• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#10421 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:44 AM

Seriously wondering the same thing.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#10422 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:17 PM

A toxic mix of individual greed, perverted divine election, and assumed rights created from the previous two are at the core.

Stir and mix and the absolved responsibilities to one another become extreme.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10423 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 18 April 2020 - 04:16 PM

What do you all think happens if a militia tries something, like overthrowing a state government?
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#10424 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 April 2020 - 04:22 PM

Didn't something like that happen in a town or county within the past decade? I remember there was some stand off.

#10425 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 18 April 2020 - 04:42 PM

View PostAptorian, on 18 April 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

Didn't something like that happen in a town or county within the past decade? I remember there was some stand off.

Yeah, there was a stand off for something in Oregon and militia have popped up to defend this or that. But I don't believe outright insurrection has happened recently. Just those people saying "CIVIL WAR" that made me wonder.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#10426 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 April 2020 - 05:55 PM

I'm worried there's an outside chance Trump is treating this as a test run for refusing to concede the election. (Particularly if Biden doesn't offer him immunity from prosecution, or at least a chance to 'escape' to Russia.) OTOH the military would be far more important than armed insurrection. But whether Trump fully understands that is questionable. And Trump could use the threat of mass uprisings as leverage.

#10427 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:00 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 18 April 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

What do you all think happens if a militia tries something, like overthrowing a state government?

Maybe it'd be a good thing. The last one led to the Constitutional Convention (Shay's Rebellion) and the second one (the Civil War) led to the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. Either way, they led to necessary changes that needed to be made in the U.S. Perhaps it would ultimately be a good way to finally reframe the 2nd Amendment and its ridiculous breadth.

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 18 April 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

I'm worried there's an outside chance Trump is treating this as a test run for refusing to concede the election. (Particularly if Biden doesn't offer him immunity from prosecution, or at least a chance to 'escape' to Russia.) OTOH the military would be far more important than armed insurrection. But whether Trump fully understands that is questionable. And Trump could use the threat of mass uprisings as leverage.

All the people I'm around (to be specific, that is pretty much all conservatives generally, and certainly hardcore religious conservative religious right more recently believe Trump has 4 more years (at the least) coming. But, it could be the Trump Admin floating that balloon.

I'm far more easily convinced that it is simply Trump being supremely ignorant and just shooting from the hip with no one there to stop him from saying it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10428 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:04 PM

Daddy, you went out for cigarettes years ago!

(I actually don't know how long you went without posting in this thread at all but my impression is that it was a long time.)

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#10429 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

See the thread in The Phoenix Inn wherein I discuss my 7 month sabbatical to Luddite land.

So, 7 months at the least.

#10430 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:17 PM

Nice. Welcome back.

(I haven't been to the Phoenix Inn in literal years. Even when I was more active here, it terrified me.)

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#10431 User is offline   Zaloopa 

• Photomancer

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 18 April 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

All the websites for these protests (things like reopenmn.com, reopenpa.com, reopenma.com) were all registered around the same time by someone in florida and they all have almost identical descriptions for their facebook groups. It's almost as if these grassroots protests are actually being organized at the national level by someone.
Everything is a Nemesis plot.

#10432 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:15 PM

Think it's a false flag operation?
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#10433 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

I think we are getting a lot of mixed messages and very little leadership. So unions and grocers actually want to close down stores outside of curbside pickup and deliveries. But we are told we should reopen the economy. Oh, and the US is at about 40k deaths so far. The US is broken.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#10434 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:07 PM

The US is beyond broken. The more I read in here the less hope I have for you guys.

At least in an corrupt African nation I see the chance of an armed insurrection, but the wackos with guns are the 2nd amendment types that are probably diehard GOP supporters anyway.

You are fucked so badly it makes our Tory majority almost tolerable

#10435 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:09 PM

View PostMacros, on 19 April 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

The US is beyond broken. The more I read in here the less hope I have for you guys.

At least in an corrupt African nation I see the chance of an armed insurrection, but the wackos with guns are the 2nd amendment types that are probably diehard GOP supporters anyway.

You are fucked so badly it makes our Tory majority almost tolerable

Well that’s comforting.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#10436 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:12 PM

Sorry, immediately after posting I realised how shitty that reads.

I guess I mean it puts a better light on our chances here of getting out from under Tory rule compared to the state of the USA getting away from the GOP.

I feel for Americans, I would be leaving or trying to if I lived there, I can't imagine me being able to stay non partisan under such a completely broken system

#10437 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:50 PM

No worries. As an American, I already know I’m screwed.

#10438 User is offline   Zaloopa 

• Photomancer

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:18 PM

View PostGarak, on 19 April 2020 - 07:15 PM, said:

Think it's a false flag operation?

Nah, just astroturfing.
Everything is a Nemesis plot.

#10439 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:41 AM

'Donald Trump's re-election campaign sent out an email to his supporters on Friday accusing the Democratic Party of "trying to STEAL THE ELECTION["...]

"The Democrats are trying to STEAL THE ELECTION right before our eyes. They can't stand that the American People are rejecting Sleepy Joe Biden - a pathetic excuse for a candidate - so now they're trying to stuff the ballot boxes with FAKE and FRAUDULENT votes.

[...] The future of our Nation relies the integrity of our Election in November, and the Democrats are trying to RIG THE SYSTEM against President Trump by not requiring a Voter I.D. - it's madness."

[...]

Washington Post columnist and University College London assistant professor of global politics Brian Klass warns [...]

"Trump is calling for insurrection with reference to guns at the same time his campaign is falsely claiming that Democrats are trying to "steal" the election. This is what despots do. It's dangerous. He's laying the groundwork for his supporters to reject results and use violence."'

https://dailyboulder...H6m1wB0mDZbFraQ

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 April 2020 - 03:42 AM

#10440 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:32 PM

The rest of this year is going to be fascinating in the US. Will Trump successfully deflect blame on to governors and convince people who don't pay all that much attention to politics to vote for him? Will enough people be able to hold their noses and vote for Biden? (I'm not sure we've really had this much of a "lesser of two evils" vote in quite a while.) If Biden wins, will Trump/Fox News concede? or will they blame voting irregularities that don't actually exist? Will everyone be able to vote or will the Republicans manage to stop the expansion of vote-by-mail in key swing states?

I think its kind of ironic that after the Democrats had their primary of basically "slight change to the status quo" vs "major changes," we get a crisis that shows how much change is needed in this country. And we have the Democratic candidate who wants to turn the clock back to at least 2008.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users