• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Web Comics: What do you read?

#1 User is offline   majomull 

• Gallowglass
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

Not sure if there is already a thread like this- (most likely ), but what are your favorite web comics?

Mine= Something Positive, The Order of the Stick, Bad Machinery, and The Guilded Age.
Glittering Stone

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Every month or so I catch up on the latest XKCD and Penny Arcade comics, but otherwise I'm not really in to that stuff.

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

If you read:

Control Alt Delete
Megatokyo
Least I Could Do
Dominic Deegan

You have objectively shit taste and need to die.

If you don't read:

The Adventures of Dr McNinja

The same applies.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

So many good ones it's hard to keep up...

Moon Town
Anthronauts (not great but mildly amusing)
X-Wing Alliance (cheesy but it's SW damn it, I can't say no)
Alien Loves Predator
Oglaf (sooooooooo NSFW and not for kids but absolutely hilarious)
Gunnerkrigg Court
The Wandering Ones

There's one about elves too whose name escapes me.

And there was another which took shots from the LOTR movies and inserted dialogue as if it were a D&D campaign. Genius if you've ever played D&D, otherwise you probably won't get the jokes.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

I will also second Oglaf, DM of the Rings (hornlong's mention, now finished) and Darths and Droids (the same as DMOTR except for all six Star Wars movies, includes the line "Jar-Jar, you're a genius!" and means it, at the end of Revenge at the moment) too.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

cyanide and happiness

#7 User is offline   majomull 

• Gallowglass

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

I had forgotten about DMOTR, and never knew about Darths and Droids. I think my work productivity just took a hit.....
Glittering Stone

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Sluggy Freelance you phillistines.

Also, Sinfest.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   weaverbird05 

• Corporal

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

I really like ones that alter older comics that I am already fond of and put them in a different light - such as 3eanuts (which becomes super depressing) or Garfield Minus Garfield (focusing on the mental instability of Jon Arbuckle).

#10 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:02 PM

Gunnerkrigg Court, Goblins, Order of the Stick, Questionable Content and XKCD.

I could do with another slice-of-life/joke of the day one. Daisy Owl is dead, I don't like Diesel Sweeties anymore (despite it being the one that got me into webcomics in the first place, on the recommendation of Warren Ellis no less), and for some reason I've never got into Penny Arcade.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

XKCD, Oglaf, Erfworld and I wish, wish, wish that Truck Bearing Kibble would come back. XKCD and Oglaf are just below Calvin & Hobbes, The Boondocks and Lio in my personal list of greatest comics ever.

I really try to stay away from the comics that just hate on stuff, which is what I view Penny Arcade to be. Someday I'll work my way through Achewood and see what's up with the love for that comic.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

First thing every morning, I read these comics in this order:

Dilbert: www.dilbert.com
Calvin and Hobbes: www.calvinandhobbes.com
Sinfest: www.sinfest.net
Cyanide and Happiness: www.explosm.net/comics
XKCD: www.xkcd.net
Least I Could Do: www.leasticoulddo.com
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal: www.smbc-comics.com

I occasionally look at Penny Arcade, read Megatokyo until I realised it wasn't funny any more.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 07 September 2011 - 09:09 PM, said:

First thing every morning, I read these comics in this order:

Dilbert: www.dilbert.com
Calvin and Hobbes: www.calvinandhobbes.com
Sinfest: www.sinfest.net
Cyanide and Happiness: www.explosm.net/comics
XKCD: www.xkcd.net
Least I Could Do: www.leasticoulddo.com
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal: www.smbc-comics.com

I occasionally look at Penny Arcade, read Megatokyo until I realised it wasn't funny any more.

So, how do you look at this deeply unpleasant misogynistic narcissistic hypocritical unfunny wankstain of a man who does horrible things to all his friends on a routine basis and treats women in the shittiest manner possible who writes a comic featuring himself as his self insert except he doesn't drive away all his friends, runs a company despite doing nothing, actually sleeps with women instead of getting maced and insults other webcomics for missing occasional days when they have easily twice his workload since he only writes shit jokes and doesn't draw his own comic, and enjoy it? Cause I tried to do so myself and as a result of reading it I would not be terribly upset if he died in a fire.

More upset then if Dilbert's Scott Adams burnt up in some similar kind of conflagration, of course, but Adams is a lot more upfront about what a fucking douchebag he is. He has greater gargantuan-quivering-vaginaoscity, as it were.

#14 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

I haven't caught myself up in ages, but I usually check out:

Penny Arcade
Dinosaur Comics
A Softer World
Nedroid
PVP
The Trenches
Shortpacked!
Dumbing of Age
Buttersafe
White Ninja
Patches
Garfield Minus Garfield
Square Root of Minus Garfield
Diesel Sweeties
Girl Genius
xkcd
Darths & Droids
Wonderella
Hark! A Vagrant
Least I Could Do

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 07 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#15 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:47 PM

Stop beating around the bush, Illy.

#16 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

I HAVE OPINIONS AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE THEM

#17 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

You should write a webcomic.

#18 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

There are four I read religiously:

SMBC
xkcd
Cyanide and Happiness
Wondermark

As you can tell from the list, I'm not really into Webcomics with ongoing storylines - I prefer each comic to stand alone (occasionally Wondermark does multi-strip arcs, but it's usually made up for by having one per day instead of two per week). SMBC is by far my favourite, especially some of the back-catalogue (nowadays the style is slightly different and results in a slightly higher dud to awesome ratio). It might fill your need for another Joke of the Day comic, PG.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#19 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 September 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

So, how do you look at this deeply unpleasant misogynistic narcissistic hypocritical unfunny wankstain of a man who does horrible things to all his friends on a routine basis and treats women in the shittiest manner possible who writes a comic featuring himself as his self insert except he doesn't drive away all his friends, runs a company despite doing nothing, actually sleeps with women instead of getting maced and insults other webcomics for missing occasional days when they have easily twice his workload since he only writes shit jokes and doesn't draw his own comic, and enjoy it? Cause I tried to do so myself and as a result of reading it I would not be terribly upset if he died in a fire.

I don't know a damn thing about Ryan Sohmer's actual life, but I didn't like Least I Could Do because it came off as a shittier, wish-fulfillment version of Tucker Max. The writing of the comic turned me off it.

Max is actually funny and insightful about his friends' motivations and actions, furthermore he gets his ass kicked verbally or physically once in a while. LICD has every single character in it be a pushover for the main guy and it doesn't really get anything inventive or deeply amusing out of the whimsical stuff it does.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

achewood
cat and girl
boy on a stick and slither (returned after a long hiatus!)
penny arcade
diesel sweeties
ornery boy
three word phrase (which gave us this excellent strip):

Posted Image

I used to read a lot more but lost touch with some, the best of which were:
jerk city
wigu
exploding dog
the creatures in my head
and of course PERRY BIBLE FELLOWSHIP

What is least i could do? Tucker Max the comic?

edit: I see that question has already been answered.

This post has been edited by worrywort: 08 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users