• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#521 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:23 AM

I'm turning in my final paper at Uni next week and will probably find myself unemployed on the job market for a while, so I plan to get seriously back into weightlifting again there.

I actually began lifting again in September. Lost some weight and put on some muscle but exams have been busy these past weeks.

If I had to make some new years resolutions, they would be to:

Lose around 30 pounds of fat and try to gain 15 pounds of muscle.

By New Years Eve 2017 I want to be able to:

Deadlift 170 kgs
Bench 90 kgs
Squat 120 kgs
Do 3 sets of pulls ups for 10 reps.

EDIT: Actually some more challenging goals. In 2017 I want to teach myself to use olympic lifts and incorporate some snatches, cleans, pulls, etc. into my program.

This post has been edited by Apt: 31 December 2016 - 11:31 AM

#522 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostVengeance, on 30 December 2016 - 11:18 PM, said:

I just actually want to get to the gym. I haven't gone consistently in 5 years. So I need to work on everything. I don't need to lose any weight though. I am still the same weight I was in high school. I just need to gain some muscle back and get my endurance/ speed up. I would like to be able run a 6 minute mike when I turn 40 later this year and be able to run at that speed for at least 3 miles.

You are in a position where you probably have to pack the gym bag the night before and take it with you to work for a lunch session or a before you get home session.

Building the habit and the regular time to get to the gym is tough. You can do it, as you've built an even tougher thing in a great family.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#523 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

Creating that routine and being consistent is definitely key. During the fall I made it my rule that in the weekdays I'd get up at 5.30ish every day and go to the gym first thing in the morning. It ensured that I couldn't make any excuses and that I didn't start the day before I got my 90 minutes or so in.

#524 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

i'm one who passes gym on way home, so i take gym kit to work with me every morning - pack it along with my lunch the night before.

Then on way home it's a case of "well, i have my gym kit with me ANYWAYS, may as well go....."

Works pretty well for me B)

Amph, any goals for the year mate?

how's BJJ going?
meh. Link was dead :(

#525 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 31 December 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

i'm one who passes gym on way home, so i take gym kit to work with me every morning - pack it along with my lunch the night before.

Then on way home it's a case of "well, i have my gym kit with me ANYWAYS, may as well go....."

Works pretty well for me B)

Amph, any goals for the year mate?

how's BJJ going?

I pack my gym bag in the morning and put in my car trunk for after work too. The "aw fuck, I'm tired, I'd have to go home, pack, and then go to the gym" excuses get much harder to use when the gym bag is sitting there, ready to go.

I'm planning on competing in a medium level grappling tourney in the summer of 2017. I'm midway through purple belt (with a very slow promoting coach) and he thinks I can get a few brown belts who are currently winning tourneys in my area. My main thing is that running for cardio is really, really hard because 1) I hate running and 2) my pulmonary emoblism/lung collapse from a few years ago makes it tough to run for extended periods of time.

As far as my actual training is going, I'm surprisingly in good shape. I'm stronger than before, weight is hovering about 200 lbs (when it could be in the high 180s), but I'm not a fatty mcfatterson, my grip strength is alright, my pull to my core motions are good, and I have better leg drive than almost anyone at my level who wasn't a wrestler in grade school. I do have a weak set of upper body movements akin to the bench press motion/curl motion and I could do much better in terms of leg flexibility. Have to improve those.

So let's put a goal of being a brown belt inside a year and a half and a couple competition wins in that time frame too. I also want to be a much better teacher of the kids - I'm learning now how different kids learn differently and how best to recognize when to switch up approaches. Also learning how to positively reinforce and when to be strict. It's more difficult than parenting/babysitting because I only have them for a couple hours a week if that. I also have to make sure the parents are aware and supportive of what's going on. Watching my coach navigate this has been hugely helpful.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#526 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:37 PM

I'm weighing in around 270 right now. Between both my kids sleeping like shit and working an insane amount of hours i've really let my eating and exercising go to hell.

But. This year I will once again get my fatass to the gym at 5AM and I will get back down to 245 and my bodyfat % will get to around 12%.

Dont really have any weight lifting goals this year, but i really would like to be able to do 10+ pullups for reps.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#527 User is offline   Azathmaster 

• Rewinder of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • First Survivor in the Survivors' Guild

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:55 PM

Looking to gain about 20-30 lbs (9-14 kilos) of (hopefully) mostly muscle before next (American) football season and get stronger, hopefully I should see some serious playing time next year since the guy who started at my position will be graduating. As for lifts, here are the goals:

Deadlift: 405lbs (184 kilos)
Squat: 365lbs (166 kilos)
Bench Press: 250lbs (113.5 kilos)
Power Clean: 250lbs (113.5 kilos)

I shouldn't have any issue with motivation or keeping on my goals since we have team workouts and keep track of all of our individual workouts as well, it's just a matter of pushing myself during the lifts, as well as figuring out what the deal is with my right wrist and shoulder, the shoulder's been affecting my bench and the wrist is messing with my Clean form. Seeing a doctor about my shoulder hopefully next week, will probably ask about the wrist too.
"To victory! It feels unfamiliar, but it tastes like chicken"

#528 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Strength is my goal for 2017. I was on a really good pace for getting fit at the gym until last Spring, when a busy schedule sidelined my gym time. The muscle definition I was gaining in the upper body has gone to pot. B)

I am back from a knee injury though, so I'm running again. Am signed up for a 10 mile run on the 22nd this month and will do a 10km event shortly after. I am about 6 pounds (2-3kg) over the weight I would like to be. Although, if I turn that into muscle through strength training instead of fat, I'll be happy.

So yeah, gotta get back to the gym regularly. Amp's suggestion of having the gym bag packed and ready is really really good IMO. Thanks man! I already know that rule with running in the early AM. It's a lot easier to get my ass out of bed for a long run if I've already laid out all my stuff the night before.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#529 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Holy shitballs, I"m 275.

Too many mince pies last week.

#530 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:43 AM

I'm getting back after eight weeks off due to illness. First some unspecified intestinal issue, then noro. Ugh.

Strength is down from where it was but I'm working on it. We have some new toys - TIYRs and a prowler sled - so I'm incorporating those into my routine. Prowler sprints are HORRID.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#531 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 02 January 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Holy shitballs, I"m 275.

Holy balls...I remember you're quite a bit bigger than me, but not 95 pounds bigger.

I'll never forget weighing in at 205 pounds post Xmas-2007. Scared the crap out of me. I was down to 185 a year later. I try to hold myself at about 175 or so (but am at 182 right now). I'm only 5'9", mind.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#532 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

View PostShinrei, on 03 January 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 02 January 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Holy shitballs, I"m 275.

Holy balls...I remember you're quite a bit bigger than me, but not 95 pounds bigger.

I'll never forget weighing in at 205 pounds post Xmas-2007. Scared the crap out of me. I was down to 185 a year later. I try to hold myself at about 175 or so (but am at 182 right now). I'm only 5'9", mind.

I am going to do everyone a favor and not mention how much bigger SB is then me. Since I still remember him picking me up like a doll and spinning me over his head.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#533 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

How tall are you Slow Ben? Is he like some kind of Southern Giant?

#534 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostApt, on 03 January 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

Yes he is like a southern giant. I am 6 feet and he is a good 8 feet taller then me. Well he is probably 6' 4" or something like that.

#535 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostVengeance, on 03 January 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 03 January 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

Yes he is like a southern giant. I am 6 feet and he is a good 8 feet taller then me. Well he is probably 6' 4" or something like that.

See the link.

https://forum.malaza...550#entry794550

#536 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

I'm right at 6' 5".

I was around 260 at the meetup. And I still don't remember why i thought it was a good idea to start picking up Malazans and spinning them in Venge's kitchen.

#537 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 January 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

I'm right at 6' 5".

I was around 260 at the meetup. And I still don't remember why i thought it was a good idea to start picking up Malazans and spinning them in Venge's kitchen.

Lots of Belgium beer and shots.

#538 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

going through this page figuring the weights back into kg...

also 6' 5"?

Damn you're massive.

I'm 5' 9", a comparative midget

Still, good luck to all of you who have set yourselves some goals, go get them.
meh. Link was dead :(

#539 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

View PostVengeance, on 03 January 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 January 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

I'm right at 6' 5".

Lots of Belgium beer and shots.

Oh, yeah.

4 days into new nutrition program. I already feel less bloated and disgusting.

Start back at the gym monday.

#540 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

I am 6 feet 4. I weigh around 108 kg so 216 pounds I guess? I absolutely need to get down to around 90-95 kg, I have a disgusting pot belly and now the fat is attaching to my legs. The sedentary life imposed upon me by a PhD is to blame a lot for this. Now I have chronic back and knee pain. That is not cool and has to go.

I don't drink alcohol. At all. I have never smoked even once. Over the last year I have completely stopped drinking soda. My eating targets for this year are to minimize sugar and oil intake - so seriously reduce desserts and fries.

My exercise problems are complex. I can't do most gym stuff because I have had high blood pressure since I was 18. I wasn't even overweight back then. Doctor told me it was genetic and that I need to avoid weightlifting and other related exercise. I can do freehand, aerobics, situps, and fast walking as much as I want. But my knees are bad. My kneecaps have a tendency to dislocate. I have had this happen 4 times since I was 15. So I need to be careful

So I am planning a daily 1 hour workout - 50 situps, freehand, and 30 minutes on the treadmill.

I am having a tough time keeping track of my calories because most apps don't work with Indian diet - how do I get it to process a breakfast of cottage cheese and two different types of veg preperations?

So my goals are:

Lose minimum 10 kg.

Minimize sugar and oil in diet.

Complications are:

Have to avoid majority of gym exercises.
Need to be careful about my knees.
Difficult to keep track of calorie count of Indian food.

I would appreciate any advice

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users