• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why the Fuuuu

#21 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:22 AM

Plus it's obviously a goofy but (IMO) hilarious joke about fantasy & sci-fi names with obnoxious apostrophes/glottal stops.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#22 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 March 2024 - 02:48 AM

Thread necro!

The peak for me was all the Generic Magic Chicks in Wheel of Time. I don't think RJ himself kept them all straight - even those who only appeared once, and off-screen - and he apparently had this full on card index system or suchlike.
Spawling casts of zillions tend to get away from their authors, kind of like a runaway cart downhill after it slips from the fingers. Continuing the awkward metaphors, they eventually snowball and cause even more damage when they get to the bottom.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 30 March 2024 - 02:49 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#23 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 30 March 2024 - 12:31 PM

For me, the worst will always be Dim, Dim, Dim, and Dim (a Crimson Guardsman, a Malazan soldier, a sailor on the Striker, and a city in Stygg, respectively).

Then there's Bered and Bursa in Forge of Darkness. Not exactly similar, but confusing enough that Erikson himself mistakenly referred to Bered as "Bursa" throughout Fall of Light.

This post has been edited by ArchieVist: 30 March 2024 - 12:35 PM

#24 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 30 March 2024 - 03:56 PM

Another recent good one is Elade. Could be a ferocious male Teblor warleader from The God is Not Willing, or it could be Widdershins' mother.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users