• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4001 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

View PostD, on 09 July 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

I disagree with skip episode 25 and 26. Otherwise you're leaving yourself out all the context of how it actually/first ended in the mid-90s and why people were so "what the fuck?" 'd about it. Then again I've never watched Death/Rebirth so I'm clearly not a real fan :headbang:

That's a fair comment. And you know what, I actually find DEATH & REBIRTH entirely pointless since it treads most of the same material...but after having viewed the series and being disappointed, it set up EoE better for me...BK many have a different experience, you're right. I think it was Anno's way of saying "let's remember the series up to the point you all started hating it (eps 25-26)" before EoE redoes 25-26.

End of Eva is really the only hard recommend movie.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4002 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 09 July 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

There is The End of Evangelion and Evangelion Death (True)2(though I think it’s squared) up.

Will likely take me quite awhile to view all this.

Yep. Take your time with it. LOTS to digest, and they will totally throw shit at you that you will have no idea about for a while. I think the first time they call out the 'Human Instrumentality Project' for example, I was like WTF is that?! Keep watching.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4003 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:02 AM

View PostD, on 09 July 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 09 July 2019 - 02:11 AM, said:

The only things i<d like to tack onto this is a good part of "getting" EVA comes less from actual plot analysis and more the overarching themes. The guy in the video below is far more articulate than I will ever be, while also being far more well read than I will ever but a key point in the eva is the Meta nature of the show and how it is a direct commentary on those who watch anime. Specifically the ending of the show deals with depression and how one needs to go out in the world and actually interact with it. Rather than being fixated on idealized forms of people that are ultimately just empty vessels. (basically don't be weab trash) .It's not out of lack of budget in the ending you see pictures of all the fan mail they received, he's making commentary on his fans (which he unsurprisingly dislikes)

The rebuild movies further continue on this theme what with many of the characters not aging despite the fact in universe there was a time skip.

Personally, I think the whole "it's a meta commentary about anime fans wasting their lives and needing to engage with the world more" or whatever is mostly a bunch of hokey over-analysis spawned from people latching onto a couple off-hand comments made by Anno and the other creators in a few interviews. Kinda like all the Christian imagery and symbolism in the show, which people for years made tons of analytical essays about... but the creators admitted they used just because it looked and sounded cool :headbang: And the ending is definitely at least 50% because of budget/logistic woes. Gainax' scheduling and cash flow issues are well-known (there were a bunch of bad business events and lay-offs right before Eva, and the company president got arrested for tax fraud a couple years after Eva).

The later rebuild movies somewhat critique this view that it's simply a cigar being considered phallic imagery. Yes the last two episodes (and that scene with kaworu, frequent mouth hiding in the last few episodes) are all real consequences of the dire financial situation of gainax, but showing real pictures of the fan mail they got. That's a bit harder to write off.

Agreed on all the xtian imagery stuff being a rule of cool, but the xtian analysis is really just a plot analysis. The meta commentary is more thematic so it got more rigour and credibility to it.

edit: Pun not intended

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 10 July 2019 - 01:04 AM

#4004 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 July 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

BK, to elaborate on what Mark said above...the order of watching is:

Evangelion Series Episode 1-24 (IMPORTANT: SKIP Episode 25 and 26!)
then find the first movie DEATH & REBIRTH. It is a boiled down version of the series but allows you a more introspective look at the overall themes (as Linear mentioned).
Then you do the second film END OF EVANGELION which is a fucking MIND-TRIP in the best way, as IT properly ends the series (episodes 25-26 of the Series kind of pulled the punches and showed you none of the actual things that happened and instead firmly insert you into Shinji's mind instead, which was fucking whack). End of Eva is a transcendent flick.

THEN you can board the Rebuild train after that, there are three movies out so far (1.0, 2.0, and 3.0, with 3.0+1.0 [aka 4] coming soonish)

The best thing about Eva is that the more you think about it afterwards, the more the philosophical, religious, social, and other aspects of it really rear their heads. There is SO much meat.

*Maark
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4005 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:06 PM

I'm all caught up on OPM and am working my way through AoT, but I hit a snag...I found Ranma 1/2 on Hulu. It's been over 25 years since I watched it, it was a big nostalgia bomb. AoT might be put on hold for a while.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#4006 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 10 July 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

I'm all caught up on OPM and am working my way through AoT, but I hit a snag...I found Ranma 1/2 on Hulu. It's been over 25 years since I watched it, it was a big nostalgia bomb. AoT might be put on hold for a while.

That's a very reasonable distraction to plunge into :headbang: And it's only 100-something episodes, easy peasy

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4007 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:56 AM

So, crunchyroll seems kinda bare for this season. That being said I just discovered the wire so not really feeling it. Also apprently on the other platforms there's good stuff (apaprently we are getting a vinland saga adaptation)

Still digging Demon Slayer.

I also decided to give Dr. Stone a try since everyone else here was talking about it. The first 10 minutes were very bland and the MC very boring. The later 10 minutes somewhat interesting as Im kinda curious as to how they go about re booting civilisation with the power of SCIENCE!!!!!

As a contrast, I've started watching 7 seeds (half way done). It's an interesting show, I like our cast of characters as likeable and as flawed as many of them are. The most recent shelter episode had me riveted, I really like the story telling in that one.

Also aggretsuko season 2, I've been busy so haven't had a chance to watch all of it, but it continues to deliver in terms of how relatable the show is (never met an anai, but I wouldn't take that bullshit)

#4008 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:44 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 11 July 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

Also apprently on the other platforms there's good stuff (apaprently we are getting a vinland saga adaptation)

We are! First 3 episodes all got released at once for some reason. I know nothing about the source material, but it seems pretty intense so far. First 5 minutes had a very high body count.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4009 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:16 AM

Crunchy has this thing going from the last two seasons where they get a glut of new stuff a few weeks into the season.

Apparently Yu-No is a 26 episode run... Nice.

Also Lin... Did you just drop a Tager quote?

ARE YOU MY BOI!?!?

Let's flex this science.

#4010 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:16 AM

View PostD, on 11 July 2019 - 03:44 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 11 July 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

Also apprently on the other platforms there's good stuff (apaprently we are getting a vinland saga adaptation)

We are! First 3 episodes all got released at once for some reason. I know nothing about the source material, but it seems pretty intense so far. First 5 minutes had a very high body count.

so where is it streaming? netflix? amazon?

#4011 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:40 AM

Episode 2 of Danberu nan Kilo Moteru? was great again. This might be my anime of the season already lol.

Isekai Cheat Magician is my shitty isekai of the season. Apparently we're getting Mom and her Multihit Attacks or something soon as well.

#4012 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

Hey guys,

Good season this. Last season was a bit disappointing tbh. I enjoyed the odd few but even those felt like decent "B-side" iterations.

This season started off really well. Vinland Saga is my absolute favourite manga and the animation has managed to do a decent job, what 3D animation we see is beautiful and carefully done.

Now I personally would like it all done in Cell shade animation but I get the reasoning. Vinland Saga is mostly action but spins a LONG yarn of a story. I'm happy to see them do what they've managed so far without losing the brutal overtone from the Manga. It's interesting to note that we don't get to see Thors in the manga till much later on. Thorfinn makes a lot more sense with Thors introduced early but...I wish they'd introduced Thorfinn in his older state first, this backstory was meant to have a lot more shock value...

I'm liking Dr Stone so far,

liking fire force alot less than I thought I would even though its still quite interesting...

Demon hunter is still fantastic

Danberu nan Kilo Moteru? is life.

ALSO the english dub of Nichijou is out and I am very well pleased.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4013 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:46 AM

Did you guys see the teaser/trailer for a new CG Lupin the Third movie they're making?

I think it actually looks pretty good. They've figured out how to make his 3D version have the same shit-eating grin, and that's all that really matters, right?

#4014 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:11 AM

Dr. Stone season 2. Ok, crazy smart high schooler that somehow know a whole bunch of survival stuff. Fine
Magic petrification plague, its the premise of the show fine.

Spoiler

#4015 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:15 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 15 July 2019 - 04:11 AM, said:

Dr. Stone season 2. Ok, crazy smart high schooler that somehow know a whole bunch of survival stuff. Fine

Spoiler

Yeah, it's bizarre. And they seem to be headed towards conflict between Stone and that character. But how can I ever take seriously any sense of danger between them when one can do THAT, and the other can fall off a cliff with no issue? It's like rules and logic only apply when the show says it does.

#4016 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:58 AM

View PostD, on 15 July 2019 - 04:15 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 15 July 2019 - 04:11 AM, said:

Spoiler

Yeah, it's bizarre. And they seem to be headed towards conflict between Stone and that character. But how can I ever take seriously any sense of danger between them when one can do THAT, and the other can fall off a cliff with no issue? It's like rules and logic only apply when the show says it does.

exactly, and its quite frustrating as early on the show establishes that it's all about how Science is the key to overcoming these problems. It's also frustrating as it wasn't exactly necessary to move the plot along in a meaningful way. Ill give it till ep 3 but at this point im tempted to give it a hard pass. It's a shame as im genuinely curious how they will try and restart the civilization clock.

#4017 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

I think the penguin is a metaphor

#4018 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 16 July 2019 - 04:09 AM, said:

The fuck is up with this penguin?

He's great, isn't he?

Picked up a few more shows, including an isekai where the protagonist eats demons to become OP, and a harem involving a mystery about some pantsu.

It's an exciting life I lead.

#4019 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

View PostD, on 16 July 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

I think the penguin is a metaphor

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 July 2019 - 07:41 AM, said:

He's great, isn't he?

PenPen (Pen2) is the SHIZNIT! Seriously, every time that show gets too heavy, I can sit there and think "Misato has a pet penguin with a collar, who lives in a big freezer in her house, and has inexplicable razor sharp claws. He can read, watch TV, drink beer, seems to understand humans, ect." I THINK the intention is that PenPen (who Misato "took/rescued" from her previous job) is supposed to be like a non-Talking Rocket Racoon. Someone's former advanced genetic science experiment.

TL;DR: He's Eva's main comic relief, and he's amazing.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 July 2019 - 07:09 PM

#4020 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:19 AM

Kyoto Animation attacked by an arsonist. Several (up to ten) dead and a lot of injuries.

Apparently the guy (described as a 40yo otaku) was pouring petrol over people and deliberately setting them alight. Fucked up.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users