Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kalam, Temper, and the Deadhouse?

#1 User is offline   whiskeydut 

• Sapper
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

So what is the deal, the house that Kalam made it to was the Deadhouse, right? And Temper pulled him in, so what does that mean? Does the Deadhouse have some sort of healing power and did Kalam survive?

#2 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

It was Shadowthrone who pulled him in the deadhouse. As with Rallick Nom and Vorcan in GOTM, time stands still in the Azath similar to time on the Silanda. You should finish the series as this is addressed in later books. I cant help anymore without possible spoilers.

#3 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

Shadowthrone didn't pull him in, he just dropped him at the door.
HAIL THE MARINES!

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

ST drags him to the Deadhouse porch or whatever, sees Temper come out of the bar (I think), and skedaddles. Neither of them was the individual who pulled Kalam inside.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

So who was it that drug him into 'House?
HAIL THE MARINES!

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

I believe that's a total unknown.
General Spoiler:
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

could be several personages.

gothos
jhenna (doubtful, taken by the house in NoK)
the empty suit of armour that seems to act as the houses personal avatar (see DG)
some other being serving the azath.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#8 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 18 August 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

could be several personages.

gothos
the empty suit of armour that seems to act as the houses personal avatar (see DG)

yeah i wanted to know more about the dodgy suit of armour
:)

This post has been edited by Wily Tuchuk: 14 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

#9 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

It seems to me that one pretty much just doesn't die in a house of the Azath. If you're alive upon entry, you'll remain alive. And in some cases, just this "can't die while in there" thing make it so that your body can heal its wounds over long periods of time.

I'm probably wrong, but this generalization has worked for me so far.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#10 User is offline   Archeokat 

• Archeokat

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Confused me about Temper. I mean, what's his function? I mean, is he supposed to stop people going in or someone coming out? Because he did a rubbish job on the latter front in DG. still no clarity after NoN.

This post has been edited by D'ivers Lizardkat: 14 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

In NoK...

(SPOILERS if you havn't read it SPOILERS
UNBLOCKED KNIGHT OF KNIVES SPOILERS
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
NoK SPOILERS
BTW DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER SPOILERS)

...Temper took on the role of 'Guardian', which is a combination of protector, jailer and landlord.

It's a bit complicated...

As of TB, we've seen Gothos acting willingly as a Guardian back in DG... tho he didn't act to protect Tremolor, rather, the House did the vine labyrinth warren thing on its own...

We then saw Moby offered and accept the job also in DG. It seemed as tho the House itself offered him the job, altho the voice hinted at Gothos.

In MoI we saw Raest had been forced into a guardianship, likely because his own Finnest 'powered' Finnest House.

In NoK Jhenna seemed like she had taken the job willingly but couldn't leave. Also in NoK we saw the two Nameless Ones who seemed to be acting as guardians of a sort but who couldn't prevent Jhenna from breaking free. Curiously the Nameless Ones tell Temper to accept the Guardianship, but it's not clear whether they are offering it, or acknowledging that the House is offering it to him.

But the bottom line appears to be that an Azath House Guardian protects the House against threats, allows travellers to come and go as long as the House permits them, and works at keeping the inmates bound.

At the end of TB, it's Temper in his mismatched armour who steps out of Deadhouse and drags Kalam in. The suggestion is that he at least recognized a dying Malazan soldier, if not Kalam specifically, and chose to save him, or the House told him to.

There are a few more hints and pieces in latter books, but i think that's what you can conclude as of TB.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 October 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

In NoK...

(SPOILERS if you havn't read it SPOILERS
UNBLOCKED KNIGHT OF KNIVES SPOILERS
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
NoK SPOILERS
BTW DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER SPOILERS)

...Temper took on the role of 'Guardian', which is a combination of protector, jailer and landlord.

It's a bit complicated...

As of TB, we've seen Gothos acting willingly as a Guardian back in DG... tho he didn't act to protect Tremolor, rather, the House did the vine labyrinth warren thing on its own...

We then saw Moby offered and accept the job also in DG. It seemed as tho the House itself offered him the job, altho the voice hinted at Gothos.

In MoI we saw Raest had been forced into a guardianship, likely because his own Finnest 'powered' Finnest House.

In NoK Jhenna seemed like she had taken the job willingly but couldn't leave. Also in NoK we saw the two Nameless Ones who seemed to be acting as guardians of a sort but who couldn't prevent Jhenna from breaking free. Curiously the Nameless Ones tell Temper to accept the Guardianship, but it's not clear whether they are offering it, or acknowledging that the House is offering it to him.

But the bottom line appears to be that an Azath House Guardian protects the House against threats, allows travellers to come and go as long as the House permits them, and works at keeping the inmates bound.

At the end of TB, it's Temper in his mismatched armour who steps out of Deadhouse and drags Kalam in. The suggestion is that he at least recognized a dying Malazan soldier, if not Kalam specifically, and chose to save him, or the House told him to.

There are a few more hints and pieces in latter books, but i think that's what you can conclude as of TB.

Its Temper in the Deadhouse? I thought he came out of Coops because of the disturbances in the grounds caused by ST and Kalam. I thought Temper was protector of the grounds rather than the house itself in a similar way to Faro and that guy built like a toblakai.

This post has been edited by tiam: 25 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

#13 User is offline   Toc Beddict 

• Recruit

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

Nah, Temper wasn't in the Deadhouse., He came out of the tavern (Coops or Smileys, can't remember) and that made Shadowthrone run for it. Temper may have dragged Kalam in but it wasn't written or implied. Next we see of Temper is him having a drink with Bravan Tooth.

#14 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

*Spoilers*

Shadowthrone and his wraiths drag kalam to the gate at the yard

His wraiths help him drag kalam up to the door, Shadowthrone then knocks with his cane and runs back out to the gate and waits for the guardian to come open the door and drag kalam inside which he does.

Shadowthrone also gives kalams longknives to his wraiths to take back to shadowreal I asssume.

Temper comes out of Coop's as he is an unoffical guardian and can sense when things are happening in and around the house, he comes out and see ST and ST runs away since he knows Temper doesn't particularly care for him.

Temper is not the guardian, Gothos may or may not be the guardian, the guardians seem to be able to travel between houses if they like, as we see him in a weird azath tower in a later book in the middle of nowhere but I think Gothos was there when Fiddler and company use the azath in raraku to go to Malaz, as he mentions their failure in letting the house take his son Icarium.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users