Malazan Empire: Why the Fuuuu - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why the Fuuuu

#1 User is offline   Usain "Quick Ben" Bolt 

  • Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 14-January 11

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:07 AM

Why did Steven Erikson have to name a character in this book Buruk the Pale, while in other books there is a character name Baruk. I was too lazy to go and check until i was done the book but due to the style of Steven I am always try to guess connections and I was waiting to be told it was the same person. Why such close names?!?!
0

#2 User is offline   Kanese S's 

  • TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars
  • Posts: 1,947
  • Joined: 26-April 11

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Probably just to mess with you.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.
0

#3 User is offline   MTS 

  • Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,334
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Terra Australis

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

It's not like it's uncommon. As well as that one there's Rell/Rel, Skinner/Shimmer, Lim Tal/Councilman Lim, Lean/Leal, Coil/Cowl, Banath/Beneth/Beneth, Orlat/Korlat, Chord/Cord, Trench/Trenech, Dim/Dim, Quint/Squint...there's plenty more but I believe my point has been made. ICE seems particularly guilty of it, featuring in all of those examples. I think there's even two Shards and two Faros as well as a Mane and a Greymane...

This post has been edited by MTS: 11 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.
0

#4 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

  • Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 1,487
  • Joined: 19-May 11
  • Location:Northern Hemisphere
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostMTS, on 11 July 2011 - 06:30 AM, said:

It's not like it's uncommon. As well as that one there's Rell/Rel, Skinner/Shimmer, Lim Tal/Councilman Lim, Lean/Leal, Coil/Cowl, Banath/Beneth/Beneth, Orlat/Korlat, Chord/Cord, Trench/Trenech, Dim/Dim, Quint/Squint...there's plenty more but I believe my point has been made. ICE seems particularly guilty of it, featuring in all of those examples. I think there's even two Shards and two Faros as well as a Mane and a Greymane...


Careful. Coil and Cowl are different characters! ;)
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

0

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 21,818
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

Mock/Mok/Toc/Nok.

'nuff said. ;)

Altho Shul and Shool over in SW took the cake.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT
0

#6 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

  • Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 1,859
  • Joined: 15-March 08
  • Location:Italy
  • Not much

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

and of course Pearl/Pearl beats them all. Especially if we add Bluepearl.

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 11 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos
0

#7 User is offline   Seatiger 

  • Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 83
  • Joined: 08-June 11

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

OMG thats so great I was gonna ask about the Pearl/Pearl thing since I just got done reading that in TTH a few pages back was confusing as all @#$%^
Take me as a knife and I will turn in your hand. I swear it.
0

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

  • Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,851
  • Joined: 14-July 07
  • Location:The C-Hood

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

View PostAbyss, on 11 July 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

Mock/Mok/Toc/Nok.

'nuff said. ;)

Altho Shul and Shool over in SW took the cake.


those two were kinda 'huh?' but then i just started pronouncing 'Shul' the way it's spelt and got on with my life :p

i don't worry to much about name repeats; since i have to distinguish between about 7 amy's and 10 john's in my real life, i figure, if SE and ICE think that certain phoneme configurations should be common in their world, that's their prerogative. especially since pearl/pearl are just amazing characters.

what i do like, on the other hand, is names crossing from one author to another. came up a couple times in Way of Kings. cenn (boy soldier in WoK) and cenn (buie, you know him). then there's one that's kind of funny to me: shen (a parshmen bridgeman in WoK) and shen (from Cook's The Silver Spike). one is literally emotionless and barely cognizant, the other is a jumpy small-time crook who learns how to hang with the big-boys. when raven describes the way shen offed his cousin near the end, i just howl.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 12 July 2011 - 02:40 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant
0

#9 User is offline   MTS 

  • Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,334
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Terra Australis

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 12 July 2011 - 02:30 AM, said:

what i do like, on the other hand, is names crossing from one author to another. came up a couple times in Way of Kings. cenn (boy soldier in WoK) and cenn (buie, you know him). then there's one that's kind of funny to me: shen (a parshmen bridgeman in WoK) and shen (from Cook's The Silver Spike). one is literally emotionless and barely cognizant, the other is a jumpy small-time crook who learns how to hang with the big-boys. when raven describes the way shen offed his cousin near the end, i just howl.

Don't forget ROTCG's Shen.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.
0

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

  • Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,851
  • Joined: 14-July 07
  • Location:The C-Hood

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:34 AM

View PostMTS, on 12 July 2011 - 07:52 AM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 12 July 2011 - 02:30 AM, said:

what i do like, on the other hand, is names crossing from one author to another. came up a couple times in Way of Kings. cenn (boy soldier in WoK) and cenn (buie, you know him). then there's one that's kind of funny to me: shen (a parshmen bridgeman in WoK) and shen (from Cook's The Silver Spike). one is literally emotionless and barely cognizant, the other is a jumpy small-time crook who learns how to hang with the big-boys. when raven describes the way shen offed his cousin near the end, i just howl.

Don't forget ROTCG's Shen.

agh! too many shen's! maybe they're all the same guy? like hoid, but with different authors. a literary tape worm.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant
0

#11 User is offline   D'iversify 

  • First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 647
  • Joined: 07-October 10

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

I think the problem lies in the fact that mono- and bisyllabic names are pretty common in real world terms, and also that in the West the regional variations of a few Christian and pre-Christian names are fairly dominant (e.g. Peter, Pedro, Pyotr), so there's quite a lot of samey names about. So it makes sense to have quite a few in your fantasy world (unless yours is a world where everyone's got names that translate as something like 'He-who-fishes-on-the-right-bank-of-the-great-salmon-lake-and-is-beloved-of-the-marmot-god'). But then when you have massive casts, the temptation to be rather unimaginative can set in, and thus you get character lists in which a quarter of the people on them are some variation of Rell, Mell or Bell.
I am the Onyx Wizards
0

#12 User is offline   Scerakor 

  • Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 22-April 13

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Another one that got me in MT was Wither/Withal.
0

#13 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

  • Magi House 94
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 110
  • Joined: 24-November 12
  • Location:Surrey

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I know many Daves, Mikes, Bills and Wills, Stevens and Stephens. Jons and Johns. The list goes on.
I don't have time to consider things I have to consider.
1

#14 User is offline   tiam 

  • Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars
  • Posts: 3,948
  • Joined: 26-January 06

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Also there are continental names. Like Beneth in Skullcap is Korelri and when we get to Korel we get another character named Beneth.
1

#15 User is offline   Kanese S's 

  • TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars
  • Posts: 1,947
  • Joined: 26-April 11

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Might just be the "John" or "Bob" of that language.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.
0

#16 User is offline   Jagh-o-matic 

  • Tenescowri
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 23-April 13
  • Location:Sonoma

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Wither/Withal + Wyval was pretty horrendous on the first read.

No one has yet mentioned my personal favorite, however:

Kenryllah
Kenyllrah

(pretentious apostrophes omitted)
What?
0

#17 User is offline   K'chain Paladin 

  • Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 28-September 14

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:56 AM

View PostJagh-o-matic, on 04 June 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

Wither/Withal + Wyval was pretty horrendous on the first read.

No one has yet mentioned my personal favorite, however:

Kenryllah
Kenyllrah

(pretentious apostrophes omitted)


Dear Lord the demon names are the absolute worst.
0

#18 User is offline   Egwene 

  • Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 793
  • Joined: 09-July 08

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

I am just glad that overall the names are pronounceable - even if only in my head!

Rather than calling repeat of names unimaginative, I think it's authors taking it easy. After all, if you have ten characters by the name of John and fifteen with the name Smith... how on earth do you keep track on who said what to whom and when :smoke:
0

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 21,818
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostEgwene, on 09 October 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

I am just glad that overall the names are pronounceable - even if only in my head!

Rather than calling repeat of names unimaginative, I think it's authors taking it easy. After all, if you have ten characters by the name of John and fifteen with the name Smith... how on earth do you keep track on who said what to whom and when :smoke:


See aelso aelll the Aegons, Aeryns, aend similar nameless in Song of Ice aend Fire.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT
0

#20 User is offline   Syphonics 

  • Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: 13-July 14

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostK, on 28 September 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

View PostJagh-o-matic, on 04 June 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

Wither/Withal + Wyval was pretty horrendous on the first read.

No one has yet mentioned my personal favorite, however:

Kenryllah
Kenyllrah

(pretentious apostrophes omitted)


Dear Lord the demon names are the absolute worst.

These are pretty bad, but out of all of the ones listed I feel they matter the least. As I recall, Kenryllah and Kenyllrah just indicated rank, so at least they weren't individual names.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users