• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The I got my copy thread

#21 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

Completely agree with Use of Weapons concerning ICE's improved skills. I enjoyed a lot of the stuff that happened in his first three books, but I felt that they would have been better had Erikson been writing them. Not to say the books were horrible - they were a step above most other fantasy out there these days, plus they were in the Malazan universe. Enough said.

Orb, Sceptre, Throne, though, has been perfect so far. I have zero qualms with the writing. The pacing has been excellent (no dull moments, stuff is always happening). I'm not confused with constant PoV hopping, and he's continuing all of the plot lines quite well, rather than just leaving one to sit for dozens and dozens of pages before it's returned to. I'm really excited to see where the book is going, and I already have numerous theories about the Tyrants and Seguleh and such. I have yet to find myself irritated by any of the main characters, and so far he's transitioned the ones coming from Erikson flawlessly.

The stuff on the Shores of Creation is really catching my interest as well. Won't get into that discussion much here, though.

This also gets me even more excited for his two coming novels, especially Assail. I'd been a bit worried about both this book and Assail, thinking that ICE might not do justice to this (a semi-continuation of TtH) and all of the stuff that has been building up on Assail. Given the quality of this book so far, though, I think it's safe to say the his Assail novel will certainly live up to our expectations.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#22 User is offline   Kruppe 

• Recruit

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

Being in New Zealand i thought i would have to wait ages to read this one. Kindle to the rescue though and all is well!

#23 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 19 January 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Oh god...it's here. I've got to finish Hyperion over the next couple of days so that I can start it.Posted Image

Having to read Hyperion before Malazan....

I'm so unbelievably jealous of what you are going to experience. Don't rush Hyperion.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

I am going to say something blasphemous here. If you are reading Hyperion, screw OST. Read The Fall of Hyperion when you are done with Hyperion. They are meant to be read together and the pay off is god damn awesome.

#25 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

Never read Hyperion. Not a sci fi fan tbh.

Also I got my copy today so, gods willing, I will be balls deep in some Genabackan action until the early hours

#26 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

I had a little mis-understanding with the publisher who supposed to send me an early copy, but that's worked out now. It's probably winging its way over the Atlantic right now and hopefully will by in hand by early next week.

#27 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Just finished it. Damn that was good. Use of Weapons and defiance are so right.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#28 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

This book was available in our local book store since the 19th. £20 tho. Thats about a thousand dollars.

Will try and wait for it to get cheaper and for my holiday in april. If i can not wait, ill have to sell my body. Thats about 50 dollars

This post has been edited by Flawed: 23 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

My copy is in transit.
And since it's in transit from the silly British Empire, using Royal Mail or something equally sily, i cannot even track it.
And of course, at the end of that, it gets passed to Canada Post to give to me.
AND if it doesn't arrive by Friday i will be away and have to wait an additional ten days or more to read it.

Hate.
Hate life.
Hate you who already have it.
Hate mail. Hate hatey hate hate and be hatin' HATE.

- Abyss, now with 33% MORE HATE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30 User is offline   Seiko 

• Pretentious Plebeian

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

My copy arrived today, yay. Paperback version, for £11 via Amazon. Good deal.

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

My copy arrived today from the UK and I just started it over lunch. About 3/4 done the prologue only so far, but I'm liking it already.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#32 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#33 User is offline   Anomander Morg 

• Recruit

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

Well I feel stupid now for ordering the PS Publishing version, thought that would arriving well before any others.

Ho hum.

#34 User is offline   Gaarheid 

• Recruit

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

The ABC in Amsterdam has it (and so do I).:p

#35 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostAnomander Morg, on 24 January 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Well I feel stupid now for ordering the PS Publishing version, thought that would arriving well before any others.

Ho hum.

Yeah, that's been annoying me. Still, at least it means I don't get the PS all grubby from the first few reads
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#36 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostH.D., on 20 January 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 19 January 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Oh god...it's here. I've got to finish Hyperion over the next couple of days so that I can start it.Posted Image

Having to read Hyperion before Malazan....

I'm so unbelievably jealous of what you are going to experience. Don't rush Hyperion.

View PostAptorius, on 20 January 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

I am going to say something blasphemous here. If you are reading Hyperion, screw OST. Read The Fall of Hyperion when you are done with Hyperion. They are meant to be read together and the pay off is god damn awesome.

Sat down yesterday and read the shit out of it. A truly outstanding book. Started OST of course but I'm itching to read The Rise of Endymion, now. May have to do that before a Malazan reread...
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

OST took no time at all to suck me right into ALL the plot threads. Seriously, I am already fascinated with all of them. Most especially, 1st real personal insight into the Seguleh.

Oh, I'm nearing the 100 page mark BTW. :p

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Posted Image

- Abyss, with all the jealous rage, all the jealous time.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 January 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

- Abyss, with all the jealous rage, all the jealous time.

Ah, we missed you rage cat! We haven't seen you since someone stopped up Abyss' copy of TCG at the border. :p

#40 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

About 60% of the way through. My reading time has been infringed upon by having to visit my girlfriend's relatives (we live in Iowa, they're in Ohio), but I'm reading every chance I get. The story is still rolling along fantastically. A major strength of this entry is definitely the fact that we're not being given an entirely new cast to work with. Instead, we mostly have characters from previous ICE/Erikson novels.

Enjoying it greatly so far. Looking forward to seeing how a lot of the mysteries unfold. In true Malazan style, we have threads all the way back from Gardens of the Moon being resolved (or at least expanded upon) here. My only qualm at this point is how Kruppe is written. He doesn't pontificate as much as he does in Erikson's novels, and he refers to himself in the first person just as much, if not more, than he does in the third. His actions remain true to Kruppe, however, and all of the other characters have been spot on. Others have even been expanded, which is really nice.

The book has posed many questions, but it's given a lot more answers so far, which is seriously nice. I enjoyed Stonewielder, but I was a bit disappointed by the fact that some central things remained unexplained (mainly, who exactly are the Stormriders?).
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users