Malazan Empire: WoT books i love/hate/like - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WoT books i love/hate/like split from 'What I'm Reading' thread

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

View PostMuttonChops, on 16 December 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

Finished The Great Hunt yesterday and then took a quick detour through the land of non-fiction with The Last Lecture, the wife had been on me to read it and it was quite moving. Now with that finished I'm moving on with my first reading of the Wheel of Time series with The Dragon Reborn. I am enjoying it so far but I have heard that it loses quality in the mid books.

The one you are reading and the one that follows it (THE FIRES OF HEAVEN) are great (some of the best RJ ever did), the 5th and 6th books are just okay (the 6th, however, contains a really epic battle!), but that's when things really slow down, and don't improve until Sanderson took over with THE GATHERING STORM. Books 8, 9, 10, and even some of 11, not a lot really happens and characters get really annoying...but not to worry, if you can slog through those, the series gets exponentially better once Sanderson took the reigns. If you at all get annoyed by the mid books you can totally skip book 10 (CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT) without missing much of a beat and ask one of us who has read it to tell you the ONE thing that happens in that book that is worthwhile, then you can move onto KNIFE Of DREAMS which has bad bits too, but things started to happen again at least.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

Honestly Wheel of Time 4-6 is the highlight of the series. Book 5, The Fires of Heaven, is my personal favorite. 7-11 is the low point.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 16 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

#3 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 December 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

Finished The Great Hunt yesterday and then took a quick detour through the land of non-fiction with The Last Lecture, the wife had been on me to read it and it was quite moving. Now with that finished I'm moving on with my first reading of the Wheel of Time series with The Dragon Reborn. I am enjoying it so far but I have heard that it loses quality in the mid books.

The one you are reading and the one that follows it (THE FIRES OF HEAVEN) are great (some of the best RJ ever did), the 5th and 6th books are just okay (the 6th, however, contains a really epic battle!), but that's when things really slow down, and don't improve until Sanderson took over with THE GATHERING STORM. Books 8, 9, 10, and even some of 11, not a lot really happens and characters get really annoying...but not to worry, if you can slog through those, the series gets exponentially better once Sanderson took the reigns. If you at all get annoyed by the mid books you can totally skip book 10 (CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT) without missing much of a beat and ask one of us who has read it to tell you the ONE thing that happens in that book that is worthwhile, then you can move onto KNIFE Of DREAMS which has bad bits too, but things started to happen again at least.

Just a note, The Shadow Risiing (book 4) follows TDR, and then The Fires of Heaven (book 5) follows TSR.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 16 December 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

Honestly Wheel of Time 4-6 is the highlight of the series. Book 5, The Fires of Heaven, is my personal favorite. 7-11 is the low point.

^^This, me too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

View Postansible, on 16 December 2011 - 05:10 PM, said:

Just a note, The Shadow Risiing (book 4) follows TDR, and then The Fires of Heaven (book 5) follows TSR.

Ah right. Sorry, Thanks for the correction.

#6 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 December 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

View Postansible, on 16 December 2011 - 05:10 PM, said:

Ah right. Sorry, Thanks for the correction.

That pretty much falls in line with what I've heard and read here on the forums previously. I'm hoping that with my reading speed and working on my Master's will make it such that I can read the thing straight through to the end, which will hopefully alleviate the dullness of the lesser quality books. I got sucked into this by a friend at work badgering me about not reading WoT when I've read so much other fantasy and the fact that the 1st book was only $2.99 on my nook and had a different cover. I've slogged my way through some crap books before so I have hope that I can make it through.
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#7 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

They're really not crap books, though.

Even the slower, not-particularly-good-plot-wise books are much better than a lot of other fantasy.

#8 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostJLV, on 20 December 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:

Even the slower, not-particularly-good-plot-wise books are much better than a lot of other fantasy.

I agree with you, I enjoyed all the books but some were better than others. It is definately worth it just to read TGS and ToM though as these are just amazing. The first six and the last 3 are awesome. (The last one isn't out yet but I still think it will be).
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

View PostTattersail, on 20 December 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

I agree with you, I enjoyed all the books but some were better than others. It is definately worth it just to read TGS and ToM though as these are just amazing. The first six and the last 3 are awesome. (The last one isn't out yet but I still think it will be).

Indeed. I just think that the pace slows way down and things don't happen much in the lesser volumes, they are still decent enough parts of the story (and not crap, perse), you just expect more to happen in 800-900 page books is all. They are well padded.

#10 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

You could argue they need to be, the world is so big and the spread so far apart that you need so many words to create the feel of doom, the darkness gathering in Rand, the intergration of all the races of people, what's happening in different parts of the world, what sort of things are happening with the bad guys. I guess you may like it to be a bit more fast paced, same with other people but for me I wouldn't have continued if it didn't peak my interest and keep it there. I liked reading about Tuon for example. I mention three book series Malazan, WoT and Harry Potter as my all time favourites. (Although Dresden is rapidly climbing up the list). Personal taste though. Malazan is my number one.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

(MODGOD aside to note If this goes on much longer i'll shift the posts to a new thread in the RJ/BS subforum.)

Arguably, WoT books 7-10 could be cut down to one awesome book with no negative impact.

It's not that each entire book is crap, rather it's that there is SO MUCH filler and none-movement in between each moment of awesome. Sure, stuff and even important stuff happens in each book, but in most it was 600ish pages of braid pulling, skirt smoothing, Aes Sedai plotting, pointless political maneuvering, Forsaken standing in corners chuckling evilly and Rand or Perrin angsting about whatever while Matt complains about not getting laid women, then FINALLY something awesome happens in the last 25 pages or so, which tends to really bring home the point that the reader just waded through 600 pages of braid pulling etc just for that one glorious moment where Nyneave stops whining, smacks Rand upside the head then yanks out her own braid and uses it to duel six Shadowfriend blademasters into minced meat which she then bakes into a pie and express posts to the Shadow with a postcard that reads 'You're next'.

- Abyss, may have fudged detail or two there.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

I do feel that in WoT, the sense of acheivement when a plot thread is resolved is commensurate with the time invested in that plot in the books. For some of the threads, a lot of fantasy authors would have given us neat resolutions within the same book, or at least in the book after the situation was set up. One of the pleasures of WoT, for me, is the drawn-out nature of some of the plot situations, that made them feel much more real than many 'just-so' resolutions. In additions, the sheer weight of words that lead up those character moments make them amazingly cathartic when they do happen. My favourite example, and there are many, is

Spoiler

It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 20 December 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

I do feel that in WoT, the sense of acheivement when a plot thread is resolved is commensurate with the time invested in that plot in the books. For some of the threads, a lot of fantasy authors would have given us neat resolutions within the same book, or at least in the book after the situation was set up. One of the pleasures of WoT, for me, is the drawn-out nature of some of the plot situations, that made them feel much more real than many 'just-so' resolutions. In additions, the sheer weight of words that lead up those character moments make them amazingly cathartic when they do happen. My favourite example, and there are many, is

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Nyneave's Moments of Awesome were generally among the shining good bits in the 7-10 stretch.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

The first five get progressively better. I think #4 is my favorite, because it gives you the full backstory of what really happened in AoL. But in those books you had a sense things were going somewhere.

#6 is your first clue the wheels are starting to spin, but you get Dumai's Wells at the end which is Asha'manfucknuts awesome. Plus you are introduced to the True Power and Shaidar Haran. So I gave RJ a mulligan on that one.

Then...it falls off the cliff of crap.

I haven't read anything past Winter's Heart (or maybe the next one, I can't remember, after #7 it all runs together), but when A Memory of Light comes out, I will go to the bookstore, read the last few chapters, put it back on the shelf, and content myself with knowing the end of WoT.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#16 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

I kinda stopped reading once I got to a post I wanted to reply to, so sorry if I cover something that someone's just said.

It's my opinion that you're more likely to not enjoy certain books in the series if you've had to wait for them. I'm not going to justify that if quotes and references and shit, but I've read a lot of people's opinions over time and it seems to be a fair enough assertion to make.

The first one I had to wait for was...KOD...maybe, so I was able to read all of the 'rubbish' books consecutively and without pause. While I do agree that they are most definitely slower and more tedious in places (AHEM, PERRIN) than the rest, I loved them just as much and found that other parts of them made up for those shitier (as in 'shitey', not 'shitter', or i'd have spelt it properly) bits for the books to be equally as interesting as the rest of the series.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 20 December 2011 - 10:19 PM, said:

The first five get progressively better. I think #4 is my favorite, because it gives you the full backstory of what really happened in AoL. But in those books you had a sense things were going somewhere.

#6 is your first clue the wheels are starting to spin, but you get Dumai's Wells at the end which is Asha'manfucknuts awesome. Plus you are introduced to the True Power and Shaidar Haran. So I gave RJ a mulligan on that one.

Then...it falls off the cliff of crap.

I haven't read anything past Winter's Heart (or maybe the next one, I can't remember, after #7 it all runs together), but when A Memory of Light comes out, I will go to the bookstore, read the last few chapters, put it back on the shelf, and content myself with knowing the end of WoT.

You are missing out on THE GATHERING STORM (my second fave in the entire series) and TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT as Sanderson brought back the awesome to the series!

#18 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 21 December 2011 - 12:06 AM, said:

It's my opinion that you're more likely to not enjoy certain books in the series if you've had to wait for them.

My experience is that the wait can be forgiven if the quality is there. See Dragons, A Dance with.

I have had to wait for every WoT book since the first. The waiting only heightened my enjoyment of books 2-6. And actually, the waits were never unreasonably long even after RJ's health declined. So waiting is not the issue here, at least not for me. It's the fact that the plot fell into suspended animation while Faile and Perrin chased each other (was there ever a more appropriately named character than FAILe?) and various groups of females had repressed-lesbo spanking sessions.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 21 December 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 21 December 2011 - 12:06 AM, said:

It's my opinion that you're more likely to not enjoy certain books in the series if you've had to wait for them.

My experience is that the wait can be forgiven if the quality is there. [i]See[/i] Dragons, A Dance with.

The last 300 pages yes...but the first 900 were as bloated and padded as anything in mid-WOT.

#20 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 December 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

The last 300 pages yes...but the first 900 were as bloated and padded as anything in mid-WOT.

Touche, especially as related to Dany's plotline, but at least GRRM can (so far) write characters that don't make you want to claw your eyes out of sheer boredom and annoyance.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users