• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Gifts, WANT SCIENCE! time to come out of the closet geeks

#41 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

In what context? String theory?
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#42 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

Well, in the context of what the video described. I don't believe it's string theory, since that posits several more dimensions, right? The video describes the mathematical possibility that existence runs along one dimension but appears 3D because the dimension is bunched up like a pile of yarn.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#43 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

I think 2D is implicit, but he skips to 3D because that's what our perception informs us is reality, and so that's what the mathematicians were trying to explain. with their theory. It's possible that 2D would be trickier because of the necessity to avoid crossovers.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

You're welcome. ;)

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#45 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

These guys wish they were Carl Sagan.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

View PostAdjutant Stormy, on 15 September 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

These guys wish they were Carl Sagan.

BTW Stormy, I just read through DRESDEN CODAK for the first time. GREAT stuff there!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

Fire

#48 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

Bobby McFerrin hacks your brain with the pentatonic scale

#49 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

The Ig Nobels were awarded at Harvard. One of the winners was a wasabi-squirting fire alarm system for the deaf, another research which examines if people who need to visit the bathroom rather badly are better at decisionmaking.

Article here:
http://www.guardian....-ig-nobel-prize
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#50 User is offline   majomull 

• Gallowglass

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

"She's blinding me- with Science!" Thank you Thomas Dolby.
Glittering Stone

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

http://io9.com/58451...nts-of-all-time

Saying goodbye to Fermilab's Tevatron which has been responsible for great physics discoveries since 1983 (located in Batavia Illinois). Closing because it is defunct next the faster, more able Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Switzerland. Still, nice to remember.

Posted Image

#52 User is offline   majomull 

• Gallowglass

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

There has to be a way to rent those places out as amusement parks.
Glittering Stone

#53 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

My opinion is that they should really just mothball the facility or put it into semi-retirement - so that it can be restarted fairly rapidly if the scientific community needs more beam-time (since it's really hard to get any at CERN, beam-time is booked for years ahead of time already).

This post has been edited by Adjutant Stormy: 30 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

bla bla bla

#54 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

An interesting counter-opinion to scientific theory.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#55 User is offline   Lizradusa 

• A Flare Unholiest
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image 'Tired of Wasting Time, Let LizInc organize your lazyness!' - Obdigore Posted Image

#56 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

View Postworrywort, on 30 September 2011 - 11:31 PM, said:

An interesting counter-opinion to scientific theory.

Man this guy needs a lesson on the anthropic principle.

bla bla bla

#57 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:04 AM

For those of you (like me) who had trouble grasping how FTL communications can violate causality I give you:

Do faster than light neutrinos let you change the past?
There's been a lot of hubbub about the possibility of FTL neutrinos. But would breaking the light barrier really be such a big deal? Hell, yes, it would! In this week's "Ask a Physicist," we'll find out why.
While I normally try to vary topics from column to column based on the questions you send me, we're going to continue the discussion from my last on column on faster-than-light technology.

Why the change? A few weeks back the OPERA experiment announced that they had apparently measured neutrinos traveling faster than light. There was an enormous amount of excitement, both here and elsewhere, but also a lot of skepticism. My position: I'm not buying it.

But are faster than light particles really such a big deal?

They sure are. FTL communication results in nothing less than being able to communicate to the past, and produces all of the complexity and paradoxes of good old fashioned time travel.

Jason Honan asks:

Even if the communication took place instantaneously, I don't see how one would use that to communicate with one's own past. Can you explain it in plain English?

Specifically, Alice and Bob want to chat, Bob sends a message and N seconds later, Alice sends a reply. Even if the transit time for the message were zero, N seconds have still elapsed for both individuals. How does a superluminal transit speed equate to negative elapsed time? Wouldn't, at best, a message have a zero delay?"

This column's going to be a bit different than the normal "Ask a Physicist" fare. While it's not going to use equations per se, I will put in a few diagrams. However, if you really want some equations, a more technical version of this discussion appears in my blog.

A Simple Tachyon Telephone

Suppose we've managed to develop a beam that travels across vast distances at faster than the speed of light. On the surface, this is exactly the result announced by the OPERA experiment, since neutrinos are so weakly interacting that they can easily travel interstellar distances without interacting with anything.

While the OPERA measurement only suggested that the neutrinos traveled at something like 2 parts in 100,000 faster than the speed of light, but basically, once the light barrier is broken, then it's only a matter of fine tuning to get any superluminal speed we like. For our purposes, I'm going to suppose we have a tachyon telephone which sends signals at 4 times the speed of light. (Again, I do not believe that the OPERA result will pan out. I just wanted to make that clear).

Jason and I stand 1 light-second from one another, and send each other messages. Normally, light would take 1 second to travel that distance (by definition), but since we're using our tachyon beam, the signal gets sent in only a quarter of a second.

In a so-called "spacetime diagram", a snippet of our conversation would look like this.

The bold lines show where Jason and I are at any given time. Since we're standing still, we move through time, but not through space. The diagram tells a very boring story:

I send Jason a message.
He receives it and sends me a signal back
I receive his message.

Posted Image

And what do you know? Jason was exactly right! I get his response after I send my original message.

But once we start moving, things get far more interesting.

Moving transmitters

Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity is based on two fairly simple assumptions:

There's absolutely no distinction between somebody moving at a constant speed and direction, and somebody standing still.
Everybody will measure the same speed of light, regardless of their state of motion.

The problem is that for both of these things to be true, measurements of time and space are very strongly related to your state of motion. We go through this with hobos in Chapter 1 of the "User's Guide to the Universe,", but the upshot is this:
Moving clocks always seem to run slow.

Under normal circumstances, this isn't a big deal. A car races by you on the highway at 100 mph, for example, and the dashboard clock only seems to run slow and the driver ages more slowly than you do — but only by about 1 part in 10^14. Even if he drives around for a hundred years, this only adds up to a delayed aging of about 30 microseconds.

But if we're traveling a good fraction of the speed of light, things become very different. This is the origin of the "twin paradox," where one twin stays on earth, and the other goes on an interstellar adventure. When the traveling twin returns, she finds that she's aged far less than the stay-at-home twin. But since she's been exposed to tons of dangerous cosmic rays, her youthful good looks are something of a Pyrrhic victory.

It turns out, though, that we'll be able to exploit different local clocks to make a phone call — (cue dramatic music) to the past!

An Anti-telephone

So here's the trick: Suppose we're flying away from each other at half the speed of light, and, just to make things concrete, he and I can send tachyon beams to one another with virtually infinite speed. If you'd like to see what happens if the signal is just faster than light rather than infinitely fast, please check out the equation-ridden version.

Jason and I fly past each other in our spaceships and 1 1/2 seconds later (a time chosen to make the diagram look nice), I send him a message.

Here's the weird part. Even though 1.5 seconds have elapsed on my clock since Jason and I passed one another, because of this whole "time dilation" thing, only about 1.3 seconds elapsed for him.

In and of itself, this isn't such a big deal. After all, if Jason sent me a communique by conventional means — radio signals, perhaps — I'd still get it after I sent him my original message.

Posted Image

However, once we look at things from Jason's perspective, they start to look seriously messed up.

Remember that Einstein tells us that there's no way to tell who's standing still and who's moving. Just as I think Jason's clocks are running slow, he thinks he's standing still, I'm flying to the left, and that my clocks are running slow. Yes. This is one of the many crazy headaches that come from relativity.

From Jason's perspective, the 1 1/2 seconds that passed before I sent my first signal is more like 1.7 seconds. In other words, I sent the signal before he received it.

Posted Image

Jason then sends me a response. It could be something as simple as, "Don't call me!" He transmits it instantaneously back to me.

Posted Image

From my perspective, I get his response before I ever sent out my original message and, if I'm not a huge fan of causality, presumably could preclude me calling him in the first place. In other words, we've got a serious paradox on our hands.

Posted Image

This is nuts! The simple ability to send signals faster than light would allow us, in a very real way, to affect the past. And that my friends, is why the prospect of faster than light neutrinos (or anything else for that matter) would be such a world-changing discovery.

Dave Goldberg is the author, with Jeff Blomquist, of "A User's Guide to the Universe: Surviving the Perils of Black Holes, Time Paradoxes, and Quantum Uncertainty." (follow us on twitter, facebook, twitter or our blog.) He is an Associate Professor of Physics at Drexel University and is currently working on a new book on symmetry. Feel free to send email to askaphysicist@io9.com with any questions about the universe.

Source : http://io9.com/58465...change-the-past
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#58 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

#59 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

View PostGaystadFlourishHammer, on 15 October 2011 - 02:10 AM, said:

That is many different kinds of awesome!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#60 User is offline   Lizradusa 

• A Flare Unholiest
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image 'Tired of Wasting Time, Let LizInc organize your lazyness!' - Obdigore Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users