• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#441 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

speaking of ghibli, has anyone seen arriety in theatres?

@QT, been speaking with ppl in forums on the subject. While i guess anime industry is dying may be rather alarmist per say, i wouldnt say it's thriving or anything. Need a few more years worth of data to make that proper assesment. THat being said though
http://www.animenews...ture/2012-03-05
he's an article im sure everyone will find interesting.

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 13 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

#442 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 March 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

View PostSindriss, on 13 March 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Yeah, do that. It is nice to hear how fresh eyes perceive OP, especially when you have reread the entire series 3-4 times by now.

I keep seeing the manga at the store and I'm always tempted to pick it up as well...but I want to hold off till I am caught up with the show. It's tough though.

Although the OP anime is one of those that are actually good, I must admit I vastly prefer reading the mangas. And it is created directly by Oda, so you know it is first quality :(

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#443 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

For the most part I'm the same. If the anime is based on a manga (and most are) and it's worth watching, it's usually worth reading as well.

#444 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

ONE PIECE is devouring my life and soul.

In a great way. I have no trouble admitting that it is now the best anime I've ever seen. Barnone.

That is all.

Update: Rounding Episode 65 (in ten short eps I'll be into Season 2 proper).

Oh, and it only took 3 episodes to get fully into the Second Opening theme song "Believe". Now I love it. Funny how it didn't take that long.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#445 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

This scares me. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#446 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostSilencer, on 16 March 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

This scares me. XD

Trust Amph and Sindriss (and me too), it is more than worth your time. Oh and watch it subbed...I loved the dub, but the sub is even better!!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#447 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

Heh, I was wondering when you were going to compare the sub and dub. XD

Yeah, I'll go and track it down. *sigh* Like I'm not busy enough atm. :wallbash:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#448 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

OP: Just finished the Warship Island Arc. I dug the idea of the Millennial Dragons, and part of it was fairly bittersweet, but this was the first arc that I thought stretched on a bit long, just a bit...and the funny thing is right when I started to think that at the tail end...the second half of that episode was the avoiding the Red Line currents going UP the mountain bit...which was kick assery...and I had to chastise myself for thinking it was going on too long when it turned out it really wasn't.

#449 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

One Piece is the reason that Wednesday is my favourite day of the week. Unless the manga's on break in which case the entire week is ruined.

#450 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

View Postrhulad, on 19 March 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

One Piece is the reason that Wednesday is my favourite day of the week. Unless the manga's on break in which case the entire week is ruined.

I'm pretty badly enough addicted that I picked up the first two volumes of the manga yesterday (stuff I already know storywise from the anime), but I could not help myself.

I am a weak, weak individual...and at 62+ volumes, Mrs. QT is going to kill me for taking up even more space with my books.

I can only expect that once I am caught fully up I'll probably, and inevitably begin to buy SHONEN JUMP so I can read it every Wednesday too. My wallet, she hurts.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

#451 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

View Postrhulad, on 19 March 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

My thoughts exactly.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#452 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

The Viz Manga has Zoro's name as Zolo? Oh, that kind of bothers me.

AFAIK it's because the romanized kanji for the letter can be construed as both "L" and "R", but according to most info Oda intended it to be Zoro. 4Kids made it Zolo to differentiate between his name and the classic Spanish hero Zorro (because apparently North American's are deemed too stupid to be able to separate the two characters?), and as to not derail or confuse kids who would also read the manga they followed suit and named him Zolo in their manga. It was only when Funimation licensed the show that it went back to the proper Zoro.

So it's bugging the crap out of me and I wish I could read Japanese kanji.

LOL

First world Problems.

Otherwise, I like the manga as well.

OP Anime update:

I got up to ep 70 last night, and they've changed the ending theme again. It's a bit softer and more ballad-like but it's decent enough. It may be tough for them to ever top RUN!RUN!RUN! though.

Luffy's Barrel-head snowman = pure awesome.

Usopp's Snow Queen having its head taken off by Luffy's snowman = priceless comedy.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

#453 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

The Navy guy is named Vice Admiral Garp.

The Straw Hats don't go directly to Alabasta, but things all build towards the adventure there.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#454 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 March 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

The Navy guy is named Vice Admiral Garp.

The Straw Hats don't go directly to Alabasta, but things all build towards the adventure there.

Ah, okay. Understood.

Update: Finished up to ep 78 last night (The Little Garden Arc) and I gotta say that SOME of the Baroque Works thugs are truly bewildering in their motives. Mr. 3 for example, other than trying to get to be Mr. 2 what are his motivations behind causing the Giants to fight? I thought his power was cool though, and Luffy being stuck under that huge rock for a while was cool. Also a very big arc for Usopp's growth into what he wants to be as a warrior (instead of a chicken) and that was a great aspect of it. Oh and Sanji's dopey moments where he sat on the Going Merry wondering where everyone got to....priceless. But barnone the best bit was Zoro being stuck in the candle wax only to threaten to cut off his own legs to fight. The key to that being Nami yelling at him saying "How on earth would you expect to escape if you cut your legs off?" and him responding "I wasn't. I was going to cut my legs off so I could fight!"...and of course Luffy being affected by Miss Golden Week's paints...ever time he aimed a Gum-Gum attack and it flopped softly at the symbol on the ground, I chuckled.

If I'm not incorrect, I believe that past 79 is officially Season 3. Will probably get a chance to watch that on Thursday.

#455 User is offline   kokosdera 

• Seguleh 10000th
  • Interests:SF stories, wuxia stories, and recently Malazan stories.
  • Don't like chilli.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

pardon me interrupting the One Piece. Just want to share my fav anime/manga:
1. Full Metal Alchemist, the manga and the anime FMA: Brotherhood. The plot is perfect up to the climax. FMA has many rounded characters too. And The magic systems of the universe is great and consistent till the end. The sub-genre is steampunk.
2. Cowboy Bebop. A space western anime with style. This anime has many jazz music as OST. One of the most unique anime.
3. Samurai Champloo. Another unique anime. Although I lost many of their jokes. The fighting scenes in this anime are great for TV series.
4. Last Exile. The story takes place in a world/planet with hourglass shape! TV series anime with great arts and animations. And good story too.
5. Baccano! This anime's strength is in its fast pace multi-plot stories. If you like Malazan-type novels, you should like this anime too.
6. Patlabor, both manga and anime. The universe of the story is in alternate 1997-2002 where there is a mecha heavy industry. A classic science fiction story.
7. Lone Wolf and The Cub. A classic samurai hack-and-slash manga.
8. For samurai hack-and-slash anime, I recommend two movies: "Ninja Scroll", and "Sword of The Stranger"
9. Legend of Galactic Heroes. Although I lost interest at later episodes (can't say anymore without spoiling), but overall the space battles and the stories are epic.
10. Irresponsible Captain Tylor. A space-opera parody.
"It's that hurt we feel that makes us keep going, Sergeant. And maybe we're not going anywhere, but at least we're not running away from anything."
- Fiddler in GotM

#456 User is offline   Eltar 

• Trickster Priest
  • Interests:Those, my dear acquaintances, would be a secret.
  • Ex-Wotmania alum, Sleeper Agent.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Kokosdera, I love most of your picks. The only one that I dislike is Last Exile (it's a good series, just not my personal style) and I have never heard of "Legend of Galactic Heroes" or "Platlabor" though. I'll have to check them out.

My favorite anime/manga:

1) Neon Genesis, both Evangelion and the new Rebuild series. This has to be the most epic anime ever created and is a must for fans of the MBotF. It is set in a post apocalyptic Earth with giant mech fighting, but the focus of the series is on the different characters, each of whom embodies a different philosophical point of view. The arguments and discussions between them are very reminiscent of the later novels in the MBotF. The original series also has fantastic music and is hand drawn anime at its finest. The new series looks utterly gorgeous but moves slightly away from the original's philosophical core. Multiple viewings are encouraged in order to pick up on every little thing.
2) Cowboy Bebop. For all the reasons previously mentioned.
3) Ah! My Goddess. A romance series for guys. A goddess from the goddess hotline grants a man a wish, and the story unfolds from there. It's a pure feel good anime, and if I've ever had a bad day and pop that in to watch, I have never failed to have my mood brighten. Yet as good as the anime is, the manga is better and is still ongoing.
4) Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. The main character, a military man and guerrilla fighter since he was a kid, uses his skills to deal with normal everyday problems in comically explosive and violent manners. This is a pure parody series and is probably the funniest anime that I have ever seen.
5) Bastard. A Heavey Metal D&D inspired fantasy world. The anime is 6 episodes long but the manga is still ongoing. The anime is cool and entertaining, and the main character is both utterly hilarious and a badass, but the manga is where it's at. Without spoiling too much, heaven and hell are currently having the End of Times war in recent volumes, and the epic scope imagined by it has yet to be matched by another manga out there.
6) Excel Saga. This series is crack. Full of musings on the world and people's idiocy, it's all wrapped up in pure insanity. The series is fast paced, to the point that it hits you like a freight train and it never slows down. Not recommended for first time anime goers.
7) Tenchi Muyo! This sci-fi/fantasy series is fantastic. Great characters and amusing stories, coupled with excellent action scenes. It's a franchise with multiple incarnations, the best being "Tenchi Muyo!", "Tenchi Universe", and "Tenchi GXP."
8) Slayers. The first season of this 90's fantasy/adventure series was fun, and it's one of those series that gets better the longer it goes on. Demons, sorcerers, and warriors abound. Seasons 1-3 are recommended. Seasons 4-5 are not.
9) Ergo Proxy. A provocative sci-fi flick, it encourages you to try and solve the mysterious riddle of the world's founding.
10) FLCL. Only six episodes long, this series is philosophical at its essence. Combined with awesome fights and an absurdist approach to its artistic style, it's a unique and interesting anime.

Honorable mentions: Those Who Hunt Elves, Samurai Champloo, Gundam Seed, Gundam Wing, and Outlaw Star.
"Whether you believe me or not is up to you."
~Xelloss

#457 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostEltar, on 25 March 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

1) Neon Genesis, both Evangelion and the new Rebuild series. This has to be the most epic anime ever created and is a must for fans of the MBotF. It is set in a post apocalyptic Earth with giant mech fighting, but the focus of the series is on the different characters, each of whom embodies a different philosophical point of view. The arguments and discussions between them are very reminiscent of the later novels in the MBotF. The original series also has fantastic music and is hand drawn anime at its finest. The new series looks utterly gorgeous but moves slightly away from the original's philosophical core. Multiple viewings are encouraged in order to pick up on every little thing.

Incorrect. :wub:

(Spoilers for those who haven't watched the original anime and movies of Eva)

Spoiler

sorry, I've made a bit of a study of Eva over the years. :wine:

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

#458 User is offline   Eltar 

• Trickster Priest
  • Interests:Those, my dear acquaintances, would be a secret.
  • Ex-Wotmania alum, Sleeper Agent.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

It's okay. But you're not the only one who has studied Eva.Posted Image

More spoilers for the original series, new series, and movies of Eva follow.

Spoiler

And thank you for initiating this discussion, Quick Tidal. I rarely have the pleasure to converse with someone about Neon Genesis who understands more than the superficial aspects of the show. So thank you, once again.
"Whether you believe me or not is up to you."
~Xelloss

#459 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

Is it possible that Anno has decided to place a greater emphasis upon taking action in this Rebuild? As in he and the others working on the series felt that enough time had been spent thinking and exploring before so they didn't need to do so much more this time around?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#460 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

View Postamphibian, on 26 March 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

Is it possible that Anno has decided to place a greater emphasis upon taking action in this Rebuild? As in he and the others working on the series felt that enough time had been spent thinking and exploring before so they didn't need to do so much more this time around?

Indeed a possibility, or my other thought was accessibility for newcomer viewers.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

43 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users