#341 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

I know! It's killing me!

#342 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:22 AM

Nah man, I'm enjoying seeing your reactions at these books. Zweil is pure gold. And even if he comes across like a crazy guy sometimes, there is a solid iron core in that man.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#343 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:33 PM

Oh I totally forgot about that bit. Hahahaha.

#344 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:11 PM

BK. The answer is book 5.

#345 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:50 PM

Spoiler

#346 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:09 PM

Oh right, my bad. It's about what you said in the two previous posts + some art.

#347 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:31 AM

I just finished Straight Silver .

Spoiler

Garak - that art is fantastic.

#348 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:21 AM

I think you have a really good shot at passing me actually. I have something else I promised a friend that I would read as soon as I finished #6. I'm not terribly excited about the other book and I suspect it'll take me a bit to force myself to finish it.

#349 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:41 AM

Oh man are you right on your hatred of him, such and utterly loathable character.

And it's nerd fight for who is more badass of those two

This post has been edited by Macros: 01 March 2021 - 07:42 AM

#350 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:56 PM

All I'll say is that some characters return, some don't. I mean there's a million things I want to say but that would be spoilers so I'm gonna shut up. I can safely say that I recommend the two spin-off novels set in the Sabbat Crusade - Double Eagle and Titanicus, because they are awesome. At the same time, I tend to recommend lots of stuff and send people down the proverbial rabbit hole.

#351 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:21 PM

100 p. into Gaunt book 4.

Not sure I like or believe the sudden change in Gaunt.

Spoiler

#352 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:40 PM

Political pressure. Giving the significance of his achievement and the gratitude of the merchant houses I find it impossible that there wouldn't be a promotion, it would be a PR/Moral boost.

#353 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:59 PM

P. 124

Spoiler

#354 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:57 PM

i'll echo the others.

do not expect rational from upper echelon.

do not expect logic.

do expect pettyness and jealousy

#355 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

I took it just as being a rare book

#356 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:38 AM

While it would have been funny for it to be title of one of the books, it ain't. It's a book that Inquisitor Ravenor wrote, it pops up here and there in the setting as a famous book.. There's a 300 year gap between Ravenor and Gaunt. And Ravenor operated in Segmentum Obscurus while the Sabbat Worlds are in Segmentum Pacificus.

#357 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:01 PM

To be clear, Ravenor is a character in his own series written by Abnett. He's an inquisitor and the series is like a violent whodunnit with a crew of detectives/cops. That's why they're being linked here.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#358 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:40 PM

Just gonna copy paste this here (honestly I only bother with the Year and Millennium, the rest is not that relevant for our needs):

Old Style (Pre-Great Rift)
The Imperium had developed its own method of recording dates, which needs a bit of explanation. Most importantly, the years are based on the "Anno Domini" system, so the dates themselves are the ones that we are familiar with now. A typical date as Imperial scholars write it would look something like 0123456.M41. Let's divide this code up to explain each part:

0 123 456 M41
Check Year Fraction Year Millennium

Check Number
The check number refers to the accuracy in the date as compared to time on Terra, with 0 being the most accurate and 9 being the least. Class 0 refers to events that occurred on Terra, with each increasing number being a further degree of separation from Terra.

Location Based
A 0 means that the event occurred on Terra.

A 1 means that the event occurred within the Sol system.

Contact Based
A 2 means that the event occurred while someone present for the event was in direct psychic contact with Terra or the Sol system.

A 3 means that an individual or organization present was in psychic contact with a 2 source while the event occurred.

A 4 means that the individual or organization was in contact with a 3 OR 2 source.

A 5 means that the individual or organization was in contact with a 4 source.

A 6 means that the individual or organization was in contact with a 5 source.

Estimation Based
A 7 means that the event in question occurred within 10 years of the date listed in the rest of the Imperial date.

An 8 means that the event occurred within 20 years of the date.

A 9 class source is special. A 9-class source is an approximated date, and is usually used when recording a date within Warp travel or while on a planet that does not use the Imperial system.

Year Fraction
For record-keeping, each year is divided into 1000 equal parts, numbered 000-999. Note that this is not generally used by Imperial citizens, but is simply for administrative use. Each increment of the year fraction corresponds to approximately eight hours and forty-five minutes Terran standard.

How to determine the Year Fraction on Terra
Rather than dividing the year into approximately 365 days like we do, the Imperium divides the year into 1000 fractions. So, "549" indicates the 549th part of 1000 parts of the year.

To calculate this, first you need to find on which day of the year your event occurred. Using July 18th of 2005 as an example, you then determine the Julian date, which is the 200th day of 2005. Next we need to split it into hours. We do that by multiplying 200 by 24 then add the hour of the day the event occurred. If the event took place at 4pm (the 16th hour) the formula to find the Determined Hour would be:
200 x 24 + 16 = 4816 Determined Hour

To convert that to an Imperial Fraction, multiply your Determined Hour above by the Makr Constant: 0.11407955.
4816 x 0.11407955 = 549.41. Always round this number down to determine the closest Year Fraction that occurred before the event. So the Year Fraction would be 549.

Year
This is the year within the millennium, running from 000-999. For general dates, often only the year and Millennium (below) are included. If the Terran calendar year was 2005 then the Imperial Dating System Year would be 005.

Millennium
This is the millennium in which the event occurred. Most "recent" events in the Warhammer 40K universe occur in M41, or the 41st millennium. If an event was in 2005 it would have occurred in M3 or M03, the 3rd millennium.

New Style (Post-Great Rift)
After the formation of the Great Rift in the ending stages of the 41st Millennium, the flow of time no longer became standard across the galaxy. As a result, Roboute Guilliman attempted to amend the dating system and create a reliable Imperial history to fit the new situation. The result has been met with controversy and a civil war known as the Chronostrife has broken out within the Inquisition's Ordo Chronos.

This post has been edited by Garak: 04 March 2021 - 11:43 PM

#359 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:52 AM

Oh man, I'm really enjoying your spoilers on book 5.
Great call, I didn't call it as finely as that I called
Spoiler

#360 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:00 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 March 2021 - 01:18 AM, said:

I believe I ll just pay attention to the M and the .000 left of it. Though I do find the number in relation to Sol/Terra interesting.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. After that it just becomes nuts.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users