• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dassem

#1 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, saw it coming, even if not exactly how it would happen. Would have been nice to see him swing a sword at any point, though! Still, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

What a life he's had! So far!
'All Eres were bonecasters, Trull Sengar. For they were the first to carry the spark of awareness, the first so gifted by the spirits.'

#2 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

This is really more of a comment. Couldnt this have gone in one of the created threads?

No offence intended I just wonder if you have anything else to add

#3 User is offline   Limper 

• Recruit

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Good to see he found cynicism (yeah, I'm a fan of it). A blow-by-blow account of his broomstick battle might have been nice, although imagination suffices. It was sort of a disturbing leapfrog, from #7 to #1. I guess it's easy to imagine he will either never be challenged, or refuse all challenges, in the Seguleh rankings. Given ICE's portrayal of his emotional state, and the hint that #8 might soon be #3 (although #6 and #3 survive), I think its obvious Dassem will lead the Seguleh home and then go his own way again. Hopefully he'll make a great addition to K'rul's bar and tavern, although I rather doubt it will come to pass.

#4 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, could be he'll leave after he gets them home without wiping out people along the way. Heh. OTOH, if he stays with them, he'll get to practice and meditate all he wants. He either began or found a monestary in the mountains where they practiced martial arts, and there's no place more suited to that than with the Seguleh. But he'd be free from their challenges. "...by tradition the mark of the First cannot be taken . . . it can only be offered." So he could rule them, guiding them away from bloodshed whenever necessary, until he chooses to offer it to someone else.
'All Eres were bonecasters, Trull Sengar. For they were the first to carry the spark of awareness, the first so gifted by the spirits.'

#5 User is offline   Midnight 

• Captain

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

My main issue with Dassem in this one was that he didn't seem particularly tormented. He had less of the brooding grief we've seen in other books, which doesn't seem to fit with him as Lord of Tragedy, especially given his guilt over Rake in TTH.

#6 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

That may be true, but I'd rather that than have him brooding and whining throughout the book. Heh. But... The guy's had quite a life. He's seen many, many, many people die that he didn't want to see die. Most especially his daughter, eh? And I'm sure he's had to kill some folks he very much did not want to kill. So maybe he gets over things a little more quickly at this point? *shrug* Just brainstorming. :p

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

I figured the whole point of his self-exile to the temple was to reconcile events in TtH. He would have known he was manipulated by Rake so i doubt 'grief' would be his main issue so much as moving past several years worth of seeking revenge on Hood.

As an interesting aside, with him as First, arguably, the Seguleh will become even better at what they do, but also less isolationist. His stay at the temple aside, Dassem in his Traveller aspect doesn't seem like the type to hide on an Island forever if major events were happening elsewhere.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

I think the whole point of the Dassem storyline in this book was that he felt that he had been used and now no longer wanted to be a part of this game of ascendants. He saw the Seguleh being used as well and so he came to intervene. Now that he has taken them back to the island I don't think he will venture forth into the world any time soon. He's distancing himself from the world. He needs time to think and he's now found a people to guide. If Dassem shows up in the series again within a time span of a decade I would be very disappointed. I could see Dassem taking the Seguleh with him to fight a worthy cause if an when it is needed, but not any time soon.

#9 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Agreed with Apt above. Dassem's story is done. It would be fairly dissapointing if he turned up in either of ICE's remaining books or in the Karsa trilogy.

#10 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

My impression was that Dassem would lead the Seguleh for the rest of his life. Nice ending for the character.

I dont think anyone was alowed to chalenge the first to a duel.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 01 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

#11 User is offline   Nelix Q 

• Recruit

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yep- I think Dassem is done now- at least for a good long while. My impression is that he wants to be well and truly out of the gods/ ascendants game, but leading the Seguleh will give him a direction and purpose in life. In regards to him jumping from 7th to 1st- well, I don't think any of these Seguleh have actually seen him fight- so he might be worthy of the role. We know he beat Rake, could he have beaten Jan? (My memory of TtH is very hazy, I cant remember if his fight with Rake was a close one or not?).

I think he'll re-surface at some point, but not in any major role.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

It would be interesting to see how this development affects his followers at the temple as well as the cult on Jacuruku that we saw in Stoneweilder.

#13 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostAbyss, on 17 May 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

It would be interesting to see how this development affects his followers at the temple as well as the cult on Jacuruku that we saw in Stoneweilder.

I don't think the Jacurukans would care much - they were just using him as a possible research subject into Ascendancy and immortality, but I'm sure they can find other research subjects.

Unless you meant the Dessembrae religious movement in Jourilan...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostD, on 18 May 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

...Unless you meant the Dessembrae religious movement in Jourilan...

Yeah that, tho the Jacuruku experimental angle is interesting too.

#15 User is offline   Braven's barber 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

Slightly tangental, but....any ideas as to how the mask of segulah #1 ended up on a dead skykeep Rake pried out of a block of ice?
Ocean, ocean.....I'll beat you in the end

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

Did I imagine it, or didn't that old dying Seguleh mention that it was secretly given to Rake on his visit to the island?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

I think you imagined it. However, that's about the only explanation I've heard that even makes remote sense, even though it's stretching it.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 06 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#18 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

could apsal'ara have been involved? she popped up a thousand years ago or so, and i think that's when rake dragnipur'd her. perhaps she'd just stolen the Unmarred and then lost it in Moon's Spawn. all wild speculation of course.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#19 User is offline   pippin 

• Corporal

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostNelix Q, on 26 April 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Yep- I think Dassem is done now- at least for a good long while. My impression is that he wants to be well and truly out of the gods/ ascendants game, but leading the Seguleh will give him a direction and purpose in life. In regards to him jumping from 7th to 1st- well, I don't think any of these Seguleh have actually seen him fight- so he might be worthy of the role. We know he beat Rake, could he have beaten Jan? (My memory of TtH is very hazy, I cant remember if his fight with Rake was a close one or not?).

I think he'll re-surface at some point, but not in any major role.

He only defeated Rake, because Anomander wanted to lose.

#20 User is offline   hadoken13 

• Corporal

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostAptorius, on 21 February 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

I think the whole point of the Dassem storyline in this book was that he felt that he had been used and now no longer wanted to be a part of this game of ascendants. He saw the Seguleh being used as well and so he came to intervene. Now that he has taken them back to the island I don't think he will venture forth into the world any time soon. He's distancing himself from the world. He needs time to think and he's now found a people to guide. If Dassem shows up in the series again within a time span of a decade I would be very disappointed. I could see Dassem taking the Seguleh with him to fight a worthy cause if an when it is needed, but not any time soon.

That pretty much makes sense and would be a good way to re-introduce his character and the Seguleh again.

View Postworrywort, on 02 June 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Did I imagine it, or didn't that old dying Seguleh mention that it was secretly given to Rake on his visit to the island?

What book was it in again where it was mentioned that when Rake visited the Isle of the Seguleh he was consistently challenged and had to leave to not have to kill any more? I could well picture the mask being given to Rake but him not putting it on.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users