Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Information? Any information or speculation is welcome. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

As is obvious with my nick, I am clearly anticipative to the fullest of this trilogy. Does anybody know anything on it? Any speculations?
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

There's no information because SE has yet to start writing it. He's writing the Kharkanas trilogy first.

We'll see lots of Karsa, Ublala will show up, and we damn well better get a reunion between Torvald and Karsa.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Tempest 

• Corporal
  • I'm p. stoked about the Imaginaerium album. P. stoked.

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

Def. second that reunion. And since Ublala's showin' up, we also better get
Spoiler

‘I have had visions of the future, and each and every one of them ends up in the same place. Don’t ask me what it means. I already know. That’s the problem with visions of the future.’
--Kellanved

#4 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

I imagine more information will be in OST when that comes out as that concerns Karsa and Genabackis. From that we can (hopefully) se whats going to happen. I hope Karsa diess and his daughters fulfill his wishes...

you heard it here first

#5 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Meh. Karsa is one of my favorites, but him dying before the second or third book in his trilogy would just seem...off. I know Erikson likes to throw all the conventions and tropes out the windows, but even so, Karsa has been built up to the point that people salivate over his every appearance. We don't give two damns about his daughters right now, though, so unless they're built up incredibly well, Karsa dying would just be a big put off more than anything.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#6 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

View PostDefiance, on 23 October 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

There's no information because SE has yet to start writing it. He's writing the Kharkanas trilogy first.

We'll see lots of Karsa, Ublala will show up, and we damn well better get a reunion between Torvald and Karsa.
Spoiler

Actually the thread stats show that their are 9 threads e.t.c but when I opened it, their were none, thus the new thread

This post has been edited by Otataral Toblakai: 24 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#7 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

View PostTempest, on 23 October 2011 - 05:53 PM, said:

Def. second that reunion. And since Ublala's showin' up, we also better get
Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Otataral Toblakai: 24 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

#8 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

View Posttiam, on 23 October 2011 - 06:53 PM, said:

I imagine more information will be in OST when that comes out as that concerns Karsa and Genabackis. From that we can (hopefully) se whats going to happen. I hope Karsa diess and his daughters fulfill his wishes...

you heard it here first

I don't expect he'll die but you never known SE. Even if he dies, he'll simply ascend, though he already is one, or will come back. I am more for his daughter trying to kill him for what he did to their mothers. They will also be a sort of 'constraint' on Karsa's behaviour, hopefully.

#9 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

View PostDefiance, on 23 October 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

Meh. Karsa is one of my favorites, but him dying before the second or third book in his trilogy would just seem...off. I know Erikson likes to throw all the conventions and tropes out the windows, but even so, Karsa has been built up to the point that people salivate over his every appearance. We don't give two damns about his daughters right now, though, so unless they're built up incredibly well, Karsa dying would just be a big put off more than anything.

Er, that's exactly what happened to
Spoiler
Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen to Karsa.

#10 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Does anyone know of any instances where a 'purely' Erikson or Esslemont character was killed off by the other author? If such were not the case, Karsa's death seems improbable in the Daru novel, since Karsa is really Erikson's child. Esslemont also has the habit of not focusing too much on characters that have all ready been in the spotlight.

That said, I do think Karsa will be killed off eventually. This is mostly me viewing him more as a Beowulf incarnation than a Conan one. Karsa will get old, which will not stop him facing off against something stronger than him... and this time, it might decide to kill him. And if he runs into a FA? I'm not sure he could hold his own.

#11 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

View PostOrlion, on 24 October 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

Does anyone know of any instances where a 'purely' Erikson or Esslemont character was killed off by the other author? If such were not the case, Karsa's death seems improbable in the Daru novel, since Karsa is really Erikson's child. Esslemont also has the habit of not focusing too much on characters that have all ready been in the spotlight.

That said, I do think Karsa will be killed off eventually. This is mostly me viewing him more as a Beowulf incarnation than a Conan one. Karsa will get old, which will not stop him facing off against something stronger than him... and this time, it might decide to kill him. And if he runs into a FA? I'm not sure he could hold his own.

Off the top of my head I cant think of a 'purely' ICE or SE character being killed off, though im not really sure weve got a complete list. TBH some of the deaths weve seen in the SE main arc may well have been ICE characters but we didnt know. I only said the 'Karsa will die' thing upthread as a bit of a joke but its plausible. I dont think simply because ICE is using an SE character that he wont have the balls/permission to kill him off. Its a joint universe. If anything the best indication of Karsa kicking around is the fact of a Toblakai trilogy after OST. IF anything his limited apparance in TCG (aswell as Pickers) suggests events from OST may well be under way by the time the main arc finished.

As you say though ICE doesnt really focus on characters who already have alot of screen time/POV in Eriksons work. However OST is set in a purely Erikson creation so far and will lead to a deviation of the trend. ICE will have to address the 'purely Erikson crowd' of Picker, Karsa, Kruppe etc though they may have been ICEs creations in the first place.

#12 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'm going to stand by my guess that OST is set before TCG. So Karsa will be safe.
We know SW is before TCG after all.

From http://elitistbookre...-esslemont.html

"EBR: What does the future of your series hold for the readers?

Cam: As I mentioned, Orb Sceptre Throne will be out next. It is set in Darujhistan and follows up on Toll the Hounds quite closely. It is thus more or less contemporaneous with Stonewielder."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users