2*90

some other generic stuff.
meh. Link was dead :(

#202 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

Went wind-sprinting up and down a good sized hill today in the early afternoon. My second straight day of such.

Fuuuuck me that stuff sucks.

I think it's already taking effect psychologically. I'm rolling harder and harder at BJJ. Gassed out in the end though. Hopefully this kicks in a couple weeks down and I start really getting the synergistic effects. Will add in a free weights program at that time too.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#203 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

New PR in DL, 160kg !

Today is a good day.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#204 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Need to go the gym tonight to follow the programme you and I came up with butmy joints, specifically my knees, have been in agony since monday. Its killing me and I think it because of all the kneeling down ive been doing in work and must have twisted them or something. I will be going tomorrow and sunday because the gym is always quiet then and I can take my time. Then back on it tuesday

#205 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

A demonstration of how much tension a bench shirt builds up

#206 User is offline   Studious Lock 

• Whore of the State
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens
  • Interests:Playing sexy, sexy mandolin.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hey, I just have a couple of questions really...

Just to explain, I've been considering doing some sort of workout for sometime but I'm not sure what I should be doing to fulfill my goals.

My goals:

I'm 175cm and about 154pounds. I would like to lose a bit of fat and gain muscle whilst remaining roughly this weight, are there any exercises that are particularly useful for this? (I don't mind some increase in weight but I want to maintain a slim build)

To gain strength that will help with my Wing Chun. Any martial artists out there have any useful power/speed training exercises that may help?

My worry:

I've seen other guys that have started working out in our Wing Chun group have a drop in performance due to unnecessary tension, mostly in the shoulders, and I don't want this to happen to me. I think by picking my workout days correctly (for example the day straight after wing chun, so it is as far away as possible from the next training day) and by limiting shoulder work I could possibly get around this... Anyone else have any ideas?

As for want I want building up, mostly my core, abs and arms (especially biceps as the wing chun punch heavily relies on the triceps so my arms look slightly unbalanced in their favour). My legs are pretty good, thanks to lots of running up and down hills as well as the Chun training itself.

Cheers for any help :wine:
Hi, I'm Tom, and I put the Man in Mandolin.

#207 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Im sure Amph will weigh in when he sees this as your both in the same boat (martial artists first lifters second) but ill say this

A minimalistic strength building programme is probably the right thing to do. Limiting shoulder exercises will increase the muscle imbalance your trying to avoid. Aslong as you train sensibly and with a minimalistic strength approach youll be fine. By all means structure your lifting to minimise its effect on your training. Id say the other guys in your class (?) have been doing higher volume workouts on shoulders causing increased tension. Its less about limiting shoulder workouts and more about maintaining your shoulder mobility. Id hazard a guess that the were doing dumbell lateral raises which, in high volume as I imagine they were doing, can cause alot of stress on the rotator cuff, thus leading to a limited range of motion. Train your shoulders but concentrate on soft tissue work afterwards aswell as doing shoulder disloctions to limit both soreness and tightness. The strength approach will also help with the martial arts and not lead to you becoming bulky as is associated with more hypertrophy style programmes.

As I said Amph will know more but id suggest Squats, Bench, Deadlifts, Rows (potentially powercleans here as the explosive style movement your after for fighting would directly correlate) pull ups and dips. These are minimal but large compound lifts that will not target any area of the body specifically but will give your overall body (esp your core which you say you want to get stronger) a good workout each time. If you train twice a week id say lift twice a week aswell on days that will least affect your training

http://www.t-nation....661-mcd01.hydra

This post has been edited by Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam: 26 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

#208 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

First off, let me help you already now Studious so you don't waste your time.

You cannot gain muscle and maintain the same fat percentage at the same time. I know you don't exactly write this, but it sounds like this is what you are after (and its a popular myth).

You either lose weight, muscle but lower your body fat percentage.
Or gain weight, muscle and increase your body fat percentage.

With that said, you can begin to lean bulk which would mean that you are in a low calorie surplus, in order to keep your body fat not rising too much, and building muscle mass more slowly.

I don't know much about wing chun, but I know quite a bit about martial arts (having trained it for the past 8 years).

You will probably want to do your exercises explosive in order to increase explosivity and acceleration. Furthermore, it can be very useful so train heavy meanwhile, to increase strenght. Not knowing the particulars of wing chun, it is hard for me to exactly tell where to place your focus and on which exercises.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#209 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Like Sindriss said there's not some kind of magical exercise or training programme that builds muscle and maintains bodyfat percentage. These kinds of things are adjusted through your diet not exercises. Muscle growth is dependent upon the body getting enough carbs and protein to build it self up after it gets broken down. To make sure you get enough you need to eat with a calorie surplus. In extreme cases, what in bodybuilding is called bulking, you can't help putting on fat in the process. But that is when you are doing serious elite training and diet planning. You can get good gains with out having to eat two dozen eggs and drinking butter. Calculate how much protein and carbs you need in a day, how many calories all in all, and eat a bit more than what you find out what you need. Feeling hungry? Eat more. Feeling like you don't have enough energy? Adjust your carb intake, etc.

Also if you're having problems with muscle tension or stiffness or lack of flexibility try looking into serious stretching programmes and massage techniques. A foam roller can do wonders I hear.

#210 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Lots of long posts. If you're trying to remain slim, go swim, and fix your diet. Swimming is fantastic for all your muscles. Diet is what loses fat. So it should accomplish what you're trying to.

I wouldn't recommend lifting weights, especially since you have beginner gains which will make you gain weight, if you're doing it right (and if you're not doing it right, what's the point?). I gained 15 lbs in a month or so doing what Tiam said, mostly from fixed diet and beginner gains. If that's not what you're looking for, do some cardio.

If you're looking to get stronger practically (not for looks, but for the strength) then do a modified version of SS or SL.

Rambling.

In other news, the stuff you lot have put me onto here have me stronger than ever, and looking great. My BP and OHP have begun increasing since I stopped my DL and Squat increases. I'm squatting 1.5x bodyweight with ease at this point. And that's after I couldn't even squat the bar properly a few months ago. My DL is a little over 1.5x BW.

#211 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Ive deloaded my DL to just over body weight and will be doing 110 for 3x5. I found I couldnt get my technique right on the heavier weights just doing 1x5 so deloaded. I dont really mind as ive been doing a programme me and Sindriss put together a while back that has me training 4 times a week. Still good and ive laid off the squats completely as my knees are swollen. Ill get back on them next week but these 2 weeks on non squatting after squatting everytime Ive worked out for thr last few years is nice.

#212 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Studious Lock, on 26 March 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

To gain strength that will help with my Wing Chun. Any martial artists out there have any useful power/speed training exercises that may help?

Pull-ups (full hang, wide arm pull-ups done as fast as you can). Vary this with towel pull-ups to work on grip strength as well.

Squats to build your entire posterior chain and in particular your legs. Deadlifts will get you real good at pulling heavy things towards you. Overhead presses (doesn't have to be strict, can do the push to get the bar up there) to get you used to pushing heavy things in weird directions.

I dunno what you mean by shoulder tension stuff, but stretching is important. Kelly Starrett is a genius at this stuff and can get you looser and stronger with his Mobility Workouts of the Day. Go through all of that stuff and pick out the ones that you like or need.

As for want I want building up, mostly my core, abs and arms (especially biceps as the wing chun punch heavily relies on the triceps so my arms look slightly unbalanced in their favour). My legs are pretty good, thanks to lots of running up and down hills as well as the Chun training itself.

This is vanity stuff. That's okay. Nothing wrong with that.

However, if you squat and deadlift, as well as throwing in a few benches and overhead presses, you'll be more than fine with the body image stuff as well as getting strong.

#213 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

last night - 4 k run, followed by:

Clean and press:

40 kilo 10 reps
42.5 kilo 10 reps
45 kilo 10 reps.

Squat:
5@ 60
5@ 70
5@ 80
5@ 90
5@ 100....

today, because of train failures - five mile run home.......

#214 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

To continue the martial arts thing - not much out there is going to make you better at a martial art than doing that martial art as much as possible. Drill the shizniz out of what you are working on, spar with resisting partners and ratchet up that fitness level higher and higher.

Today I skipped the run, but went and did an hour of BJJ. Probably 40 minutes of drilling and 20 minutes of sparring. Good solid sweat broken out and tomorrow I'll get a great set of wind sprints and put together the squat cage.

Right now, I am about 5'10" (174 cm, I guess) and 182 lbs (82 or 83 kg). If I reach my targeted goal by late May or June, I'll be able to run 3 to 5 miles (5 to 8 km) no problems, do a bunch of wind sprints with only a minimum of misery, spar at a very high intensity for about four or five matches of five minutes in a row without puking or shitting myself, squat 280+ lbs (127 kg), do 15+ pullups in a row, 100+ plyos in a row and have much better technique.

My weight at the end of this should bottom out in the 160s (70ish kg) and then start rising again.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 29 March 2012 - 03:54 AM

#215 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

I have to say, deadlifting has completely transformed my overall body strength. Everything I do now is so fluid and strong compared to before.

Also, my abs are looking fantastic. Summer cut going well.

#216 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:31 AM

JLV said:

1333595084[/url]' post='950879']
I have to say, deadlifting has completely transformed my overall body strength. Everything I do now is so fluid and strong compared to before.

Also, my abs are looking fantastic. Summer cut going well.

Next up.....Power Cleans!!!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#217 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

My explosiveness sucks. I'm doing hill sprints to work on that along with cardio. Next fall I'll start up with power cleans.

#218 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Power cleans will strip the fat off you and work your 'abz for the ladeez' better than a standard DL will.

#219 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

It's insane how good they are for you.
@JLV. Box jumps are great for explosiveness also.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#220 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

gym is shutting for bank holiday weekend (sodding Uni gym)

so.....

3.2 k in 15 mins on treadmill.
Shoulder press:
10@35k
10@40k
5@45k
5@50k
3@55k
3@60k

Bench:
10@40k for warm up
10@60k
10@65k
10@70k
10@70k
7@75k
12@60k
9@60k

Deadlift:
5@60k
5@80k
5@100k
2@150k.... realistically I should say this was two sets of 1@150k.

Pull ups (palms out, slightly wider than shoulder width grip)
5 sets of 7, locking elbows out at the bottom of each rep.

This post has been edited by Cocoreturns: 05 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users