• You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#41 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

View Postamphibian, on 01 September 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 31 August 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

I have King of Thorns in my possession. Now going outside to read it after work and before my nightly hills/stair run (training for a grappling tournament).

Ok, no run tonight. Finished the book.

It is a constant series of "HE DID WHAT NOW?!?!?" combined with genuinely moving moments and overarching plot ravens coming home to roost on freshly killed corpses.

Jorg is a better/worse Caine. Bravo.

That's a very nice way of putting it! I'd totally have that on the back of book 3 (Ace put a bunch of blogger quotes on the back of King, which I think's a great way to acknowledge the role book bloggers have had in the trilogy's success.

Many thanks & hope you grapple the hell out of your opponents!

#42 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 September 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

Just placed the order for both of them. I'm quite excited to try them out.

Ed: is that map in the HC for bk 1?

The Prince of Thorns map is in all PoT copies as far as I know, definitely in the HC. The King of Thorns map is also in all KoT copies (AFAIK) - I've not got any e-copy/reader so I'm going on faith here!

Hope they go down well!

#43 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

just got the epub from borders/bookworld and its does indeed have the map.
starting this tonight after being thoroughly disapointed by the darkness that comes before

#44 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

Finished it last night.
Great book, I slightly preferred Prince better though.

I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe rereading the two in a while will change my perspective. I think maybe first time reading Prince was just "holy shit he's a cold blooded bastard" so I was expecting that this time, and as such the wow factor was gone.
I'm not entirely sure. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the expanding cast after Princes brutal culling.
some of the elements in building suspense and explaining how things were lost is fantastic to say the least, but I think there was almost too much of it, its one thing for the clever man to set plans in motion, I think the final show down in the highlands had one too many surprises or something.

Absolutely loved the finish of it and I'll admit it shouldnt have caught me by surprise when he took of his helmet, because the second he did, a lot of fragments and scraps of the previous pages fell into place.
I think from a written perspective its a little more polished and foreshadowing is done incredibly well, in fact I can't articulate a proper criticism, I think it was just because I'd met Jorg and co before I wasn't as holy lord impressed with them.
Its close behind Prince in the Macros book list, very close.

Looking forward to see where the series goes from here

#45 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:27 AM

We might as well ask an admin to retitle this thread Prince/King of Thorns. Suspect the next will be Emperor.

I thought this was much better than Prince of Thorns. To make this call, I read KoT, then read PoT and then re-read KoT with an eye towards pacing, callbacks and overall impact. KoT has by far the most touching moments and Lawrence really brought the two different plotlines together at the end (although a first time reader may be hesitant and the combination does end with lingering questions).

My blurb for the series: Mark Lawrence is surprisingly good at making it touching to see a young prince motivated by revenge tear his way in the world by flame and death.

Ok, going spoilers here.

Spoiler

Ok, that's enough for now.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 09 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#46 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

@amph
Re: count renar.
Remember jorg says he's not proudof how he learned to control the killing of.nerve endings.
I figured that he used renar to find out

#47 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Just finished "King." I really enjoyed it. Look forward to "Emperor!"

#48 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostMacros, on 09 September 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

@amph
Re: count renar.
Remember jorg says he's not proudof how he learned to control the killing of.nerve endings.
I figured that he used renar to find out

Ah, yes, I was wondering where that came from. I didn't connect it to Renar as you did, but that makes a good deal of sense. He's probably the only person besides the Moors in the Horse Coast that Jorg really had the time to experiment with the torturing.

I do wonder how he broke the Moors, but it's not super-important.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#49 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

View Postamphibian, on 09 September 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

We might as well ask an admin to retitle this thread Prince/King of Thorns. Suspect the next will be Emperor.

I thought this was much better than Prince of Thorns. To make this call, I read KoT, then read PoT and then re-read KoT with an eye towards pacing, callbacks and overall impact. KoT has by far the most touching moments and Lawrence really brought the two different plotlines together at the end (although a first time reader may be hesitant and the combination does end with lingering questions).

There's a poll here on Prince or King. 50 votes so far, 70% think King was the better book.

http://www.twiigs.co...rtainment/98323

The final book in the trilogy will fill in some of the blanks between the two threads in King, as well as progress past the second thread.

This post has been edited by Mark Lawrence: 10 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

#50 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

I changed the thread title. You may now bask in my achievement. Bask!

#51 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:33 AM

There will be no basking.
Not one fucking bit.
Also, rodeo, start training your liver for April 2013

Training hard

#52 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostBriar King, on 13 September 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

Got my HC edi of Prince in mail today and Im so aggrevated...Its all bent on the edges, the dust jacket is rumpled, and there is a sharpie mark on the bottom. WTF...It was listed as brand new!

Well that's disappointing. Where did you buy it from?

#53 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Got my HC edi of Prince in mail today and Im so aggrevated...Its all bent on the edges, the dust jacket is rumpled, and there is a sharpie mark on the bottom. WTF...It was listed as brand new!

You outta go on Amazon and give it one star because of this. Just kidding. I've actually seen numerous one star reviews because of stuff like this. Bunch of dumb shits. Daniel Abraham's The Price of Spring has a one star rank from some dumbass for similar reasons.

On topic - Finished King last week. Fucking loved it. Can't wait for Emperor.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#54 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostMacros, on 02 September 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

thoroughly disapointed by the darkness that comes before

Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one around who thought that book was disappointing.

I'll be getting the Thorn books a shot now after reading these reviews. Thanks guys.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#55 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostBaco Xtath, on 15 September 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

You outta go on Amazon and give it one star because of this. Just kidding. I've actually seen numerous one star reviews because of stuff like this. Bunch of dumb shits. Daniel Abraham's The Price of Spring has a one star rank from some dumbass for similar reasons.

Well ... since you mentioned Amazon ratings and 1*s and that you loved the book... you could check out King of Thorns' only 1* on Amazon http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1 and maybe state your own opinion :)

#56 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

This book was wicked good. Mr. Lawrence proves that pure crystal prose is really fucking sharp if you decide to stab people in the guts with it. I love the combination of beauty and brutality this has going on.

Funnily, it seems that English speakers in Berlin must really love this series, since every bookshop I've been in in my stay thus far with an English language section has being carrying both Prince and King. Though which bright spark in one of them decided Prince (though not King, somehow) belonged in the children's section, I'm not sure.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#57 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 15 September 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostBaco Xtath, on 15 September 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Well ... since you mentioned Amazon ratings and 1*s and that you loved the book... you could check out King of Thorns' only 1* on Amazon http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1 and maybe state your own opinion :)

That's fucking bullshit! What a douche! And yeah I'll definitely go on there and throw a five star to King, it deserves it.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#58 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

Just finished book 1. Slightly underwhelmed given the rave reviews you guys have been giving it. Still enjoyed it, but I really wanted Jorg to be what he was presented as, rather than the backtrack we got at the end. There were some very frantically handwaved moments plotwise, too. Prose, though, was excellent, and dialogue also. But I fail to be convinced that a 13-year-old boy would be capable of the kinds of physical feats Jorg managed -- that felt really like wish-fulfilment, and there was a part of me that read it with one eyebrow permanently raised.

I'll wait for the MPB to read the 2nd, I think.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#59 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

I still await completion of the series.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#60 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostOtataral Toblakai, on 23 September 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

I still await completion of the series.

That'll be on August 1st then! The trilogy was written before the first book hit the shelves.

The cover is coming on nicely: http://mark---lawren...-cover-iii.html

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users