• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why people drop this book?

#1 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Games, Fantasy & Scifi books

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

I wonder why people stop reading this book? I'm at 1/3 atm (page 210) and so far, I like it. I read the other thread about that question but I got more spoilers than I should... So I would like to know what you think about it (without spoilers please ;))

Or I didn't get the "stop point" yet ?

It's not more complicated than the Black Company so far imho.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Not more complicated than the Black Company? I'll disagree. Croaker's PoV is the only one we have in Black Company, thus you never shift settings, like is constantly happening in Gardens. On the other hand, I think both kind of just toss you into the middle of a story.

People are weak and not everybody has as awesome of taste as you. ;)
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

I think alot of people like to be spoon fed information. If theres too much happening they dont understand, with still more info being piled on, they wont enjoy it.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Honestly, I thought The Black Company started out much more confusing than Gardens of the Moon, due to Cook's terse style coupled with Croaker's first-person account that wasn't always easy to follow. I think with BC, there's not a lot going on, but the limited POV makes it confusing. By contrast, GotM (which I had 0 problems with) has a ton of stuff going on, but it's at least easy to follow what's happening on a scene-by-scene basis, even if the big picture's not the easiest to grasp.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

i have to agree that the BC was a tad confusing to me at first. SE drops your right into the middle of a story, but at least he does it cinematically. Cook just brings you in at one small water-shed point of a company that's been going for centuries, with only a single perspective, and that littered with idiosyncracies that you're not familiar with. they kind of do the same thing in different ways, and both end up being seriously kickass.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

View PostMercador, on 03 November 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

I wonder why people stop reading this book? I'm at 1/3 atm (page 210) and so far, I like it. I read the other thread about that question but I got more spoilers than I should... So I would like to know what you think about it (without spoilers please :))

I think that you're well past the infamous 'first 200' stop point and going strong.

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 November 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

I think alot of people like to be spoon fed information. If theres too much happening they dont understand, with still more info being piled on, they wont enjoy it.

Agreed. The 'problem' with GotM is the degree to which SE drops the reader into the middle of the story. Readers who are used to having nice cozy introductions to a new fantasy world and story via a conviently ignorant farmboy and his knowledgeable yet patiently expository mentor are challenged by this ("Warrens??? WTF?????") and it renders them incapable of just going with it.

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 03 November 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

...People are weak and not everybody has as awesome of taste as you. :p

But mostly this^.

Just keep reading and enjoy the fuck out of this series. And avoid spoilers. The forums are best for when you're done with the book. There are some events that you really REALLY don't want to spoil.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

i started with memories of ice.

I dont understand why people say its too complicated. Considering i find GOTM is one the weakest in the series. Sure you miss out on the details, but failing to grasp the details wont stop you from enjoying a good and "realistic" story. And the details is what makes a reread all the more interesting.

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 04 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

#8 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

Well, actually, the only weird thing IS the warrens (labyrinths in the French version) but I see them like time-space plan.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

View PostMercador, on 04 November 2011 - 08:15 PM, said:

Well, actually, the only weird thing IS the warrens (labyrinths in the French version) ....

Heh... the French word may be even more apropos of the whole system in some respects...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, I never had a problem with GotM. Read it in a week before a WFC, and brought it to have Steve sign. It was refreshing to not have that 'farm boy' character. Hell, Crokus is the closest we get, but he doesn't really look for answers nor gets them from anyone.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Warrens were definitely the one thing that confused me most about GotM, because they're referred to so personally and yet so alien-ly and other-ly at the same time. But it didn't hamper my enjoyment, and you just gotta be patient till you catch on.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

Can't help you. I loved it right from the prologue. The few I've talked to who couldn't read it couldn't give any reason I could grab onto and try to help.
'All Eres were bonecasters, Trull Sengar. For they were the first to carry the spark of awareness, the first so gifted by the spirits.'

#13 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

I think in the end it comes down to what you personally want from a novel. As a kid i read The Two Towers, without realizing Tolkein had written two books before that. That ended up hooking me on the whole fantasy fiction ganre. For about a decade I had been looking for an experience that would replicate that feeling of being dumped in the middle of a story you have no facts about, and for a long while I could never find that. Yet when I opened the MBotF I was completely blown away. The first time (with Tolkein) I made a mistake, this time it was for real.
More life may trickle out of men through thought than through a gaping wound.
--Thomas Hardy

#14 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I read Gemmels King Beyond the Gate and tried to read GOTM straight after when I started reading fantasy other than Tolkien. Found it horrendously difficult to get into GOTM and read the first 50 or so pages about 3 times I think. If youve got through that then you should be fine.

#15 User is offline   Marcule 

• Corporal

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

After not having read anything in 15 years I found GotM pretty much at random in the bookstore one day. Despite having to spend most my time at google looking up words, I found the book fascinating. I loved how nothing is really explained -- just get thrown right into the middle of some shit like you're already supposed to know everything. Most everything is implied or gleaned through conversations between characters -- not ever really explained straight out. Oddly, that is my most favored aspect of SE's writing. Everyone is a bad guy, everyone dies, total chaos, tragedy, grief, lots of bad-assery, and its all hilarious. Well, thats pretty much the entire series, but it holds true for GotM as well. The Malazan books are by far my favorite reading.
...I'm not the best with heights, Sergent.
You live in a damned tower!
It's... expected of me. Isn't it?...

#16 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

I think they dropped it because it was heavy and they are clumsy. But hopefully they will pick it up before someone steps on it.

:)
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#17 User is offline   anomander stark 

• Recruit

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

View PostMercador, on 03 November 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

I wonder why people stop reading this book? I'm at 1/3 atm (page 210) and so far, I like it. I read the other thread about that question but I got more spoilers than I should... So I would like to know what you think about it (without spoilers please :p)

It's not more complicated than the Black Company so far imho.

I too have just finished gardens and enjoyed it.
But it is understandable why people leave this book midway. These books are complicated, most people do not desire to strain themselves for a entertainemt. That is the main reason why books like Twilight and Eragon are so successfull (though these books are not even worth the paper they are printed on), most poeple like books of the farm boy who always win or heroes who are perfect. The books like MBOTF and ASOIAF are something very few can comprehend.
I think MBOTF is more complex than black company. But even black company is comlicated enough for majority of the readers, only a very small fraction of fantasy reader are astute enough to comprehend these books.

#18 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Part of me thinks that having a flashback that early in the first book (Tattersail recalling the battle at Pale) could throw people a little.

The rest of me thinks it's do to with Awesomeness. Just keep on being Awesome, and you'll love the series :p
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#19 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Well, looks like I'm not good enough for this serie...

I had to return it back to the library last week so I switch to the english version instead. I think my english comprehension isn't enough good (though I read Dance with Dragons) to follow the serie. So I'll hope they finally translate it in French completely (by now, only the two first books are translated) or I'll give a second try next year.

Thanks for your help though :-)

#20 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:44 AM

I think there are quite a few non english readers on these forums, so (Maybe?) some of them feel your pain. I hope you can eventually read the greatness that is the Malazan Book of the Fallen! :p

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users