• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Starz AMERICAN GODS Updated: Bryan Fuller's Version

#121 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

I've read some not so good impressions about season 2. I guess with the shake up that happened, the quality of the show has suffered tremendously. I'll still give it a go, to see for myself.

#122 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:43 AM

If true that's a goddamn shame. I love this series.

#123 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:38 AM

A lot of the new dialogue (that's not from the book) is pretty bad. The pace is slow and the plotting is extremely loose.

And it seems like they cut out one of Nancy's best stories for that....

Still hopeful though.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 March 2019 - 01:38 AM

#124 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

Season 3 of this is starting Sunday. I haven't watched season 2. Starz is going to run a marathon of season 1 and season 2. I'm tentatively planning on watching season 2 I guess. Is it worth it? Any info on whether the upcoming season 3 is going to be worth investing time in watching?

#125 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:59 AM

Counting down to it myself.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#126 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

Been watching season 2. It's been so long since I watched season 1 that I forget what some of the overall themes are. I remember the old gods against the new gods war from season 1 and that is about it. I'm halfway through season 2 and I'm not that into it, tbh. I think the show changed hands, right? I sorta remember season 1 was quality and enjoyed it, but in season 2 there is a drop. There are some excellent performances though. Crispin Glover is fantastic, as is Orlando Jones. Both just absolutely dominate each scene. I did some investigating, I didn't have time to read the details but Orlando Jones was fired off the show? why?

There's some cool themes so far. The notion of the knowledge god, who over the ages has changed to become the manifestation/instant access to digital information. Progressing over time from back in antiquity when the representation of knowledge was the library in Alexandria. Oh and ha! New Media. She's the continuation of that concept and has the previous (just plain Media, so newspapers and the like I guess?) inside her. She hints that she will become part of the next iteration of Media (inside her, consumed by it) and alludes to the idea that eventually we will be Media, which, I think we are there irl. The show has some lag time with how fast technology moves, but it's pretty close. I'll be interested to see how they represent some of these concepts in Season 3. Which leads me to a decision on whether I'll give s3 a go. I suppose I will try the first couple of episodes. I still have to get through season 2 first.

#127 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:16 AM

Season 3, Episode 1 was underwhelming. This is not to say I won't continue watching. There's still hope for it to improve.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#128 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:32 PM

View PostBriar King, on 11 May 2021 - 04:24 PM, said:

Finished this not to long ago. S2 started strong and went down shitter as it went. S3 was much better and I was excited to go forward only to later that day after finishing that they axed the show. No S4 coming.

'In typical small-screen fashion, where nobody ever says never anymore, we hear there are discussions about wrapping up the Toronto-themed series to align with Gaiman’s 2001 novel as either an event series or a TV movie. However, based on the fact American Gods has seen double-digit ratings declines from season to season, any hopes of a continuation might be more smoke than fire from the premium cabler.'

https://deadline.com...man-1234724166/

#129 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:12 AM

I am a huge fan of the book but have never seen the TV series. From what I've read only the first season is worth watching. So does that mean that I should give S1 a try and then ignore the rest?

#130 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:25 AM

S1 is worth watching.
S2.... ymmv. If you can live with the 'risk' (because we are talking about a tv show here) that you may not like it, it's worth a look and just bail if you fall out.

As an aside, there is a comic series worth checking out.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#131 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 February 2022 - 03:31 PM

Started this today. My predominant thought is that I can't for the life of me remember a single thing from the book!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#132 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 February 2022 - 05:25 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 February 2022 - 03:31 PM, said:

Started this today. My predominant thought is that I can't for the life of me remember a single thing from the book!

Not necessary. If you care, the start draws on the book a bit to establish the characters but then it goes very much in its own direction.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users