• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forkrul Assail-question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

I've checked most of the topics until page 5 which seemed to cover FA-stuff, but I didn't read anything to solve this mystery for me.

If I remember correctly, FA used to be imprisoned beneath wards and big stones like Calm and that FA in Lether because they were too powerful to destroy. It has been a while since I read HoC but I think it was mentioned even Icarium couldn't kill Calm so he helped imprison her. Yet, at the end of tCG they fall like flies and the only ones who had difficulties facing them were the 6 TI from the CG.

Seems a bit inconsistent to me, or am I wrong?

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

Icarium in a rage probably could have. If you remember, he was sane enough to know what he was doing in protecting the Toblakai bloodlines and to write down the passage. It's possible he hadn't wounded that Azath yet to make him crazy-powerhouse of chaos rage when he imprisoned Calm.

So, two possible interpretations of that.

As for the other "Pures," I think it could be argued they all fell to powerhouses as well.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

Also Calm was imprisoned,instead of killed, so that the T'lann Imass could feed on her power.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

Calm was being drained by the Imass, and Serenity, i believe, had been locked up by humans, which was probably the best they could do. In TCG, none of them died easy.... Iirc, Hood took out two by eating their heads or beating the crap out of them, Brys name-dropped one, Badalle called on the frikkin dead FA god to take out another, Kalam and QB together took one, the Rock-faces and Gall all died to take one out, and Ublala dragon-bone mace smashed Calm after Mappo softened her up slightly. I may have missed one or two, but all of those took some major effort to make happen.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

View PostRhand, on 18 July 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

I've checked most of the topics until page 5 which seemed to cover FA-stuff, but I didn't read anything to solve this mystery for me.

If I remember correctly, FA used to be imprisoned beneath wards and big stones like Calm and that FA in Lether because they were too powerful to destroy. It has been a while since I read HoC but I think it was mentioned even Icarium couldn't kill Calm so he helped imprison her. Yet, at the end of tCG they fall like flies and the only ones who had difficulties facing them were the 6 TI from the CG.

Seems a bit inconsistent to me, or am I wrong?

Eh. Arguably the people the FA were up against were the most powerful beings of the age, who had shown no quarter when dealing with a variety of other ancients throughout the series.
The world had changed and sheer brute power was no longer top dog.
Though, it is still pretty amazingly badass, lol.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

Alot of the FA were surprised aswell. If they were full on fighting rather been dropped then it would have been more difficult. Theres a similar moment with the CGRD and the Primogenatrix or whatever he was called. The feasting on the power for Tellan is probably the main reason.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

I agree with all the explanations, but I also wish there would have been a scene or two more of an FA wreaking absolute havoc with humans, if only for the contrast and a reminder of their prowess.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

Agreed. I understand the FA fulfilled the role SE wanted to them tofill such as with Brys unleashing his gods and Hood being the greatest thing in all literature. But I think a Serenity style destruction of 3 skilled soldiers is the best example of prowess weve seen. This is similar to the hounds of shadow killing 219 cavalrymen without taking a hit in the earlier seasons yet dealt with by fairly mundane methods later on.

Essentially the FA need a good scene, like the bone stairs

#9 User is offline   Daemonwolf 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

I always had the feeling that what set FA apart in combat was pretty much just the fluidity they possesed stemming from the extra joins, that gave them more control of their movements. Which makes them seem really badass in a fight unless you understand their fighting style. At which point they aren't any more difficult to kill than anyone else really.

just my two cents...
You dream that with memories will come knowledge, and from knowledge, understanding. But for every answer you find, a thousand questions arise.

Deadhouse Gates, Steven Erikson

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

That's only part of it though. They can deal death, it seems, with the relative equivalent effort we use to push an elevator button.

#11 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:33 PM

View Postworrywort, on 18 July 2011 - 10:22 PM, said:

That's only part of it though. They can deal death, it seems, with the relative equivalent effort we use to push an elevator button.

indeed, their fighting style, combined with their potential for fatal strikes would make it incredibly difficult to kill them without having the element of surprise. even then, as we see with the Unbound, they'll still tear your shit up. luckily for Brys, QB-Kalam, and Badalle they never had to actually fight the FA, just surprise and overwhelm them. Ublala gets a pass for wielding a dragon-smashing mace.

someone ought to do a picture of ublala beaning calm with the caption "Dragon-smashing mace OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE!"

edit: forgot that kalam did trade a few blows with one of them, and nearly died, saved only by the wolves champion. i think the point still stands.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 18 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#12 User is offline   Daemonwolf 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

the malazan wiki states

The Forkrul Assail were humanoid, although taller and thinner than humans, possess more joints in their limbs and hands, a jointed sternum, large, solid black eyes and blue blood rather than red. They were physically far more robust than humans, and appeared to be virtually un-killable through conventional means, healing from cuts and blows extremely quickly. They also possessed incredible strength, speed and agility, and were able to successfully combat several powerful opponents at once while sustaining only minor wounds. In addition, they had preternatural longevity and could live for millennia without food or water.

I've really got to get the time to finish re-reading it all again. With that in mind, I now see where the question comes from on their seemingly simple deaths. I guess the only real saving grace argument to be made would be the "appeared to be virtually unkillable through CONVENTIONAL means." Far as I remember (though I'm a little hazy) none of them really died to 'conventional' means. An otataral long knife and another long knife going through both hearts, of an arrogant FA, isnt really conventional. Same could be said Hood biting the face off of an unawares FA then breaking it in half, or Hood bludgeoning another one to death, with its own body no less. Another had the name of his god shoved down his throat per se....

just my two cents...

You dream that with memories will come knowledge, and from knowledge, understanding. But for every answer you find, a thousand questions arise.

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

How many cents do you have???

Anyway, I don't really have any problem with what happened to them. It all makes sense to me. I just don't like what didn't happen to them; in other words, I'd like to have seen them more in action and I'd like to have seen some of their wins before the tide turned and the sides evened out. We can infer plenty, and I don't think they were nerfed, but I do think too much was left off screen or left to memorable scenes from the earlier books.

#14 User is offline   Daemonwolf 

• Lieutenant

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:04 AM

@worrywort - using pennies I found in the walmart parking lot....

On topic - fully understandable, we never did get to hear about the FA badassery in much detail. Oh well, the series was epic none the less.

Just my two cents...

#15 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

View Postworrywort, on 18 July 2011 - 11:14 PM, said:

How many cents do you have???

Anyway, I don't really have any problem with what happened to them. It all makes sense to me. I just don't like what didn't happen to them; in other words, I'd like to have seen them more in action and I'd like to have seen some of their wins before the tide turned and the sides evened out. We can infer plenty, and I don't think they were nerfed, but I do think too much was left off screen or left to memorable scenes from the earlier books.

Well, both Calm and that other FA tore through T'lann Imass as if they weren't even there and Calm killed Mappo, a guy who broke Dejim Nebrahl's necks as if they were twigs and survived a near fatal fall, with one hit.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Yah, I was thinking about Mappo too even when I made that post, but I think that stuff comes at the end of the book...and Calm is one of the last to go out. I'm trying not veer too far towards blurting out big ideas that amount to fan fiction, or being a serial complainer; I'm just saying since we did get FA POVs, and since they weren't mysterious wraiths in the distance, we could have got some early scenes of their physical prowess as a neat reminder and the good kind of fan service (which SE mostly excelled at in this book). I still think it makes sense what happened, in terms of them relying way too much on their oncoming Warren and their simple arrogance blinding them, but for what went missing I'd give these guys like a B as baddies instead of the A+ they coulda turned out.

#17 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

Well, IMO SE counts on earlier books - Calm vs three Teblors, MT - iirc FA vs two demon princes? But yeah, one part FA ripping through Grey Helms would be sexy...or Letherii...but not Barghast, I wouldnt like that...;)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#18 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

I think a really good fight scene showing the capabilities of the FA in both healing and fighting is necessary now. They sort of fall foul of the main characters 'special moves' as someone put it a while back like Brys and Paran. A good FA battle would be good with them jumping and fighting dragons or something. Weve seen every other race take names bar the FA

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

Arguably one of the few flaws in the series is that the FA as primary antagonists only really appear in the dead last book.

Calm and Serenity of course appear earlier, basically as random encounters for other characters, and from TB on we have a sense that Tavore is moving the Bonehunters towards something specific, but ultimately they are absent from the book up until the end and it limits their effectiveness somewhat, especially since the CG, the dude it turns out the 14th was going to rescue, was the primary antagonist for more or less every other book. And of course, when we finally see the FA in detail in TCG, they are underdevelopped and at points verge on caricature... "Kill them all."

As a historical element re-emerging, they do work and in the context of the bigger themes of the books their role makes sense, but we could have done with a wee bit more to make some of the best parts of TCG a bit better.

That said, none of them went out easy and we saw pretty clearly how badass they can be.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 July 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

Arguably one of the few flaws in the series is that the FA as primary antagonists only really appear in the dead last book.

Calm and Serenity of course appear earlier, basically as random encounters for other characters, and from TB on we have a sense that Tavore is moving the Bonehunters towards something specific, but ultimately they are absent from the book up until the end and it limits their effectiveness somewhat, especially since the CG, the dude it turns out the 14th was going to rescue, was the primary antagonist for more or less every other book. And of course, when we finally see the FA in detail in TCG, they are underdevelopped and at points verge on caricature... "Kill them all."

As a historical element re-emerging, they do work and in the context of the bigger themes of the books their role makes sense, but we could have done with a wee bit more to make some of the best parts of TCG a bit better.

That said, none of them went out easy and we saw pretty clearly how badass they can be.

There's 2 on Blind Gallan's road in DoD, too, but they seem like random encounters at the time, too.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users