• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#461 User is offline   powerclaw 

• Moral Ambiguity
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, Warhammer/Warmahordes, Painting (the miniatures above), Poetry (at times), Chemical Engineering (When I have to), Gymnastics (one arched eyebrow)
  • Wth is Jabber?

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostEltar, on 25 March 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

3) Ah! My Goddess. A romance series for guys. A goddess from the goddess hotline grants a man a wish, and the story unfolds from there. It's a pure feel good anime, and if I've ever had a bad day and pop that in to watch, I have never failed to have my mood brighten. Yet as good as the anime is, the manga is better and is still ongoing.
4) Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. The main character, a military man and guerrilla fighter since he was a kid, uses his skills to deal with normal everyday problems in comically explosive and violent manners. This is a pure parody series and is probably the funniest anime that I have ever seen.
10) FLCL. Only six episodes long, this series is philosophical at its essence. Combined with awesome fights and an absurdist approach to its artistic style, it's a unique and interesting anime.

I just wanted to second all of these. Tons of fun packed into all of these series.

I also wanted to know what you guys thought of Wolf's Rain. I loved it when I watched it. Some of my favorite theme music ever and really great ideas throughout. I've talked to some people that really didn't like it though which surprised me. They couldn't really articulate what it was they didn't like so I was curious what ya'll think of it.
"Never let your morals stand in the way of doing what is right."
-Isaac Asimov

#462 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

So the Film Festival theatre (TIFF Bell Lightbox) which is only a few blocks from me is doing a Studio Ghibli retrospective XD! See the trailer below, but I will be seeing as many of these as I can find the time to get out to: MUST SEE ones are MY NEIGHBOR TORORO and KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE because I've never seen those in the theatre.

Anyways, here's the brilliant trailer for the retrospective.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#463 User is offline   Eltar 

• Trickster Priest
  • Interests:Those, my dear acquaintances, would be a secret.
  • Ex-Wotmania alum, Sleeper Agent.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 March 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 26 March 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

Is it possible that Anno has decided to place a greater emphasis upon taking action in this Rebuild? As in he and the others working on the series felt that enough time had been spent thinking and exploring before so they didn't need to do so much more this time around?

Indeed a possibility, or my other thought was accessibility for newcomer viewers.

I agree with Quick Tidal in that it was probably done out of a desire to increase the series' accessibility. It's also possible that Anno himself is different. When he created the original series, Anno was battling severe depression and it shows in his characters. I suspect that he has gotten out of that hole and is much happier today than he was back in the mid 90's when he created the original series.

View Postpowerclaw, on 26 March 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

3) Ah! My Goddess. A romance series for guys. A goddess from the goddess hotline grants a man a wish, and the story unfolds from there. It's a pure feel good anime, and if I've ever had a bad day and pop that in to watch, I have never failed to have my mood brighten. Yet as good as the anime is, the manga is better and is still ongoing.
4) Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu. The main character, a military man and guerrilla fighter since he was a kid, uses his skills to deal with normal everyday problems in comically explosive and violent manners. This is a pure parody series and is probably the funniest anime that I have ever seen.
10) FLCL. Only six episodes long, this series is philosophical at its essence. Combined with awesome fights and an absurdist approach to its artistic style, it's a unique and interesting anime.

I just wanted to second all of these. Tons of fun packed into all of these series.

I also wanted to know what you guys thought of Wolf's Rain. I loved it when I watched it. Some of my favorite theme music ever and really great ideas throughout. I've talked to some people that really didn't like it though which surprised me. They couldn't really articulate what it was they didn't like so I was curious what ya'll think of it.

I am sad to say that I am one of those people who never got into Wolf's Rain. Many of my friends did, and it is an excellent series, but it just doesn't fit my tastes. I am personally not a fan of werewolves or wolves/humans who can shape shift to the other in general and the story itself never really grabbed me. With that being said I would still recommend that anyone in search of an interesting science fiction story that possesses a twist give Wolf's Rain a try. It is quite well done.

Your mention of Wolf's Rain also reminded me of the one exception that I made to my shape shifting tastes, which is the anime Spice and Wolf. If you like Wolf's Rain and Ah! My Goddess then I would highly recommend you check this series out. It's another anime that is completely unique, in that it follows a medieval European peddler with a somewhat special companion. The series focuses on their interaction with one another and explores economics as a story driving force. The deals and plans that he makes and/or takes part in are engaging, with everything having a logical basis that I personally find to be compelling.

And oh that Studio Ghibli is awesome! Miyazaki is a genius, and all of his works are fantastic. Enough said.
"Whether you believe me or not is up to you."
~Xelloss

#464 User is offline   blanketman2.0 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostEltar, on 26 March 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Your mention of Wolf's Rain also reminded me of the one exception that I made to my shape shifting tastes, which is the anime Spice and Wolf. If you like Wolf's Rain and Ah! My Goddess then I would highly recommend you check this series out. It's another anime that is completely unique, in that it follows a medieval European peddler with a somewhat special companion. The series focuses on their interaction with one another and explores economics as a story driving force. The deals and plans that he makes and/or takes part in are engaging, with everything having a logical basis that I personally find to be compelling.

And oh that Studio Ghibli is awesome! Miyazaki is a genius, and all of his works are fantastic. Enough said.

i second spice and wolf really well done and watch berserk it is awesome but the manga is better.
blankets are always in style

#465 User is offline   Eltar 

• Trickster Priest

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Oh Beserk... now there's a nutty series. I think my favorite part of it watr the various outtakes, especially when Griffith's english voice actor randomly broke into song.

Speaking of which:

This post has been edited by Eltar: 29 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

~Xelloss

#466 User is offline   kokosdera 

• Seguleh 10000th
  • Interests:SF stories, wuxia stories, and recently Malazan stories.
  • Don't like chilli.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Kokosdera, I love most of your picks. The only one that I dislike is Last Exile (it's a good series, just not my personal style) and I have never heard of "Legend of Galactic Heroes" or "Platlabor" though. I'll have to check them out.

My favorite anime/manga:

6) Excel Saga. This series is crack. Full of musings on the world and people's idiocy, it's all wrapped up in pure insanity. The series is fast paced, to the point that it hits you like a freight train and it never slows down. Not recommended for first time anime goers.
7) Tenchi Muyo! This sci-fi/fantasy series is fantastic. Great characters and amusing stories, coupled with excellent action scenes. It's a franchise with multiple incarnations, the best being "Tenchi Muyo!", "Tenchi Universe", and "Tenchi GXP."
8) Slayers. The first season of this 90's fantasy/adventure series was fun, and it's one of those series that gets better the longer it goes on. Demons, sorcerers, and warriors abound. Seasons 1-3 are recommended. Seasons 4-5 are not.
9) Ergo Proxy. A provocative sci-fi flick, it encourages you to try and solve the mysterious riddle of the world's founding.

1) I was looking for Excel Saga years ago, but didn't succeed finding a complete series.B)
2) I like Tenchi Muyo! too, but just not epic enough for me. The story is concentrate on people of that one house (on Earth).
3) Slayers! How can I forget Lina Inverse. XD Greatest magician in anime/manga genre. *OK, I exaggerate a little bit* Agreed with you, Eltar.:p
4) Ergo Proxy. I watched this anime too. Gorgeous female protagonist! I just didn't like how the story easily killed minor characters.
"It's that hurt we feel that makes us keep going, Sergeant. And maybe we're not going anywhere, but at least we're not running away from anything."
- Fiddler in GotM

#467 User is offline   Eltar 

• Trickster Priest

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

If you are still trying to find Excel saga and have a Netflix account, look no further. It's all there. If not... well, there many other online sites that you could use to find it. ;-)
~Xelloss

#468 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Has anyone watched the 'Battle Angel Alita' OVA? The manga was awesome so I'm curious to know if it was any good.

#469 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

View Postrhulad, on 04 April 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Has anyone watched the 'Battle Angel Alita' OVA? The manga was awesome so I'm curious to know if it was any good.

It's pretty oldschool, but when I first got into anime in the mid-90's it was required watching along with AKIRA and APPLESEED (the original), so if you watch it do so for the nostalgia and ground it broke...it's good, but the manga is defo better.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#470 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Quick, I'll give it a watch this weekend. I read the original manga series a long time ago and just found 'Battle Angel Alita: Last Order' and am reading it, so I thought I'd watch the OVA if it was any good.

#471 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

How goes OP Quick?

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#472 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostSindriss, on 04 April 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

How goes OP Quick?

Funny you should ask. I took a break to catch fully up on DOWNTON ABBEY, but I've finished that now so it's back to ONE PIECE as of this weekend (aside from seeing both MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO and KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE at the Myazaki retrospective), and if I recall correctly, I had just started the Drum Island Arc (So Nami is still ill...and they can't get help), so that's around episode 83 or so? Anyways, going well, still love the show. And I know a new Straw Hat Pirate gets introduced during this arc, so I'm excited to see that.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

#473 User is offline   kokosdera 

• Seguleh 10000th
  • Interests:SF stories, wuxia stories, and recently Malazan stories.
  • Don't like chilli.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostEltar, on 02 April 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

If you are still trying to find Excel saga and have a Netflix account, look no further. It's all there. If not... well, there many other online sites that you could use to find it. ;-)

Thanks Eldar. Unfortunately, I got this message when I go to the Netflix "Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country... yet" ;)

Back to anime, I have no idea why such a good manga like Battle Angel Alita could only has several eps of OVA. It reminds me of another good manga with 1 OVA only: "Five Star Stories", a space opera mecha.
"It's that hurt we feel that makes us keep going, Sergeant. And maybe we're not going anywhere, but at least we're not running away from anything."
- Fiddler in GotM

#474 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

OP Update:

So I have one episode left in the Drum Island arc (and 3 more in Season 3 on the whole)...

Spoiler

So as of this weekend I'll get into the Alabasta Arc and the beginning of Season 4.

Oh, and the latest closing song, BEFORE DAWN...Almost as good as RUN! RUN! RUN! in its catchyness. See below. Oh and I love the ending sequence animation with everyone leaping/running in slow motion while the background stays still. It just LOOKS so great.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

#475 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

And another edition of Anime Wednesday is now up at the site.

http://icebergink.bl...sday-april.html

#476 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Ahh, so that's where the March edition went! :p

Another great entry, QT. Interesting that the subbed screenings sold out really quick, that certainly says something about the old subbed vs dubbed war - though, with Miyazaki, I imagine there might be even more people than usual who prefer the original VA work...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#477 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

OP Ep 91 spoiler

Spoiler

#478 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 April 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

OP Ep 91 spoiler

Spoiler

I was going to say something relevant, but then got sucked into looking at the entire list of anime episodes. You've SO MUCH more to go and it's all terrific. Four hundred and fifty-one episodes to catch up to as of right now!

I'm proud to live in a world where this show is on the air (and the manga being written/inked). It keeps getting better and better.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#479 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

View Postamphibian, on 13 April 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 April 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

OP Ep 91 spoiler

Spoiler

I was going to say something relevant, but then got sucked into looking at the entire list of anime episodes. You've SO MUCH more to go and it's all terrific. Four hundred and fifty-one episodes to catch up to as of right now!

I'm proud to live in a world where this show is on the air (and the manga being written/inked). It keeps getting better and better.

Indeed, I feel kind of like how I did when I was reading the early Dresden books....I love that there's so much to look fwd to...but I'm afraid of catching up and having to wait week to week.

But yeah, the writing is amazing.

Funnily enough with all other manga slowly on the decline in Japan...professors are attempting to figure out what makes ONE PIECE so popular still after all this time, since its latest two trades sold 4 million copies each. It apparently sells as consistently as manga did 10 years ago.

Article here: http://kotaku.com/59...loves-one-piece

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

#480 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I used to love Anime (back in the 90s). But once it became mainstream and mostly drawn with computers and they started bringing everything over no matter how bad I just lost interest.
Stuff I really like/liked. There were tons of others I enjoyed but I've long forgotten them.

Akira
Ghost in the Shell, Innocence, Solid State Society, Stand Alone Complex
Appleseed (original, and 2.0 reboot and sequel)
Battle Angel Alita
Record of Lodoss War [original series] - for some reason Malazan reminds me of Lodoss
Blue Seed (i'd likely hate it now)
3x3 Eyes (i'd likely hate it now)
Vampire Hunter D

For manga I still have...

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
Vagabond
Battle Angel Alita

I have no idea why I just am not interested in most manga/anime anymore. It's really mainstream and widely available now but nothing really interests me. Last one I tried was Basilisk...but it was so damn cheesy I could not take it serious. I started reading manga 20+ years ago thanks for Dark Horse comics when they started publishing it. I'm sure there will be something out there that will blow me away again.

AKIRA is still mind-blowing (both manga and movie and soundtrack) to this day. Nothing can top it in my book!

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

38 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 38 guests, 0 anonymous users