• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spartacus A STARZ original series

#41 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

It really is too bad the cancer got him. In interviews the guy seemed pretty cool, and I'm pretty sure he was married and had a couple kids at the time. He was also far superior to his replacement on the show. Andy could pull off the friendship aspect of the character far better than the new guy (with Varro, and even with Crixus near the end of the first season). Liam McIntyre seemed to force those early speeches and wristgrabs. But I think he really came into the role by the last season.

#42 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

They definitely did a nice tribute to him at the end, having him yell "I am Spartacus!" in the end credits of the last episode. Yeah, Liam trying to possess the role was a little choppy at first, but he grew into it. The thing is, Spartacus himself was going through some major changes during the actor transition, so we can't really say that he ended up embracing Andy's role, but rather, the role he was supposed to transform into.

One open question... can anybody look back at the series and say that Spartacus was a good person? I can't. To me, he was a glorified butcher. I mean at first that was obvious when his only motivation for rebellion was vengeance. But even when he started embracing the cause of freeing slaves, that didn't redeem him in my eyes. His attack on the arena is basically analogous to 911 (and while most of us would be more agreeable towards Spartacus' end goal than Bin Laden's, the point here is that both attacks were meant as a public display to show the world that they're alive pursuing their cause, at the expense of hundreds of civilians' lives). But that's nothing compared to season 3, where he actually sacks a city. When you try and actually imagine the scale of that kind of brutality, it just messes with your mind. If I can't root for main characters like Tony Soprano, Walter White, or Dexter, I most certainly can't root for Spartacus.

#43 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:51 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 July 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

NOOOO!! SyFy why oh why are you playing S1?? It's all edited. Bad move.

Yeah, watching it anyway. The first season was amazing off all scales when it first aired. I remember waiting each week for the new episode. It was also something wife and I enjoyed watching together. Swear she'd have left me for Crixus back in the day.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#44 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Why is there little watch emoji's everywhere there?

I only caught the first season of this.
Are the other series with the different actor any good?

#45 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:43 AM

View PostMacros, on 15 March 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Why is there little watch emoji's everywhere there?

I only caught the first season of this.
Are the other series with the different actor any good?

They're all pretty good. The first season is my favorite. The last season is really good too (and just barely edged out by season 1 in rank). It has a lot of violent action and ties things up nicely.

#46 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Please don't

Spoiler

#47 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:57 AM

I agree. The emojis that come packaged with whatever smart phone you are using don't necessarily display on this forum. The only thing I see are little boxes. I guess a general rule of thumb is to only use them when texting someone with a similar device?

#48 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:30 PM

After reading MBotF, rewatching this show has convinced me that Peter Mensah would be perfect as Quick Ben.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users