Anime

#4221 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:36 AM

New season has started so I picked up a few titles:

Tower of God seems interesting.

8th Son has the feel of an isekai that could actually be pretty wholesome.

The title of the next one eludes me but it was about a mangaka trying to hide his job from his daughter, ep 1 was fun.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4222 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, Tower of God seems to be this season's "blockbuster". Lotta people talking about Appare-ranman, too - not surprising, seems it's a PA Works original. Other big-name tickets this season seem to be Otome Game All Routes Lead to Doom, Glepnir, and Kakushigoto (the manga writer one). There's a bunch of big name sequels too - Bookworm part 2, Kaguya-sama season 2, Fruits Basket S2, Oregairu S3, and more SAO. And it seems like Sing Yesterday might be the big sleeper hit.

For me, I'm going to try and watch (in order of priority) Bookworm, Fruits Basket (if the dub is coming right away), Sing Yesterday, Otome Game, Appare-ranman, and Tower of God. And the rest of BNA when it comes out!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4223 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:44 PM

still havent gotten around to id invaded...

I did however wrap up psychopass as it all dropped for amazon prime some time ago.

Did not expect it to end that quickly but dayummm that was good.

#4224 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:43 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 06 April 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

I did however wrap up psychopass as it all dropped for amazon prime some time ago.

Did not expect it to end that quickly but dayummm that was good.

Including the First Inspector follow-up movie? I haven't seen it yet, it's supposed to cap off season 3.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4225 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

View PostD, on 06 May 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostItwæs Nom, on 06 May 2019 - 07:03 AM, said:

Hello

Never been a fan of anime except for Ghibli stuff and I've just finished Berserk aaand it's fucking great. Particularly the darkness, brutality and humanity of it. The demons and atmosphere were like straight out of a painting by Bosch.

So could anyone recommend something similar in those terms with similar setting? Also the sequels or whatever they are, are they worth the time?

Hi Nom!

That's a bit of a tall order, since Berserk is one of the most widely acclaimed manga of all time... it'd be a bit like saying "I just watched all of the best Alfred Hitchcock's movies, can you recommend some other classic psychological horror movies that are just as good?" :apt2:

That being said, I can give you one recommendation: Dororo, which is currently airing. Much like Berserk, Dororo follows a misfortuned wandering swordsman on a quest of revenge, encountering lots of hardships and suffering peasants along the way. Set in Edo Japan but with the occasional real demons showing up, this one certainly doesn't shy away from the brutality of man and ponderances about humanity.

Runner-up could be Attack on Titan, which is very popular amongst non-anime fans. It's not quite the typical fantasy/Edo setting like Berserk or Dororo, instead it's set in a bizarre world that has basic steam and gunpowder technology, but the entire world has been overrun by gigantic man-eating Titans, the last vestiges of humanity living in the one remaining walled enclave. Doesn't go as much into the humanity themes as the other two, but there's still some there, and people getting eaten by titans is consistently pretty brutal. Lots of fun plot twists, too.

If you're willing to give up the requirement of a similar setting, there's a few others that you might find very interesting: Last year's Netflix-produced Devilman Crybaby was an absurdly over-the-top adrenaline sprint of guts, gore, sex, hiphop, carnage, and the complete devolution of human philosophy. Death Parade is an anxiety-inducing introspection of human motivations and deception set in a purgatory-like afterlife where the recently deceased are judged and sent to heaven/nirvana or hell/reincarnation via bar games. Psycho-pass is a near-future sci-fi police thriller all about how to judge and control human morality, with laser guns that make people swell up and explode. Monster is a deeply unsettling urban serial killer drama/thriller that leans very heavily on themes of human nature and despair.

So watched a few shows since this

Dororo was not bad, entertaining enough to keep me watching through the whole season but nothing particularly memorable

Attack on Titan was great, like an overall top quality piece, don't think there's much to add, really looking forward to the next season and curious about what's gonna happen

Devilman Crybaby was meeeh, well except for the demon club scene, that was insanely good, rest I didn't care about or enjoyed much really, I did finish during one of my hours long bus drives but pretty much stopped paying attention at all by the end

Psycho-pass saw a few of eps and thought it's interesting but somehow didn't have the motivation to continue, I'm planning to go back to it one day but it will take some time probably, just kinda slow and not enough reward-promising for me to grab my attention, I'm not that much of a tv person in general

Haven't watched any of the rest of reccos, nor claymore, buuut seen, movies first

Akira was good but kinda felt like it all didn't have the impact on me it should have, still enjoyed it a lot and atleast it might be reason for a rewatch

GitS 1 really liked that one, lately I've been feeling like almost all the moveis I watch last about twice the time they actually do but this was like when it finally started the movie was over, the sequel wasn't bad but not really near the first one, there's some other sequels too I think but I don't think I'd find them worth it? Also this makes me wanna read the manga

Edit: wait I think I completely missed the existence of the standalone complex? i think that's supposed to be good and I should totally try that next?

Vampire Hunter D wasn't bad, not much to say about it

Oh also ones I've already watched some time ago that I didn't mention were Paprika and Perfect Blue, Paprika felt a little bit like being a mindfuck just for the sake of being a mindfuck but loved perfect blue, might need to check the other two Satoshi Kon movies

Serial Experiments Lain was recommended to me based on these two and definitely didn't disappoint, think I kinda have a weak spot for exactly this type of dreary melancholy and asocial protagonists/characters, and the scifi ai vs humanity themes... also worth noting is the soundtrack which fits that weak spot probably even better than the anime itself

Which led me toooo Neon Genesis Evangelion which I've just finished couple days ago, at first I nearly stopped watching about the time when Asuka was introduced because it felt too... shonenish? Anyway then I remembered AoT and realised some of the paralels between the two shows and came to conclusion it's probably yet gonna get dark and surprise turned out I was right, (and the paralels became even more obvious), really enjoyed this despite it's overall yaishness, probably would have even been content with the original ending tho I'll hardly complain about existence of end of evangelion

Oh also, succumbing to years of people raving about it, seen Death Note, really liked it for about 10 eps then dunno didn't seem as interesting anymore, and also by the end it was starting to look more and more obvious where it's leading

Also seen more eps of Seven Deadly Sins than I'd like to admit but yeah found that quite entertaining for a while, guess I didn't have much to do at the time...

Probably still forgetting something but everything important should be here

Currently looking at Initial D for my next watch, also is Mushishi really that good?

Also really have to watch Grave of the Fireflies finally, for some reason thought it had czech dubbing and intended to watch it with little sister but then found out it does not and never got around to watching it

Also really should crawl through this thread some more as I feel quite a bit more qualified for it now

Also Silencer is not an anime fan in the op of this thread, amusing

This post has been edited by Itwæs Nom: 07 April 2020 - 09:21 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#4226 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

Wow! You either buried the lede quite a bit when you said you only liked Ghibli and Berserk, or else you watched and absorbed a heck of a lot since that post ^_^

View PostItwæs Nom, on 07 April 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

Dororo was not bad, entertaining enough to keep me watching through the whole season but nothing particularly memorable

Yeah, I'm not super happy with how it turned out either. In hindsight I would not have recommended it so strongly. Only like 5 episodes had aired at that point, seemed at the time like it was going to be something more I guess.

Attack on Titan was great, like an overall top quality piece, don't think there's much to add, really looking forward to the next season and curious about what's gonna happen

Nice

Devilman Crybaby was meeeh, well except for the demon club scene, that was insanely good, rest I didn't care about or enjoyed much really, I did finish during one of my hours long bus drives but pretty much stopped paying attention at all by the end

Hmm

Psycho-pass saw a few of eps and thought it's interesting but somehow didn't have the motivation to continue, I'm planning to go back to it one day but it will take some time probably, just kinda slow and not enough reward-promising for me to grab my attention, I'm not that much of a tv person in general

Duly noted

Akira was good but kinda felt like it all didn't have the impact on me it should have, still enjoyed it a lot and atleast it might be reason for a rewatch

Fair enough. I'm not super enamoured with Akira either... I think it was probably far more mindblowing in the 1980s.

GitS 1 really liked that one, lately I've been feeling like almost all the moveis I watch last about twice the time they actually do but this was like when it finally started the movie was over, the sequel wasn't bad but not really near the first one, there's some other sequels too I think but I don't think I'd find them worth it? Also this makes me wanna read the manga

Edit: wait I think I completely missed the existence of the standalone complex? i think that's supposed to be good and I should totally try that next?

GitS is a complicated franchise full of spin-offs and alternate version things, and they aren't even the same style.

First there's the original movie and sequel movie:
> Ghost in the Shell
> Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

They're really all about the philosophical musing. What part of you makes you human/alive, and such.

Then there's Standalone Complex (in this order):
> Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV series)
> Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG (sequel TV series)
> Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society (TV movie)

These are more focused on being like a police procedural in a near-future full of cyborgs, and what musing there is is more about socio-economics than philosophy.

Then there's GitS:Arise and GitS:The New Movie, which are yet another spin-off and seem to be more action-focused, but I haven't seen any of them. Initial reviews were bad, but that could just be people not liking them taking an action-centric direction for the series?

Oh also ones I've already watched some time ago that I didn't mention were Paprika and Perfect Blue, Paprika felt a little bit like being a mindfuck just for the sake of being a mindfuck but loved perfect blue, might need to check the other two Satoshi Kon movies

Yes. He also made a TV series called Paranoid Agent.

And these are nothing like Berserk :p

Serial Experiments Lain was recommended to me based on these two and definitely didn't disappoint, think I kinda have a weak spot for exactly this type of dreary melancholy and asocial protagonists/characters, and the scifi ai vs humanity themes... also worth noting is the soundtrack which fits that weak spot probably even better than the anime itself

Nothing like Berserk :p

I think it's dumb, but a lot of people who really like Lain also really like Ergo Proxy if you want more of that stuff.

Which led me toooo Neon Genesis Evangelion which I've just finished couple days ago, at first I nearly stopped watching about the time when Asuka was introduced because it felt too... shonenish? Anyway then I remembered AoT and realised some of the paralels between the two shows and came to conclusion it's probably yet gonna get dark and surprise turned out I was right, (and the paralels became even more obvious), really enjoyed this despite it's overall yaishness, probably would have even been content with the original ending tho I'll hardly complain about existence of end of evangelion

Between this and AoT, sounds like you like mecha shows

Also seen more eps of Seven Deadly Sins than I'd like to admit but yeah found that quite entertaining for a while, guess I didn't have much to do at the time...

And how do you complain about Evangelion seeming too shounenish but not this?!

Currently looking at Initial D for my next watch

Something something running in the 90s

also is Mushishi really that good?

It's very good at what it does but I don't think you're gonna like it. Then again, it's nothing like Berserk.

Also really should crawl through this thread some more as I feel quite a bit more qualified for it now

112 pages, sure why not.

Also Silencer is not an anime fan in the op of this thread, amusing

Bah, he never comes in this thread anymore anyway.

#4227 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 April 2020 - 05:00 AM

Maaan, I'm still not totally sure about this Otome game Hamatsu Something Something show, but the main character totally gets me

Posted Image

#4228 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 16 April 2020 - 03:22 AM

Id Invaded episode 1.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this shit is awesome.

#4229 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:56 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 16 April 2020 - 03:22 AM, said:

Id Invaded episode 1.

this shit is awesome.

We told you so

#4230 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:45 PM

View PostD, on 08 April 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

Wow! You either buried the lede quite a bit when you said you only liked Ghibli and Berserk, or else you watched and absorbed a heck of a lot since that post ^_^

Yeah tha's all since the last post unless otherwise stated, well it's been about 9 months so not that lot if you take that into account, among other things the anime format suits me well

GitS is a complicated franchise full of spin-offs and alternate version things, and they aren't even the same style.

First there's the original movie and sequel movie:
> Ghost in the Shell
> Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

They're really all about the philosophical musing. What part of you makes you human/alive, and such.

Then there's Standalone Complex (in this order):
> Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV series)
> Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG (sequel TV series)
> Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society (TV movie)

These are more focused on being like a police procedural in a near-future full of cyborgs, and what musing there is is more about socio-economics than philosophy.

Then there's GitS:Arise and GitS:The New Movie, which are yet another spin-off and seem to be more action-focused, but I haven't seen any of them. Initial reviews were bad, but that could just be people not liking them taking an action-centric direction for the series?

Definitely helpful, will keep in mind

Yes. He also made a TV series called Paranoid Agent.

Oh yeah, I've seen this one being referenced before but didn't know he made it, also have just found out this has been reccoed to me before too, will probably watch it next

And these are nothing like Berserk :p

Berserk was the only anime I had as a reference at the time, well aside from ghibli and Satoshi and I could hardly hope tt find anything to match those, and as you said the same applies to berserk but I didn't fully realise at the time, and I never said I'm not gonna like anything that's not like Berserk, I mean ghibli which I had mentioned before is also mostly hardly anything like Berserk isn't it? :p

I think it's dumb, but a lot of people who really like Lain also really like Ergo Proxy if you want more of that stuff.

That looks cool

Between this and AoT, sounds like you like mecha shows

Yeah like in general I don't at all, actually pretty much disliked anything mecha even when I was a kid, never understood what anyone likes about transformers for example

And how do you complain about Evangelion seeming too shounenish but not this?!

Right? Guess I couldn't decide what to watch next so gave this a try because some people I knew were watching it and stuck with it for as long as I found it entertaining enough cause I could use something simple to switch my brain off to at the time, and might have needed my classic fantasy fix

Currently looking at Initial D for my next watch

Something something running in the 90s

The soundtrack is just fabulous

About 10 eps in and quite enjoying this, the authenticity and technical stuff and action shots are great, tho I'm quite looking forward to when they move on from Akina/Takumi actually has to try a bit

Also the quality of like textures particularly during the races is just terrible in some frames but I guess that's the price they paid for the smoothness of animation itself and I'm not complaining at all, and I think the old school grainy and low quality like animations of about pre 2k animes make up a big part of what I've come to like about anime, I love them and they look soo much more appeasing to my eyes than the modern clean animations, and I think I hope to never have to lay my sight on a 3d anime ever never

also is Mushishi really that good?

It's very good at what it does but I don't think you're gonna like it. Then again, it's nothing like Berserk.

Noted, might give it a try once when I feel in mood for it

@re Naruto

quite a few of my friends swear by it but I'm well aware of our differing tastes, I watched it when I was like 8 but stopped when they started repeating the same season again and haven't turned back since, nowadays a little part of me cringes whenever anyone mentions watching 240th something ep of Boruto and raving about how great it is, the same part was probably busy recovering from substance poisoning while I was watching 7 deadly sins but oh well I have no regrets

After stumbling upon it for upteenth time I've finally just ordered Uzumaki before I could forget Junji Ito's name again, the artwork is ridiculous and I can't wait for the goodness
That being said choosing Uzumaki was kinda impulsive so anyone have any reccos about which of the rest should I get next? I think I do have a bit of a thing about spirals tho
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#4231 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:45 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 April 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 16 April 2020 - 03:22 AM, said:

Id Invaded episode 1.

this shit is awesome.

We told you so

im now into episode 7.

Every since episode 4 this has been one hell of a roller coaster every time. Those ... moments? I'd call them plot twists but even watching them at this breakneck speed they aren't bad plot twists. THey all had lead up and fore shadowing.

for example the episode 7 bomb

Spoiler

#4232 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:08 AM

View PostD, on 25 February 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 February 2020 - 08:14 AM, said:

Hold up. What in sam fuck just happened D'rek?

Spoiler

Camellia has a song that sums this up quite well, it's called NANI THE FUCK.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4233 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:07 PM

Needed some Anime on Netflix in Quarantine, so I deiced to finally watch FMA: Brotherhood. So far so good.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4234 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:59 PM

and i completely forgot to post my ending reaction to Id invaded

#4235 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:36 PM

Kakushigoto is (so far) the best anime series since Shirobako. Change my mind.

#4236 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

View PostD, on 06 May 2020 - 06:36 PM, said:

Kakushigoto is (so far) the best anime series since Shirobako. Change my mind.

No! If I do that you might find our I'm a dirty manga artist!

#4237 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

Here I am watching INU YASHA 20 years after it was released for the first time...because it's on Netflix and I've never seen it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4238 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 May 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

Here I am watching INU YASHA 20 years after it was released for the first time...because it's on Netflix and I've never seen it.

It's only 150+ episodes, perfect for a nice short quarantine binge-watch :p

If you end up really liking it, there's apparently a "next generation" sequel in the works.

#4239 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:19 PM

View PostD, on 14 May 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 May 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

It's only 150+ episodes, perfect for a nice short quarantine binge-watch :p

If you end up really liking it, there's apparently a "next generation" sequel in the works.

yeah, that was part of my reasons for getting into it, that it's short. It's much less daunting than stuff like Bleach.

At three episodes in I can tell I'll enjoy it already.

#4240 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:45 PM

Let me preface this news with this:

Attached File  OMG.jpeg (6.49K)
Number of downloads: 0

I screamed out loud in my condo when I saw this.

I don't know if it's going to be coming to any other counties (UK, USA ect.), but ONE PIECE is coming to Netflix on June 12th!

I. Am. MFin. SO. EXCITED!

I can't recall where I last left off in the story (somewhere I THINK between Skypeia and Water 7?), but it was only due to the Funimation app/service being an absolute dumpster fire and not worth the subscription, and not because I was bored by the show. So I'm beyond excited to finally be able to get back into it with a service that I can use and functions well. That said, it's only the first 130 eps so far, but it's a start and I can re-watch from the beginning which I wanted to do anyways.

Anyways, I HOPE this is coming to other shores Netflix too.

EDIT: Okay, so it's The US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia. Boom!

EDIT 2: I hope it's also the Dub AND the Sub audio, as I much prefer watching in Japanese, but I would be okay with the dub if that's the only option.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 May 2020 - 01:50 PM

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users