• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#141 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I just don't get all the raping and pillaging across Europe when Sweden is just full of hotness.

Any excuse, eh Scandinavia?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#142 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Every one need some slaves (trell in Norwegian) to lighten the workload, and in a few generation they will be free.

#143 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 16 February 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

I just don't get all the raping and pillaging across Europe when Sweden is just full of hotness.

Any excuse, eh Scandinavia?

They are so hot because they pillaged across Europe and only brought back the good looking women.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#144 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Mark Lawrence just put out a free Jorg short story, which can be downloaded to kindle or read from here. I'm looking forward to starting it after my current read, not sure where it fits into the timeline though.

#145 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Wonderful, shall start with it now.

#146 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostStalker, on 24 June 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Mark Lawrence just put out a free Jorg short story, which can be downloaded to kindle or read from here. I'm looking forward to starting it after my current read, not sure where it fits into the timeline though.

That was good. I would say that it occurred between king and emperor. His face is burnt and he refers to himself as king.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#147 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

Vengeance said:

1372117695[/url]' post='1065594']

Stalker said:

1372108237[/url]' post='1065562']

That was good. I would say that it occurred between king and emperor. His face is burnt and he refers to himself as king.

Ok cool, thanks. I'll get to it soon, and not long now til Emperor comes out.

#148 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

Good story, though tbqh
Spoiler

Throws up some intriguing details about the way the world works in the books, though.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#149 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostMacros, on 13 February 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

Trond in Norway, oh by do I hope you've included a failed Viking, someone who is so inept they are an embarrassment to their community

But together with his trusty, drunk, irish comrade (the comic relief) he goes on to rebuild his honour and fight crime. They find a formula for beard growth and hand shrinking, and all is well!

View PostMark Lawrence, on 16 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

"What's the north like?" The Nuban girl wasn't so easily deflected.

I tipped the amphora to my mouth, gulping wine while I held my hand out at a steep angle. "Like that." I wiped my lips. "Only icy. All the northmen slip to the coasts where they congregate in miserable villages smelling of fish. It gets very crowded. Every now and then a bunch more come sliding down from the hills on their arses and the only place for the ones closest to the shore is on a boat. And off they sail." I mimicked a ship's progression across the waves. I gave Lula my amphora. "Those horns on their helms?" I made myself two horns, a hand to each side of my head. "Cuckold's horns. The new arrivals are bouncing abed with the wives left behind. Terrible place. Don't ever go there."

That is such an accurate description of Trondheim I cannot help but feel a little chilled. Thankfully, some of us manage to acquire housing on the slopes and thus postpone our inevitable slide to the sea.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#150 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 25 June 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

Good story, though tbqh
Spoiler

Throws up some intriguing details about the way the world works in the books, though.

Two links will help here:

i) The forward that explains this is really a bit of fun. If you think SPOILER was contrived... what about the unsubtle insertion of the whole Sleeping Beauty fairy tale and a cameo by Goldilocks and Hans & Gretel? :) http://mark---lawren...ing-beauty.html

ii) If we were to insert this seriously into the Broken Empire trilogy (& I don't recommend it) then these are the timelines (age on the vertical) http://mark---lawren...time-lines.html and he's 16 in the story - which puts him in both KoT and EoT

#151 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 01 July 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Good story, though tbqh
Spoiler

i) The forward that explains this is really a bit of fun. If you think SPOILER was contrived... what about the unsubtle insertion of the whole Sleeping Beauty fairy tale and a cameo by Goldilocks and Hans & Gretel? Posted Image http://mark---lawren...ing-beauty.html

ii) If we were to insert this seriously into the Broken Empire trilogy (& I don't recommend it) then these are the timelines (age on the vertical) http://mark---lawren...time-lines.html and he's 16 in the story - which puts him in both KoT and EoT

There's also a Jorg story in the Unfettered Anthology - not free, but the money goes to a good cause that isn't me! Also some other guys are in it. Sander Branderson and Patrick Rothsomething... they're supposed to be big deals.

#152 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 03 July 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

View PostMark Lawrence, on 01 July 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Good story, though tbqh
Spoiler

i) The forward that explains this is really a bit of fun. If you think SPOILER was contrived... what about the unsubtle insertion of the whole Sleeping Beauty fairy tale and a cameo by Goldilocks and Hans & Gretel? Posted Image http://mark---lawren...ing-beauty.html

There's also a Jorg story in the Unfettered Anthology - not free, but the money goes to a good cause that isn't me! Also some other guys are in it. Sander Branderson and Patrick Rothsomething... they're supposed to be big deals.

Never heard of them. Did they write any of the vampire novels that I have been hearing so much about.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#153 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

Forgot to say this a couple days ago and nearly forgot again thanks to Chris Weidman/Anderson Silva, but I pre-ordered the hard copy through the site's Amazon affiliate link.

Figure this helps us all going forwards and I will tear through the book when it arrives.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#154 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

View Postamphibian, on 07 July 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Forgot to say this a couple days ago and nearly forgot again thanks to Chris Weidman/Anderson Silva, but I pre-ordered the hard copy through the site's Amazon affiliate link.

Figure this helps us all going forwards and I will tear through the book when it arrives.

Many thanks, pre-orders are much appreciated & help authors a lot!

(less than 3 weeks to go now)

#155 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 15 July 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 07 July 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Many thanks, pre-orders are much appreciated & help authors a lot!

(less than 3 weeks to go now)

Thanks for the reminder you two, pre ordering now.
meh. Link was dead :(

#156 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Så det talas något om Skandinavien och vikingar här? Kan ni förklara det för den här blonde finnen? :-D

I've seen these novels in the English paperback shelf. Maybe I should take a closer look (and make my to-read pile reach Jupiter)?

ETA: Oo, the author's here also? :thumbsup:/>

This post has been edited by Torahammas: 15 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

#157 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostTorahammas, on 15 July 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Så det talas något om Skandinavien och vikingar här? Kan ni förklara det för den här blonde finnen? :-D

I've seen these novels in the English paperback shelf. Maybe I should take a closer look (and make my to-read pile reach Jupiter)?

ETA: Oo, the author's here also? Posted Image/>

Well this gives me my only ever opportunity to exploit the fact I have a review on Finland's premiere fantasy website :thumbsup:

http://www.risingsha...rince-of-thorns

#158 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

This wait is killing me!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#159 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

It's nearly over. then all we have to do is wait for the epic movie or series, it would have been awesome.

#160 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Prince --> King --> Emperor --> God of thorns.

I'm inn.

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users