• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#81 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Ewww. You're up against the Yearded one(Goodkind). Tough shit, man. I've only read Daniel Abraham's King's Blood out of those. I own King's Wind Through the Keyhole but I've yet to read it. Anyway, voted yours as best fantasy and Wheel-mouse write in for best picture book. Good luck.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#82 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hm. Needs more Forge of Darkness and/or Caine's Law.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#83 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

I guess I'm winning with 3. I've read King, Blinding Knife, and Percepliquis. Also have copies of The King's Blood and The Killing Moon in my TRP.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 02 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

#84 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Read three - Lawrence, Sullivan and Abraham.

Can't be bothered with four - Bishop, Canavan, Jenisin and Hobb - i've read prior works by them all and didn't find them that engaging.

Actively fancy reading two - Weeks and Fforde, again based on previous form.

Would perhaps risk four if bored - Joyce, Flewelling, King, Ahmed

Have no clues whatsoever on one - Wilson.

Would willingly actively torture the 'author' of one - TG/badkind/Yearded One/Total C**t of a human being - if it weren't for the fact that I suspect he has enormously masochistic tendencies and would probably get a thrill from it.
meh. Link was dead :(

#85 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

I really, really liked the 'revelation' that Tall Castle is a parking garage. In the first book, I more or less reasoned it was a parallel world, rather than an apocalyptic one, although the 'dena' thing was a bit too obvious to miss, I guess - I did, though :thumbsup: .

Very good books, probably get better with a re-read, too - although I do wonder how the trilogy can be wrapped up in one more book - unless Jorg won't sit on an Imperial Throne in the end (or just gets elected - but I doubt many would like him as an overlord).
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#86 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostTapper, on 10 November 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

Very good books, probably get better with a re-read, too - although I do wonder how the trilogy can be wrapped up in one more book - unless Jorg won't sit on an Imperial Throne in the end (or just gets elected - but I doubt many would like him as an overlord).

Spoiler

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#87 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I really, really liked the 'revelation' that Tall Castle is a parking garage. In the first book, I more or less reasoned it was a parallel world, rather than an apocalyptic one, although the 'dena' thing was a bit too obvious to miss, I guess - I did, though :lol: .

Glad you're enjoying them! I think they do benefit from re-reading. In fact I've seen about a dozen people post vastly improved opinions of the first book on a re-read.

At first I was surprised what people miss in the books - but I guess I probably miss pretty big items in stories too and often never find out that I did. I never twigged to Ender's Game until the twist was actually dropped in my lap :thumbsup:

In other news: Wheel-Mouse made it into the Goodreads Choice Award semi-finals!
http://www.goodreads...t-Picture-Books

You can vote on it and any of the other polls (King of Thorns is up for best fantasy 2012) - it's round 2 so everyone can vote again.

And of course the fact that a certain million-selling Mr Erikson has joined the party may lose me a few votes! In fact I'm shooting myself in both feet by mentioning it here ... forget I spoke!

This post has been edited by Mark Lawrence: 12 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

#88 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 14 November 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

Lmao @ Mark!

I do have a question for you though you probly can't answer ATM since 3 is not out yet or the contract forbids you to answer. Its cool if you cant now. You've created a fucking awesome world that Jorg lives in with a lot of questions of how the world got to its present state with all the B Suns. Do you have any interest or plans to do a prequel type series or bk?

I'm working on other tales in the same 'universe' but with different characters. I don't have any plans to go back in time - a pre-apocalypse book would be a very different prospect, outright science fiction with a somewhat predictable ending ;) But that's not to say I'll never go there. All things are possible. Well ... a lot anyhow.

#89 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 14 November 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

I'm working on other tales in the same 'universe' but with different characters. I don't have any plans to go back in time - a pre-apocalypse book would be a very different prospect, outright science fiction with a somewhat predictable ending ;) But that's not to say I'll never go there. All things are possible. Well ... a lot anyhow.

Thank you for preserving your unpredictability. I flat out love it when I cannot predict what is going to happen next and it's extremely well done.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#90 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostBriar King, on 15 November 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

View PostMark Lawrence, on 14 November 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 14 November 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

Lmao @ Mark!

I do have a question for you though you probly can't answer ATM since 3 is not out yet or the contract forbids you to answer. Its cool if you cant now. You've created a fucking awesome world that Jorg lives in with a lot of questions of how the world got to its present state with all the B Suns. Do you have any interest or plans to do a prequel type series or bk?

I'm 110% good with this response!

And so am I. Cant wait for your next release.

#91 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

I would really, REALLY like to see more of the Brothers.
Those chapter openers in PRINCE were great fun but the characters themselves didn't have much 'on screen' time to show us what was teased.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#92 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 November 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

I really, really liked the 'revelation' that Tall Castle is a parking garage. In the first book, I more or less reasoned it was a parallel world, rather than an apocalyptic one, although the 'dena' thing was a bit too obvious to miss, I guess - I did, though ^_^ .

Yeah the parking garage was the shit. My knowledge of Europe isn't all that great so I'm going out on a limb saying that Ancrath/Highlands is France or Germany?

I'd sure love to see a map of my beautiful America(Louisiana although my area is prob underwater being only 40 miles north if Gulf of Mexico)!?

These might help: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GJrCceCilFY & http://www.princeoft...m/king_map.html

Ancrath and Renar are both bits of France. The Tall Castle is part of Paris.

#93 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostCocoreturns, on 02 November 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

Read three - Lawrence, Sullivan and Abraham.

Can't be bothered with four - Bishop, Canavan, Jenisin and Hobb - i've read prior works by them all and didn't find them that engaging.

Actively fancy reading two - Weeks and Fforde, again based on previous form.

Would perhaps risk four if bored - Joyce, Flewelling, King, Ahmed

Have no clues whatsoever on one - Wilson.

Would willingly actively torture the 'author' of one - TG/badkind/Yearded One/Total C**t of a human being - if it weren't for the fact that I suspect he has enormously masochistic tendencies and would probably get a thrill from it.

Well Sullivan and Abraham went out in the semis. As did Erikson who was a write-in. When the book was released obviously has a big effect. Erikson's entry came out close to the poll leaving little time for people to have read it.

Goodkind is still in! So if you don't want him to win it's beholden to you to vote for someone else :sofa:

Today is the last chance to vote! http://www.goodreads...80-Best-Fantasy

#94 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

+1 for King of Thorns.

Also, thank you for the Youtube link. That's very nifty. I had figured Arrow was actually a part of Belgium instead of France - goes to show how bad my topography knowledge is nowadays :sofa: Something seriously went wrong with the Dutch water management system to be flooded that badly... or maybe we did it on purpose!

correct alt.

#95 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostTapper, on 27 November 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

+1 for King of Thorns.

Also, thank you for the Youtube link. That's very nifty. I had figured Arrow was actually a part of Belgium instead of France - goes to show how bad my topography knowledge is nowadays :sofa: Something seriously went wrong with the Dutch water management system to be flooded that badly... or maybe we did it on purpose!

correct alt.

There's a mermaid named Tapper making an apperance in Emperor of Thorns.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#96 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 27 November 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

+1 for King of Thorns.

Also, thank you for the Youtube link. That's very nifty. I had figured Arrow was actually a part of Belgium instead of France - goes to show how bad my topography knowledge is nowadays :thumbsup: Something seriously went wrong with the Dutch water management system to be flooded that badly... or maybe we did it on purpose!

correct alt.

I know you love me, but that's too much honor. And you're misleading the author, too.

But I'd totally dig that.

#97 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostTapper, on 04 December 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

+1 for King of Thorns.

Also, thank you for the Youtube link. That's very nifty. I had figured Arrow was actually a part of Belgium instead of France - goes to show how bad my topography knowledge is nowadays :thumbsup: Something seriously went wrong with the Dutch water management system to be flooded that badly... or maybe we did it on purpose!

correct alt.

I know you love me, but that's too much honor. And you're misleading the author, too.

Perhaps the little girl in King of Thorns dreamed you up in her heroin dreams?

Tapper the mermaid and her lovely tops!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#98 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostObdigore, on 04 December 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

+1 for King of Thorns.

correct alt.

Watch as she frolics through the algea!

#99 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 05 December 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

+1 for King of Thorns.

correct alt.

10 bucks tapper the mermaid sets off a builders sun that destroys a fleet that is going to destroy the Emperor of Thorns.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#100 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostObdigore, on 05 December 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 05 December 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

+1 for King of Thorns.

correct alt.

10 bucks tapper the mermaid sets off a builders sun that destroys a fleet that is going to destroy the Emperor of Thorns.

I'm betting she'll try to ensnare the Emperor with her feminine charms.

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users