• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warhammer Books And 40k!

#21 User is offline   Wolfy 

• Lair of the Spectacular Tongue Beast
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

If you're more into fantasy then 40K besides the already mentioned Gotrek & Felix the Time of Legends Series of triologies are an excellent read.

One follows Sigmar and his rise from barbarianism to the Godhood of the Emipire.
Another follows Nagash from his early days to his height of power as the father of necromancy.
The other is about the high elves & dark elves and follows civil war and splitting of the race.

#22 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

I jumped into the "Heresy" books without any prior Warhammer40k knowledge. I enjoyed looking up characters and events on the Wikis as I read the books. I find the concept of the Emperor, the Primarchs and their fall to be fascinating even if the writing is often pulpy and occasionally just not very good.

#23 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

No one's mentioned Malus Darkblade?! Those books are awesome, and really illustrate what a bada$$ dark elf should be!
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#24 User is online   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

I've recently finished the Night Lords trilogy (Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker) and they were awesome books. So was Emperor Gift (about Grey Knights, Space Waloves and a little bit of Deamon Prince Angron) and currently I'm reading Priests of Mars which is also very good. I've noticed that lately BL books have become better and the authors tend to reference one another more (Priests of Mars includes a reference to Helsreach and has characters from the Fire and Honor comic).
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#25 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

After being mostly bored by Dragonlance, I started reading the first Gotrek & Felix omnibus, in my quest for good RPG-based fantasy. I'm liking it so far. The chapters read more like short stories, but author William King throws in some clever/funny twists. It's sort of Michael Moorcock meets Donald E. Westlake.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Okay, something is afoot in the Black Library.

As I finish up the 2nd Gaunts Ghosts Omnibus (THE SAINT) by Abnett I went in search of the 3rd (THE LOST)...and no one has it new. Local book stores say it's "out of stock" or "on reorder, check back"....amazon, B&N, ect. has only used copies for any reasonable price, any new copies are being set at upwards of $300 EACH! Even the BL site has it set as "out of stock"...

The same is true of the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus HERO OF THE IMPERIUM...also with the same ridiculous fetching price for a new copy where it can be found.

Now, the strange bit is that both the previous GG omnibuses (THE FOUNDING and THE SAINT) are still rather widely available new...

the only bone I've been thrown into why they have let the 3rd book lapse into seemingly not currently printing...is that Abnett showed some cover art on his blog of the first single GG book (FIRST AND ONLY) having been re-branded with new art and re-issued through a "Classics" line.

So are they going to be re-releasing all of them this way, and maybe that's why I can't get my hands on an omnibus?

I'm going to be super pissed if I can't get a version of the next few tales that doesn't match my existing two (petty, I know, LOL).

Further skewing this is the fact that the 4th Omnibus (THE VICTORY) is meant to be coming out at some point (comprised of the most recent GG books (books 12, 13 and 14 I believe) as well once the 14th book drops at Christmas.

I dunno, I'm starting to get freaked that I may not be able to get it....I mean why else would people be ramping prices of new copies up to $300?

Anyone have any clue as to why this is happening? Or am I overreacting?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27 User is online   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I have the first two omnibuses but the rest of the GG series I have in individual books (I kinda prefer it that way). I have no clue why the weirdness is happening.

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Crazy.

I'm werided out by it as up till a little while ago I saw the 3rd omni on bookstore shelves and just figured I'd pick it up when I got that far in the series.

Hmmm...checking used bookstores may be my next attempt.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Crisis averted. My city's local SFF specific bookstore (a place I don't normally frequent because of the discounts I get at Chapters) has a copy and are holding it for me.

PHEW!

#30 User is online   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:04 AM

That was lucky.

#31 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

They know good books. And are probably good people due to not price gouging you.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

View Postamphibian, on 03 July 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

They know good books. And are probably good people due to not price gouging you.

Yeah, they are good folk. This is the second time I've gone to them to get a book that was seemingly out of print (for whatever reason) and they charged me only cover price.

It's also nice to support the little guy SFF bookstore over the chains.

#33 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

I really enjoy the Heresy series. Knowing a bit about the 40k universe makes for a tragic yet gripping read.
'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

#34 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostTremolo, on 31 July 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I really enjoy the Heresy series. Knowing a bit about the 40k universe makes for a tragic yet gripping read.

Tried to get through it but some of the authors involved where nearly unreadable.

Still the first few books are pretty interesting for someone who has read bits and pieces of it while playing the game. Certainly great background for further RPG sessions in my case.

This post has been edited by Chance: 31 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

#35 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

Decided to bump this as I'm curious - just read a synopsis of what happens in the End Times series of books in the Warhammer setting

Spoiler

So - are they worth actually reading?
meh. Link was dead :(

#36 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:11 AM

I was looking up some warhammer stuff yesterday and was gonna hit this thread. What's the best starting point in either universe?

#37 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostMacros, on 22 June 2015 - 05:11 AM, said:

I was looking up some warhammer stuff yesterday and was gonna hit this thread. What's the best starting point in either universe?

40k wise Gaunt's Ghosts seems to get pretty universal approval - it's sort of Sharpe in Space if you will.

At the other end (still 40k) if you like a big dollop of humour with your Grimdark -Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) books are good - very akin to Flashman by George Macdonald Fraser, in that the titular 'hero' is actually a bit of a coward who happens to be in the right place at the right time an awful lot.
meh. Link was dead :(

#38 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 21 June 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Decided to bump this as I'm curious - just read a synopsis of what happens in the End Times series of books in the Warhammer setting

Spoiler

So - are they worth actually reading?

I finished reading the last Slayer book today. Mother of damnation,
Spoiler

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#39 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

I just hit that spoiler tag like an idiot, I haven't read the last Felix&Gotrek book...

@ Macros - My personal choices in this setting are the Felix & Gotrek novels by William King (and later by Nathan Long) You can enjoy this series without any connection to the WH world.

For the WH40K, I like the stories of Ragnar, the Space Wolf. I bought some in omnibus format so got a big fat book for not much money.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

Seconding the Gaunt's Ghosts recco for a starting point. I've read all (14?) books in the series, and the quality RARELY dips.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users