• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#481 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

just out of curiosity, why trap bar deads instead of regular?
meh. Link was dead :(

#482 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

I've injured my lower back a few times doing various things so I'm quite cautious with it. The trap bar lets me move more at a much lower risk. I'm thinking that whilst I cycle the load to increase weight, I'll work on my standard bar deads a bit now.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#483 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

So, been running cube method for strongman recently (minus stones though :veryangry: ), trying to get all my lifts back up to where they should be while running a slight cut at the same time.

OHP is nearly there (2.5kg off) as is push press (5kg off)
Bench haven't gone anywhere near max, but my 5*5 numbers are crawling back up.
Deadlift is about back.
Squat is lagging though. Not surprising though as (for me) it is the one most directly correlated with bodyweight. I get heavier, squat goes up.
lighter, squat goes down.

In addition to this doing strongman stuff as well, yoke is about back to max levels (220kg at present, and comfortably repping 180 kg for repeat runs), farmers walks getting there, and log press is getting back to decent.

haven't tried prowler or stones in a while yet though, but overall pretty happy with how its been shaping up.

Also trying to do 10,000 reps of pull ups/chin ups (all variations except f***ing kipping, ie narrow grip, wide grip, supinated,weighted, etc) and dips (weighted) this year. decided on that as a resolution (only started on 2nd February though, so a bit late. requiring an average of 30+ a day of both)

current numbers:
850/10,000 pull ups
422/10,000 dips

Pull ups are a lot easier to rack up as i have a bar at home so can smash out 20 odd a day no probs in addition to those i do at the gym.
Dips are a little awkward to do safely at home, so just doing them in the gym 2/3 times a week, averaging 50+ on those days though.

#484 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

I'm comfortably working up to 230-235kg on my deadlift most sessions now. Might be ready to try the 240 soon.

#485 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

240kg.

#486 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:36 AM

No weightlifting for me as I injured by back 2 years ago and its hurts ever fucken day,

but...

managed to keep up running about 2-3 times a week this summer and got my time down to 7:25 / mile which was my goal recently. My shin splints are not as bad so my goal is to run about 4 - 5 times a week. Dont really notice any physical difference but stamina is deff up since I was at 11min when I started.

i've found out there is a 5k beer run in my city so I am planning to run that next summer. Good to have a goal I suppose.

Everyone says that eventually its easy to get yourself to run but that is a damned lie. Its sooo hard to make myself go our running ever day.
No Touchy.

#487 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Finally getting back into working out again.

Been taking 530am classes at the crossfit place throughout the week and working on my olympic lifts on Saturdays. Sundays i eat biscuits and gravy and watch football.

Maxed out at 405 on my deadlift last week, something i've been working on for a long damn time, so i'm pretty f'ing pumped about that.

Concentrating on improving my overhead press and clean and jerk now.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#488 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

My job will be ending soon and for the last almost 2 years I was on 14 hour days so no real time for the gym. Next phase in life for me is back to finish college so i'll be planning in at least 4 days a week, probably 5. Looks like i'll be following this thread and posting more. That would be the goal anyways. Guess it's time to go to work.

This post has been edited by Arthur Dayne: 07 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#489 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

Ahh Deadlift.

I miss maxing mine (due to a dislocated shoulder that wasn't reset properly - my own fault, i popped it back in myself - i have tremendous trouble with that lift)

These days i stick with squattting. Speaking of, over the Christmas break managed a "pig squat" session:

20 reps @ 20kg (44lbs)
19 reps @ 30kg
18 reps @ 35kg
17 @ 40kg
16 @ 45kg
15 @ 50kg
14 @ 55kg
13 @ 60kg
12 @ 65kg
11 @ 70kg
10 @ 75kg
9 @ 80kg
8 @ 85 kg
7 @ 90kg
6 @ 95kg
5 @ 100kg
4 @ 105kg
3 @ 110kg
2 @ 115kg
1 @ 120kg - and added a bonus 4 reps to this as it was last set.

Managed the whole lot in about 70 minutes, and was surprised at the lightness of the DOMs.

Although it probably helped that as i was on holiday i had no qualms about basically eating EVERYTHING

Also managed a jerk pb (70kg) and a strict press pb (66kg) in recent weeks, so some progress at least, but bench has suffered

#490 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

The new year has arrived, and I foolishly weighed myself after a couple of years of injury and inactivity. Time to get back on track, but I am not a fan of gym work. Will hopefully be able to do bodyweight stuff so I can do it at home. But I'll need to start slowly.

I am currently approx 100 kg which is around 220pounds, but I'm only 5ft 7inches tall. The aim is to get down to under 85kg (approx 185llb) over the next year. I'd be happy enough with that. Even when I was playing soccer at basically a semi-professional level and very fit, I was rarely under the 80kg mark, and didn't feel as good when i was.

I need to start the jogging up again too, but my ankles don't like that too much.

The diet is being addressed as we speak, but any suggestions as to the best exercises to help with posture, and to try and lose the dreaded belly without big weights or equipment?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#491 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

Binder,

Given that you say you have ankle issues, DO NOT start running.

Instead I'd recommend cycling as a means of improving general fitness without possible impact trauma for your ankle, and losing weight to boot.

Regarding posture, I assume you have similar issues to me (work at a desk all damn day) - initially look at simple stuff like regularly stretching, expanding the chest, etc, while sitting at desk.

#492 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 08 January 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

Binder,

This.

Unless you just enjoy running, id never recommend it for getting in shape. Now if you love running, thats another story.

And dont get complicated with free weights when you're first starting out. Get awesome at pushups, pullups (if you cant do pullups, either use a band or find a way to do inverted rows) and situps/planks/abs to begin with.

#493 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

Cheers for the advice lads, the reason I mentioned running is that I still try and play soccer once a week at least, and a small bit of jogging is easy enough for me to 'just go out and do it'. Much as i dislike the running in general, the roads near me are terrible for cycling, quite apart from the poor weather and bad light which make it even more dangerous. I can't quite give up the soccer yet, I just love it too much, and that just about keeps me sane.

As for the exercises, I'm starting off with the sit-ups and push-ups, but the pull-ups are a real struggle for me. I have pretty wonky joints in general, very very loose, so generally I find 'pushing' exercises much easier to do (and more powerful) than any 'pulling' exercise. Trying to do some dips as well (the bed base is a decent enough height for that). Wish i had something to do a full body dip as well. Haven't done them in years, but i found them great before.

I have a a couple of fitness apps on the phone, which can give me a schedule to build up the sit-up/pull-up/push-up numbers gradually. Or is there a general rule of thumb you'd use instead? Any Tips for circuits?

Since I'll probably be starting out light to just get into it routinely, I'm going to go for a few circuits first thing in the morning, and a second small workout, either immediately prior to, or immediately after I walk the dog in the evening (or that small jogging session). The dog walks happen every day, while the jogging will only be every other day.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

- Anonymous

#494 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

I would go with light sprints in the backyard over a full on jog. Shorter time spent running, higher intensity, more variety. It's more soccer applicable too as you can go sideways rather than getting really good at going forwards/backwards.

For push-ups, go in blocks of five. Whatever # of pushups you can do now (10 for example), aim to add 5 more in two weeks, then 5 more. Or if you feel comfortable adding 10 more, go. For pullups, adding 2 per 2 week interval is probably doable for a while. I suggest burpees for the leg development as well. It seems like you're focusing on upper body things more than lower body, (mentioning pushups, pullups, dips etc.) which is not soccer-ideal, but may be more indicative of your fitness goals overall.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 08 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#495 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

I f'ing LOVE sprints.

And they're amazing for you.

#496 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:29 AM

I hear ya with the sprints. I always sucked at straight up jogging when soccer training, and used to use the sprints to recover. But I would do my own sprints after training to try and build sprinting endurance since I never felt we did enough of them. Depending on how I felt I would start on the endline beside the goalpost and do
Sprint to the 6 yard line, and jog back (x10)
Sprint to the penalty spot, and jog back (x10)
Sprint to the edge of the penalty area, ie 21yards, and jog back (x10)
Sprint to the halfway line, and jog back (x10)
Sprint to the opposite endline, and jog back (x10)
If I couldn't maintain the jog back, I would walk back and try and slow my breathing. And I would sometimes put in a half lap either walking or slow jogging to regain my breath between each distance change. The full pitch sprints were for preseason or after a very light session.

I played on the wing, so despite always being a bit heavy, I needed speed and endurance. Sadly I'm over 40 now, so my days of busting out those sprints are long gone. But the aim is to lose some weight, tone what muscle I have, and improve my posture.

- Anonymous

#497 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:32 PM

You also want to go side to side, as in this video (ignore all the hurdle and ladder stuff)

Being able to have straightline bursts of sprints is great, but changing directions quickly and smoothly (without wrecking knees) is really important, especially as we get older.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#498 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 08 January 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

Binder,

This.

Unless you just enjoy running, id never recommend it for getting in shape. Now if you love running, thats another story.

And dont get complicated with free weights when you're first starting out. Get awesome at pushups, pullups (if you cant do pullups, either use a band or find a way to do inverted rows) and situps/planks/abs to begin with.

I'd avoid situps personaly. They don't do all that much. A better exercise would be squats. Usually I'd suggest the compound lifts for starters - bench, deadlift, squat, overhead press and pullups.

#499 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

View PostMaark, on 11 January 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 08 January 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

Binder,

This.

I'd avoid situps personaly. They don't do all that much. A better exercise would be squats. Usually I'd suggest the compound lifts for starters - bench, deadlift, squat, overhead press and pullups.

That was supposed to say body weight, not free weights.

Normally I'd agree on the sit-ups, but for body weight and a beginner they're an easy starter.

#500 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

Been working mostly on Front Squats for the last few weeks.

F me, they suck are awesome.

Havent done them in about 10 years, the goal is 250. Shouldnt be too difficult once i get my mobility and form back.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users