• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#181 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

On to King already, so be there soon........
meh. Link was dead :(

#182 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Was it just me or did everyone's firewall block this whole site with a virus warning for a week?

#183 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostMark Lawrence, on 06 August 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Was it just me or did everyone's firewall block this whole site with a virus warning for a week?

http://forum.malazan...78#entry1076278

Seems to be an issue with those using Avast as their anti-virus protection.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#184 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

Fuck your firewalls. I am 193 pages into the 434 pages of deliciousness this is.

A ton of questions are answered and it's as if we're in the midst of a literary charge by a gottdammerung rhino.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#185 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ended up with two copies of this (bought a copy at the bookstore thinking it had been out a while and I musn't have pre-ordered, then received an email the next day that amazon had just dispatched the copy i pre-ordered) I enjoyed Emperor more than King (I wasn't a fan of the structure of King). Emperor kept a similar structure, but it seemed to pull things off better, with better foreshadowing etc, with the two different timelines working better together.

#186 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Well I just power read that and it was pure pleasure. Just a sledgehammer between the eye. Nothing disappointed not the build up or the end. Well done.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#187 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Damnit, my usual bookshop better have this on Monday, it's irritating me green that I can't get a hold on it where I'm now.

#188 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Well, I'm about 100 pages into EMPEROR OF THORNS...and I think I can now safely say that this trilogy is going to get a place of honour on my shelves. I'm not even halfway into it and the final book of the trilogy is absolutely kicking my ass and sucking me in.

Oh, and were others aware that though Jorg's story ends in this book, Lawrence's next series is also set in this world, just concerning a different protagonist and a different tale? Consider me SUPER excited! Title and synopsis below.

Prince of Fools (The Red Queen’s War #1)

This is the first book of a planned trilogy titled The Red Queen’s War.

These books are set in the Broken Empire and cover the same two decades that we dipped into during Jorg’s tale [see Broken Empire trilogy]. The trilogy is stand-alone, i.e, it's not required that you read the Broken Empire trilogy first.

The story follows the fortunes of Jalan Kendeth, an arrogant and cowardly womanizer, a bully and a cheat. Our ‘hero’ has lived his life in luxury and plans to continue doing so. Things start to go wrong when poor judgement entangles him in the adventures of an axe-wielding barbarian from the frozen north...

Prince of Fools shows us the world of the Broken Empire with a thicker vein of humor than Jorg’s tale, but it’s the same bloodstained place and from time to time we catch a glimpse of Jorg and his friends in the background.

I’m halfway through the second of the three books now and having fun with it! I hope you will too.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#189 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 August 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Things start to go wrong when poor judgement entangles him in the adventures of an axe-wielding barbarian from the frozen north...

If the setting's (An alternate?) Europe, is he from what the Norse called Kvenland? :-D

#190 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostTorahammas, on 09 August 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 August 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Things start to go wrong when poor judgement entangles him in the adventures of an axe-wielding barbarian from the frozen north...

If the setting's a future Europe, is he from what the Norse called Kvenland? :-D

Fixed that for you.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#191 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Emperor of Thorns is good. It's so good I wish I could marry it. The ending was one of the best endings I have ever read.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#192 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

I've read "Prince" and I was a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I did like it. It just I'm not a big "anti-hero" fan. I do have a question: How are the next two books in comparison? Better, same, worse? Thanks.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#193 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostEddie Dean, on 09 August 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I've read "Prince" and I was a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I did like it. It just I'm not a big "anti-hero" fan. I do have a question: How are the next two books in comparison? Better, same, worse? Thanks.

Well I enjoyed the shit out of all of the books. So I am probably not a good person to tell you to read on man because I thought the first one was good.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#194 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

They are much better, but he continues to be a massive anti-hero, so if you don't like that sort of thing I wouldn't suggest these books to you.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#195 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Having read the first two, I'd say that Jorg definitely matures in the second book. (I was going to say mellows but that's not quite the right word.) Certainly he shows more doubts about his amorality, and more kindness. He actually had some rather touching moments, which was surprising.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#196 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostObdigore, on 09 August 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

They are much better, but he continues to be a massive anti-hero, so if you don't like that sort of thing I wouldn't suggest these books to you.

It's not that I don't like them. More like they are not my preference. I liked the first one enough that hearing the next two are better makes me want to give them a whirl. Thanks.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#197 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

I LOVE this stuff - most exciting author since Steve for me and by a long way. <insert every unflattering thing I've said about other authors recently>

I love that Jorg is utterly unflappable. Which is not to say that he is fearless or sensible - he just remains calm while he's making lunatic decisions and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

and Jorg survives. And it's credible, or at least it is to me because the prose sold it to me, that's the important thing. The whole world wants Jorg dead and he accepts that risk and approaches the problem with impossible boldness and what an incredible story! Absolutely loved it.

For me, this is a series to identify worth in my personal relationships. If you don't like this series, I'd want to debate it with you and you need to have good reasons for not liking this and if you don't and persist in not liking it, then we are enemies.

I have criticisms, mind you, but I will save them for another post.

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 09 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

#198 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

To risk spoilers, I don't think Jorg
Spoiler

MODGOD NOTICE OF SPOILERS BLOCKED

This post has been edited by Abyss: 10 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#199 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

@Amphibian
You absolutely must spoiler tag your post.

#200 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

View Postnacht, on 10 August 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

@Amphibian
You absolutely must spoiler tag your post.

Spoiler tags appreciated - it's really a book that spoilers damage.

If you've read all three - which is 'best'? Vote here:

http://www.easypolls...4b0dc6104ade77c

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users