#301 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:14 PM

I need to get back into the heresy, I think I'm 13/14 books in

#302 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:36 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 February 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

My problem with the Heresy books was navigating around the side-trip stories that I don't much care about, but I found some decent lists on Reddit with explanations why one might be skippable or not. So I THINK I'm only about 10 books in? It's good, but there's no way I'm reading like 50-whatever books.

And I want to Read those Siege Of Terra books, but I know I have to finish Heresy first.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#303 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:43 PM

View PostChance, on 12 February 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 12 February 2021 - 04:55 AM, said:

I read all of the early books in the HH series and then started picking and choosing which authors I read because some are a considerable amount better at handling the setting than others.

I started reading the series a few years ago, but ran into one or two authors that I found barely readable.

Seen some recommendations but what did you found worth it?

Abnett, Thorpe, Kyme, McNeill, and Dembski-Bowden were who I clicked with in the Horus Heresy series. Keep in mind that these stories are supposed to be pulpy good times with some underlayer of social commentary and a somewhat meaningful motion to the story towards the "present day" (in my view).

They're not going to win literary awards, yet they can really entertain and give some food for thought.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#304 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 February 2021 - 07:03 PM

Posting that list for me to peruse would be a wonderful move

#305 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 February 2021 - 07:35 PM

I too would be interested in seeing an Amphibian approved list of suggestions.

#306 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 12 February 2021 - 08:25 PM

I'm an completionist, there are on a few HH books I skipped.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#307 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 February 2021 - 09:59 PM

View Postamphibian, on 12 February 2021 - 06:43 PM, said:

View PostChance, on 12 February 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 12 February 2021 - 04:55 AM, said:

I read all of the early books in the HH series and then started picking and choosing which authors I read because some are a considerable amount better at handling the setting than others.

I started reading the series a few years ago, but ran into one or two authors that I found barely readable.

Seen some recommendations but what did you found worth it?

Abnett, Thorpe, Kyme, McNeill, and Dembski-Bowden were who I clicked with in the Horus Heresy series. Keep in mind that these stories are supposed to be pulpy good times with some underlayer of social commentary and a somewhat meaningful motion to the story towards the "present day" (in my view).

They're not going to win literary awards, yet they can really entertain and give some food for thought.

Thanks sounds like pretty much everyone agree that Abnett, McNeill and Dembski-Bowden are the top of the bunch.

If I remember right I bounced of two of the less talent writers in a row, I can do one poor book in a series but two will kill interest 9 times out of 10.

This post has been edited by Chance: 12 February 2021 - 10:01 PM

#308 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 February 2021 - 10:55 PM

I was referring to the Reddit list QT mentioned

#309 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2021 - 02:56 AM

View PostMacros, on 12 February 2021 - 10:55 PM, said:

Yeah, so it was a link off Reddit to another site. The guy seems to align with my reading tastes, so I’ve kept following this list to decide which ones to read and which not.

https://blog.basemen...ading-guidance/
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#310 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:29 AM

I don't agree with that person about skipping the Kyme books. Vulkan is the lead-in to some of the weirder writing that's almost Arthurian mixed with "I'm going on a quest that I don't understand at all although I still have to do it to save the entire universe and suffer ruinous personal consequences for doing so".

One of the difficult parts of this world is that the space marines are scaled up special forces soldiers with magical powers and gigantic wars of explosions, Gothic tragedy, and not much to their lives beyond eternal war. The Primarchs lead them and are special for what they can do even in comparison with these legions of superheroes - but it's still kinda giant action figures being smashed into each other.

How do you make supersoldiers and their leaders interesting enough to sustain a book series? How do you work in some low Shakespearean palace drama and tragedy? How do you keep it fun and moving briskly?

Some authors are better at it and some of the stories are more important to the bigger story being told. We will each have our own determination of where "yes, read this" falls, but I still think skipping Vulkan books is a bad idea.

#311 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:14 PM

I just appreciate he accompanies most titles with a rating and a reason why you might or might not care to read it. Make up your own mind based off that.

#312 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:06 AM

Cheers

#313 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 February 2021 - 03:36 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 12 February 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

My problem with the Heresy books was navigating around the side-trip stories that I don't much care about, but I found some decent lists on Reddit with explanations why one might be skippable or not. So I THINK I'm only about 10 books in? It's good, but there's no way I'm reading like 50-whatever books.

And I want to Read those Siege Of Terra books, but I know I have to finish Heresy first.

Turns out I’m only 7 books in. On Abnett’s LEGION now...holy shit what an opening with Alpharius!

#314 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:02 PM

I do like the Alpha legion

#315 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 February 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 12 February 2021 - 10:55 PM, said:

Yeah, so it was a link off Reddit to another site. The guy seems to align with my reading tastes, so I’ve kept following this list to decide which ones to read and which not.

https://blog.basemen...ading-guidance/

I'm reading this guy's recommendations and feel like I want to read all of it.

Why oh why does Warhammer books cost so much?

#316 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:39 AM

Cost much? Seem like the standard prices for hardbacks and paperbacks.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#317 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:58 AM

Looking at Kindle I guess you're right. It's just looking at how many there are you'd think there was some ... discount.

#318 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

The Black Library occasionally runs a sale, but they keep their ebook pricing in line with what Amazon has (11.99 USD for Prospero Burns on both Kindle and Black Library).

I generally buy them straight from the Black Library when I want to read one of these pulpfests.

#319 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

Humble Bundle has a Warhammer bundle at least once or twice a year. Over the past couple of years, I've grabbed the first 15 Horus Heresy books, plus 3 later ones, and the first 6 Primarchs books, not to mention a ton of short stories and non-HH stuff.

Heck, there's one going on right now: https://www.humblebu...k-library-books
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#320 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:41 PM

Um....has everyone seen this?

How is a fan-created piece of WH40k media THIS good?! So that's Deathwatch right? And is the other scene (the one with the Inquisiton Psyker...) is The White Lions astartes chapter? I can't tell.

But yeah, holy shit.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users