• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WoT books i love/hate/like split from 'What I'm Reading' thread

#41 User is offline   a Reindeer 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Haha, there is something distressing about seeing Branderson called "BS." XD

Ah, I have always strongly disliked Nynaeve and Elayne, but have generally appreciated Cadsuane. She, at least, has experience and precedent and an apparent right to be pompous. Nynaeve just does it to annoy me. ;)

#42 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, definitely not trying to imply there aren't a lot of Cadsuane-lovers around. Just that the haters in general tend to be the loudest. I had to create a quarantine for Egwene discussion on Theoryland because every time her name came up in a thread it would devolve into an orgy of Egwene-bashing. Now if that happens, posts get moved to the Egwene-bashing thread. Sometimes whole threads get moved there. Shortly after I set that up at Theoryland, people started begging for the same thing at Dragonmount, but there it had to be extended to all Aes Sedai.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#43 User is offline   a Reindeer 

• Recruit

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Haha, that's actually pretty hilarious. My irritation with Nynaeve is not something I can really express with words, but it's with her character itself, not with how RJ wrote her. XD The existence of rant threads about Cadsuane and Egwene and others seems to indicate that RJ was quite successful in his characterization.

#44 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I started reading this series back in 1991 or 1992 when the Eye of the World paperback came out. I was a huge fan for many years and stuck with the series until 2006 or 2007 when Knife of Dreams came out. After 4 REALLY boring books I was fed up. I sold my entire 1st Edition set of hardcovers and have never read any of it again.

Sure I'd love to know the end, but my god can I really read another 3000 pages just to find out?

#45 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

It's times like these I'm thankful that COT was the first book I had to wait for. ;) I can relate, though, since I have sort of the same feeling for ASOIAF after two slow books (relatively early in the series). I really loved all the 'slow' WoT books, though. I think I said that already.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#46 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

Maybe I'll finish it. I'll read the reviews for the final one. It does sound like the last 3 books will be infinity better than 8-11. It's hard for me to believe just how much I loath this series now. Thankfully Malazan did not go off the rails like WOT.

I emailed Harriet after the news of Sanderson getting the job and suggested that after they finish the whole series, let a team do an abridged action edit and whittle the series down to six books. That would be incredible if done correctly. Excise tons of mediocre storylines and just go for the truly EPIC, pivotal, and badassery of the series. That would be a nightmare job for an editor though.

#47 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

View PostDeck of Dragons, on 10 April 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

Thankfully Malazan did not go off the rails like WOT.

I think you'll find at least two dozen people on these forums who would argue that.

#48 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

View PostTerez, on 06 April 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Yeah, definitely not trying to imply there aren't a lot of Cadsuane-lovers around. Just that the haters in general tend to be the loudest. I had to create a quarantine for Egwene discussion on Theoryland because every time her name came up in a thread it would devolve into an orgy of Egwene-bashing. Now if that happens, posts get moved to the Egwene-bashing thread. Sometimes whole threads get moved there. Shortly after I set that up at Theoryland, people started begging for the same thing at Dragonmount, but there it had to be extended to all Aes Sedai.

yah, pretty much hate all of them know-it-all-bitches aes sedai, esp egwene & nynaeve, (not including) moiraine, though not as much but by a hair, she redeemed herself in my eye by taking lanfear head-on,
elayne for being this daughter-heir with her rising chin-technique,
aviendha is cool when she's being aiel, but when influenced by the others, not,
min is the only one i deem normal, i like her visions gift/curse

by book- i would have to say i liked best would have to be shadow rising, liked them aiel(and their history) before they were put to the sidelines

hate - books 7-9,
books 1-3 and 5-6 were ok,
can't comment on COT, KOD and new spring as well as BS's, as i have yet to read them,

may get back to it, when its all finished,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#49 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostJLV, on 10 April 2012 - 03:06 AM, said:

View PostDeck of Dragons, on 10 April 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

Thankfully Malazan did not go off the rails like WOT.

I think you'll find at least two dozen people on these forums who would argue that.

Check.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users