• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4601 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 January 2022 - 01:57 PM, said:

Bought a year of CR Premium so I could try to spend 2022 catching up on ONE PIECE (I'm somewhere in the middle of Alabasta). I originally attempted to do this with the manga on the Viz but fell off as it required more of my attention than I could provide. I can bang out the anime episodes pretty quickly.

That said, aside from obvious shit like AOT, anything anyone want to suggest as a side piece to check out on Crunchyroll right now?

Given your love for Naruto, Boruto seems like the obvious suggestion

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4602 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:20 PM

View PostD, on 10 January 2022 - 02:33 PM, said:

Bought a year of CR Premium so I could try to spend 2022 catching up on ONE PIECE (I'm somewhere in the middle of Alabasta). I originally attempted to do this with the manga on the Viz but fell off as it required more of my attention than I could provide. I can bang out the anime episodes pretty quickly.

That said, aside from obvious shit like AOT, anything anyone want to suggest as a side piece to check out on Crunchyroll right now?

Oh, I'll check that out down the road, but I've not finished Naruto yet, so I'll probably leave it.

Is there anything that might cause me emotional damage? I've not seen an anime in a while that's affected me emotionally.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4603 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 January 2022 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostD, on 10 January 2022 - 02:33 PM, said:

Oh, I'll check that out down the road, but I've not finished Naruto yet, so I'll probably leave it.

Is there anything that might cause me emotional damage? I've not seen an anime in a while that's affected me emotionally.

Ohhh there's lots of those out there. You want the tearjerkery sad panda type or the crazypants psychological scarring kind? Or a bit of both?

Though TBH I don't know your taste that well so it can be hard to judge, everyone is different. I cried like 6 times watching Revue Starlight and Shirobako (each) but that's proooobably not gonna happen to you.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4604 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:19 PM

That’s cool, I’ll check them out anyways. Thanks for the suggestions. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4605 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:58 PM

Oh, those weren't supposed to be suggestions, just examples, but they are both amazing shows so, uh, go for it! Shirobako is definitely on Crunchyroll. I don't think Revue Starlight is, though, I think it's on HiDive nowadays (and nobody is willing to license the movie, the bums!).

#4606 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 11 January 2022 - 03:23 AM

Attack on Titan is in its final run.

Aside from that hmmm, if you're feeling nostalgic theres a few gundam shows on crunchyroll

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 11 January 2022 - 03:24 AM

#4607 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:48 AM

Lin you know too much, Gonna have to silence you now.

Also Quick you're a mad fucking masochist. No one catches up to One Piece, not even (ESPECIALLY NOT) Luffy. Isn't there like 1300 episodes?

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4608 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:15 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 January 2022 - 08:48 AM, said:

Lin you know too much, Gonna have to silence you now.

Also Quick you're a mad fucking masochist. No one catches up to One Piece, not even (ESPECIALLY NOT) Luffy. Isn't there like 1300 episodes?

I think 1080?

I can do it!

#4609 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:27 PM

An article from 2020

How Long Would Binging All of One Piece Take?

One Piece is slowly becoming one of the longest running anime out there, so you can see why binging the entire series would be hard to do. There is a major difference between marathoning maybe 20 episodes of a series versus 900+ episodes. But if you were determined to marathon all of One Piece, one fan has done the math to figure how long it would take, and the results are not pretty.

Over on Twitter, the user evolbackwards decided to do the math behind One Piece, and we crunched the numbers just to double check. Right now, there are 929 episodes of the anime released, and that number won't change until One Piece pulls away from its pandemic-related hiatus. With no new episodes on the horizon, now is a good time to catch up on the series, but it will take you more than 10 days to do so.

With 929 episodes under its belt, each of those One Piece entries runs about 20 minutes if you exclude their opening and ending themes; If you did include those songs, each episode would run about 24 minutes. If you multiply 929 by 20, you end up with 18,580 minutes. Now divide that by 60 to get 309 hours.

And how many days fit into 309 hours? Well, it turns out to be about 12 days. That means you could finish the entire anime in 12 days if you went without sleep, and we have to tell you that is a bad idea. One Piece is a fantastic series, but it is not worth losing THAT much sleep over.

If you want to beef up that marathon, you can always add in the One Piece movies. To date, their are 14 feature films dedicated to the Straw Hat pirates. The run time of each movie varies widely between 30 minutes to well over an hour. That means a marathon of the One Piece movies would take at least 12 hours to finish, so you can see there's a lot to unpack with this shonen anime.

I believe in you, QT!

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 11 January 2022 - 01:30 PM

#4610 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:38 PM

View PostAptorian, on 11 January 2022 - 01:27 PM, said:

An article from 2020

One Piece is slowly becoming one of the longest running anime out there, so you can see why binging the entire series would be hard to do. There is a major difference between marathoning maybe 20 episodes of a series versus 900+ episodes. But if you were determined to marathon all of One Piece, one fan has done the math to figure how long it would take, and the results are not pretty.

Over on Twitter, the user evolbackwards decided to do the math behind One Piece, and we crunched the numbers just to double check. Right now, there are 929 episodes of the anime released, and that number won't change until One Piece pulls away from its pandemic-related hiatus. With no new episodes on the horizon, now is a good time to catch up on the series, but it will take you more than 10 days to do so.

With 929 episodes under its belt, each of those One Piece entries runs about 20 minutes if you exclude their opening and ending themes; If you did include those songs, each episode would run about 24 minutes. If you multiply 929 by 20, you end up with 18,580 minutes. Now divide that by 60 to get 309 hours.

And how many days fit into 309 hours? Well, it turns out to be about 12 days. That means you could finish the entire anime in 12 days if you went without sleep, and we have to tell you that is a bad idea. One Piece is a fantastic series, but it is not worth losing THAT much sleep over.

If you want to beef up that marathon, you can always add in the One Piece movies. To date, their are 14 feature films dedicated to the Straw Hat pirates. The run time of each movie varies widely between 30 minutes to well over an hour. That means a marathon of the One Piece movies would take at least 12 hours to finish, so you can see there's a lot to unpack with this shonen anime.

I believe in you, QT!

309 hours over a year? I can do that.

#4611 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 January 2022 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 11 January 2022 - 01:27 PM, said:

An article from 2020

I believe in you, QT!

309 hours over a year? I can do that.

Nono you have to speedrun it.

#4612 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, I was going to say 12 days or you'll bring shame on your family.

#4613 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 January 2022 - 03:07 PM

View PostD, on 11 January 2022 - 01:40 PM, said:

Nono you have to speedrun it.

View PostAptorian, on 11 January 2022 - 01:46 PM, said:

Yeah, I was going to say 12 days or you'll bring shame on your family.

Jeezus, if I want to stay married, I can't do that. My days of speed running anime binges are behind me.

#4614 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:52 AM

I would very much recommend Shirobako and School Live on Crunchyroll to start you off on their catalogue. There's a whole bunch of stuff I can probably suggest but it'd mean dredging up my MAL list and I only started logging stuff on there from 2020-1 onwards.

Updates to this season's list:

Demon Slayer: Tall Man Is Fast And They're Hookers Now - It's Demon Slayer. Visually gorgeous, kind of dumb, return to monke, swordy fun.
Akemi's Sailor Skirt - Seems like a cute slice of life and visually very ni- what are you doing? No stop HAACHAMA NO
Kenja no Deshi wo Nanoru Kenja - powerful old wizard reincarnates as smol loli. Seems like throwaway VMMO trash which I'm a slut for.
In The Land of Leadale - I really liked Vol.1 of the light novel. It's Slime Taoshite but with an actual main quest for her to follow.
Priconne S2 - They really upped the animation budget from S1. Dumb time filler but fun.
Tigers Have Sex With the Bees and Eagles, Part 4 the second and a half but definitely final time: We'll see if this sticks. Not confident given how the manga ended, but...
Sono Bisque Doll - very pretty, seems like it has the hallmarks of being a wholesome romance.
Realist Hero S2 - more of the same. S1 was enjoyable enough.
Fantasy Bishoujo - Slightly creepy office man reincarnates as the loli from Combatants. Shenanigans ensue. More absolute isekai garbage but the first ep was fun.
Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation out of Debt - it's Realist Hero but with an unwilling protag and more slapstick.
Gensou Sangokushi - I think this is Chinese with a JP dub? Demon exorcists and such. Time filler but seemed aight.

#4615 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:48 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 January 2022 - 08:52 AM, said:

I would very much recommend Shirobako and School Live on Crunchyroll to start you off on their catalogue. There's a whole bunch of stuff I can probably suggest but it'd mean dredging up my MAL list and I only started logging stuff on there from 2020-1 onwards.

IIRC QT likes to semi-binge only a couple shows at a time? If so, we can probably get away with only feeding him 1 or 2 shows at a time, get commentary back from him, and use that for 1-2 more suggestions at a time instead of list-dumping.

And yeah, totally watch School-Live! Sure, it's just a typical high-school-girls-do-a-club-activity-together show, but it's really charismatic and they really do manage to make the idea of a school club about sleeping over at school (hence the name) interesting somehow. The show has really, really good cinematography, too!

Demon Slayer: Tall Man Is Fast And They're Hookers Now - It's Demon Slayer. Visually gorgeous, kind of dumb, return to monke, swordy fun.

After this week's episode I'm officially referring to this as "Demon Slayer Season Boobs" from now on.

Is it just me or is it weird that after web-guy being the big fight last (TV) season they've now gone and done another villain who's big shtick is throwing a bunch of threads/belts/whatever at Tanjiro? Kind of repetitive choreography, which is a surprise since they had a dude who changed the gravity of the room with magic drums and that guy was practically a throwaway villain, thought we'd be getting creative new enemy powers every time if even magic-gravity-drum didn't make it into major antagonist status.

Akemi's Sailor Skirt - Seems like a cute slice of life and visually very ni- what are you doing? No stop HAACHAMA NO

OH NO

Kenja no Deshi wo Nanoru Kenja - powerful old wizard reincarnates as smol loli. Seems like throwaway VMMO trash which I'm a slut for.

Self-acknowledgement is the first step towards enlightenment. You'll be the isekai buddha soon.

Tigers Have Sex With the Bees and Eagles, Part 4 the second and a half but definitely final time: We'll see if this sticks. Not confident given how the manga ended, but...

I expect to be thoroughly [not-over, not-under]whelmed.

Sono Bisque Doll - very pretty, seems like it has the hallmarks of being a wholesome romance.

I don't know what to think of this. Generally I don't like the "this guy is such a loner, suddenly the popular girl enters his life and is all over him" setup that much, so I wonder if that is biasing my first impressions against this more than it really should, but in general I didn't like the first episode that much. I guess it just seems very, uh, not subtle, or maybe unnatural would be the better word? Like, we see the girl MC with this ditzy personality with her friends, but then when she talks to the MC guy alone in the classroom she switches into PROFOUND TEEN NOVEL VOICE to give him life advice, and just in case the show wasn't making that prominent enough they flashback to it again like 2 minutes later in case you forgot what happened only 1 scene ago.

On the other hand they seem to be giving the MC guy more of an actual backstory and personality than the usual "self-insert loner guy" usually gets in these sorts of shows, so maybe that's a sign it'll have some actual mutual character development for both, so I'm still intrigued I suppose.

I don't think it's gonna be wholesome though, Maark. They did a weird close-up on the girl licking her lips thing, and teasy-fetish shows are really popular right now, this is totally going to go at least partially "degenerate" in some way I bet.

Fantasy Bishoujo - Slightly creepy office man reincarnates as the loli from Combatants. Shenanigans ensue. More absolute isekai garbage but the first ep was fun.

Yup, first episode was total garbage but seems like pretty self-aware isekai garbage in a somewhat fun and novel way. I'm gonna keep watching this for now.

Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation out of Debt - it's Realist Hero but with an unwilling protag and more slapstick.

Haven't caught the first episode of this yet but plan to, heard the sarcastic and "try-to-fail-but-succeeds" jokes were good, seems interesting.

I also need to check out the mushroom show.

#4616 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:54 AM

View PostD, on 12 January 2022 - 02:48 PM, said:

IIRC QT likes to semi-binge only a couple shows at a time? If so, we can probably get away with only feeding him 1 or 2 shows at a time, get commentary back from him, and use that for 1-2 more suggestions at a time instead of list-dumping.

And yeah, totally watch School-Live! Sure, it's just a typical high-school-girls-do-a-club-activity-together show, but it's really charismatic and they really do manage to make the idea of a school club about sleeping over at school (hence the name) interesting somehow. The show has really, really good cinematography, too!

After this week's episode I'm officially referring to this as "Demon Slayer Season Boobs" from now on.

Is it just me or is it weird that after web-guy being the big fight last (TV) season they've now gone and done another villain who's big shtick is throwing a bunch of threads/belts/whatever at Tanjiro? Kind of repetitive choreography, which is a surprise since they had a dude who changed the gravity of the room with magic drums and that guy was practically a throwaway villain, thought we'd be getting creative new enemy powers every time if even magic-gravity-drum didn't make it into major antagonist status.

OH NO

Self-acknowledgement is the first step towards enlightenment. You'll be the isekai buddha soon.

I expect to be thoroughly [not-over, not-under]whelmed.

I don't know what to think of this. Generally I don't like the "this guy is such a loner, suddenly the popular girl enters his life and is all over him" setup that much, so I wonder if that is biasing my first impressions against this more than it really should, but in general I didn't like the first episode that much. I guess it just seems very, uh, not subtle, or maybe unnatural would be the better word? Like, we see the girl MC with this ditzy personality with her friends, but then when she talks to the MC guy alone in the classroom she switches into PROFOUND TEEN NOVEL VOICE to give him life advice, and just in case the show wasn't making that prominent enough they flashback to it again like 2 minutes later in case you forgot what happened only 1 scene ago.

On the other hand they seem to be giving the MC guy more of an actual backstory and personality than the usual "self-insert loner guy" usually gets in these sorts of shows, so maybe that's a sign it'll have some actual mutual character development for both, so I'm still intrigued I suppose.

I don't think it's gonna be wholesome though, Maark. They did a weird close-up on the girl licking her lips thing, and teasy-fetish shows are really popular right now, this is totally going to go at least partially "degenerate" in some way I bet.

Yup, first episode was total garbage but seems like pretty self-aware isekai garbage in a somewhat fun and novel way. I'm gonna keep watching this for now.

Haven't caught the first episode of this yet but plan to, heard the sarcastic and "try-to-fail-but-succeeds" jokes were good, seems interesting.

I also need to check out the mushroom show.

The mushroom show was the stupidest shit and I loved it.

Bisque Doll immediately nosedived into sauciness in episode 2. Still enjoyable enough. Comes across that she's had a secret crush on him for a while. If you can power through the very obvious fanservice, manga readers say it's very rewarding and quite sweet later on.

Demon Slayer this week was pretty cool. I was not sold on Uzui as a character at all to begin with but he's really grown on me. Oh and your concern about multiple threads of stuff being thrown at Monjuro constantly is addressed somewhat. It's a good ramp-up.

The fact you know about Red Heart is a source of shame for the both of us, and we shall say no more on this matter.

Since my original post I've also picked up Police in a Pod (seems like a slice of life police comedy) and the aforementioned mushroom madness.

#4617 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 January 2022 - 08:49 AM

A few updates to the list:

Arifureta season 2: "TAKE IT IN THE ASS AND DIE!" "KYAAAA NOT THERE oh I'm awakened now and am an M dragon". Edgy and utterly fucking stupid. But fun.

Kuroitsu of the Monster Development Department - sort of a reverse sentai, MC is a wagie wagie dance in cagie for the bad guys and has to create monsters for them to send out against the good guys. It's nothing earth shattering but it's reasonably entertaining.

Cue! - seems like a cross between your atypical idol anime and something like Shirobako. Young voice actresses trying to make it in the industry. Whether it's remotely as good as Shirobako was remains to be seen but the first two episodes weren't bad, it's a two-cour show as well so there's time for it to develop.

#4618 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 January 2022 - 04:10 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 January 2022 - 08:54 AM, said:

Bisque Doll immediately nosedived into sauciness in episode 2. Still enjoyable enough. Comes across that she's had a secret crush on him for a while. If you can power through the very obvious fanservice, manga readers say it's very rewarding and quite sweet later on.

Yeeeeaaaaaah heard that one before. Okay I'll admit it was a funny joke/scene in this episode even if it is a suuuuper cliche scenario, but boy oh boy it did not need to take 90% of the episode repeating the flustered measurement joke over and over and over again. The last joke with grandpa was pretty funny though, having him be totally serious instead of getting flustered again.

Demon Slayer this week was pretty cool. I was not sold on Uzui as a character at all to begin with but he's really grown on me. Oh and your concern about multiple threads of stuff being thrown at Monjuro constantly is addressed somewhat. It's a good ramp-up.

Well maybe, but the new guy threw his "blood sicles" in a suspiciously webby pattern at one point ^_^

Since my original post I've also picked up Police in a Pod (seems like a slice of life police comedy)

Looks interesting, I might give it a try if I end up having enough time.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 January 2022 - 08:49 AM, said:

Cue! - seems like a cross between your atypical idol anime and something like Shirobako. Young voice actresses trying to make it in the industry. Whether it's remotely as good as Shirobako was remains to be seen but the first two episodes weren't bad, it's a two-cour show as well so there's time for it to develop.

Judging by the promo art, it has like 20 main characters right from the start, or...?

#4619 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:32 AM

About twenty primary characters, but every idol show has a 'main' character who gets the most screentime, or sometimes a pair.

Let's take a moment to talk about Bisco.

Start by cutting twenty lines of cocaine. Whilst you cut this, cure Quentin Tarantino of his demented foot-lust. Once complete, prepare seven tabs of LSD, add powdered methamphetamine, then blend it all together with absinthe. Drink it in one go, then wait.

This show is madness. Fucking stupid in every way. He's an archer whose arrows sprout mushrooms, riding a GIANT ENEMY CRAB into battle against cavalry iguanas, automated attack hippos and snail-planes that shoot missiles and barf acid all oert oyle. The storytelling is why we need Quezzer, it's very much his style of non-linear story, and yet despite all the hallucinogen-fuelled madness, IT WORKS. HOW.

#4620 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:52 AM

Picked up Love of Kill. Seems like a reasonably interesting premise. Boy meets girl, boy is an assassin, girl is an assassin, boy likes girl, girl is receptive, girl is given a hit on him but he is trying to woo her and so shenanigans ensue.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users