• Walker of Edges
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Benchpress
Squat
Deadlift
Any shoulder exercise you like
As much biceps and triceps as you want

And then basically do that 3 times a week to build up an initial fundament which can be used to further advance your body once you realize which direction you want to take.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#182 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostSindriss, on 11 March 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Benchpress
Squat
Deadlift
Any shoulder exercise you like
As much biceps and triceps as you want

And then basically do that 3 times a week to build up an initial fundament which can be used to further advance your body once you realise which direction you want to take.

As I said, if you look back a few pages the programme ive been doing for the last few years and had recently started up was a programme exactly how you described

#183 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Okay, sorry. Didn't see that.

What do you want to achieve with the training?

As I think I mentioned, a 2 split is a classic that never goes out of style.

In that you would something like:

Day 1
Chest
Triceps
Legs

Day 2
Biceps
Back
Shoulder

And then you can do stomach any day you want :p Regarding quantity and sets, it is really up to you. 3x8, 5x5, 3x10 etc, it all works pretty well really.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

#184 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Exercises?
I gotta say because I dont really know what im doing with dumbells etc I might just get back on SL 5 x5. Its a few pages back if you want to have a look

#185 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

I used to sleep 2 hours a night and not even give a shit. Since I've started deadlifting (yes, deadlifting specifically) I need 8 hours or I feel like I'm going to die.

#186 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostFriendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam, on 12 March 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

Exercises?
I gotta say because I dont really know what im doing with dumbells etc I might just get back on SL 5 x5. Its a few pages back if you want to have a look

Okay, I can give some suggestions. However, is there any specific muscle groups that you think should deserve increased attention?

#187 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

5k run followed by
5*5 squat 100 kilo
5*5 bench 80 kilo

and i'm feeeeeeeeelin' good........
meh. Link was dead :(

#188 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostSindriss, on 13 March 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

View PostFriendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam, on 12 March 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

Exercises?

Okay, I can give some suggestions. However, is there any specific muscle groups that you think should deserve increased attention?

Im 6'1 , 95KG and am pretty broad across so to speak. Legs are large but I have quite small arms for my size. This is ofc because I have focused solely on strength for a good while and have been trying to buld stength up. I think the plan is now for to simply get back on the strength training I love so much yet do some extra isolation work afterwards. Itll be fine aslong as I eat and sleep right which I am atm apart from a few nights out where I get slaughtered.

I would appreciae yoour advice on any aspect

#189 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hehe, I had the same situation as you did for quite some time. A very good core, strong legs, chest, back etc. But small arms for my frame (although I am smaller, only 174 and at 75kg currently).

What I decided to do after consulting with my friend who is a medicine student with a very high interest in bodybuilding, is to start trainings with isolated biceps and triceps exercises. Do you strenght exercises with high weight. Then normal exercises for the rest of the body and then end the training with german super sets in biceps and triceps. Supersets is basically, to fx do 1x10 with 20 kg, and then 10 sec after do 1x10 with 17.5, and again after those 10-15 sec do as many as you can with 15 kg. You probably understand the concept. This way, you combine the hypertrofic essence of both high weight low reps and low weight high reps.

SL's is a classic that never goes out of style. If you had good results with the program, there is no harm in redoing it while emphasizing your arms so that they better fit your frame.

#190 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

This man is crazy.

In other news I did Bulgarian Split Squats for the first time ever today. Hood's breath these things are diabolical.

They look something like this if you've never seen them before:

After 4 sets of squats, these things were MURDER. We'd never tried them before but I'd seen people doing them here and there and I'd heard they were really good leg exercises. Since we were changing our programme again I thought we'd try them out seeing as I like doing one legged exercises like lunges or one-leg press, etc. I mean, how hard could they be?

I think they might be the most complicated exercise I've ever tried.

We tried with out any weight and we were wobling around and trying to just not fall over. We tried adding some weight to see if it helped with the balance and I then discovered that attempting to use a lot of weight is a big mistake. We tried with two 7,5 kg dumbbels and we could hardly do 10 reps and we were still wobling around. We went down to 5 kgs and just tried to do them with a modicum of dignity. On the last set we were almost getting the balance thing down but I was sweating and grunting and breathing harder than than on the heaviest set of Squats. Damn this exercise.

I've watched some more videos of the exercise on youtube and I can see that people recommend only using one dumbbell and using it as a counter weight for the side that is doing the pushing. Going to have to do some experiments.

#191 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

I actually did something very similar when I trained karate.

Exactly the same as that guy in the video, except I wouldn't use that bench for the rear leg. Very good training.

#192 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

I have the same hat that the guy is wearing in the first video. Weird.

#193 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

Started Wing Chun. Loving it. Its free too!!
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#194 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostSindriss, on 14 March 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Hehe, I had the same situation as you did for quite some time. A very good core, strong legs, chest, back etc. But small arms for my frame (although I am smaller, only 174 and at 75kg currently).

What I decided to do after consulting with my friend who is a medicine student with a very high interest in bodybuilding, is to start trainings with isolated biceps and triceps exercises. Do you strenght exercises with high weight. Then normal exercises for the rest of the body and then end the training with german super sets in biceps and triceps. Supersets is basically, to fx do 1x10 with 20 kg, and then 10 sec after do 1x10 with 17.5, and again after those 10-15 sec do as many as you can with 15 kg. You probably understand the concept. This way, you combine the hypertrofic essence of both high weight low reps and low weight high reps.

SL's is a classic that never goes out of style. If you had good results with the program, there is no harm in redoing it while emphasizing your arms so that they better fit your frame.

Yeh im back on SL now with some extra arm work added in. Im not really (or never used to be atleast) bothered by small arms but I think its because im training in a gym where everyone is a captain upper body that makes me want to jump on the wagon. Theres nothing as demotivating as putting a bar on your back, hitting parallel then busting your arse getting it up than to have a guy who weighs 20 kilos less than you with bigger arms having a nice easy workout yet looking like he lifts. I think thats what is it rather than the arms thing. I look big and am not really bothered by perceptions (again usually) but I think its the change in evironment from strength gym to a strictly bodybuilding gym.

anyway firrst day back on SL

S 100 3 x 5 (felt like shit and didnt have 5 sets in me, will do 5 x 5 next time I go)
OHP 70 5 5 5 4 4 (strict technique no push press but still cant get the whole 5 sets out of this)
DL- 3 reps of 130 (I have come to the conclusion that me DL technique is shit. It used to be very good but I got to he third rep and thought I can do the next 2 reps but id be muscling it up. Gonna restart on a bodyweight DL and build up from there which seems sensible)
Dead hang pull ups - 5 5 5 5 4 (coming along nicely)

I also ripped my pants squatting and am going to buy stretchy pants and boxers.

#195 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

That's a massive OHP, compared to me.

Mine is 115lbs, 5x3
Squat is currently 225lbs 5x3
DL 275lbs 5x1
Bench Press 185lbs 5x3

#196 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

I just have to say that I disagree about the 3 split with 3 days training. I've been back on this type of programme for 5 months now and I've been dramatically increasing strength, muscle size, endurance and losing fat.

Whatever works for you is fine, but for whatever reason this works for me and the guy I go with.
I AM A TWAT

#197 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

what do you currently do?

#198 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostCougar, on 15 March 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

I just have to say that I disagree about the 3 split with 3 days training. I've been back on this type of programme for 5 months now and I've been dramatically increasing strength, muscle size, endurance and losing fat.

Whatever works for you is fine, but for whatever reason this works for me and the guy I go with.

I think its more a question of, would your results have been better doing another program? With dedication, good discipline and proper eating/sleeping, any program will help you. But I really still think that a 3 split should not be used in that way.

#199 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Frankly, Sin', I doub't they would. The only thing I have in your list is dedication. I eat poorly and i sleep badly.

Slight update on the last one: I train Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I'm short of time so I have about an hour and a half to do all this so I don't take my time.

All 3 X 8 unless otherwise stated.

Monday
Flat Bench Press 85kgs
Free Dips (leaning forward a little to make them more chest focused) as many as I can (last time was 22, 18, then failing at 16)
Incline Dumbell Bench Press 24kgs per hand
Pulley Flys with an Incline Bench 15kgs per side
Chest Press (machine) 65kgs
The 'Kitten Press', (close handed bench press) at 50kg Sit ups, lots.

Wednesday
Deadlifts 80kgs
Wide arm pull ups (as many as possible in 3 sets)
Bent-over Dumbbell row 26kgs
Dumbell Shoulder Press 24kgs
Shurgs with 28kgs then a combination set with:
Standing Shoulder Flys 14kgs then, without a break onto
Benched Reverse Flys with 8kgs, rest and repeat to failure

Friday
Squats 3X8 - 120kgs
Calf Raises (using the Smith and one of those Reebok Step things) 3X8 120kgs

Leg Extensions 3x8 60kg
Hamstring extensions 3 x8 60kg
(these are machines - because they are essentially the reverse of each other to try and maintain an equivalent strength in the opposing muscles I do the same weight on each. This is an attempt to avoid injury since I do a lot of dead sprinting from a standing start if I'm playing rugby)
Leg Press Machine (calves and quads in different sets) 100kgs 8 x 3

Bicep curl 16kgs on the preacher
Dips (leaning back to concentrate on the triceps) as many as possible
21s with a 25kg bar
Standing Curls 12kgs
Old Ropey (pulley machine with 17.5kgs pulled down with the body at a slight angle to isolate the triceps.)

All three days:Leg raises and Seated Oblique Twists holding a 20kg weight.
I AM A TWAT

#200 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

S 3 x 5 102.5 (easy)
Bench 5 x 5 92.5
BB rows 5 x 5 70
dips 15,10,8 (im still a fat bastard but these are going up)
Preacher curls with a curl bar with 10 on each side 4 x 12
tricep wire pushdowns 4x 12 65

Eating- A massive chinese :wallbash:

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

21 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users