• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who is the Cover Art Guy?

#1 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

After reading the entire book, I still cannot figure out who the cover art guy is. Corian Lim makes some sort of sense in a purely physical sense, but as a main character? Nope.

Bizarre.

Anyone have good alternatives?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Cover Guy is known as the Ascendant of Marketing in the world of Malazan. The knight of High House publishing

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Generic character I imagine, the only people that would fit are one of the Lims or Bellam though he hardly features...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Corian would be my guess as well, but yeah...not sure why.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

It cannot beat the US cover of GOTM or TBH for sheer bullshit with nothing to do with the book/geniunely the worst choice of scene in the world.

#6 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

tiam, on 26 January 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

It cannot beat the US cover of GOTM or TBH for sheer bullshit with nothing to do with the book/geniunely the worst choice of scene in the world.

The Bonehunters cover is of a scene within the book - when a Cabal carriage overturns.

The GotM cover had someone obviously supposed to be Whiskeyjack, a random lady and perhaps the burning Mouse Quarter behind them. That's at least book related in a way.

This is sheer bullshit.

I've noted the positives of the book elsewhere, but there are growing negatives everywhere about this.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

amphibian, on 26 January 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

tiam, on 26 January 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

The Bonehunters cover is of a scene within the book - when a Cabal carriage overturns.

The GotM cover had someone obviously supposed to be Whiskeyjack, a random lady and perhaps the burning Mouse Quarter behind them. That's at least book related in a way.

This is sheer bullshit.

I've noted the positives of the book elsewhere, but there are growing negatives everywhere about this.

Hence why I put nothing to do with the book / the worst choice of scene. Out of all the scenes they could depict, even a generic fantasy one like OST, they picked a few people falling down a hill in the snow

#8 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

The scene for tBH book cover is supposedly the only malazan cover with any collaboration between author and artist, SE described the scene to the artist (and possibly picked it). The fact that it is a crap cover none the less is something of a mystery to me.

As to who is on the front cover... no idea. Personally I wish they had shifted the focus to the city and put the tyrants dome in, as the city in the background (i especially like the gas lit buildings) is much better than generic fantasy duellist.

#9 User is offline   NickO 

• Recruit

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

I've always enjoyed unravelling the initial mystery of covers after I've finished a book and I think a lot of other people do the same. Also when I peruse my book collection I always enjoy the memories the covers bring forth.
The choice to throw away this pleasure was short sighted by the illustrator who clearly in my opinion doesn't realize the full extent of their craft. Or maybe the illustrator was unable to acquire a copy of the book to pick a scene/character to draw although I doubt this as he has portrayed the actual city very well.

Book covers should be an extension to the literature.

Personally I would've loved the cover to feature Spindle in all his hairy shirted glory.

This post has been edited by NickO: 02 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

#10 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

NickO, on 02 February 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

The choice to throw away this pleasure was short sighted by the illustrator who clearly in my opinion doesn't realize the full extent of their craft.

Steve Stone is an excellent cover artist. You can't blame him for the publisher's demands.

It's also quite likely that he knew what Darujhistan is supposed to look like from being the Malazan artist from the start. I don't know how Steve Stone operates, but I strongly suspect that what often happens (I'm pretty certain it's the method of at least some artists, especially since covers need to start being designed long before the book is ready) is that they're given a few options in terms of character and setting and the relevant passage to read- if that's the case, he may have picked a character under the impression that he had a bigger role than he really did.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Corien is about the only character who fits the cover, which is as silIy as it sounds. I think there may have been a loose intention for it to be Jan, but while artistic liberty works
for the clothes and sword, with no mask that's a compete fail.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users