• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Starz AMERICAN GODS Updated: Bryan Fuller's Version

#101 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:33 AM

From what I've read (maybe in an EW article? but it was an interview, not speculation), they plan 5 seasons and Gaiman has the seeds of a direct sequel book, but it's nowhere near the front of his writing pipeline, so he's not really in a race to beat the show to it. That said, he's discussed his ideas w/ Fuller et al and they might be including it in later seasons if they get there.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#102 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

Ive just discovered Monarch of the Glen and Black Dog, which are both additional chapters to Shadows story. There's certainly plenty of material there.

Only up to ep 2 of the show. The decision to combine the tech boy meeting and shadows beating by Mr worlds men seemed a bit unnecessary, especially as Laura wasn't seen at that point.

Gillian Anderson is good but it still looked like Gillian Anderson to me, and not Lucille. Pity they didn't have the budget/permission to change some actual Lucy footage.They could have made it grainy and flicker.

Something I want to recheck from the book -
Spoiler

Czernobog was spot on.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 07 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#103 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

Wow, episode 3 was just excellent.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#104 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:58 PM

I really enjoyed last night's episode too. Cool to see them do a leprechaun story that wasn't twee. I found the chat with the old woman to be really moving (not sure why i found to so moving to be honest, but i did?).
My only gripes were the occasionally wonky irish accents, and a one location which was said to be Bantry Bay, but isn't. But hey, minor gripes.

Curious as to what the big finale will be to end season 1.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#105 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:05 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 12 June 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

I really enjoyed last night's episode too. Cool to see them do a leprechaun story that wasn't twee. I found the chat with the old woman to be really moving (not sure why i found to so moving to be honest, but i did?).
My only gripes were the occasionally wonky irish accents, and a one location which was said to be Bantry Bay, but isn't. But hey, minor gripes.

Emily Browning shouldn't be allowed to do an Irish accent.

Just sayin'

Otherwise liked last night's episode too. Though not as much as most others.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#106 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 June 2017 - 02:29 AM, said:

Omg I can without a doubt say that was truly the best of the season. I didn't want it to fucking end! So epic!

Completely agree.

Spoiler

/gushing over

Edit: Also the soundtrack ... Tehran 1979 was freakin' great.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 19 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#107 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

What a great first season. Not perfect by any means, but so different to anything else on tv.

As someone who is interesting in camera work, i loved the cinematography in it as much as anything else. Especially any time they show Yggdrasil with the starscape behind it.

And Ian McShane is awesome as usual.

Can't wait to see how they play it all out, since i can't remember the details of the book.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#108 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

My favorite new show this year (so far). Listening to the "full cast" audiobook production---the guy voicing Mr Wednesday sounds incredibly like Ian McShane (had to look it up to make sure it wasn't him). Same unusual accent and delivery.

View PostBinder of Demons, on 12 June 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

Pretty sure the shore is Cornwall:

Posted Image

In the book she's Cornish, not Irish, and it's a Pishkie ("pixie"), not the leprechaun. But he's got a green coat and, like Sweeney, has ginger hair (though of course leprechauns traditionally wore red, not green, jackets...). And the person who "first" brought Sweeney over came as a refugee (from Bantry Bay) fleeing the Irish famine. Perhaps that partly explains how off her accent is especially at the beginning. Edit: the showrunners say in an interview that they changed it from Cornish to Irish in part because she couldn't learn to do a good Cornish accent. (After hearing the audiobook version I had a nightmare in which I went on a prolonged rant about how ridiculous it is to mix up Irish and Cornish---even more ridiculous than conflating Irish and Scottish (which are at least both Goidelic Celtic languages that deviated off from each other more recently, as opposed to Brythonic Celtic), or maybe even Irish and Welsh (Cornwall being further from the Irish coast---though on the other hand its relative isolation at the furthest southwest penninsula may have caused the accent to change more slowly than Welsh and bear more of a resemblance to that of some places in Ireland which were slower to change after the invention of RP as standard school English).

Posted Image

In the book her name is Essie Tregowan, not Essie MacGowan. Probably named after Enys Tregarthen: "Nellie Sloggett (29 December 1851 in Padstow, Cornwall, UK – 1923) was an author and folklorist who wrote under the names Enys Tregarthen and Nellie Cornwall." This is near Padstow and could be the stone tower visible in the distance:

Posted Image

Edit: might be Bay Roberts, in Newfoundland, where they were definitely shooting:

Posted Image

But imbd---which isn't always accurate---says the episode was filmed in Hamilton, Ontario. That's probably it after all (or part of it... Newfoundland might have just been the Vikings):

https://www.alltrail...gh-bluffs-trail

Hm. Ah well, still enjoyable. And it got me to look up where exactly Cornwall is and what Cornish accents sound like.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 July 2017 - 04:31 AM

#109 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:25 AM

Just finished the 10th Anniversary (author's preferred, expanded, full cast audiobook) edition. About half the show's "Coming to America" or "Somewhere in America" stories were essentially not in the book, though they borrowed some elements:

Spoiler

The showrunners have asked people to request other "Coming to America" stories for other gods. Plenty of material there.

At least 1/3 to 1/2 of the first season isn't in the books. Otomh:
Spoiler

The ending of the last episode implies that Ostara goes full Persephone on the United States and kills off all the vegetation so people will start praying to the New Gods again. In the book,
Spoiler
The show could easily add half a season revolving around the fallout. Not to mention the continuing adventures of Sweeney, Laura, and Salim. And Anansi has barely even appeared yet... or Bast. (Cats and the internet? I've met many people with statues of Bast.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 July 2017 - 02:54 AM

#110 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:57 AM

http://www.indiewire...dia-1201902345/

Fuller and Green have left the show!

#111 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:38 AM

Crap.

#112 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

All I got of import from that article is that Amazon are making a good omens mini series

#113 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:16 AM

Reality has trumped fiction again:

'Worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles and some wearing bullet crowns, participated in a commitment ceremony today at World Peace and Unification Sanctuary, in Newfoundland, Pa. The event led a nearby school to cancel classes for the day.'

https://twitter.com/...6973365255?s=19

Tbh if the gun worshipping town episode had done bullet crowns and blessing AR-15's I would have thought it was completely over the top (not bad---the over-the-topness is one of my favorite things about the show---but perhaps too unrealistic for the social critique it was attempting...).

It will be interesting to see whether the show deals with Trump when it returns---it will be almost impossible not to have Trumpian echoes....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 March 2018 - 01:19 AM

#114 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

Finally finished this up. Really enjoyed it. The multiple Jesuses in the last episode was bonkers. And it seems like the sides are set, Ostara/Easter joining Wednesday (Old Gods) and Bilquis (that stunning, chocolate sex goddess joining the New Gods). Which brings me to this observation: so were these eight episodes in season 1 just a set up? Meaning sides were chosen and now the war between Old and New can begin in earnest in season 2? Also, I believe I read some important people left the show, so is there even going to be a season 2?

#115 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

The showrunners left the show over budget issues (and whatever else is wrong with Bryan Fuller). So did Gillian Anderson, who was only there because of Fuller. There will be a season 2. Neil Gaiman is still involved in the show. Nobody knows if it's gonna work or not.

#116 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

I sure do hope there is a season 2. So much to be fleshed out from where s1 ended.

#117 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:41 AM

S2 already confirmed and Gaiman is to be actively involved.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#118 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

Huh, I'll be damned. I didn't know this was coming back so soon. Season 2 starts up in March. This is the trailer.

You guys pumped or what? yes? no? meh?

#119 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

Definitely looking forward to it.

#120 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

I'm catching up on the first season, but I've LOVED every moment of every episode I've seen. Ì caught a few out of order, including the last episode, so I've been filling in.

I can't believe I overlooked this one for this long.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users