Malazan Empire: Anime - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 225 Pages +
  • « First
  • 218
  • 219
  • 220
  • 221
  • 222
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4381 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,279
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

Why did none of your miserly chucklefucks recommend me Wotokoi? Reeeeeeee. This is brilliant.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#4382 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,199
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Why did none of your miserly chucklefucks recommend me Wotokoi? Reeeeeeee. This is brilliant.


The "love is hard for otaku" show? Because I saw 2 episodes and hated all of it?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4383 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,279
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

View PostD, on 03 January 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Why did none of your miserly chucklefucks recommend me Wotokoi? Reeeeeeee. This is brilliant.


The "love is hard for otaku" show? Because I saw 2 episodes and hated all of it?


Christ how. I binged it in less than a week. Absolutely blessed.

Anyway I was going to tell you about the facebook page posting every Machikado Mazoku frame in order but I'm not now. Cruel mean D'rek.



Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#4384 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,279
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:41 PM

New season thoughts:

Somali and the Forest Spirit: seems pretty interesting so far. The notion of a world without humans is kind of cool.

Darwin's Game: It's King's Game levels of edge and gore and it's stupid and funny for it.

Asteroid Love: Incredibly chilled out. Almost to Yurucamp levels. Ep1 was enjoyable.

Madoka Gaiden: Ah, the magical girls' theme is as grand as ever. I feel like this is based off of the gacha game? Who doesn't love mahout shoujo suffering at any rate?



Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#4385 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,199
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 January 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

View PostD, on 03 January 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Why did none of your miserly chucklefucks recommend me Wotokoi? Reeeeeeee. This is brilliant.


The "love is hard for otaku" show? Because I saw 2 episodes and hated all of it?


Christ how. I binged it in less than a week. Absolutely blessed.


Been a while, but if I remember right I saw the whole first episode. Found the writing super bland (e.g. characters unnaturally speaking aloud their thoughts to each other rather than actual dialogue) and there certainly wasn't anything compelling about the visuals or sound or whatever. Basically felt like a generic high school anime rom-com that swapped it's cast to be "adults" at a "company" instead of teens at school, but didn't actually update anything to match that change. And sure enough the main girl got insecure about the size of her boobs 10 minutes in...

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 January 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Anyway I was going to tell you about the facebook page posting every Machikado Mazoku frame in order but I'm not now. Cruel mean D'rek.


1 frame a day for ~47 years?

It's a cute show, but seems like the wrong choice for such an endeavour. They should do that with a Shinkai movie or art-housey show like Gakutsuou or some such where every couple frames is another new desktop background in the making.

Haven't looked into any of the new season yet, but I know there's a new Yuaasa show and a new Haikyuu season so those will definitely be on my list at least.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4386 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,587
  • Joined: 21-May 11
  • Location:Ivory Tower
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:19 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Why did none of your miserly chucklefucks recommend me Wotokoi? Reeeeeeee. This is brilliant.



ok the tabaxi in our DND group keeps calling us that. Is chucklefuck a terry pratchett reference or something.
0

#4387 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,279
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:17 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 07 January 2020 - 12:19 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Why did none of your miserly chucklefucks recommend me Wotokoi? Reeeeeeee. This is brilliant.



ok the tabaxi in our DND group keeps calling us that. Is chucklefuck a terry pratchett reference or something.


I have never read Pratchett so no clue.

Anyway I really enjoyed Wotakoi. Good bit of fun poked at working weebs so I guess it struck a chord too. The two MCs romance was entirely wholesome too.



Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#4388 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,199
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:17 PM

Ok, I checked out a few new shows last night!


Hatema Illusion -- Seemed very boring/bad, turned off after 5 minutes.

Itai no wa Iya nanode Boggy somethingn something, aka "I Hate Getting Hurt, so I Put All My Skill Points into Defense" -- Cute & cozy SAO, I guess? Main character is a teenage girl who starts playing a VR-MMO for the first time, and like the title says she puts all her skill points into defense which ends up being {a} very overpowered so far, and {b} presumably something no one has done before in this game; but she's a newbie so she doesn't realize it. Nothing revolutionary or ultra-compelling here, but it's funny enough, plus also kinda refreshing that no one is trapped in the game or has their life on the line... like she logs off to go do her homework at one point.

ID:Invaded -- Sci-fi police/detective ensemble cast show, kinda like a Minority Report and Mentalist (or Lie to Me, or Elementary, or ...) mash-up. A police department is using a prototype system of device that measures a bunch of subconscious mental residue left at murder scenes, from which they build an abstract VR environment of the killer's mind. I'm really liking the big police cast aspect of it - there's a convict-detective guy that dives into the killer's mind to try to find clues, an analysis team extracting the information he finds and trying to piece it together, and field operatives following up on the information, and the scenes flow back and forth between them pretty smoothly just like, say, Law & Order. And at least so far the show doesn't hold your hand or feel the need to explain everthing like the audience is a bunch of children. Definitely think you should check it out, I could see this being one of the more talked about shows this season, would be great to get some discussion/theorycrafting/reactions/etc on it going here!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4389 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,279
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

I have also been enjoying Rising of the Defense Loli. It's not high stakes at all and that works. On a similar vein D'rek, I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years is due an anime soon and that's all very comfortable, low-stakes isekai stuff. "I reincarnated and became incredibly overpowered but I would really rather just relax with my family".


ID:Invaded has been good up to Episode 4. I very much enjoyed the twists in the second episode.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#4390 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,199
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:53 PM

Slimes for 300 years sounds like it could be pleasantly comfy/good, though hard to tell. I'm kinda dubious of any "I'm overpowered but need to hide it" stories, they have a track record of being too wish-fulfillment/pandering and going up their own butts, but we'll see!

And honestly I am a bit worried for the direction of DefenseLoli (aka Bofuri?) now that her friend has joined in. I liked the player tournament bit, but they ended the last episode with an actual boss fight for her friend and it was all too conventional... and let's face it this show doesn't have top tier animation/visual ideas nor a particularly gripping set of stakes in its story. Doing conventional quests, boss fights, etc, is only going to make the show a watered down copycat of SAO/Log Horizon/every other video gamey isekai, at which point my interest is over. So I hope it doesn't do that.

In the meantime, I checked out Eizouken and it's... well hard to say, really. It looks great, is super creative, and full of energy and whimsy. Though there also isn't much of an actual story to it. I guess it's a high-energy slice of life? It's, uh, interesting, I dunno.


ID:Invaded is still the bomb.
Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4391 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,587
  • Joined: 21-May 11
  • Location:Ivory Tower
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:02 AM

So apparently madoka and susei gargantia got a 2nd season?
0

#4392 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,199
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:57 AM

Yeah, Madoka has a sort of spin-off/sequel thing called Magia Record and AFAIK it's still unclear how much it ties into the previous series and/or Rebellion. On my list to check out but I haven't gotten to it yet.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4393 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,279
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:20 AM

Honestly, at volume 4 of the Light Novel, her being overpowered is mostly used to settle disputes between folks who are getting too rowdy. In general it's very relaxation focused. The character starts volume 1 dying from overwork and then when they reincarnate they specify that they just want a relaxing life, so the entire premise is them preserving that (and mostly succeeding). It's an iseaki technically, yeah, but mostly it's a Yurucamp paced slice of life.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#4394 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,587
  • Joined: 21-May 11
  • Location:Ivory Tower
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:15 AM

Ok so I have to share. For 2020 the follow-up ng will be airing.
Attack on Titan final season
Demon Slayer movie
Yuri on ice movie
Shield hero 2
Re zero 2
Zombieland sage season 2
Reincarnated as a slime season 2
Dragon maid season 2.
Promised never land season 2
Violet evergarden movie
Goblin Slayer movie.

Rumors of made in abyss season 2.

2020 is going to be AMAZING.possibly the best year for anime in some time.
0

#4395 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,199
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:15 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 24 January 2020 - 03:15 AM, said:

Ok so I have to share. For 2020 the follow-up ng will be airing.
Attack on Titan final season Yay!
Demon Slayer movie Alrighty
Yuri on ice movie Why?!
Shield hero 2 Plz no
Re zero 2 Has no hope of living up to the first season
Zombieland sage season 2 Meeeh
Reincarnated as a slime season 2 Hmm, I guess
Dragon maid season 2. Really?
Promised never land season 2 I already read the manga :p
Violet evergarden movie No comment
Goblin Slayer movie. Meh

Rumors of made in abyss season 2. Confirmed

2020 is going to be AMAZING.possibly the best year for anime in some time.


I dunno about best year for anime... sequels does not, IMO, necessarily make for good anime. I think most of the movies especially will be largely forgettable.

But wait, there's EVEN MORE SEQUELS for 2020:

Dr Stone season 2 Yay!
Fruits Basket remake season 2 Yay!
Bookworm Ascendance season 2 Yay!
Romantic SNAFU season 3 No comment
Kaguya-sama season 2 It'll still be overhyped from memes but also I think will lose steam when people realize there is zero progression from season 1
SAO 3 season 2.5 Snooore
Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon season 3 Well SAO got another adaptation so I guess it was inevitable
Food Wars final season At least it will finally be dead
Kingdom season 3 Good for you, the dozen remaining diehard Kingdom fans
Log Horizon season 3 DATABASE DATABASE DATABASE DATABASE
Fire Force season 2 No comment
Irregular at Magic High School season 2/spin-off Really?! Why?! Oh right incest fanservice harems sell
Megalo Box season 2 Cool

Not to mention the Hero Academia, Haikyuu, Madoka, and Isekai Quartet sequels airing right now.

And yet, I'll take ID:Invaded over any of the sequels in this post.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4396 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,279
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Lether, apparently...
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:14 AM

Dragon Maid season 2 is still tentative. Kyoani haven't confirmed one way or another as far as I know. But it'll be sweet if they do come out with it.

I have 17 seasonals on for Winter 2020...



Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#4397 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,587
  • Joined: 21-May 11
  • Location:Ivory Tower
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

View PostD, on 24 January 2020 - 05:15 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 24 January 2020 - 03:15 AM, said:

Ok so I have to share. For 2020 the follow-up ng will be airing.
Attack on Titan final season Yay!
Demon Slayer movie Alrighty
Yuri on ice movie Why?!
Shield hero 2 Plz no
Re zero 2 Has no hope of living up to the first season
Zombieland sage season 2 Meeeh
Reincarnated as a slime season 2 Hmm, I guess
Dragon maid season 2. Really?
Promised never land season 2 I already read the manga :p
Violet evergarden movie No comment
Goblin Slayer movie. Meh

Rumors of made in abyss season 2. Confirmed

2020 is going to be AMAZING.possibly the best year for anime in some time.


I dunno about best year for anime... sequels does not, IMO, necessarily make for good anime. I think most of the movies especially will be largely forgettable.

But wait, there's EVEN MORE SEQUELS for 2020:

Dr Stone season 2 Yay!
Fruits Basket remake season 2 Yay!
Bookworm Ascendance season 2 Yay!
Romantic SNAFU season 3 No comment
Kaguya-sama season 2 It'll still be overhyped from memes but also I think will lose steam when people realize there is zero progression from season 1
SAO 3 season 2.5 Snooore
Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon season 3 Well SAO got another adaptation so I guess it was inevitable
Food Wars final season At least it will finally be dead
Kingdom season 3 Good for you, the dozen remaining diehard Kingdom fans
Log Horizon season 3 DATABASE DATABASE DATABASE DATABASE
Fire Force season 2 No comment
Irregular at Magic High School season 2/spin-off Really?! Why?! Oh right incest fanservice harems sell
Megalo Box season 2 Cool

Not to mention the Hero Academia, Haikyuu, Madoka, and Isekai Quartet sequels airing right now.

And yet, I'll take ID:Invaded over any of the sequels in this post.


Ok we're getting a crap ton of sequels to some highly anticipated shows like made in abyss and you express scepticism?

Let the hype take you!
0

#4398 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,199
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 24 January 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

Ok we're getting a crap ton of sequels to some highly anticipated shows like made in abyss and you express scepticism?

Let the hype take you!


By that metric every year is a best year.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

#4399 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,587
  • Joined: 21-May 11
  • Location:Ivory Tower
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

View PostD, on 24 January 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 24 January 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

Ok we're getting a crap ton of sequels to some highly anticipated shows like made in abyss and you express scepticism?

Let the hype take you!


By that metric every year is a best year.


Whens the last time we had as many sequels to as many good shows?
0

#4400 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,199
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:57 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 24 January 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

View PostD, on 24 January 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 24 January 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

Ok we're getting a crap ton of sequels to some highly anticipated shows like made in abyss and you express scepticism?

Let the hype take you!


By that metric every year is a best year.


Whens the last time we had as many sequels to as many good shows?


2019 had like 20ish

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.
0

Share this topic:


  • 225 Pages +
  • « First
  • 218
  • 219
  • 220
  • 221
  • 222
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users