• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Web Comics: What do you read?

#21 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

I know nothing about Sohmer, and I have the (apparently rare) ability to ignore what I learn of a creator when trying to enjoy their output (see: Wagner). I like the comic, it's whimsical enough for me to enjoy it. And one thing he wrote (about discovering WoT and his mother buying him FoH when he was a kid and couldn't afford it when it came out) really struck a chord with me. I like the Sunday strips more than the daily strips, they're more innocent. I don't apologise for liking it, and nor do I agree that your opinion is gospel. For another thing, it's easily the best drawn strip of those above (possibly with the exception of C&H).
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#22 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

Oh man, I forgot about PBF! Although given how infrequently that updates, it's not something you really need to check all that often.
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#23 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 08 September 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

I know nothing about Sohmer, and I have the (apparently rare) ability to ignore what I learn of a creator when trying to enjoy their output (see: Wagner). I like the comic, it's whimsical enough for me to enjoy it. And one thing he wrote (about discovering WoT and his mother buying him FoH when he was a kid and couldn't afford it when it came out) really struck a chord with me. I like the Sunday strips more than the daily strips, they're more innocent. I don't apologise for liking it, and nor do I agree that your opinion is gospel. For another thing, it's easily the best drawn strip of those above (possibly with the exception of C&H).

"Sure, the writer's a douche, and I only like the nice Sunday strips instead of the vast majority, and the professional artist makes it look nicer than most of the other SHITTILY DRAWN AMATEUR DROSS YOU PLEBES have mentioned, but I still like it!"

EXCUSES

OK seriously though it's cool that he's spoken to you on a more personal level that enhances the enjoyment you get from it, and of course my opinion isn't necessarily fact though it should be. I will fight you if you think it's drawn better than Perry Bible Fellowship though, which is hands down the best webcomic ever made bar none, not even Dr McNinja.

I have a rating system and somewhat of a litmus test for webcomics: if they have more than half their strips which make me laugh, they're goodish. Above that ratio is great comics. Below that is mediocre comics. The litmus test proper is if they're anywhere close to what are the two worst ongoing webcomics in the history of the universe, Control Alt Delete and Hathor the Cow Goddess. There was a third member, Shredded Moose, but that was erased from the internet to save the world a few years ago and long forgotten by those unfortunate enough to have been exposed to it. Least I Could Do is bad, but not that bad.

Don't ask me about Hathor. Don't google it either. Don't think it won't be that bad, it will. Don't.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:30 AM

Oh that reminds me, Questionable Content is the worst web comic and its creator is history's greatest monster IMO.

And a couple other good comics I don't follow regularly anymore but probably should are Toothpaste for Dinner and his sister's comic NatalieDee, whose series of things with boners is one of the great comic theme weeks. For instance: http://www.nataliede...amsterboner.jpg
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

OK, I'll bite, why is Questionable Content not a fairly bland and inoffensive hipster fetish webcomic but instead worse than either Loss.jpg and breast milk bread: the comic? I am curious.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#26 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:07 AM

Ohhh NatalieDee is not Drew's sister. They're husband and wife. I read that too. I think they're getting tired of people janking their shit without credit though. She's put up a signature on her images.

Hyperbole and a Half, I read that too. That girl's creative.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:52 AM

Whoa, that is good to know, but goes to show how long it's been since I've followed either of them (they were the White Stripes of web comics for a while).

As far as QC goes, I dunno if I can explain my dislike for it. I don't think it's inoffensive, and would say its author has perhaps the most grating kind of "sense" of "humor" I've encountered in web comics. The comics you mentioned might be worse, I just haven't read them, but QC is the kind of thing that keeps popping up so it's harder to ignore. So yah, it's more a Jay Leno-by-way-of-Empire Records bad than Howard Stern/Andrew Dice Clay, and if you find the latter worse that's understandable.

To each their own and all that though, of course.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

I feel you lacking the knowledge to judge whether QC really is worse than CAD or Hathor is for the best, really.

#29 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

Sinfest, oglaf, blip (for some reason or other that I can't really explain, and I'm light years behind). Freakangels, of course. Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows, although I guess that's not really a webcomic seeing how it was first published in newspapers.

My past sins have been Exploitation Now (if you hate LICD, don't read the first 2 seasons of EN, if you don't like sudden changes to overly dramatic storylines, don't read anything after that), LFG and LICD, and PVP (which started to grate on me after a while).
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#30 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

View PostAbyss, on 07 September 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

Sluggy Freelance you phillistines.

Also, Sinfest.

I followed Sluggy for years, but it just seemed like he lost whatever it was that made it a good comic. There might have also been some shark jumping.

Edit, Also this thread reminds me that I have not read LICD for years. I think I will have to go catch up on it just to watch the hateful one foam at his beak just a tiny bit more.

This post has been edited by Dutch Flag: 08 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#31 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

i've never read one. :)
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#32 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

hehe order of the stick ftw. Also in a related thought stick fight 1 through 9 for the best flash fight scenes.

As far as webcomics go ive recently stuck to Looking for Group and if your not too religiously sensitiive, jesus in the name of the gun. Funny in a wrong-wow kinda way.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#33 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

Least I Could Do
Looking For Group
XKCD
Dark Legacy Comics
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Cyanide & Happiness
Oglaf
Order Of The Stick
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#34 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

JERKCITY

GLUAGLAGUAGLAGUAGLAGUAGLAGUALGLAGAUGALGUAG

IF I COULD BE ANY KIND OF FLOWER I'D BE A BIG ANGRY COCK

I MET ELVIS THROUGH A GLORY HOLE IN GOLDEN GATE PARK

#35 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

So many people with shitty taste, yet not shitty enough to even pretend to unironically enjoy CAD. I love it.

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

i cannot explain why, but GARFIELD MINUS GARFIELD cracks my shit up.

DR MCNINJA... varies between sheer brilliant comic mayhem (the Dracula on the Moon storyline) and trying to hard and falling short (the recent space shuttle thing).

THE ZOMBIE HUNTERS has potential (nice art, good world building, fun zombies) but the storylines draaaaaaaaaaa. Aaaaaaaaaaa. Aaaag. And now she updates like once a month. The existing strips are worth reading tho'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#37 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 September 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

THE ZOMBIE HUNTERS has potential (nice art, good world building, fun zombies) but the storylines draaaaaaaaaaa. Aaaaaaaaaaa. Aaaag.

Do they drag as much as some of the ones in Gunnerkrigg Court (if you read that) do?

Though Goblins has to take the gold medal there. Mostly because the fight scenes, of which there are a lot, can take between five and maybe twenty pages at a time and we get at best two updates a week. And since he's juggling several plotlines, it can take literally months to resolve a cliffhanger or mystery before he gets back to it.

It is rather ace though.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 09 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

ZOMBIEHUNTERS out drags GUNNERKRIGG by a wide margin. The characters once spent about seven strips hanging from a wire in the middle of a fight talking about the fact that they were hanging from a wire in the middle of a fight. i may be exagerrating slightly... it works on the reread but at the time it was tedious.

GUNNERKRIGG had its flaws, but each story has a beginning-middle-end and most of them are solid, plus the world is fascinating.

GOBLINS lost me after the second or third 80-strip fight scene.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#39 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

Mandatory.

Posted Image

#40 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

I like CAD...

In any case, Order of the Stick is hilarious because it speaks to my inner D&D nerd. The Noob was also kinda funny, but in my opinion it got stale after a point. I read Exiern, though not the uncensored part (it costs money). It's pretty funny too...sometimes.

I wish that I could enjoy XKCD more, but I'm afraid I don't really understand all the math "jokes" because I'm a mathematical illiterate.

I used to read "Least I could do" But I guess I just reached a point where it stopped being funny.

GUcomics was fun, back in the day. Now I dislike it on principle because the creator is a douchebag who owes me an apology!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users