Malazan Empire: Borderlands Series! - Malazan Empire

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Borderlands Series! All of the gun looting goodness...

#101 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Huzzah! found my first Legendary.

Level 14

Attached File  bl.jpg (10.08K)
Number of downloads: 0

It throws like a grenade to reload like all Tediores, except it fires while flying through the air and actually tracks enemies.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#102 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

View PostAptorius, on 24 September 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

This game really is about broken people.

Yes. I've only played the first one and all the DLCs, but this is exactly right. Every single person in this gameworld is broken - including you, the silent protagonist - and it becomes endearing as they find ways to live in spite of being broken. Some withdraw to become hermits and befriend mutants/aliens. Most stay in near-hermitage or mine for goodies so they can get by and/or get rich. Others go full "Blood for the Blood God" and get into arena fighting and whatnot. And the soldiers get religion through the military.

It's very much like the Portal series.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#103 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:01 AM

While the game is funny and crazy and doesn't take itself too seriously, I am not sure the material is suitable for a 5 year old. There are stories of rape, torture and grizzly death every where. The protagonist as well as his the allies and enemies kill each other with glee.

#104 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

DEFINITELY not a game for five-year-olds, but should certainly be fun for daddy :)
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#105 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostAptorius, on 25 September 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

While the game is funny and crazy and doesn't take itself too seriously, I am not sure the material is suitable for a 5 year old. There are stories of rape, torture and grizzly death every where. The protagonist as well as his the allies and enemies kill each other with glee.

Oh, bless you, Apt.

Attached File  bear_roar_medium.jpg (39.67K)
Number of downloads: 0

#106 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

No, no, I am sure there is a bear killing somebody in there in a bear like manner... surely.

#107 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

I think grizzly bears would do very well on Pandora. Maybe not the polar variety, but they'd jack the skags up pretty good and they do eat basically anything.

#108 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Still havent beat this game yet. Its hard when you're playing through 4 characters, depending on which friends come over to play.

I'm not gonna commit yet until i finish the main story at least once, but this might be my favorite game. It'll be hard to pass the original KOTOR, but its probably gonna happen.

#109 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

I think the game suffers from the shift from storyless action RPG to an attempt to be a story and character driven RPG shooter. It feels like it's trying but the guys that designed the story did either not have enough freedom or they just plain sucked. There's a lot of frustrating twists in the way they unfold the story in my opinion. Also there's a bunch of the later areas that I don't like very much (Screw you Eridium Blight).

In other news I recently learned about an exploit that allows me to cheese my way through the game if I so desire. The Gunzerkers dual wield ability has a bug that affects your damage output. If you equip a rocket launcer in your right hand and any random weapon with explosive damage in your left, then during gunzerker mode the left handed weapon will deal as much explosive damage as the rocket launcher. This means that when I equip a rocket launcher with 8000 damage, then my explosive assault riffle with high accuracy and output is dealing 8000 damage for every bullet I pump out. I tested it on a skag boss that I could hardly put a dent in. It went down in 5 seconds.

#110 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

There was a story in the first - not overtly shoved down your throat, but it was there. "The run of the mill bounty hunter levels up to become the Vault Opener on a very screwed up alien planet." The big bosses and DLCs even had their own mini-stories.

#111 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostAptorius, on 29 September 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

I think the game suffers from the shift from storyless action RPG to an attempt to be a story and character driven RPG shooter. It feels like it's trying but the guys that designed the story did either not have enough freedom or they just plain sucked. There's a lot of frustrating twists in the way they unfold the story in my opinion. Also there's a bunch of the later areas that I don't like very much (Screw you Eridium Blight).

In other news I recently learned about an exploit that allows me to cheese my way through the game if I so desire. The Gunzerkers dual wield ability has a bug that affects your damage output. If you equip a rocket launcer in your right hand and any random weapon with explosive damage in your left, then during gunzerker mode the left handed weapon will deal as much explosive damage as the rocket launcher. This means that when I equip a rocket launcher with 8000 damage, then my explosive assault riffle with high accuracy and output is dealing 8000 damage for every bullet I pump out. I tested it on a skag boss that I could hardly put a dent in. It went down in 5 seconds.

Area-wise, I already detest the Thresher/little blink-invisibility buggers and, therefore, their entire area. To be randomly mobbed by a Badass Fire Thresher is no fun at all when your build is quite Fire orientated (whine whine whine whine on and equip Slag, Tapper).
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#112 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

View Postamphibian, on 29 September 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

There was a story in the first - not overtly shoved down your throat, but it was there. "The run of the mill bounty hunter levels up to become the Vault Opener on a very screwed up alien planet." The big bosses and DLCs even had their own mini-stories.

Yeah, I recall. What bothers me though I think, is that the effort seems half-ass'ed. Either tell a proper character driven story or don't bother. Maybe its just the generic voiceless character that you play that is getting old to me but it seems strange to me that they seem to achknowledge that the first four characters had no story, so they add one in the sequel, but then don't bother giving the sequels characters a story. And no, those stupid echo recordings left here and there are not enough to flesh them out. I'm also somewhat disappointed that they haven't added any aliens or alien technology to this game. The alien encounters, along with the Crimson Guard fights, were my favorite in the first game.

On another note. How often are you people finding E-tech weapons? I encountered one during that first mission from Zed and I don't think I've seen a proper e-type weapon since.

EDIT: Also just found out you can't hold more than 99 eridium bars. Sort of annoying. I wish I could put them in the shared bank for the other characters.

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 30 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

#113 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

@ Apt: Found 1 electric Eridium sniper rifle so far, but it had a fairly high recoil and due to the low bullet speed, it was kind of shitty after the first shot.

Regarding the backstory: I don't really mind the lack of it, and what little there is, doesn't really suit the game so much. The tablets that give peeks in the lives of certain NPCs/ random people are well done, because they are so short. Backfires on yourself, really.

Just got my first legendary, Jakob sniper rifle with an insane +crit damage % bonus, but otherwise not truly remarkable. Also, was Bloodwing the easiest boss ever in terms of avoiding getting hit or was I extraordinarily lucky?
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#114 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Finished the game earlier. Then ran back and killed the end boss one more time to see if I got some better loot.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 30 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

#115 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Aptorius said:

1349018375[/url]' post='998086']
Finished the game earlier. Then ran back and killed the end boss one more time to see if I got some better
Spoiler

You sure you're a Malazan fan? Posted Image

I just must expect different things than you. I don't care that the story isn't that great, it didn't bother me in the first either. I always value enjoyable gameplay over a story. And tbh i dont expect it in BLI love the gameplay, the comedy and the endless search for a better gun.

#116 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Holy shitballs, this game is awesome. I'm having so much fun, though I'm level 20 and haven't yet found any Legendary weapons. Haven't seen Michael yet either, and I was looking in all the places he's supposed to spawn.
Spoiler

Originally started as Siren, but then my save glitched and I was predominantly using sniper rifles so I decided to go Assassin the second go around. I quite like the Deception skill, but I prefer Phaselock, and it's way cooler than the Phasewalk from the first game. Gonna have a go at Commando and Gunzerker when I finish the game.

I quite like the story personally, but neither do I think it's all that much of a step up from the first game. They could do better, yes, and Apt raises some good points in his last post, but honestly? I'm not playing this game for the story. Normally the lack of it would bother me, like it did in Far Cry 2, but I think the comedy makes up for it. It's only in Rockstar games previously that I've actually laughed out loud, but I've done so several times while playing this game.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#117 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Regarding your spoiler. All bosses have a certain legendary they have a higher rate of dropping, but it's still low and not a guaranteed drop.

#118 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Yeah I figured as much.

After finishing a trek through the Caustic Caverns, threshers are hands down the most annoying enemy I've ever faced.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#119 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Cracked.com article about Borderlands 2.

http://www.cracked.c...a_ibsrc=fanpage

#120 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Also, an fyi to anyone who cares. If you follow Gearbox on Twitter. They randomly tweet codes you can put in in the Extras section on your main game page. It gives you a gold key so you can open the gold chest in sanctuary. Its alway a purple item and is your level.

They're going to tweet 5-6 in the next couple days. :)

Stay classy Malazans.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users