• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4021 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

This is absolutely heartbreaking. Some sources are now reporting as high as 33 dead and ~35 injured.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4022 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

I just got up to the final episode of Violet Evergarden last night - and I'm loving it.

This is horrendous news, so many dead or badly injured.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4023 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:52 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 July 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

Kyoto Animation attacked by an arsonist. Several (up to ten) dead and a lot of injuries.

Apparently the guy (described as a 40yo otaku) was pouring petrol over people and deliberately setting them alight. Fucked up.

View PostD, on 18 July 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

This is absolutely heartbreaking. Some sources are now reporting as high as 33 dead and ~35 injured.

Japan so rarely has this kind of thing happen, that when it does its extra traumatizing. When was the last mass event (other than Fukushima) that caused so many needless deaths? The Sarin gas attacks on the Tokyo subway in the mid-90's by Aum Shinrikyo?

Looked it up. Wow there have been more than I thought, but this is definitely the worst in 18 years.

Terrible.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4024 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:55 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 July 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 July 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

Kyoto Animation attacked by an arsonist. Several (up to ten) dead and a lot of injuries.

Apparently the guy (described as a 40yo otaku) was pouring petrol over people and deliberately setting them alight. Fucked up.

View PostD, on 18 July 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Japan so rarely has this kind of thing happen, that when it does its extra traumatizing. When was the last mass event (other than Fukushima) that caused so many needless deaths? The Sarin gas attacks on the Tokyo subway in the mid-90's by Aum Shinrikyo?

Looked it up. Wow there have been more than I thought, but this is definitely the worst in 18 years.

Terrible.

Really horrible to read about this today. Can't believe someone would harm people doing such loving and caring work.

It's a sign of the times I guess?

I strongly believe life is not worse now and in fact is a lot better for a lot more people. I believe we're just better recorded so it looks like chaos but stories like this still drive home that there is something very wrong about the world we live in...

It's so sad.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4025 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

Posted Image
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4026 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

I don't know if someone can maybe resize that image as I sent it from phone.

But the context is: VE's director survived and is in hospital, and there's a prevailing rumour that the director of Kobayashi is among those who died.

How to make a grown man cry, 101.

#4027 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:52 AM

Its pretty much confirmed Koabayashi director is dead. It's pretty sad, i usually don't dig the whole slice of life stuff but i really enjoyed kobayashi.

According to the president they lost everything, all their digital stuff as well. It's unfortunate they didn't have DRP in place as if they at least had their data that would be a silver lining. With all that's happened, i think this may well be the end of kyo ani. Could you seriously go back to work in the same place your co workers of many years/decades died? It's tragic and it's absolutely disgusting that this wasn't an accident but a deliberate act.

#4028 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

KyoAni brought so much joy to the world (hell, to me, personally, they're one of my favorite studios), this is just outright tragic. It would be a terrible event regardless of who it happened to, but it hurts just that little bit more because it was them. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4029 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

It's horrible, the door to the roof was locked, lots of people were found on the stairs trying to get out. They had no sprinklers or extinguishers.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4030 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

View PostTraveller, on 21 July 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

It's horrible, the door to the roof was locked, lots of people were found on the stairs trying to get out. They had no sprinklers or extinguishers.

WHAT?????? im sorry is this particular to Kyo Ani or is this just the norm?

#4031 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

That was just vague internet speculation (that perhaps got picked up by news outlets that don't double check). Later news reports said that the fire department said the door was unlocked (but because it was a rapid gasoline fire the smoke/fumes traveled up the stairwell so fast the people there couldn't get to the door and open it).

Likewise, some news outlets seem to have turned one vague statement and an uncorroborated vague witness account into that the killer made a definitive statement claiming that KyoAni had stolen his work, but we're probably better off to not believe any such thing until the actual investigation is done - it's too easy for one word misheard by a person on the street to become an entire narrative that people and the news want to believe.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4032 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:07 AM

Recently finished up Oreshura and Recently, My Sister is Unusual. Both fun enough. Currently blitzing through When Supernatural Battles are Commonplace.

#4033 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 21 July 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

Well apparently health and safety regs are different and it's ok to not have those things. I read it on an online news article though so it's probably wrong :)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

#4034 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

View PostTraveller, on 22 July 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 21 July 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

Well apparently health and safety regs are different and it's ok to not have those things. I read it on an online news article though so it's probably wrong :)

There's been a video of some sort doing the rounds but the prevalent theory is one entrance/exit, but it seems a given that the fire took next to no time to get going.

#4035 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:01 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4036 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

They've announced that the Violet Evergarden film and side series are going ahead as planned.

I assume any show with key staff lost in the attack is cancelled until further notice.

#4037 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:51 PM

Even for the staff in their other buildings, I seriously doubt it's just right back to work as usual.

#4038 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:24 AM

View PostD, on 24 July 2019 - 08:51 PM, said:

Even for the staff in their other buildings, I seriously doubt it's just right back to work as usual.

On one hand yes, on the other hand I could foresee staff trying to do just that out of respect for those lost.

#4039 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

Names of some of the deceased are being released by their families now... this is not going to be a fun day

#4040 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:25 AM

View PostD, on 26 July 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

Names of some of the deceased are being released by their families now... this is not going to be a fun day

Agreed.

JoJo part 5 ended.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users