• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warhammer Books And 40k!

#81 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

View PostT77, on 15 September 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

I just finished the first three Horus Hersey books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm about halfway into The Flight of Eisenstein and I'm really liking it so far. It continues the story line.

I've got FLIGHT, and FULGRIM in my ToRead pile as well. Loving this series!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#82 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

It is a good series. Some books can be skipped (Nemesis, Outcast Dead, Damnation of Phythos, Battle for the Abyss are the ones I avoided) but I love the series. Plus, they've taken most of the audio stories, eshorts and novellas and put them into anthologies, which is pretty good (the anthologies are worth it btw). On and the be aware that some books won't be what you expect, ex: everyone though Descent of Angels will show us the Dark Angels during the Heresy but instead it shows them during the Great Crusade (this actually sets up stuff that will become relevant later on).
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#83 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 September 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

I just finished the first three Horus Hersey books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm about halfway into The Flight of Eisenstein and I'm really liking it so far. It continues the story line.

Me too! I am more into fantasy than SciFi, but this is as good as any fantasy I've read, although there are fantasy and horror elements in this series. Eisenstein is getting even better as I progress.

#84 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostT77, on 16 September 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 September 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

Me too! I am more into fantasy than SciFi, but this is as good as any fantasy I've read, although there are fantasy and horror elements in this series. Eisenstein is getting even better as I progress.

Yeah, I'm a bigger fantasy guy than sic-fi...but this rides that line and leans more into fantasy so I'm totally into it. It's a sweet hybrid.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#85 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

GALAXY IN FLAMES by Ben Counter starts decently enough and the first part of the 3-part book was as good story wise as the previous volumes were...but Parts 2 and especially the messy Part 3 dropped my enjoyment quite a bit.

It really feels like this should/could have been a 150page book/novella as Counter pushes a small amount of information out to fluff up the book length. So little actually happens and happens so slowly that I keep thinking "Jeebus, get to the point."

Spoiler

Now, this doesn't sour me on Counter as a writer...but it's probably pretty telling that he only wrote one other book for the Horus series. He had big boots to fill from Abnett and McNeill...and sadly he doesn't fill them....he just kind of plods them along.

I liked the ending of the initial trilogy...but I feel like it could have been MUCH shorter and still hit all the major points.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

#86 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

GALAXY IN FLAMES by Ben Counter starts decently enough and the first part of the 3-part book was as good story wise as the previous volumes were...but Parts 2 and especially the messy Part 3 dropped my enjoyment quite a bit.

It really feels like this should/could have been a 150page book/novella as Counter pushes a small amount of information out to fluff up the book length. So little actually happens and happens so slowly that I keep thinking "Jeebus, get to the point."

Spoiler

Now, this doesn't sour me on Counter as a writer...but it's probably pretty telling that he only wrote one other book for the Horus series. He had big boots to fill from Abnett and McNeill...and sadly he doesn't fill them....he just kind of plods them along.

I liked the ending of the initial trilogy...but I feel like it could have been MUCH shorter and still hit all the major points.

Been a while since I read these QT, but I believe Flight of the Eisenstein is up next. That one is quite creepy. Plus there should now be books on the Wordbearers and the Emperor's Children, both of which were good.

Your read is bringing back memories. Someday I have to finish this series

#87 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 September 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

Been a while since I read these QT, but I believe Flight of the Eisenstein is up next. That one is quite creepy. Plus there should now be books on the Wordbearers and the Emperor's Children, both of which were good.

Your read is bringing back memories. Someday I have to finish this series

Yup, that's the one I've got next in the ToRead pile from the series. It will be cool to see the people who got aboard the Eisenstein and possibly Terra?

#88 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

Continuing on with the Horus Heresy. Finished Fulgrim and thought it was great. About a third of the way into Descent of Angels and really liking it so far. Fantastic series so far!

#89 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

So, if I wanted to read, say 3 W40K books, and consider that I was an active player back in the day, what would you recommend?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#90 User is offline   polle 

• Recruit

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 13 December 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

So, if I wanted to read, say 3 W40K books, and consider that I was an active player back in the day, what would you recommend?

The first few that come to mind are the Space Wolf novels (at least those written by William King). I have fond memories of those as they were one of the first novels I read set in the 40K universe.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords novels (Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker) are also excellent in my opnion.

Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn Trilogy is also a classic.

#91 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

I'd recommend Dan Abnett's initial Gaunt's Ghosts books (FIRST & ONLY, GHOSTMAKER, NECROPOLIS), which were my entry into the series way back when, and they contain JUST enough elements of the entire WH40K universe to give you a solid taste of everything. You get mostly Imperial Guardsmen (the Ghost books are about a specific regiment), but also some Inquisition, some Space Marines, some xenos, and the various other Adeptus chapters.

If you are into Space Marines mostly, go for anything by Graham Macneill.

If you are into Inquistion stuff, go for Abnett's EISENHORN trilogy.

And Amph usually recommends The CIAPHAS CAIN series for a kind of FLASHMAN-style set of stores with a brash captain who falls ass backwards into victories.

#92 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 December 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

I'd recommend Dan Abnett's initial Gaunt's Ghosts books (FIRST & ONLY, GHOSTMAKER, NECROPOLIS), which were my entry into the series way back when, and they contain JUST enough elements of the entire WH40K universe to give you a solid taste of everything. You get mostly Imperial Guardsmen (the Ghost books are about a specific regiment), but also some Inquisition, some Space Marines, some xenos, and the various other Adeptus chapters.

If you are into Space Marines mostly, go for anything by Graham Macneill.

If you are into Inquistion stuff, go for Abnett's EISENHORN trilogy.

And Amph usually recommends The CIAPHAS CAIN series for a kind of FLASHMAN-style set of stores with a brash captain who falls ass backwards into victories.

I highly recommend the Ciaphas Cain books. Gaunt's Ghosts are great if you want grim combat, tactics and politics. But the Cain books are the only WH40K books which are humourous, sarcastic and snarky.

#93 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

I'll second QT on gaunts ghosts

They're the only 40k I've read,but they were ace.

Black company in space

#94 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

Will be picking up on my Gaunts ghosts this week (had stopped at sabat martyr for some reason)
Quick question regarding something that was rolling around in my head at the time of reading it ( please forgive my lack of recalling names)

Spoiler

#95 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 January 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Will be picking up on my Gaunts ghosts this week (had stopped at sabat martyr for some reason)
Quick question regarding something that was rolling around in my head at the time of reading it ( please forgive my lack of recalling names)

Spoiler

Spoiler

#96 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Macros: 17 January 2018 - 09:35 PM

#97 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Agun Soric is the guy I was thinking of

#98 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

View PostMacros, on 18 January 2018 - 07:22 PM, said:

Agun Soric is the guy I was thinking of

Oooooohhhhh. I'd forgotten about him.

Yeah, I think that was just witchcraft/Psyker stuff...and not directly Chaos-related...

#99 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

Figured it wasn't chaos so was he really taken to feed the emperor then, but its the fear of chaos that the black ships can use as a reason to lift minor talents. I mean, there are high level psykers running around that are well respected aren't there?

#100 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Finished Traitor General and rolled straight in Last Command.

Traitor General was full on action but Last Command was just non stop.
And in the female head commissar we have a new umbridge level of horrid character to hate on.

Love the change in Rawne too

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users