• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warhammer Books And 40k!

#101 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

About 90 pages into Armour of Contempt.

Hot damn but that was one hell of a beach landing scene.

its no where near done yet, but its the literary equivalent of the opening of Saving Private Ryan. its set on a made up world with walking warmachines, but Abnett just takes you right into it.

ETA
Aw fuck. About halfway. They've just hooked up with the resistance.

Spoiler

Starting only in death

This post has been edited by Macros: 20 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

#102 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

Just finished only in death.

The last 20 pages were superb. Especially Harks last action.
Brutal action for the ghosts

#103 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:45 PM

I finished Anarch, the final (as in the end of the series) book in the Gaunt's Ghost series. It was terrific. I can't say too much because of spoilers, yet it has a great conflict and the characters are superb.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#104 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:44 PM

Yes to that. Anarch was excellent

#105 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

Damn, kind of want to reread the whole series now

#106 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

Want to read ANARCH but can't currently afford the hardback of it, but the paperback comes out in Jan 2020, so soon! Glad to hear that it finishes strong though!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#107 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

Given the cliffhanger you've been on for the like, last year I think you'll devour this one in a solid sitting, and have your face melted

#108 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:44 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 December 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

I finished Anarch, the final (as in the end of the series) book in the Gaunt's Ghost series. It was terrific. I can't say too much because of spoilers, yet it has a great conflict and the characters are superb.

There's more books and at least one more story arc to come, so no, it's not the final book in the series. It may be the last one for 2-3 years though as Abnett is busy working on the last few HORUS HERESY books (some rumours that he'll be writing he very last book in the series, as he wrote the first) and then wants to prioritise finishing the INQUISITOR books with the last two in the BEQUIN trilogy.

Next week a deluxe, illustrated companion guide to GAUNT'S GHOSTS comes out, the SABBAT WORLDS CRUSADE, along with a deluxe map of the entire sector. It looks pretty fancy.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#109 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

View PostWerthead, on 08 December 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 05 December 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

There's more books and at least one more story arc to come, so no, it's not the final book in the series. It may be the last one for 2-3 years though as Abnett is busy working on the last few HORUS HERESY books (some rumours that he'll be writing he very last book in the series, as he wrote the first) and then wants to prioritise finishing the INQUISITOR books with the last two in the BEQUIN trilogy.

Next week a deluxe, illustrated companion guide to GAUNT'S GHOSTS comes out, the SABBAT WORLDS CRUSADE, along with a deluxe map of the entire sector. It looks pretty fancy.

There's a full story arc to go in Gaunt's Ghosts still!?

I will read em, but I'm also happy the Inquisition books get Abnett time soon.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 08 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#110 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:34 PM

Those Horus Heresy books. Are they all prequels or do they progress the universe? I'd love to read stories set after the emperor either awakens or dies and see what happens next.

#111 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

They're pre 40k as the emperor is still alive and the space marines are everywhere.
The guard as we know it in 40k isn't so well developed.

I've read about 15 of them so far and only one that I really didn't like. A few middling ones but some excellent stuff too

#112 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:25 PM

Poking back in here.

If anyone is interested in a quick Space marines story that's not tied to any of the big arcs pick up Kearney's 'Calgars Siege' and 'Calgars Fury'

#113 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

Hmmmm

Don't go too far from starship on the premise of the Imperial guard are generally gun fodder, elite units exist for sure but as a whole they are regularly fed into the meat grinder

#114 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

Maps not required

#115 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:40 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 September 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

Wanted though unless it’s MS Paint fan art. Just want some kinda scale, planetary systems and area of the sky I look at highlighted.

I love space maps if they done right.

I went through that short story(or prologue?) quick as fuck. It was quite compelling even though it was underground which setting usually gives me the heebeejeebees.

The Sabbat Crusade alone is MASSIVE BK. You therefore won't get a galaxy map...but each book usually has maps of the planet they are on, or city schematics to ground you there...but you will not need a galaxy map as the Gaunt books never deal with the war as a whole, just their regiments involvement in the battles they fight. These are Grunt books.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#116 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:52 PM

There is the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book (same title as one of the anthology books) that has a giant map of the whole sector and tells the story of the entire crusade as a in-universe history book.

https://www.fantasyw...Crusade-HB-EN_1

Otherwise, the early books have a map of the operations area but they dropped that sadly and if you have the omnibus versions, I don't think those come with the maps.

This what the sector map looks like: https://www.devianta...e-Map-822735232 It's huge in the book, spread across 4 foldout pages.

This post has been edited by Garak: 24 September 2020 - 04:54 PM

The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#117 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:57 PM

View PostGarak, on 24 September 2020 - 04:52 PM, said:

Otherwise, the early books have a map of the operations area but they dropped that sadly and if you have the omnibus versions, I don't think those come with the maps.

My omni's have the maps...so unless they did a massive revamp the last reprint/re-cover they did, then they are probably in there.

#118 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM

If they are in there for the particular book you’re reading it will be between the title page and the chapter. I don’t have my copy of THE FOUNDING handy, but just checked my copy of THE LOST and there is one of them before/for HIS LAST COMMAND.

If the book you are on in the omnibus doesn’t have one, then it never did. The short stories almost certainly won’t.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2020 - 04:12 PM

#119 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:49 AM

Feth is just “fuck” for the Tanith crew. Later on, the Belladon’s also have a word for “fuck” but it’s escaping me right now.

Chaos is the all consuming nefarious evil that they are all fighting in the crusade. It comes out of the warp....which is what they travel through to get across space. It can insidiously affect whole worlds and infect pretty much anyone who it can get into their mind and turn to their cause. The Inqusiton exists to weed out former good people who have been turned by Chaos. There’s more to it, but that’s the jist.

The Shriven are a group of Chaos space marines (huge soldiers on the evil side)

Shrine worlds are whole planets devoted to the religion of the Emperor of mankind and all his Saints. The most prevalent of which in the Gaunt books is Saint Sabbat.

The humans (Imperium of Man) are fighting chaos across the stars for their undead emperor. Planet by planet have fallen to chaos...humans are trying to claw them back, They have the space marines (huge hulking soldiers who are genetically enhanced for war; Adeptus Astartes) the rank and file soldiers (Gaunts crew aRe among these; Astra Militarum), the mechanical fixers and cybernetics enhancers (Adeptus Mechanicus), religious wing (Adeptus Ministorum), Inquisition (secret police), Adeptus Astronomica (star chart and warp wayfarerers), imperial navy (they fly the big ships to get soldiers where they need to go..look like huge gothic cathedrals in space), Adeptas Sororitas (highly devout and badass warrior nuns)....

Oh and Psykers are people who can manipulate the warp for their own ends...most are bad, but the odd one isn’t ALL bad.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

#120 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 03 October 2020 - 12:42 PM

There's a Warhammer Wiki, which helps me a lot. Though QT provided an excellent write up.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users