• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#81 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

View PostShinrei, on 09 June 2011 - 11:57 AM, said:

The odd thing, I've never heard of that witchhunter thing Silencer is talking about - maybe it's like Cowboy Bebop- which was a success abroad but NO ONE knows it here.

Basically my wife rules the TV here, so for the most part I just dont bother to watch anime (or download it).

Nah, it was pretty much not 'successful' by any significant margin anywhere. It managed to make it to English dub status, and a couple of boxset releases, but I'm pretty sure it's fairly low-key. Moderately obsessive small fanbase, which is mostly dying out now due to it being several years old and no new content (due to, well, not having a new season, and no movie, obviously), so it's not surprising you haven't heard of it.

Still, good stuff. You need to remedy the lack of TV control. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#82 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Watching Rambo right now. WOMAN CAN'T CHANGE THE CHANNEL FROM RAMBO!....err... cause she's visiting her parents and not here... :)
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#83 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

View Postamphibian, on 09 June 2011 - 01:34 AM, said:

Other than the five or six Luffy as a samurai episodes, what filler has the One Piece anime put out? Everything mattered. Even the Afro/Foxy battle ended up influencing how Luffy interacted with Hancock.

Geez, I respect your brother's breadth of knowledge, but he's wrong about this one.

OK, now he's awake again I've grabbed him for quite a bit longer this time.

(Illybro)

The Warship Island, Goat Island, Rainbow Mist, G-8, Ocean's Dream, Ice Hunter, and Spa Island arcs are all non-canon filler not in the manga. Your example of the Davy Back Fight is actually in the manga, though it's stretched out by a few filler episodes, the same kind which are also stuck in across the rest of the series. None of the movies except Movie 10, Strong World, are meant to tie into the plot anyway and only that one was written by Oda - the rest just had character design and a few other things done by him. Out of all of the filler arcs G-8 is probably the best.

The quality of the anime drops significantly around the Enies Lobby arc. Yeah, there are some good episodes with great animation, mostly the big fights, but the lull episodes recap half the previous episode really obviously just stretching out material and it suffers for it. Then you get to the Impel Down arc and the Marineford arc and you see the lull episode animators are back and ruining all the awesome scenes there. Basically just read the manga.

The 4kids dub is a fucking tragedy, it ruined One Piece's reputation over in America and no-one gives a shit about the UK market so the US is stuck with Naruto and Bleach for popular shonen and they suck. No, they do. Naruto had a good start with Zabusa and Haki, short tight action and reaction using actual tactics which was cool, and then it started getting shit, fights being decided on what bullshit powers the other guy had and if they had magic eyes or not. Following a timeskip, which the anime decided was a perfect time to stretch out enough time to let the mangaka get ahead with chapters by airing OVER A FUCKING YEAR OF FILLER, the characters are even worse (with one exception)! The plot bullshit is even worse! The Sasuke fangirling DARKNESS is fucking even fucking worse! Also Kishimoto is a horrible sexist, Sakura is a cringing puddle of rubbish and SASUKE-KUN who can do nothing cool what-so-ever, the only other major female characters are a wet blanket with the character trait of fancies Naruto, a huge-titted token female 'badass' who loses all her fights despite not being handicapped like the other two of her 'badass trio', a housewife who got pregnant and various types of 'Wow you're so cool' useless bystanders. Oh, and Tenten, whose face is in the dictionary next to 'utterly fucking worthless'. Kishimoto seems to have decided to do the opposite of whatever good storytelling is, but he's still not perfected it yet, which is why he has characters like Killer Bee. He's the exception I meant, because he's a black guy in an anime who beat the shit out of Sasuke and I'll love him forever. Also he raps terribly which might be as stereotypical as most of Japan views black guys but Sasuke, asskicking, forgiveness.

And Bleach? Oh man, Bleach is shit of the highest order. Training arc followed by rescue arc followed by training arc followed by rescue arc followed by training arc followed by speculation on who's getting kidnapped and needing to be rescued next. No backgrounds, bullshit powerups out the ass, horrible unlikable characters, character derailment of the ones we actually liked at the start (five ambulances vs THIS ISN'T THE WAY I WANTED TO WIN), pretentious psuedodeep dialogue (THE HEART), screentime based on how popular you are (young boy captain who is canon the weakest captain and beaten like a bitch every time, but the fangirls love him. Sales are down, bring in Hitsugaya!). There's the occasional good idea in there sometimes but it's drowned out by the waterfall of bullshit spewing from Kubo's mouth all the time.

OK, non-shonen? Evangelion had the original 26 episode series out back in 1995/6 or so on 13 two-ep VHS tapes, which you borrowed off your friend to watch oh no Illy, I'm doing this thing for you so you write that shit down while I'm reading the screen [I: Fucker! I was 13!] HAHAHAHAHA but yeah, that's when I saw a bunch of them, and while it was interesting at first it quickly became very stupid, mostly when they ran out of money. There's an interview with Anno where he flat out states he pulled most of the Christian imagery out of his ass, as well. I saw (fitting in after episode 24 of the original series) Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion afterwards and you know those flashing handwritten letters in EoE? Those were death threats written to Anno after 25 and 26 came out. Well, I hope they were happy with EoE! Also watch the Rebuild OVAs, they are amazing also Shinji has a spine.

Hellsing, batshit crazy manga, mediocre anime made before the manga finished, excellent OVA series being made as we speak, Nazi Vampires fighting very British vampire hunters, French mercenaries and Dracula (his name's Alucard, it is not a big reveal) (oh, and if anyone you know calls him 'Arucard' for whatever reason hit them in the face) [I: If they do it because 'That's how they say it in Japan' PUNCH THEM IN THE DICK FOR BEING TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND NAMES] also there is a priest called Father Anderson who the Catholic Church could do with in real life.

Melancholy's great, Disappearance is better, Illy is a big fat stupidface for not liking it [I: Look dude, I tried an episode and I wanted to punch the title character in the face forever. I gave it my best shot.] Still a stupidface. Anyway, I'm outta here, tell them about Yotsuba in the meantime!

Dickbitch. (he's gone now)

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 09 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#84 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 08 June 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:

Stop watching anime, read the manga. Except Cowboy Bebop, watch that. And Gintama, except you won't get the jokes.

I really don't care about reading any manga. To me it is just more graphic novels, albeit in a particular style.

Anime, OTOH, is very different from other TV/movies in that western media has a general bias of animated tv/movies being oriented for kids. So if you want to see anything thought-provoking, adult, etc, it is all live-action and thus constrained by real-worldly possibilities and/or its CG budget. Anime doesn't have the kid-oriented bias and can explore original thought-provoking, adult ideas but with the ability to do much more visually (for cheaper) than the live-action stuff, and so the wide slew of concepts and stories I can get out of anime is different from what I can get elsewhere in the same medium.

Manga vs graphic novels - not so much. Not that I'm really into either, but if I were I could just as easily read Sandman than a manga.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#85 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

I think some things suit Manga better whilst others are better adapted in animation

Claymore for example is much more fulfilling storywise in Manga format whilst
Mangas like Baccano I enjoyed 100 times more in animated format.

Its a balancing act difficult to get right whether it be anime or common
western animation.

For those not familiar with Claymore:

Spoiler

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#86 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Yeah, it's a give and take. Anime certainly has several benefits, being a moving medium with voice actors. It's different to literature vs film, I think, in that manga is *already* illustrated, and so essentially what is happening is scenes are getting filled in and brought to life that way, rather than created from scratch going from the adapter's personal mental images.

But, just like literature-to-film, some things don't transfer over well, I'm sure. Then again, these days it's becoming difficult to tell which medium came first for a specific series. :S

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#87 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

Plus anime has things like actual colors (other than black, white or gray).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#88 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

Hah, thread bump.

Anyone here watched 'Full Metal Panic!'?

Shinrei said:

#89 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

View PostSilencer, on 04 July 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

Hah, thread bump.

in my mind, it was soo bad it was good.

#90 User is offline   Mr.James 

• Architectalis

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

a plea for the anime savvy people here :no
I recently got a decent amount of shows from my friend, and since I have limited experience in Anime I was hoping some one here can tell which is good and which is bad
so the shows I got are :

-Code Geass
-Angel Beats
-Basilisk
-Death Note
-Durarara
-Ergo Proxy
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Golden Boy
-Hell Girl
-Robin Witch Hunter
-Samurai 7
-Trinity Blood
-Midori No Hibi
-Helsing

Now the only Animes I've ever seen are Soul Eater and Claymore which I really enjoyed...so if anyone can provide some advice it would be really appreciated :p Posted Image
When a man lies he murders
Some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which
Men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear
To witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation
Take me home
'James

#91 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 04 July 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 04 July 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

Hah, thread bump.

in my mind, it was soo bad it was good.

Yeah, FMP! is totally worth watching for comedic value alone. It's a blast to watch. Kind of like Azumanga Daioh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#92 User is offline   sappers rule 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:love reading

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

I have been watching anime for a bit now and here are some that i liked

Code geas
full metal alchemist(brotherhood only other one crap)
detictive conan
tiger and bunny
sket dance
bue exoricist
inazuma eleven
beezelbub
fairy tail
bakuman
deadman wonderland
nurarihyon no mago
tornada

these are all really good animes plus there are alot of kinds like sports detictive comody action dark drama supernatural etc.

U have to watch code geas brill stratet anime plus dark tornada really well done rom com loved it bakuman if u want to find out how to make mangas

all the above are brilll animes so watch plz chose one if interested

#93 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 08 June 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:

View PostDarkwatch, on 08 June 2011 - 05:05 AM, said:

I'll admit that I'm impressed at the amount of actual work that went into that (normally the action would just be straight lines).
Still the daiklaive (huge sword) set off alarm bells, as did the small group of youngsters.

I hereby declare "Berserk" a Class 1 Sacrilege (1 being the least and the scale has no end point since it can always get worse). Continued regular exposure with expressed "like" will lead to corruption over time. Possibility of reclamation (being saved) greater than 60%.

For comparison Evangelion would be a Class 47 Sacrilege.

It's funny you say that about the former, as Berserk first came out in 1990 (prototyped in 1988 according to wikipedia) and was ridiculously popular (the art improvement is phenomenal, seriously) so most of the huge twohanded swords you see in terrible series nowadays are because of Berserk's influence. Even if they miss out on the actual mechanics of swinging something that large around (seriously if you look at the pages you can see his feet shift and his stance change to accommodate the ricockulous mass of the sword) and fail to give a sufficiently brutal backstory to justify it (I'll write a summary one day but I'll just say that Guts has had the hardest life, full stop, no your other character hasn't had it as bad), you're marking down the cliche starter for having the best example of the cliche it started.

Sadly the second part is true, even if a sign of character development from the majority of the series towards the more recent chapters that Guts isn't full on revenge any more, but I think there's a secret council of Japanese creators or 'mangaka' (pronounced the same way as Ulrika in Shooting Stars, ULRI-KA-KA-KA-KA-KA) that try to enforce that sort of thing, that sort of uniquely Japan idea. Most of those characters are going to die, though. Just saying.

Also my brother is being a dickbitch and refusing to help me suggest mangos you guys would like (seriously he knows a shitton more about this shit and is the reason I know as much as I do) but he did stop to say, and I paraphrase and slightly edit: (Illybro) "One Piece is the best shonen, the anime is a piece of ass that has too much filler and held shots and you're better off reading the actual manga, Advance of the Giants is the best technical 'shonen' that's too bloody and full of people eating to count as a shonen and potentially a fantastic manga once the art picks up, it's already the number 4 bestselling manga in Japan behind One Piece (good), Gantz (brutal) and Naruto (abortion) which is amazing considering it's the mangaka's first manga. The first half of Death Note is good and the rest crap. Stop watching anime, read the manga. Except Cowboy Bebop, watch that. And Gintama, except you won't get the jokes. OK I told you already I'm not doing any more, you generous and exceptionally quality brother of mine. Oh, and Illy is a very funny and witty gentlemen with many friends and no venereal diseases whatsoever." Dickbitch.

As I have said multiple times on this board, the manga is nearly always just immensely much better than the anime. Thereby, I declare that your brother is not an idiot.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#94 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 July 2011 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostMr.James, on 04 July 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

a plea for the anime savvy people here :p
I recently got a decent amount of shows from my friend, and since I have limited experience in Anime I was hoping some one here can tell which is good and which is bad
so the shows I got are :

-Code Geass
-Angel Beats
-Basilisk
-Death Note
-Durarara
-Ergo Proxy
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Golden Boy
-Hell Girl
-Robin Witch Hunter
-Samurai 7
-Trinity Blood
-Midori No Hibi
-Helsing

Now the only Animes I've ever seen are Soul Eater and Claymore which I really enjoyed...so if anyone can provide some advice it would be really appreciated :no Posted Image

Samurai 7 is the only one of those Ive watched and I thought it was really cool, give it a go.

Ergo Proxy we discussed a bit further back in the thread - I'm of the opinion that the first 4 episodes are very intriguing but it gets profoundly tedious and uninteresting afterwards, but not everyone agrees on that.

Witch Hunter Robin has been given a positive review across this thread.

Hellsing is okay, some people really like it some people don't. It doesn't have any glaring technical flaws but you'll have to see for yourself if you find the story and characters interesting. I thought it was so-so.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#95 User is offline   Mr.James 

• Architectalis

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

mmm well thanks guys :p

sadly I found out that I am missing a large chunk of Samurai 7 episodes so it will have to wait until I 'procure' them from the interwebz :no

and I did see Helsing since I first posted, and while I found it's concept and characters -well actually only Alucard- to be interesting, I though the way they ended it was rather weak and somehow rushed with a rather unconvincing and time-convenient villain and left quite alot of points satisfyingly unanswered. But I found out that there is another version called Helsing Ultimate that stays true to the manga so I think I'll have a look into that.

guess my next target is either Robin Witch hunter or Code Geass...hmmm
Some part of the world
Men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear
To witness any longer
Take me home
'James

#96 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

Mr. James, Full Metal Alchemist is a freaking epic series. And what is even more cool is that the manga and anime have different endings, so you can do both!

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#97 User is offline   Mr.James 

• Architectalis

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Sindriss and BK.
I'm gonna put FMA on my next-to-watch since I started Code Geass and It seems fairly interesting. I also got hold of Yu-gi-oh! (the first series with the original Yugi not the new ones,GX or whatever) so I guess I'll have a look into it.
also gotta look up Last Exile!
Some part of the world
Men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear
To witness any longer
Take me home
'James

#98 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

New feature over at the site will have Anime news and assorted info or reviews one Wednesday a month. Check it out!

http://icebergink.bl...esday-july.html
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#99 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Oh god. this meme NEVER gets old.

Here it's done about Eva Rebuild 2.0. Hilarious!! WARNING: Fanboyish guesses/maybe spoilers for 3.0 as something happens to a character that no one was expecting in 2.0. If you want to be fresh, don't watch.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

#100 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

Watched FMP (and Fumoffu? and The Second Raid, ofc). Pretty fun, actually. I quite enjoyed it. Which concerns me even more, 'cuz it's a bit more 'anime' again. Heh. Ah well. It brings me happiness.

Doing a rewatch, then I'll either move onto the Rebuild of Eva stuff, or one other series QT just recco'd for me. Got unlimited 'net here, so bandwidth isn't a problem! Though I'm still thinking I should buy the released Haruhi stuff, not just the novels, 'cuz I liked it so much. It's wonderful. I like it more than WHR, and I bought that. It'll put a dent in the wallet, though, and I'm on holiday spending large already. :S

Still, applying my principle more often would be nice (of buying things I like but have seen without paying for). :D

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users