• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#61 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 June 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

View Postadjutant stormy, on 06 June 2011 - 06:24 AM, said:

...I enjoy anime, and find Death Note to be a terrible show. ...

Oh good, it's not just me.

I don't get the love for DNote. I watched about six eps and found it predictable, poorly animated, and at times silly when it's hamhandedly trying to be clever.

^^This.

You gave it longer than I did sir. I bailed after 3 eps.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#62 User is offline   Mott 

• High Marshall, Dinosaur Hunter, Lunapict
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

I liked it, though I think the manga was better done, my main gripe is the ending, which is...annoying to say the least. And yeah the hardcore fans are extremely trying at times.
Mottfather, who art in chat, hallowed be thy name, thy empire come, thy magic be done, on wu as it is in warren. give us this day our daily cahpters, and forgive us our timeline, as we forgive yours, lead us not into goodkind, but deliver us from ayn rand, for thine is the series, the epic, the glory, I<3WJ ~ Obdi and GH

#63 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on 07 June 2011 - 04:29 PM, said:

@ Silencer:

You have contracted a disease! Look even your avatar has changed!

My god man turn back before it's too late!

@Illy:

A short time between now and when you'll be buying an animal costume and going to "parties" late at night with other animal costumed people.

I think it's far, far too late already, DW. :) The avatar change is just the latest physical manifestation of a psychological condition that is now incredibly deeply rooted. >.<

Interesting how many of you dislike Death Note! It's obviously a bit polarizing. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#64 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

View PostSilencer, on 07 June 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

I think it's far, far too late already, DW. :) The avatar change is just the latest physical manifestation of a psychological condition that is now incredibly deeply rooted. >.<

The interesting thing is he reacted a lot more violently to me for liking a manga with a main character that's probably the closest thing we'll get to Karsa Orlong (just human, and having gone through more shit than Toc the Younger) than you liking a (mediocre) series about Poor bastard stalkee, Captain Fabulous, Data's little sister, Fanboy Bait with the mind of a six year old and a deeply unpleasant title character kids in high school (yeah, I said it). Methinks he doth protest too much?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#65 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:05 AM

Illy you seem the more resistant type which means more effort must be deployed to save you from the dismal hell you're going to, besides I can't always post this picture (no matter how awesome it is)

Attached File(s)

The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#66 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:29 AM

Ah, your mistake is thinking Berserk is like all the other horrible mangos out there. Allow me to persuade you otherwise.

This, is Berserk. (spoilered for not worksafe, which is most of what Guts (the main character) does in this mango)

Spoiler

Yes, it might be an outlier. But that doesn't mean it's not worth saving from the horrible fires that will consume most of Japan's entertainment industry when the revolution comes.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 08 June 2011 - 04:30 AM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#67 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:05 AM

I'll admit that I'm impressed at the amount of actual work that went into that (normally the action would just be straight lines).
Still the daiklaive (huge sword) set off alarm bells, as did the small group of youngsters.

I hereby declare "Berserk" a Class 1 Sacrilege (1 being the least and the scale has no end point since it can always get worse). Continued regular exposure with expressed "like" will lead to corruption over time. Possibility of reclamation (being saved) greater than 60%.

For comparison Evangelion would be a Class 47 Sacrilege.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#68 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

Evangelion is a hit or miss thing. It missed so drastically for me that I have a tough time understanding what's so appealing about it, but I can respect why people like it. It's like an anime version of Donaldson's Gap series.

I also refuse to watch anything like Haruhi or whatever it is.

I like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL and Witch Hunter Robin. But the best anime series I have ever seen is One Piece. It's the finest at making everything matter - little references to past events, faithfulness to character development, cool scenes, excellent concepts and animation, witty/meaningful dialogue and interactions between characters and freakin' bonkers fight scenes all reward careful viewers.

I already believe I know what the One Piece is and how the story will end, but the twists and turns it'll take in the years before it gets there cannot be anticipated and will doubtlessly remain amusing and continue to combine Western and Eastern pop culture, mythologies and food.

Basically I think Eichiro Oda is one of the smartest and best storytellers out there - on a par with David Simon and David Chase.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#69 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

Well, we obviously occupy the complete opposite ends of the anime spectrum.

One Piece makes me want to punch babies. After I tear my eyes out, and bludgeon someone to death with them dangling on their optic nerves like a squishy flail.

Also, the creator has admitted that the show will end on episode 1000. THAT'S RIDICULOUS.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#70 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 June 2011 - 11:50 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 07 June 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

The interesting thing is he reacted a lot more violently to me for liking a manga with a main character that's probably the closest thing we'll get to Karsa Orlong (just human, and having gone through more shit than Toc the Younger) than you liking a (mediocre) series about Poor bastard stalkee, Captain Fabulous, Data's little sister, Fanboy Bait with the mind of a six year old and a deeply unpleasant title character kids in high school (yeah, I said it). Methinks he doth protest too much?

Not a fan? Aside from your atrocious characterization, I believe half the point is mocking the concept of 'Anime set in a high school'. XD

But yeah, I think DW is a secret Otaku. >.>

View Postamphibian, on 08 June 2011 - 06:53 AM, said:

Evangelion is a hit or miss thing. It missed so drastically for me that I have a tough time understanding what's so appealing about it, but I can respect why people like it. It's like an anime version of Donaldson's Gap series.

I also refuse to watch anything like Haruhi or whatever it is.

I like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL and Witch Hunter Robin. But the best anime series I have ever seen is One Piece. It's the finest at making everything matter - little references to past events, faithfulness to character development, cool scenes, excellent concepts and animation, witty/meaningful dialogue and interactions between characters and freakin' bonkers fight scenes all reward careful viewers.

I already believe I know what the One Piece is and how the story will end, but the twists and turns it'll take in the years before it gets there cannot be anticipated and will doubtlessly remain amusing and continue to combine Western and Eastern pop culture, mythologies and food.

Basically I think Eichiro Oda is one of the smartest and best storytellers out there - on a par with David Simon and David Chase.

Interesting. I just looked at the Tropes page for One Piece. My God, that thing is troperiffic! It has like 6 alphabetically separated pages for Tropes! O.o

Any particular reason you dislike things like tMoHS? Just curious...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#71 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

one piece is definetly the better of the big three, but it still shounen, and i cant stand it.

#72 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

View Postadjutant stormy, on 08 June 2011 - 08:24 AM, said:

Well, we obviously occupy the complete opposite ends of the anime spectrum.

One Piece makes me want to punch babies. After I tear my eyes out, and bludgeon someone to death with them dangling on their optic nerves like a squishy flail.

Also, the creator has admitted that the show will end on episode 1000. THAT'S RIDICULOUS.

Are you watching the subtitled in English, Japanese original? If not, then perhaps the 4Kids bastardization fouled up the experience for you.

It may appear childish at times, but there's genuinely awesome and inventive storytelling going on at every moment in that show. The gigantic Tropes page is in part because it has a massive fanbase who loves putting things up online about it and in part because it plays around with and subverts just about every stereotype and trope it can.

Given how the first 500 episodes of One Piece went, getting to episode 1000 shouldn't be a grind at all. It's been a fantastic voyage with very little stalling and there is quite a bit to explore before the final 30 or so episodes wrap everything up. They still have the Mermaid Island, dealing with the Yonkou, Blackbeard and Luffy's revenge, Zoro beating Mihawk, Robin finding the One Piece, Boa Hancock finally getting Luffy to pay attention, the demolition of the World Government, the re-discovery of Sabo and whatever crazy, but workable story arcs Oda comes up with.

I won't watch Haruhi because I have never ever seen a good "school" anime, don't like the gimmick shows that drag on too long (see House becoming a parody of itself) and I have little to no interest in any soap opera-like banalities of high school or keeping women happy.

#73 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

View Postamphibian, on 08 June 2011 - 06:53 AM, said:

Indeed true. Half the people I recommend it to think I'm nuts and don't like it, and the other half think it's brilliant. A very polarizing show indeed.

For me it's brilliance doesn't even really lay in the characters or even the setting. The philosophy, religion and apocrypha contained in it (mostly showcased in the movies, not as much in the series) melts my brain every time. I also used to have major issues with my father, so I suppose that part of me identified with Shinji's search for approval from Gendo,which likely also adds to my like of it. Since I watched most of it so many years ago now, the rebuild movies as they come out are bigtime nostalgia for me, I just hope they don't wimp out on the proper (End Of Eva) ending.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#74 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

I like Evangelion's symbology and mis-direction, but the original series does irk me with its jumping-around between absolute seriousness and slapstick humour. The gratuitous butt shots and partial nudity of the captain character get annoying, too. OTOH it has a penguin....

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#75 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

View PostD, on 08 June 2011 - 06:29 PM, said:

I like Evangelion's symbology and mis-direction, but the original series does irk me with its jumping-around between absolute seriousness and slapstick humour. The gratuitous butt shots and partial nudity of the captain character get annoying, too. OTOH it has a penguin....

PenPen!

Yeah, the fanservice...of Misato of all people and how they keep using that shot of her drinking beer and going "waaaaahoooo" got annoying. I think it only worked because we are meant to be seeing these things from Shinji's POV..and he's a pervy 14-year old.

Indeed the movie keeps the serious tone more...and is why I prefer it to the series.

#76 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

I am not at all an anime fan, but am currently re-watching Black Lagoon, which was being launched while i was in Japan in 2006. It's only two seasons of 12 eps each and light on the filler material, although if you've seen Cowboy Bebop you'll recognize a lot of that series in this one. Only, Cowboy Bebop is better.

As a severe downside, it does pack the archetype of the Girl with Gun tv-trope.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#77 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on 08 June 2011 - 05:05 AM, said:

I'll admit that I'm impressed at the amount of actual work that went into that (normally the action would just be straight lines).
Still the daiklaive (huge sword) set off alarm bells, as did the small group of youngsters.

I hereby declare "Berserk" a Class 1 Sacrilege (1 being the least and the scale has no end point since it can always get worse). Continued regular exposure with expressed "like" will lead to corruption over time. Possibility of reclamation (being saved) greater than 60%.

For comparison Evangelion would be a Class 47 Sacrilege.

It's funny you say that about the former, as Berserk first came out in 1990 (prototyped in 1988 according to wikipedia) and was ridiculously popular (the art improvement is phenomenal, seriously) so most of the huge twohanded swords you see in terrible series nowadays are because of Berserk's influence. Even if they miss out on the actual mechanics of swinging something that large around (seriously if you look at the pages you can see his feet shift and his stance change to accommodate the ricockulous mass of the sword) and fail to give a sufficiently brutal backstory to justify it (I'll write a summary one day but I'll just say that Guts has had the hardest life, full stop, no your other character hasn't had it as bad), you're marking down the cliche starter for having the best example of the cliche it started.

Sadly the second part is true, even if a sign of character development from the majority of the series towards the more recent chapters that Guts isn't full on revenge any more, but I think there's a secret council of Japanese creators or 'mangaka' (pronounced the same way as Ulrika in Shooting Stars, ULRI-KA-KA-KA-KA-KA) that try to enforce that sort of thing, that sort of uniquely Japan idea. Most of those characters are going to die, though. Just saying.

Also my brother is being a dickbitch and refusing to help me suggest mangos you guys would like (seriously he knows a shitton more about this shit and is the reason I know as much as I do) but he did stop to say, and I paraphrase and slightly edit: (Illybro) "One Piece is the best shonen, the anime is a piece of ass that has too much filler and held shots and you're better off reading the actual manga, Advance of the Giants is the best technical 'shonen' that's too bloody and full of people eating to count as a shonen and potentially a fantastic manga once the art picks up, it's already the number 4 bestselling manga in Japan behind One Piece (good), Gantz (brutal) and Naruto (abortion) which is amazing considering it's the mangaka's first manga. The first half of Death Note is good and the rest crap. Stop watching anime, read the manga. Except Cowboy Bebop, watch that. And Gintama, except you won't get the jokes. OK I told you already I'm not doing any more, you generous and exceptionally quality brother of mine. Oh, and Illy is a very funny and witty gentlemen with many friends and no venereal diseases whatsoever." Dickbitch.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 08 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

#78 User is offline   Mason of Death 

• Corporal

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

No one has mentioned Gintama yet? Well, I lived in Japan for 13 years, so I get all the jokes where other people don't I guess. But that series is one frakking hilarious thing after another. No overarching plot at all though, so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere.
Beserk also rules. Guts and Cloud Strife were the very first of the huge sword guys, and between the two of them, Guts kicks way more ass. Not really like Karsa though, not sure who said that upthread.
I also read Gantz, though it sends my weirdometer into the red on some occasions. I think it's very refreshing that it kills characters.
Funny though, I don't seem to have the addction that everyone seems to be so afraid of. I have no need to seek out other anime/manga other than the ones I read/watch already, and I can wait for the new ones to come out quite patiently. Then again, I've recommended some to people that have gone way over the top, so maybe I'm the typhoid mary.
How can I possibly put a new idea into your heads, if I do not first remove your delusions? -R.A. Heinlein

#79 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:34 AM

Other than the five or six Luffy as a samurai episodes, what filler has the One Piece anime put out? Everything mattered. Even the Afro/Foxy battle ended up influencing how Luffy interacted with Hancock.

Geez, I respect your brother's breadth of knowledge, but he's wrong about this one.

#80 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

I'll weigh in. Despite living in Japan, I don't have much to do with anime to be honest. I've watched the majority of the Miyazaki movies (and those should not be on any level of darkwatch's scale). I enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin back in college, but the episodes after the Kyoto arc are a complete waste - I don't understand why they did those made for TV nonsense rather than do the Enishi arc, which is pretty good in the manga.

I'm just starting to read One Piece now, we'll see how that goes. It's only the most popular series in Japan right now, so it makes sense to check it out.

Evangelion was a complete miss for me, until the re-released movies, which are awesome. Series - bleah, movies - great.

The most recent thing I've watched was Samurai Champloo, sometime last year. That was fun, but I didn't like the ending. Death Note was all right. Cowboy Bebop was awesome, and the soundtrak is worth a buy for any fan of jazz.

The odd thing, I've never heard of that witchhunter thing Silencer is talking about - maybe it's like Cowboy Bebop- which was a success abroad but NO ONE knows it here.

Basically my wife rules the TV here, so for the most part I just dont bother to watch anime (or download it).
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users