Malazan Empire: Dragon contest - Korabas - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dragon contest - Korabas Hello again!

#1 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Photoshopping, gaming, reading - general nerdiness.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hey hey - giving this dragon contest a bash, since, well... DRAGONS!

Foreword - I know the location isn't exactly lore-precise, but hey, she flies a lot, so she could have gone past some mountains. Hell, after an eternity of imprisonment, I would want to fly as high as possible. Plus, blues contrast well with oranges and browns :p So, artistic license on that one. Oh, and still a WIP! Need to work in the background swarm (all non-Korabas dragons :D) and adjust odd bits (I'm already noticing things that need tweaking) - but it is virtually complete. Just wanted to pass it by the experts before submitting :D

Missed you gais <3

Posted Image

This post has been edited by max7773: 17 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

" ...neither mortal nor immortal can fathom the mind of an artist. But as a general rule, between two possible answers, choose the more sordid one." - Bugg, Dust Of Dreams

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

Aaah, I'm in love!

Seriously, that looks great and I can't wait to see the finished piece, and I really don't have anything to criticize. You have really improved, if you don't mind me saying that. Great to have you back :D
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

Holy shit, that looks great.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

That is so beautiful!!!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:48 AM

That's amazing!!!!!!!
'All Eres were bonecasters, Trull Sengar. For they were the first to carry the spark of awareness, the first so gifted by the spirits.'

#6 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

OMFG - That's all I have to say, oh and fricking awesome as well!!!

#7 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

That is some awesomeness.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#8 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! Really pleased you like it :D

@Puck: Cheers, great to be back! Always striving to get better, so you noticing an improvement is great to hear :D
" ...neither mortal nor immortal can fathom the mind of an artist. But as a general rule, between two possible answers, choose the more sordid one." - Bugg, Dust Of Dreams

#9 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

Holy SHIT!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#10 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

Wow! Great!

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:23 AM

Echoing the others, that is a sweet picture. Like hang it on the wall kind of good.

Now for some constructive criticism.

Korabas is like a virulent nuclear furnace. Her release is like an H-bomb detonating. Her passage destroys life. It cracks the earth. It boils the sky. Her very existence is the unmaking of everything.

The background should not be a clear blue sky, it should be a churning inferno. The earth should be bleeding. The mountain crumbling. Korabas her self should probably be enveloped in sorcery or flames or something to signify her nature.

As a dragon picture it is very cool. But as a picture of Korabas it doesn't quite hit the mark.

EDIT: By the way, on the positive side, I like the way you've drawn her. There's this "cuteness" to her, which lends her a feeling of innocence, which is what Korabas was. She just wanted to fly and be free but her very presence attracted dragons that wanted to kill her. She could only destroy and it broke her heart. She could only die and never know life. Sad dragon is sad.

This post has been edited by Pennyapt: 08 July 2011 - 03:27 AM

#12 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:35 AM

That's less constructive criticism and more DRINK ORANGE JUICE AND THROW UP ON A CANVAS

OK, now you need to do two more versions, one with all sorts of shitty filters and obscuring crap on top of it to destroy details and appease Apt and another almost identical to the original only now with her in a top hat smoking a cigar for maximum chilloscity.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:42 AM

Why not just make it a giant quivering vagina and call it Illuyankas. Nyyyyaaah.

(Allthough a giant chicken dragons sounds kind of cool)

This post has been edited by Pennyapt: 08 July 2011 - 03:43 AM

#14 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

The love between you two is palpable!

Fair point Pennyapt; I guess it's down to how you interpret it. I didn't envisage visible sorcery, just the mass death of everything on the ground, like an invisible wildfire, and since she's flying over mountains where nothing lives, I didn't think there'd be any noticeable change in the environment. Originally I did plan on having a blackened, marred landscape - but that was before it changed to mountains. Although somewhere there is probably a quote contradicting everything I just wrote.

Gotta say Illuyankas, I laughed out loud reading the whole vomitting orange juice thing. Done it before though (admittedly not on a canvas), and it didn't leave me wanting to repeat the experience :D

This post has been edited by max7773: 08 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

#15 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

Best pic i've seen on here for ages, a new benchmark has been set.

Tart it up a bit and I can definitely see it as a mass market poster type thing.

Excellent work, gold star, party hat and badge etc etc ;)
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

great pic.
the dragon in her right claw is a particularly nice touch.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

absolutely gorgeous. my new wallpaper and probably a poster as apt says. never seen anything so brilliant.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#18 User is offline   Niva 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Reading, Art, Bodybuilding

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

Excellent work, love the colors and the background. This is the best I've seen here too.
My website: eternalseven.com

#19 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

View PostPennyapt, on 08 July 2011 - 03:23 AM, said:

EDIT: By the way, on the positive side, I like the way you've drawn her. There's this "cuteness" to her, which lends her a feeling of innocence, which is what Korabas was. She just wanted to fly and be free but her very presence attracted dragons that wanted to kill her. She could only destroy and it broke her heart. She could only die and never know life. Sad dragon is sad.

That^

And everything else has been said, great work!

Edit; i don't know if it shows for everyone else but down on the left wing there's a couple of very thin horizontal lines, guessing just leftovers but they seem unnecessary amongst all the perfection ;)

This post has been edited by Isolde: 11 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

#20 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

View PostIsolde, on 11 July 2011 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostPennyapt, on 08 July 2011 - 03:23 AM, said:

That^

And everything else has been said, great work!

Edit; i don't know if it shows for everyone else but down on the left wing there's a couple of very thin horizontal lines, guessing just leftovers but they seem unnecessary amongst all the perfection ;)

Thanks for pointing those out, Isolde! No idea how they got there, but fortunately I kept my layers, so went back about 20 layers and voila, found them and erased them. I'll update it shortly :p

To everyone else - cheers for the comments!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users