• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#501 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

View PostGraablick, on 28 August 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

Read the whole Prince of Fools on the train today. Highly enjoyed it, even if it was a bit short for my taste.

Then you'll be pleased to hear that book 2, The Liar's Key, is the longest book I've written, more than twice the length of Prince of Thorns!

#502 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 22 August 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

View PostMark Lawrence, on 21 August 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

View PostCocoreturns, on 20 August 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

And is the June 15 date likely, or is that a case of wild optimism/ sacrificing the wrong kind of chicken/ blind guesswork?

I didn't put that and I suspect it's a guess, but I'm pretty sure it will be in June sometime, probably early. It's all written, 95% publisher edited, & I've seen roughs for the cover.

In summary then, the correct chicken was sacrificed.

Excellent.

View PostMark Lawrence, on 29 August 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Read the whole Prince of Fools on the train today. Highly enjoyed it, even if it was a bit short for my taste.

Then you'll be pleased to hear that book 2, The Liar's Key, is the longest book I've written, more than twice the length of Prince of Thorns!

The correct chicken was indeed selected, you have done well Coco...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#503 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 29 August 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Fantastic!
I really felt bad for the party when they traveled from "Trond" aka Trondheim (where I live now) to nearly the fortress that was not far from Bodø, if the map don't deceive me. Its afterall 600 km. That's one hell of a walk.

This post has been edited by Graablick: 29 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

#504 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hey Mark how did the Shindig go down in London last month? Was gutted I was unable to go.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#505 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

redirect to the thread that is essentially a lobby for a Mark Lawrence subforum:

linky

#506 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 September 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Hey Mark how did the Shindig go down in London last month? Was gutted I was unable to go.

It was great fun. I had a moment of panic when my first task was to introduce Joe Abercrombie, a man I met for the first time 10 minutes earlier and whose books I'v not read, but I winged through it. A longer Q&A would have been good. The place was at capacity with about 200 people. Pub afterwards with a good % of the audience, and much later a good meal with Joe, Myke Cole, Peter Brett and a few others.

I don't get out much (at all) so I can easily say 'best night in years!' :)

#507 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 26 September 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

redirect to the thread that is essentially a lobby for a Mark Lawrence subforum:

linky

Thanks Macalypse, appreciated, but I suspect the other guys are right. I'd rattle around in a big place like a subforum, I think this thread is fine.

#508 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

Now that I have your attention, I want to point out that I thought you achieved some Druss-worthy moments with wossname Viking dude - certain reckless last stand scenes brought a smile to my lips. And I feel like I get our bumbling coward who is not actually a bumbling coward character but I'm just not that interested in him - he sorta meets Jorg and recoils, for good reason - the most interesting person in the room is Jorg, always. You did that so brilliantly so I dunno what's going on with this character and I'm not sure I give a shit about what happens to him.

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 30 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

#509 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 30 September 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

Now that I have your attention, I want to point out that I thought you achieved some Druss-worthy moments with wossname Viking dude - certain reckless last stand scenes brought a smile to my lips. And I feel like I get our bumbling coward who is not actually a bumbling coward character but I'm just not that interested in him - he sorta meets Jorg and recoils, for good reason - the most interesting person in the room is Jorg, always. You did that so brilliantly so I dunno what's going on with this character and I'm not sure I give a shit about what happens to him.

Well that's, OK, no character is going to work for everyone :rant:

65% of readers prefer Jalan to Snorri

http://www.easypolls...4b0c9adf839da09

and a great many of the Goodreads reviews ( https://www.goodread...prince-of-fools ) say that they like the new trilogy (so far) better than the Broken Empire books. It's clear that some readers come to Prince of Fools with a Broken Empire 'hangover' and are unable to recalibrate ... but that's just 'a thing'. Readers quickly form expectations about writers, but in reality most writers are capable of far more varied output than readers expect (this expectation is probably enhanced by publishers stove-piping authors - you want to write something different? choose another pen-name), I gave a collection of short stories to one anthology so they could choose one - it took a while to convince them they were all by me!

Try my short story During the Dance (free on Amazon) - you might see what I mean.

#510 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

So any chance of getting some ARCs for The Liars Key?

I'm totally not begging here. That release date is almost a year away!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#511 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 01 October 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

View PostMalaclypse, on 30 September 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

Well that's, OK, no character is going to work for everyone :rant:

65% of readers prefer Jalan to Snorri

http://www.easypolls...4b0c9adf839da09

and a great many of the Goodreads reviews ( https://www.goodread...prince-of-fools ) say that they like the new trilogy (so far) better than the Broken Empire books. It's clear that some readers come to Prince of Fools with a Broken Empire 'hangover' and are unable to recalibrate ... but that's just 'a thing'. Readers quickly form expectations about writers, but in reality most writers are capable of far more varied output than readers expect (this expectation is probably enhanced by publishers stove-piping authors - you want to write something different? choose another pen-name), I gave a collection of short stories to one anthology so they could choose one - it took a while to convince them they were all by me!

Try my short story During the Dance (free on Amazon) - you might see what I mean.

Fair enough. You're probably right about the 'hangover' - I fucking loved Jorg. Thanks for the reply!

#512 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

Completely new to the thread, have only read Thorns trilogy and haven't read thread beyond page one in case of spoilers.

I dunno, it was good, but not very credible. 'Brazenly stab the leader to death while alone in the midst of all their allies and guards' can only work so many times.

#513 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:54 PM

Have you tried it?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#514 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:21 PM

View Postworry, on 01 October 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

Have you tried it?

Only once.

Did NOT end well.

For future reference, doing it to the head of a Yakuza clan at the annual banquet for his birthday is not a smart idea.

Those buggers really are related to each other.
meh. Link was dead :(

#515 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

I'm currently reading Emperor so I won't peruse the thread too closely in case I spoiler myself. I was reading the bit this morning where Jorg points out that there are no written records left from the Builders because everything is in a computer. Made me really think about what will be left behind by our generations and the future now everything is online. it's pretty strange that we aren't leaving behind anything substantial anymore other than physical spaces and art. I also wondered if there was a slight dig in the ribs by the author at eBooks.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#516 User is offline   K'Chain Bull'shite 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

We have disks made out of sapphire with mountains of information on them that will endure far beyond our extinction, mostly to mark the places we have buried radioactive waste. Weird, isn't it?

This post has been edited by K'Chain Bull'shite: 11 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

I'd rather have enemies than acquaintances that I'm not sure about. I'd rather take you as an enemy, defeat your arguments and make you a friend that way. Fuck compromise.

#517 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

Well at least this year I don't have to compete with an Erikson book!

https://www.goodread...tasy-books-2014

Just all the paranormal fantasy heavy hitters now their category has been abolished :/

#518 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Fantasy 2014
The semi-finals are now open to votes:

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawar...asy-books-2014

The original 15 nominees:

Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks
Night Borken by Patricia Brigs
The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
The Emperor's Blade by Brian Staveley
The Witch with No Name by Kim Harrison
Skin Game by Jim Butcher
The book of LIfe by Deborah Harkness
Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews
The Traitor's Blade by Sebastien De Castell
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
Up from the Graveby Jeaniene Frost
The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman

are now joined by 5 write-ins

Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb
Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan
Shattered by Kevin Hearne
Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop
The Queen of the Tearlings by Erika Johansen

Based on round 2 votes 10 of the 20 titles will go through into the finals.

It's a very tough field this year, especially as the Paranormal Fantasy category has been merged into the Fantasy category, bringing some very popular names like Jim Butcher and Patricia Briggs.

The underdogs need your support Posted Image

#VoteQuimby

Edit: I voted for myself in round 1, but now Robin Hobb has been written in I've actually read a book on the list, and since it's an excellent one I voted for Fool's Assassin.

Over 1 million votes cast so far across the various categories.

This post has been edited by Mark Lawrence: 10 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

#519 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

Prince of Fools, Tower Lord, Skin Game... the dilemma!!!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#520 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

View Postchamp, on 11 November 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Prince of Fools, Tower Lord, Skin Game... the dilemma!!!

Hmmm .... well .... Butcher will get 10s of 1000s of votes and is guaranteed a place in the last 10, so a vote at this stage would be lost in the noise.

Ryan is a write in, which means he missed a ton of votes in round 1 - I've never seen a write-in make the final ... so it could be a wasted vote. But I really liked Blood Song so he likely deserves a place in the final.

And Lawrence .... he might _just_ scrape into the final, so a vote in round 2 could really make a difference.

;)

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users