• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The I got my copy thread

#1 User is offline   Varan 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Rang up the local waterstones, found they had a copy, skipped off my last lecture and here I am with a tome of malazan goodness next to me :)

and for the narcisstic amongst you a little something to chew over

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Varan: 18 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

#2 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

I hope you die in a freak yachting accident for rubbing it in that youve got it. Also the prologue, First and some of the Second chapter have been oiut for a while now and most have read them.

Ill be getting it tomorrow but still... anger :)

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Mine should also be coming in tomorrow. Until then I keep refreshing the tracking page.

#4 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

Got mine, am about 200 pages into it. I get the feeling ICE has consulted rather more extensively than he might have done otherwise with SE for some of the character voices, as many of them ring much truer than they have done in his previous works. Not mentioning any names for fear of spoilers, but I am enjoying this book in a way I haven't enjoyed an ICE book since NoK. His prose is _hugely_ improved. And I think I can say with certainty that I prefer his snippets at the beginning of chapters to SE's later efforts.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 18 January 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I am enjoying this book in a way I haven't enjoyed an ICE book since NoK.

I don't really know how to take this statement!

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

Almost got it today, saw it in the shop, nearly bought it, but I can't spare £20 for a book at the moment. TWENTY FUCKING POUNDS.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   arbitrage 

• Recruit

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

Haha. Just got an email from Amazon thanking me for my order....I was thinking, what order? Then I realized it was my kindle preorder for OST. Checked my kindle and there it is ready to read. Delivered all the way to Canada in mere seconds. Only problem is I'm just 50% though my TTHs re-read but it's nice to know its ready and waiting. Happy reading to all!

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

This thread is an invitation for a beating. BOOO!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Dispatched from amazon; might arrive today. I've still got to finish The Fall of Hyperion, though. I've planned this so badly and now I'm not ready...
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#10 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Mine was on the table when I got in last night - really enjoyed the dramatis personae but am resisting temptation to launch in as 20% into DoD on my full re-read (whaich has included ROTCG and SW so a real marathon) so after my trip to Joburg next week might be just about ready to launch in

#11 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

:)

#12 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Oh god...it's here. I've got to finish Hyperion over the next couple of days so that I can start it.Posted Image
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#13 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 18 January 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Almost got it today, saw it in the shop, nearly bought it, but I can't spare £20 for a book at the moment. TWENTY FUCKING POUNDS.
Agreed that it's obscene, especially with it going for £12 on Amazon. Waterstone's (or, as now known due to apostrophe-hating imbelciles' actions, Waterstones) often offer popular fantasy hardbacks at half price when they first come out (as they did with aDwD) but evidently they think Malazan works too 'niche' to bother discounting. Still, their loss.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#14 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

what is the best place for a us resident to order it from? this release date snuck up on me and I haven't even ordered yet lol
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#15 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostD, on 19 January 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 18 January 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Agreed that it's obscene, especially with it going for £12 on Amazon. Waterstone's (or, as now known due to apostrophe-hating imbelciles' actions, Waterstones) often offer popular fantasy hardbacks at half price when they first come out (as they did with aDwD) but evidently they think Malazan works too 'niche' to bother discounting. Still, their loss.

Definitely, since I checked Amazon and their kindle version is about £11. Fucking yoink. Let's see how long I go before realising that first spelling of someone's name was one of the inevitable mistakes, eh?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#16 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Mine was discounted by a fiver at Waterstone's.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#17 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

this book is excellent so far...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#18 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Shifted my Kindle over to UK so that I could buy OST. Paid about $17 for it (fucking ouch), but I'm willing to bite the bullet for Malazan.

So far, the book has been excellent. No super weird sentence structures or insufferable characters. I'm only about 1/10th of the way through the book, but I'm already completely absorbed by the plot. Can't wait to see where everything is going. At least so far, all of the plot lines interest me.

Provided that ICE keeps it up throughout the entire novel, OST is easily going to be his best Malazan book.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#19 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

A month ago I went in to my favorite book store and asked if they'd ordered OST yet and I was assured that they would have copies on the release date. Called in today to hear if they had arrived yet. NO SUCH BOOK LISTED! I was told instead that I could order one through them now and it might arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. THREE WEEKS!

God dammit. I wish my kindle wasn't broken.

#20 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 18 January 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 18 January 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

I am enjoying this book in a way I haven't enjoyed an ICE book since NoK.

I don't really know how to take this statement!

I meant that ICE's weaknesses as a writer were really only evident when he started to tackle longer works, with multiple POVs and multi-threaded plots. NoK didn't have as much scope for going wrong, and had far more time for polishing. He's improved in each successive novel in terms of character voicing, pacing, prose style, and word choice, and with OST I feel he's really finally comfortable as a writer. It's sucked me in easily as well as GotM and DG. I haven't really got a bad word to say about it thus far. Let's see if he can keep it up all the way and deliver a satisfying ending. If he can, I will consider OST his first truly successful Malazan novel, on a par with SE. Not that he needs my approbation, of course, but he'll have it.
-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users