• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The metal thread For everything about the worlds heaviest music

#1 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

Surprised there isn't one of these already, Post and discuss everything metal related.

heres a song i just discovered tonight. Has one of the greateast solos ive heard in ages, reminds me of comfortably numb.

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 21 October 2011 - 02:49 AM

#2 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

Strangely, a metal thread just opened at one of my other forums I frequent.
Blind Guardian is epic nerd metal ;) Their songs are very often about (but not at all restricted to) fantasy literature. Just thought that that would fot in well here :D

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=90rIRwqUVLA

#3 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

View PostBalrogLord, on 21 October 2011 - 02:46 AM, said:

Surprised there isn't one of these already, Post and discuss everything metal related.

heres a song i just discovered tonight. Has one of the greateast solos ive heard in ages, reminds me of comfortably numb.

Pink Floyd has been a huge influence on Anathema. On Eternity, one of my favourite albums of all time, Anathema does a cover of Hope. Insanely enough, that's probably the weakest song on the record. For proper Pink Floyd influence, however, you should probably give A Fine Day To Exit a listen.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#4 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

View Postwade-newb, on 21 October 2011 - 07:46 AM, said:

Strangely, a metal thread just opened at one of my other forums I frequent.
Blind Guardian is epic nerd metal :) Their songs are very often about (but not at all restricted to) fantasy literature. Just thought that that would fot in well here ;)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=90rIRwqUVLA

Indeed, BG is the best epic nerd metal you'll ever find. Since they've covered everything from Dune and LotR to the Iliad and Stephen King, who knows if MBotF is next? :D

Edit: this video is fanmade and probably breaks a few copyright rules, but both video and song are too good to be missed.http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IbwG1DCnQSU

This post has been edited by Khazduk: 21 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

#5 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

Hmm. I must remember back to when I used to listen to metal a lot.

I love Blind Guardian, of course.
Pain of Salvation, although they are very Avante Garde now.
Symphony X
Hammerfall
Dragonforce, I remember thinking they were good.
Ayreon
Iron Maiden
Iron Saviour
Manowar
Avenged Sevenfold (Their second album was fantastic, fuck the haters).
Black Sabbath
Dream Theater, if you can classify them as metal.
Finntroll, a bit. Hard to listen to a band when you can't understand the language.
Iced Earth
Kamelot
A bit of Metallica
Saxon

I think that's everything. Any comments?

#6 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

View PostJLV, on 21 October 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hmm. I must remember back to when I used to listen to metal a lot.

I love Blind Guardian, of course.
Pain of Salvation, although they are very Avante Garde now.
Symphony X
Hammerfall
Dragonforce, I remember thinking they were good.
Ayreon
Iron Maiden
Iron Saviour
Manowar
Avenged Sevenfold (Their second album was fantastic, fuck the haters).
Black Sabbath
Dream Theater, if you can classify them as metal.
Finntroll, a bit. Hard to listen to a band when you can't understand the language.
Iced Earth
Kamelot
A bit of Metallica
Saxon

I think that's everything. Any comments?

Hey, if Symphony X is metal, Dream Theater is as well. Besides, they played with Iron Maiden, so that kinda gives them the metal gods' blessing ;)
Some of my favorites not mentioned include Mago de Oz, Epica, and the first album of Avalanch. Also, it's hard to call it 'metal', but Keldian is another favorite of mine.

Also, Deep Purple and Rainbow.... and Dio...oh! oh! and...

This post has been edited by Orlion: 21 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

#7 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

Anyone who likes Blind Guardian should check out the band Demons & Wizards (if they haven't already). It's a collaboration between Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer and Hansi Kursch, and both albums are brilliant.

Lately I've been really getting into...I dunno what you'd call it, melodic metal?(I hate all these little subgenre classifications), ever since I started listening to Eluveitie and In Flames around the start of the year. Right now I really love Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Wintersun, Moonsorrow and Arkona.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#8 User is offline   wade 

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:39 AM

View PostMTS, on 21 October 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

Anyone who likes Blind Guardian should check out the band Demons & Wizards (if they haven't already). It's a collaboration between Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer and Hansi Kursch, and both albums are brilliant.

Lately I've been really getting into...I dunno what you'd call it, melodic metal?(I hate all these little subgenre classifications), ever since I started listening to Eluveitie and In Flames around the start of the year. Right now I really love Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Wintersun, Moonsorrow and Arkona.

I think you have an identical music taste to me ;)
Even right down to Arkona! That was a surprise.

#9 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

View PostSatan, on 21 October 2011 - 09:37 AM, said:

Pink Floyd has been a huge influence on Anathema. On Eternity, one of my favourite albums of all time, Anathema does a cover of Hope. Insanely enough, that's probably the weakest song on the record. For proper Pink Floyd influence, however, you should probably give A Fine Day To Exit a listen.

If it's anathema you speak of, then My Dying Bride must be mentioned, a precursor to anathema and with far heavier stuff. Check out Songs of Darknes, Words of Light album.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#10 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostMTS, on 21 October 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

Good stuff their, MTS, right up my line. Genre discussions are useless; good music is good music. Though most of your stuff their is folk metal - Eluveitie being Norwegian folk metal, Arkona Russian folk metal, Moonsorrow Finnish folk metal i think, Korpiklaani Finnish folk metal. Still, if you liked them, try Lumsk and Draconian
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#11 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

No, My Dying Bride must not be mentioned. They've only ever made one good album (+ one good song), which doesn't compare to all the brilliance put out by early Anathema. Which also, in point of fact, isn't at all what we're talking about. If you actually read what was written (instead of just looking for an excuse to plug your own favourites ...which, for the most part, is shit) the conversation was really about Anathema and Pink Floyd. That is, Anathema post The Silent Enigma. That is, nothing at all like My Dying Bride.

See, this is why these threads never take off. People are more interested in imprinting their own tastes onto the thread, than having an actual discussion about the music.

#12 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

View PostSatan, on 22 October 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

No, My Dying Bride must not be mentioned. They've only ever made one good album (+ one good song), which doesn't compare to all the brilliance put out by early Anathema. Which also, in point of fact, isn't at all what we're talking about. If you actually read what was written (instead of just looking for an excuse to plug your own favourites ...which, for the most part, is shit) the conversation was really about Anathema and Pink Floyd. That is, Anathema post The Silent Enigma. That is, nothing at all like My Dying Bride.

See, this is why these threads never take off. People are more interested in imprinting their own tastes onto the thread, than having an actual discussion about the music.

Heaven forbid we talk about metal in a metal thread ;) No one's stopping you from commenting on Anathema and Pink Floyd. If you say something interesting, others might join in... but if you give your completely subjective opinion of a band and complain that the thread is devolving into 'people's subjective tastes in metal'... well, you might get the surprising result of being ignored.

I'm going to go check out some My Dying Bride now.

Edit: I'm back. By randomly checking out both My Dying Bride and Anathema, I find the Anathema song I listened to more interesting. I listened to To My Fallen Angel by My Dying Bride and Flying by Anathema.

This post has been edited by Orlion: 22 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

#13 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Again, people should read what is actually written in a post instead of just hooking on to whatever first catches their eye. Never in my previous post did I say that people shouldn't discuss metal in this thread. In fact, if you want to read between the lines, you should come to the exact opposite conclusion. Especially since BalrogLord and I were doing exactly that: having a discussion about a metal band. But see, we'd moved beyond the "namedrop that band" exercise. Ours was a particular conversation. The discussion of that particular metal band had a particular context to it. A context that had nothing to do with My Dying Bride. My Dying Bride only becomes relevant for Anathema if you go back to the mid nineties and earlier, and the second wave of British doom metal.

And when I say that the behavior commented on above is the reason these sort of threads never survive for long, I speak from experience. Trust me, son, this is not the first incarnation of metal thread we've had on the board. Hate to play the newb card on you (not really), but there you have it.

This post has been edited by Satan: 22 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

#14 User is offline   wade 

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

So, to attempt to follow Satan's shrewd advice, (a sentence I never thought I'd type!) what is it exactly that brings you to enjoy metal as a whole? (this is a general question for anyone to answer) Discuss away ;)

For me personally, there are many reasons to love the genre as well as the culture, but primarily it's the emotional depth portrayed in the music that can make it such an experience to listen to, not to mention enhancing literature when the songs (or entire albums in some cases) are based on fictional works.

#15 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

I would request you to pour a jug of freezer cold water on your head. Like the joker said in his epic statement, 'Why so serious?' which is completely irrelavant here.

Firstly, this is 'The Metal Thread' and My Dying Bride is clearly metal. I am no Anathema hater and do in fact like their music and I never hit on them in any manner. Seeing as Anathema was discussed, I naturally included My Dying Bride as these two bands, amongst a group, are considered as pioneers of sort in the doom metal scene. And I detest you calling my music shit when I haven't called yours shit - a petty remark more at home with an insecure, immature child. Each and every person has his/her own taste and I have never detested any other person's choice of music. I should also mention that, again, My Dying Bride and Anathema are also part of the sam doom metal group of bands considered as pioneers of this genre and both kicked off in 1990. I should also mention that My Dying Bride still releases heavy music whereas Anathema has diverted to a lighter sound, with which I, by the way, have no issue.

Now back to the 'thread relevancy' issue, how is Pink Floyd any friggin' way similar to Anathema? Which world do you live in? Anathema's music and Pink Floyd's music have a heaven and earth difference. Secondly, Pink Floyd is a ROCK band and this is a METAL thread. Who then, o so clever and wise one, is irrelavant and out of point here, eh?

Thus, I nullify you with your own argument; similarity to Anathema and thread relevancy. Furthermore, by forbidding me from expressing my interests, it is you who are imprinting your tastes on others.

In short, get a friggin' life!

#16 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

View PostOrlion, on 22 October 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

Heaven forbid we talk about metal in a metal thread :unworthy: No one's stopping you from commenting on Anathema and Pink Floyd. If you say something interesting, others might join in... but if you give your completely subjective opinion of a band and complain that the thread is devolving into 'people's subjective tastes in metal'... well, you might get the surprising result of being ignored.

I'm going to go check out some My Dying Bride now.

Edit: I'm back. By randomly checking out both My Dying Bride and Anathema, I find the Anathema song I listened to more interesting. I listened to To My Fallen Angel by My Dying Bride and Flying by Anathema.

Ah, nice to see you took a shot at My Dying Bride. I would recommend any and every song from the album, Songs of Darkness, Words of Light. Specifically, the songs Scarlet Garden and Catherine Blake. I like anathema as well and would not compare both as they are equally good but I find this MDB album to be some of the best in doom metal alongside almost all stuff by Madder Mortem.

Thus, check out this MDB album and the mentioned songs; I am sure you will love it! Plus, if you love a 'dark doomy' sound, try Madder Mortem, Draconian and Evig Natt if you haven't already - good stuff!

#17 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:57 AM

While i will agree the song itself is rather weak its the solo itself i was drawn to. I also enjoy the buildup in the song on the instrumental and the vocal side. Most songs will start off big slow down, pick up for the chorus, slow down then finally picking up at the end with the solo before fading. I like the gradual buildup that you see in a lot of classical pieces (tchaikovskys 1812 overture for example) being applied to metal.
Now trying out the eternity album sounds like a plan. What songs by a fine day to exit would you reccomend. Now by a proper pink floyd influence do you mean their later stuff (dark side of the moon, wall, wish you were here) or their earlier experimental stuff? Wasnt a fan of the latter.

Now does any1 have reccomendations for other doom metal bands similar to alcest and summoning.?

And one final point for discussion. What does every1 think of mettalica's newest member lou reed?

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 24 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

#18 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

Jesus fuck! See, this is exactly why I hate metal heads. Dense as fucking black holes! Every single one of them! Including myself! All right, lets go through this, nice and easy like.

Here's the original conversation, which was about Anathema being influenced by Pink Floyd (the later Pink Floyd, BalrogLord)

Now, here's what you replied to the conversation, you know, the one that was about Anathema being influenced by Pink Floyd.

View PostOtataral Toblakai, on 22 October 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

If it's anathema you speak of, then My Dying Bride must be mentioned, a precursor to anathema and with far heavier stuff. Check out Songs of Darknes, Words of Light album.

I don't know about you, but I can't see the relevance to the conversation we initially had, you know, the one about Anathema being influenced by Pink Floyd. Especially the bit about "far heavier stuff." So I replied, as candidly as I possibly could, by saying...

See how I, in a hopeless attempt, tried to keep the conversation we had to the actual subject it was based on? You know, about Anathema being influenced by Pink Floyd. I even pointed out how My Dying Bride had nothing to do with the current subject, you know, about Anathema being influenced by Pink Floyd. I've put the relevant bit in italic in the quote above, for your reading pleasure.

Undeterred by my kind suggestions, you went ahead on a fucking stampede, bringing to bear a fucking army of strawmen! Let's look at what you wrote...

View PostOtataral Toblakai, on 23 October 2011 - 05:24 PM, said:

I would request you to pour a jug of freezer cold water on your head. Like the joker said in his epic statement, 'Why so serious?' which is completely irrelavant here.

Firstly, this is 'The Metal Thread' and My Dying Bride is clearly metal.[1] I am no Anathema hater and do in fact like their music and I never hit on them in any manner.[2] Seeing as Anathema was discussed, I naturally included My Dying Bride as these two bands, amongst a group, are considered as pioneers of sort in the doom metal scene.[3] And I detest you calling my music shit when I haven't called yours shit - a petty remark more at home with an insecure, immature child. Each and every person has his/her own taste and I have never detested any other person's choice of music.[4] I should also mention that, again, My Dying Bride and Anathema are also part of the sam doom metal group of bands considered as pioneers of this genre and both kicked off in 1990. I should also mention that My Dying Bride still releases heavy music whereas Anathema has diverted to a lighter sound, with which I, by the way, have no issue.[5]

Now back to the 'thread relevancy' issue, how is Pink Floyd any friggin' way similar to Anathema? Which world do you live in? Anathema's music and Pink Floyd's music have a heaven and earth difference.[6] Secondly, Pink Floyd is a ROCK band and this is a METAL thread. Who then, o so clever and wise one, is irrelavant and out of point here, eh? [7]

Thus, I nullify you with your own argument; similarity to Anathema and thread relevancy. Furthermore, by forbidding me from expressing my interests, it is you who are imprinting your tastes on others. [8]

In short, get a friggin' life!

Oh, so many things to answer. Let's do them in turn.
1. Yes, this is 'The Metal Thread'. And yes, My Dying Bride is clearly a metal band. But so is Mayhem, Mastodon and Morbid Angel. All of them equally irrelevant to the conversation at hand, as I hope has become clear from the run down of the past arguments I've done above.
2. I never said that you didn't like Anathema.
3. Yes, they were pioneers in the [new wave of English] doom metal. I'd like to include Paradise Lost in that menagerie of bands as well. But that's completely besides the point. See point 1. And all the other stuff I wrote above.
4. I never said your [taste in] music was shit. I said My Dying Bride was a shit band (apart from one album and one song). If you happen to like a shit band, well hey! That's on you, son!
5. And that's exactly the point! Through influence of Pink Floyd (among other things, I assume), Anathema has "diverted to a lighter sound." And My Dying Bride "still releases heavy music." See, you're on to it!
6. I leave judgement of degree of similarity between Anathema and Pink Floyd up to each and their own. But both BalrogLord and I have noticed the similarity. Not to mention that members of Anathema has pointed out the influence that Pink Floyd has had on them in interviews they've done. But still, if you'd just said that you didn't find Anathema and Pink Floyd similar, that'd actually be relevant to the conversation BalrogLord and I had. But instead, you chose to talk about My Dying Bride. I'm not saying I'm mad or angry or anything like that. I just think you're an idiot.
7. I have to admit, I had to take a deep breath before I wrote an answer to this point. You're saying that, in a metal thread, we can't talk about the influences of metal bands if they are not also a metal band? ...as if I needed another reason to hate metal heads...
8. I'm not forbidding you from expressing your interests. As should be blatantly obvious by now, I don't have the administrative privileges to do so, even if I wanted to (I suppose that's one of the reasons people don't suggest me for mod or admin). Did I try to imprint my tastes onto others? I don't know. Maybe. I'd like to think I don't care enough about how you pollute your ears to make an effort, but maybe it's the whole sub-concious thing I've heard talks about. But more than trying to imprint my tastes onto others, I WAS TRYING TO KEEP TO THE FUCKING SUBJECT!

This post has been edited by Satan: 25 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

#19 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:26 AM

That's great, but maybe you should stick to your own advice and stick to whatever you think the subject is (here's a hint: it's 'everything about the world's heaviest music'). A point by point response does wonders for the ego but does nothing to answer BalorgLord's question regarding which era of Pink Floyd seems to influence Anathema more (or something like that, I'm not the one claiming to be having a conversation with him :unworthy:)... kinda destroys your credibility as far as 'sticking with the subject'.

And yes, us metal fans are as dense as black holes. Deal:P

Moving on, I personall,y from the Anathema I've heard, don't see much of a Pink Floyd influence. It's there, kinda, but it isn't much of a driving force. That's not a bad thing, they recognize they owe a lot to the Floyd but at the same time work mostly with their own sound. As an example, Mago de Oz (or pretty much any Hispanic metal band) owes a lot and will claim influence by Iron Maiden... but you'll never mistake them for a Spanish version of Iron Maiden.

This post has been edited by Orlion: 26 October 2011 - 01:27 AM

#20 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:49 AM

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic