• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#41 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

I didn't see this topic before because I was at an anime convention.

I'm such a nerd.

Anyway, QuickTidal is right about Rebuild. I'd already watched the series of Evangelion and the End Of movie, but just saw Rebuild parts 1 and 2 at the con this weekend. They're awesome. Especially on the big screen.

One of the first animes I watched was Elfen Lied. It was instrumental in dispelling the idea that animated stuff is for kids.

I also really like Ergo Proxy. It's weird, but good.

I just saw Paprika and loved it. Trippy and creepy.

Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorites. Has lighter moments, but can get really serious. Samurai Champloo is from the same author I think? It's a bit lighter in tone most of the time.

Rurouni Kenshin is kinda hit or miss. It also kinda loses steam after the Shishio arc. The Samurai X OVA's are amazing, though.

Fullmetal Alchemist has its up and down moments. It can be a bit... kiddy... at times, but parts can be really dark.

Just started watching Gundam Wing, and so far it's really good.

Anything Miyazaki is great, in my experience.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#42 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostKanese S, on 01 June 2011 - 08:12 AM, said:

I didn't see this topic before because I was at an anime convention.

I'm such a nerd.

Anyway, QuickTidal is right about Rebuild. I'd already watched the series of Evangelion and the End Of movie, but just saw Rebuild parts 1 and 2 at the con this weekend. They're awesome. Especially on the big screen.

One of the first animes I watched was Elfen Lied. It was instrumental in dispelling the idea that animated stuff is for kids.

I also really like Ergo Proxy. It's weird, but good.

I just saw Paprika and loved it. Trippy and creepy.

Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorites. Has lighter moments, but can get really serious. Samurai Champloo is from the same author I think? It's a bit lighter in tone most of the time.

Rurouni Kenshin is kinda hit or miss. It also kinda loses steam after the Shishio arc. The Samurai X OVA's are amazing, though.

Fullmetal Alchemist has its up and down moments. It can be a bit... kiddy... at times, but parts can be really dark.

Just started watching Gundam Wing, and so far it's really good.

Anything Miyazaki is great, in my experience.

were you at anime north this weekend?

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

Whoa, I missed Anime North?

Bugger dammit! I work down the effing road man!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 01 June 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

were you at anime north this weekend?

Nah, I was at fanimecon.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#45 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

Alright, now I'm annoyed.

Two full 'seasons' of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. And one movie (which, incidentally, WAS FREAKING GOOD - I could probably gush for half a page, but that would involve copious spoilers as to make said gushing nigh-unreadable to most of you). And now...now? NOW I AM OUT OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA TO CONSUME. FUCK.

I'm seriously in a spiraling withdrawal cycle right now. It was pretty bad after I finished WHR, and that was partially averted by re-watching things a lot, and getting my favourite seasons of Doctor Who to watch. But now...now I'm screwed. I mean, seriously, I have exams in less than a week, and my time is completely taken up by either watching individual tMoHS episodes again, or cruising the TV Tropes page for the series. While listening to the collected soundtrack/character image songs. And IT'S NOT ENOUGH. I WANT MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit! Where is season three?!?!??! Where are the translated light novels BEYOND THE SCOPE OF THE ANIME? They're like...only just up to Disappearance in novel-form! ARGH!

This is killing me. And I'm trying to balance it out with more WHR/tMoHS rewatching...but this is really distracting me worse than if I had another season to watch or something. Procrastination OVERWHELMING.

Fuck.

/rant.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#46 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostSilencer, on 05 June 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

Two full 'seasons' of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. And one movie (which, incidentally, WAS FREAKING GOOD - I could probably gush for half a page, but that would involve copious spoilers as to make said gushing nigh-unreadable to most of you). And now...now? NOW I AM OUT OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA TO CONSUME. FUCK.

I'm seriously in a spiraling withdrawal cycle right now. It was pretty bad after I finished WHR, and that was partially averted by re-watching things a lot, and getting my favourite seasons of Doctor Who to watch. But now...now I'm screwed. I mean, seriously, I have exams in less than a week, and my time is completely taken up by either watching individual tMoHS episodes again, or cruising the TV Tropes page for the series. While listening to the collected soundtrack/character image songs. And IT'S NOT ENOUGH. I WANT MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit! Where is season three?!?!??! Where are the translated light novels BEYOND THE SCOPE OF THE ANIME? They're like...only just up to Disappearance in novel-form! ARGH!

This is killing me. And I'm trying to balance it out with more WHR/tMoHS rewatching...but this is really distracting me worse than if I had another season to watch or something. Procrastination OVERWHELMING.

Fuck.

/rant.

this is why i avoid watching new anime series when exams/midterms are near. Il rewatch series occasionaly during those times since i already know what will happen there isnt this whole (I NEED TO SEE MORE) thing.

#47 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

@silencer. im gonna play devils advocate and recommend rorouni kenshin. Both movies will entertain you. Try sword of the stranger while your at it. Its a good example of fresh story telling and very fluid animation. Samurai champloo is also worth a mention in that regard. Cant think of a better mix really. Samurai theme aside you could also enjoy ghost in the shell, but thats really a hit or miss show. Lastly canaan. I hate the support characters but canaan herself is quite an original and likable character. All these are finished extremely well. They should cut the edge off while u wait :-)
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#48 User is offline   Mott 

• High Marshall, Dinosaur Hunter, Lunapict

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

I'm trying to pace myself at the moment, which isn't too hard with work getting in the way still I can see your predicament I was like that after I watched Fruits Basket all those years ago. You could give Death Note a try, it has a completely different feel but it is extremely good.
Mottfather, who art in chat, hallowed be thy name, thy empire come, thy magic be done, on wu as it is in warren. give us this day our daily cahpters, and forgive us our timeline, as we forgive yours, lead us not into goodkind, but deliver us from ayn rand, for thine is the series, the epic, the glory, I<3WJ ~ Obdi and GH

#49 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:06 AM

Fuck.

/rant.

Ah, I feel your pain, been through that on a couple series. My Baccano! withdrawal was even worse, though, because they never made more than a season! All that potential set up and possible follow-on material and I *knew* I would never see it. -_-

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#50 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:10 AM

Tried watching Blue Gender today, but the American media castrated it (took out all of the mature content) and then dubbed it.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#51 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:51 AM

Blue Gender relevant:

Attached File  Anime fans got served.png (113.38K)
Number of downloads: 0

Also I'm going to confer with my younger brother (who is my go-to guy for animus and mangos) and between the two of us we'll try to compose a list of what's not awful and what's setting the woman's rights movement back a hundred years. (quick tester, there's a 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% that is it's set in a high school it's atrocious tripe, and yet there's more than one school-setting animu that isn't terrible. THAT'S HOW MANY THERE ARE)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#52 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

personaly if you're not sure what to watch, id try death note. People who aren't into anime love it, so you can't really go wrong.
t

#53 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

<RANT>

/rant.

Honestly, I got so completely and utterly frustrated waiting for new seasons of stuff to come out, I just started reading the translated manga. Which, I discovered, I can read conveniently on my phone from anywhere.

UNFORTUNATELY - this means that I am now caught up on all of those. And most of them are monthly issues (and some of them are even less frequent).

If you've never experienced this feeling before, imagine for the moment, that instead of a two-volume wrap up for the series, he put out 15-30 pages a month. NOW THAT'S FRUSTRATION.

Also, Death Note is enjoyed by people who don't like anime (which does not mean that it's something you'd enjoy if you DO watch anime).
I enjoy anime, and find Death Note to be a terrible show. That is, of course, a single data point.

This post has been edited by adjutant stormy: 06 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#54 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

View Postadjutant stormy, on 06 June 2011 - 06:24 AM, said:

<RANT>

/rant.

Honestly, I got so completely and utterly frustrated waiting for new seasons of stuff to come out, I just started reading the translated manga. Which, I discovered, I can read conveniently on my phone from anywhere.

UNFORTUNATELY - this means that I am now caught up on all of those. And most of them are monthly issues (and some of them are even less frequent).

If you've never experienced this feeling before, imagine for the moment, that instead of a two-volume wrap up for the series, he put out 15-30 pages a month. NOW THAT'S FRUSTRATION.

Also, Death Note is enjoyed by people who don't like anime (which does not mean that it's something you'd enjoy if you DO watch anime).
I enjoy anime, and find Death Note to be a terrible show. That is, of course, a single data point.

Oh, I've been through it before. Heck, this is the second time in two months. And then there has always been that issue of Awesomeness Withdrawal from various other things in the past.

I considered the manga angle, but as I said, this stuff is taken from Light Novels, and they are only up to the same place in the English translation of those as the anime. UGH. I think the one that releases on the 7th of July mostly hasn't been covered in the anime, so I might get that, but in the meantime I screwed for this particular series, unless I seriously brush up on my Japanese (I'm thinking a year's worth of high school is not enough to let me read Japanese, let alone enjoy it while doing so! XD).

At least with Witch Hunter Robin, I KNOW there will be no season three. It's over. Aside from a now-almost-certainly-dead live action adaption rumour, the end was the end, and there's no manga to go with it, either. With Haruhi Suzumiya, I know there is at least enough content for another four seasons!

Anyway, I digress. Bitching is not the purpose of this thread (though, come to think of it.... :)). Thanks for the recco's guys, I'll find one on Tropes and go from there. I've been told to read the Death Note manga (by a friend who is very into manga), but AS is right in that non-anime-watchers liking it doesn't mean anime watchers will. -_- Of course, I'm only barely in the 'watcher' category - though we can safely say I am clearly very obsessive about the shows I do watch. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#55 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

he put out 15-30 pages a month. NOW THAT'S FRUSTRATION.

(Illybro here) A month? You're lucky you get pages a month, reliably. The author of Berserk, one of if not the best manga, tends to have gaps in his issues. Like "Out May 21st, next chapter whenever! (it's September)" to the point where people joke he spends more time playing Idolmaster than drawing huge elaborate two page spreads that embarrass most other authors out there. It's been going for twenty years, and it's still great. Read it.

(Illy returns) I've read Berserk as well, and DW can go suck it, Berserk is great. Extremely NSFW but that's only a marginal issue.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#56 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

i said people who arent big into anime love it. That doesnt mean people who are into anime hate it.... Its a series that has a good reception. The fans are retards but you shouldnt let a bad fanbase get in the way of something that is genuinely good.
@stormy, what was it about DN you hated?

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 06 June 2011 - 03:10 AM, said:

Tried watching Blue Gender today, but the American media castrated it (took out all of the mature content) and then dubbed it.

Blue gender also has unnecessary japornimanudity doesn't it?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#58 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

@ Silencer:

You have contracted a disease! Look even your avatar has changed!

My god man turn back before it's too late!

@Illy:

A short time between now and when you'll be buying an animal costume and going to "parties" late at night with other animal costumed people.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#59 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 June 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

View PostGust Hubb, on 06 June 2011 - 03:10 AM, said:

Blue gender also has unnecessary japornimanudity doesn't it?

Probably, but the USA version is squeaky clean unless you count the aliens.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#60 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

...I enjoy anime, and find Death Note to be a terrible show. ...

Oh good, it's not just me.

I don't get the love for DNote. I watched about six eps and found it predictable, poorly animated, and at times silly when it's hamhandedly trying to be clever.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users