• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 11 July 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 11 July 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 11 July 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 July 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Holy harbinger of the end times Batman! My local newspaper had an article about a total solar eclipse happening next month. I was unaware of this.

This is the coverage map for the United States.

spoiler'd for size
Spoiler

It is also the time that the tenth planet will line up with the other 9 and bring forth the dark god cthulhu.

Rejoice for all humanity will become but a feast for his worship.

CASE NIGHTMARE PURPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE

Don't you mean Green?

Or is Green reserved for when it happens to the UK?

....there's a dick joke here somewhere....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#182 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

Why do you have to drag poor mr Cheney into every thread?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#183 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

View PostGorefest, on 11 July 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Why do you have to drag poor mr Cheney into every thread?

He shot is "friend" in the face.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#184 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

I'm really excited about this. I'm not right in the full darkzone, but it'll be really close. I can't wait!

Funny story though, there are tons of tiny Oregon towns getting flooded with people coming in for this, and they don't have the infrastructure in place to absorb them all. I almost feel bad for them.

#185 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

View PostJPK, on 11 July 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

I'm really excited about this. I'm not right in the full darkzone, but it'll be really close. I can't wait!

Funny story though, there are tons of tiny Oregon towns getting flooded with people coming in for this, and they don't have the infrastructure in place to absorb them all. I almost feel bad for them.

Same here. Very close to total eclipse path.

Are you aware of any devise to use to view it directly other then that ghetto pinhole and paper trick? I would really like to maybe purchase something (that doesn't break the bank of course) that allows me to look directly at it.

#186 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:11 AM

Any celestial events today? I swear this day has been fucked up royally, starting with my rear bike tire going suddenly (very) flat and ending with a rotted, mold filled peach pit in the fruit I was partaking of tonight. The middle of the day wasn't much better.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#187 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:17 AM

You have the most fitting screen name on the board, GH.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#188 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:22 AM

I searched and found some glasses that might serve. But if any of you astronomy geeks have any suggestions, I'm open. Hit me with your ideas.

#189 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 July 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

Are you aware of any devise to use to view it directly other then that ghetto pinhole and paper trick? I would really like to maybe purchase something (that doesn't break the bank of course) that allows me to look directly at it.

The dark glass used in welding masks works fine. Spares bits are pretty easy to get hold of so no need to buy a mask if you don't have one already.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#190 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

If you happen to work in a life sciences environment, X-ray photo's or overdeveloped X-ray film sheets (western blot developing in dark rooms or automated developers) work a treat as well.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#191 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostMessremb, on 12 July 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 July 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

The dark glass used in welding masks works fine. Spares bits are pretty easy to get hold of so no need to buy a mask if you don't have one already.

I splurged and got this.
Posted Image

We are 4 hours from the totality zone so are going to make the trip! We are ready to rock this shit.

#192 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

Guys! That was flippin amazing! We got back an hour ago and my mouth is still agape at what I experienced. I've never experienced anything like it. If any of you U.S. malazanites were within a day's drive of eclipse totality, you should have made that drive. I'm telling ya, flippin A, it was so much epic awesome sauce!

Pictures and videos does not do it justice, you have to be there in person to be elevated to higher level of consciousness and awareness that we are but just specks of dust on a speck of dust, somewhere in a desert of specks of dust.

So, when totality hits, it's more then visual. It gets real quiet, the temperature noticeably gets cooler, and it gets flippin dark! I'm not talking "oh, did a cloud just pass and give us some pleasant shade dark?", but flipping need flash lights, car headlights, crickets begin to chirp dark! (at around noon to boot!) And it all gives you this eerie feeling and chills. And looking at the sun during totality, to see the diamond ring effect live with your own eyes. It can't put into words. And we got just over 2 minuets of totality where I viewed it! woop! woop!

Man, if you guys can catch one of these in person, it's soooooooo worth it!

What a perfect day, probably never to be duplicated by me again (sorry if I'm gloating guys Posted Image)

#193 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

Some other little tidbits that made the day epic.

- It was a perfect day, nothing but blue sky and no clouds

- During totality, could see other stars/planets in the sky.

- There was a father and teen aged son next to us and we were talking to them. When the moment of totality ended and it started getting lighter, I said to the boy: "beats Xbox or Playstation any day doesn't it?". He agreed.Posted Image

- When we were leaving police directed us away from the main interstate and told us to follow cars that took us on back county roads past farm houses and farmland. On a dusty cross road there was a farm boy with the tin foil alien repel hat on waving to cars as they passed. That was so neat.

Other then the traffic, what a prefect day and a once in a life time experience. Posted Image

#194 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

And what a great day for 'yo momma' jokes too.

#195 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:02 AM

A week+ later my mouth is still agape at what I experienced. So I looked up when the next total solar eclipse in the US is.

Awwww man, it's not until 2024 and I am no where near the totality zone where I am currently living. What a bummer. Maybe things will change in the next 7 years and I'll find myself near the totality zone. I must make it so! It's an experience that transcends description.

#196 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:29 AM

Sounds totality awesome!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#197 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 August 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

Awwww man, it's not until 2024 and I am no where near the totality zone where I am currently living. What a bummer. Maybe things will change in the next 7 years and I'll find myself near the totality zone. I must make it so! It's an experience that transcends description.

2024 is the future though, so you can probably just teleport to a convenient viewing location by then.

#198 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostGorefest, on 30 August 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 August 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

2024 is the future though, so you can probably just teleport to a convenient viewing location by then.

Yah, true. But if teleportation is a thing then, I'm guessing it will be relatively new and so that experience would make a solar eclipse seem dull.

#199 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking. The very epitome of "shoulders of giants".

#200 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:13 AM

Pigeons, meet cat:

https://www.scienced...40320101110.htm

The desired traits seem a little subjective. When you're setting the measure, you can almost be assured of a certain result.

Is there a way to make it more objective though?

My purely anectotal experience tends to be around the 50-50 mark though. While overall I've had fewer female bosses, I'd say I had good ones (ie using the measure "that I would work for again") about half the time - same as the males, pretty much.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 April 2018 - 05:18 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users