• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#21 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

Finished Prince of Thorns last week and can't wait for the sequel who's only due to be released 4. august in europe(?)

#22 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Postchamp, on 19 February 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

The next book is out 16th August 2012 if anyone is interested... I personally cannot wait!

As of yesterday I no longer have to ^_^ The year did seem a helluva long wait though!

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hey, when I ordered the book from Amazon no one offered me a coffee cup. Nor a map.. tsk tsk.

Nice to see there's more book this time around though.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#24 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 04 July 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 19 February 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

The next book is out 16th August 2012 if anyone is interested... I personally cannot wait!

As of yesterday I no longer have to ^_^ The year did seem a helluva long wait though!

Posted Image

I know its your book and all but you should be made to wait like the rest of us haha!

Looks a quality collection, the map coming with any book?!

I started rereading Prince of Thorns last night in preparation for the release and I forgot just how much I enjoyed this book - Jorg is just misunderstood if you ask me!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#25 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

View Postchamp, on 04 July 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Looks a quality collection, the map coming with any book?!

I started rereading Prince of Thorns last night in preparation for the release and I forgot just how much I enjoyed this book - Jorg is just misunderstood if you ask me!

There _is_ a map with each book, but sadly not a 14" x 10" printed-on-canvas one. For that and the mug and all manner of goodies you'd have to enter The Stupidly Huge Giveaway http://mark---lawren...e-giveaway.html

Have fun with the re-read!

#26 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 04 July 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

There _is_ a map with each book, but sadly not a 14" x 10" printed-on-canvas one. For that and the mug and all manner of goodies you'd have to enter The Stupidly Huge Giveaway http://mark---lawren...e-giveaway.html

Have fun with the re-read!

Thanks for writing these books. Keep kicking tucchus. When you despair at the thought of those of the audience at large that say "Ugh, sounds too mean", remember that there are those that are willing to trust you and really like what you've done with the story and they tell others about the good books.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

Finished this and was blown the hell away by it.

http://icebergink.bl...horns-mark.html
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   champ 

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 August 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Finished this and was blown the hell away by it.

http://icebergink.bl...horns-mark.html

Brilliant isn't it and you know what's even better... the new book King of Thorns is out today!

edit

Just read the review QT, nice! See you also got the new book, I cannot wait to devour it!

This post has been edited by champ: 16 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Tehol said:

#29 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, I quite enjoyed this book too. The excerpt for King of Thorns just whetted my appetite for this newest book.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#30 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:30 AM

I went into prince of thorns cold, no reviews or blurb, just the assurance from a member here that the main character was a brutal bastard but the book was great.
I got it in eBook form from borders and it came with no map, finishing the book (well getting about halfway through actually) pit the setting properly in context for me, had I had the map or read a blurb I like to think I would have twigged a lot sooner as to where and when the novel is set.
Loved the book, can't wait to get enough free time to read the second (I recently started the counts of Monte cristo but Its gonna get sidelined the second borders comes back online!)
But yeah, a map would have set the context better for me, bit it was one of those novels where it wasn't really needed.

Keep up the good work me Lawrence

#31 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 August 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

I went into prince of thorns cold, no reviews or blurb, just the assurance from a member here that the main character was a brutal bastard but the book was great.
I got it in eBook form from borders and it came with no map, finishing the book (well getting about halfway through actually) pit the setting properly in context for me, had I had the map or read a blurb I like to think I would have twigged a lot sooner as to where and when the novel is set.
Loved the book, can't wait to get enough free time to read the second (I recently started the counts of Monte cristo but Its gonna get sidelined the second borders comes back online!)
But yeah, a map would have set the context better for me, bit it was one of those novels where it wasn't really needed.

Keep up the good work me Lawrence

Hi Macros - sorry (& surprised) to hear your e-copy didn't have a map. I know the kindle version has one. I can't imagine the thinking behind removing it from other formats. In truth though I only added a map in at the last moment because the publisher asked me to. Genre readers like maps, they said. OK, I said. Now there is one though I'm pleased about it and think it should be in all copies. You can find the King of Thorns map here http://www.princeoft...m/king_map.html

#32 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

I checked there again (have the reader at work, we're really tryig to stretch this job out :rolleyes:) there is a map, I must have bounced past it in my eagerness to get to the start.
Probably the biggest problem I have with readers, if there is a map its almost better to print them out as its a pain to try and flick back like I would in a paper back.
Its smaller than the map for king though, only shows france and Netherlands, as if were (arrow at the top, gelleth on the right and rhonne at the bottom)
Hopefully getting king tonight, but half way though the first banker book, its being finished first.
Always great to see an author posting to fans, quick question ( don't want tomake this a q&a) you a Malazan fan or did you find your way here due to the topics discussing your work?

#33 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostMacros, on 26 August 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

I checked there again (have the reader at work, we're really tryig to stretch this job out :rolleyes:) there is a map, I must have bounced past it in my eagerness to get to the start.
Probably the biggest problem I have with readers, if there is a map its almost better to print them out as its a pain to try and flick back like I would in a paper back.
Its smaller than the map for king though, only shows france and Netherlands, as if were (arrow at the top, gelleth on the right and rhonne at the bottom)
Hopefully getting king tonight, but half way though the first banker book, its being finished first.
Always great to see an author posting to fans, quick question ( don't want tomake this a q&a) you a Malazan fan or did you find your way here due to the topics discussing your work?

Good to hear the map was lurking in there somewhere!

I found this group through Werthead who posted his Prince of Thorns review to a number of popular forums. Malazan is (by all accounts) a treat I have waiting for me. I post a fair bit on the ASOIAF forum, SFF World, & Fantasy Faction. Here, because I've not yet read the series, I confine my activity to this thread.

Interacting with readers is one of the most enjoyable parts of the whole writing thing for me. I think being a pre-internet author would have been far less interesting (though more lucrative).

#34 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 28 August 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 26 August 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Good to hear the map was lurking in there somewhere!

I found this group through Werthead who posted his Prince of Thorns review to a number of popular forums. Malazan is (by all accounts) a treat I have waiting for me. I post a fair bit on the ASOIAF forum, SFF World, & Fantasy Faction. Here, because I've not yet read the series, I confine my activity to this thread.

Interacting with readers is one of the most enjoyable parts of the whole writing thing for me. I think being a pre-internet author would have been far less interesting (though more lucrative).

I really liked the ideas of your first book, and I can't wait to see what's waiting for me with King of Thorns.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#35 User is offline   champ 

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

The second book is just as brilliant as the first, a pleasure to read, it got devoured in less than a day! Roll on 2013!

Tehol said:

#36 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

I've just picked this one up and I am getting sucked in! Will post more as I read further...

@Mark. DO put Malaz on your reading list, I think you'll enjoy it! Then you can participate in the general shenanigans of this site! WIN!
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#37 User is offline   champ 

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 28 August 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

Then you can participate in the general shenanigans of this site! WIN!

We don't want to scare him off just yet...

Tehol said:

#38 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

I adored PRINCE OF THORNS as is evidenced in my review...and I've got the hardcover KING OF THORNS in my ToRead pile...but I've been purposely saving it for my week off at the Toronto Film Fest so I have something wonderfully engrossing to read in the lines. I'm very excited to get into it.

@ Mark. It's really great to see author's dropping by here. Thanks for hanging out a bit with us fans. We obviously love your work sir.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#39 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

I have King of Thorns in my possession. Now going outside to read it after work and before my nightly hills/stair run (training for a grappling tournament).

#40 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

View Postamphibian, on 31 August 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

I have King of Thorns in my possession. Now going outside to read it after work and before my nightly hills/stair run (training for a grappling tournament).

Ok, no run tonight. Finished the book.

It is a constant series of "HE DID WHAT NOW?!?!?" combined with genuinely moving moments and overarching plot ravens coming home to roost on freshly killed corpses.

Jorg is a better/worse Caine. Bravo.

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users