The game I'm playing is...

#4081 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:55 AM

View PostTraveller, on 02 April 2021 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostSerenity, on 02 April 2021 - 09:52 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 02 April 2021 - 06:53 AM, said:

I'm a bit undecided about whether I like it or not. I'm going to just pick a weapon I like and go with it, and see how it goes.

I've gone with the Charge Blade, as I found it very satisfying in World, but the tutorial in Rise doesn't even tell you the most important instructions - how to charge your shield and then the blade. The only way I could find out how to do that, rather than stumble around button mashing in the hope of hitting the right combination, was to watch a YT vid.

I've always loved the idea of the MH games more than the actual playing of them, at least to start off with. But Rise, as with the others I've played, has got its hooks in after a few hours and now I'm loving it. I'm still utter shite at it, but it's so much fun, and it's so great to have MH back on handheld and have it looking so beautiful and running so smoothly even then.

Is the charge blade the one that separates into sword and shield and back into an axe? I had a go in training, seemed a bit complicated in an already overcomplicated system! I'm still hitting menu buttons accidentally during combat, and why are there 4 shortcut menus?! It's not a shortcut when you have 36 slots and you can't find a goddamn potion!

Yeah, that's the charge blade. It's actually not as complicated as it seems at first, and it's pretty awesome once you know how to charge the shield and sword and start realising its damage potential, but the fact that the tutorial tells you none of that beggars belief.

Have you customised your shortcuts? I've put all the most important things on the first radial menu. I totally understand what you mean about hitting menu buttons accidentally, though, especially in the first few hours. The number of times I've sheathed my weapon instead of attacking, lol. Muscle memory seems to be a big factor in MH games. Once you get it you'll start to enjoy it more, I expect, but it's having the patience to reach that stage that's the problem.

#4082 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:17 AM

Oh I'm enjoying it already despite a few niggles. Just heading out and exploring is fun. Just discovered the cooking spit thing too!
Yeah it seems weird to have evade moves only available when you've sheathed your sword? I'm mid fight, some big beast is charging in, and to perform the quick wire bug evade you have to hit y first to put the sword away - same when picking up and scavenging. Seems unnecessary.

Are you just supposed to stick with one set and upgrade it, or are there enough upgrade materials to keep upgrading everything? I'm used to Souls games where once you start upgrading something, you only have limited resources and have to stick with it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4083 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:39 PM

View PostTraveller, on 03 April 2021 - 11:17 AM, said:

Oh I'm enjoying it already despite a few niggles. Just heading out and exploring is fun. Just discovered the cooking spit thing too!
Yeah it seems weird to have evade moves only available when you've sheathed your sword? I'm mid fight, some big beast is charging in, and to perform the quick wire bug evade you have to hit y first to put the sword away - same when picking up and scavenging. Seems unnecessary.

Are you just supposed to stick with one set and upgrade it, or are there enough upgrade materials to keep upgrading everything? I'm used to Souls games where once you start upgrading something, you only have limited resources and have to stick with it.

You can forge new equipment as much as you want, as you'll be getting the materials on each hunt. It's probably best to have an armour set with each elemental resistance for when you come up against the monsters that use those elements against you. The vital thing is that you use armour spheres to upgrade so it's best to hold onto those until you find a set you're going to use for a while, if/when you reach high rank hunts I think.

#4084 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:42 PM

Reached lvl 10 in Outriders and gave up on the game. If there was a drought in games I might have played it some more but there's just so many other potentially much better games on the market.

Instead I jumped into Watch Dogs Legion. So far it's your garden variety Ubisoft open world game. Competent but limited in many ways.

One thing that really spices the game up is playing with perma death. I have four DedSec recruits and I actually get nervous now when I get in to a gunfight or chased by the police. Good stuff.

#4085 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:48 AM

Look at these dunky charge blade users not showing the glorious helicopter its proper reverence. Tsk!

Don't have a switch so can't play Rise but on World I have 200 hours in the Insect Glaive. God, I love it. Feels great when a Glavenus does his tail munch and then swipes and misses entirely because I'm sailing gracefully overhead, ready to mount him and give him the old Dale Winton*.

*BRING ON THE WALL

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4086 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:41 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 07 April 2021 - 07:48 AM, said:

Look at these dunky charge blade users not showing the glorious helicopter its proper reverence. Tsk!

https://youtu.be/DHqYiIISxgU?t=172

:lol:

#4087 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:57 AM

View PostSerenity, on 07 April 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 07 April 2021 - 07:48 AM, said:

https://youtu.be/DHqYiIISxgU?t=172

:lol:

How can we get this to embed so I can view on works computer, hmm...

#4088 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

It's got something to do with the linkformat. Try this:

#4089 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, it didn't seem to like that I was linking to the point where he talks about charge blade and insect glaive.

#4090 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

View PostAptorian, on 05 April 2021 - 07:42 PM, said:

Reached lvl 10 in Outriders and gave up on the game. If there was a drought in games I might have played it some more but there's just so many other potentially much better games on the market.

I am debating as to whether to purchase Outriders or not, I was looking for a good co-op game to play with my mate but I think I am going to wait until the price comes down before considering again.

I started to play The Witness yesterday, such an easy going chilled game, was a nice change of pace compared to what I normally play, only completed 50 panels or so but I will be going back to play it again today,enjoying it.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4091 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:57 AM

The Witness is one of my greatest gaming experiences, and I will never stop going on about how good that game is :D

So satisfying, so deep, even better playing with a friend or partner when you realise how differently your brains work when it comes to different types of puzzles.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#4092 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

Hey guys, check it out, it's the lead singer (Torsten Hoarfrost) for the blackened, viking pagan metal band - Hellbroth.

https://www.youtube....h?v=woiPB5tjvZU

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4093 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

Been playing a lot more Watch Dogs Legion.

I haven't gotten that far into the story yet but I've freed all the Burroughs and recruited about a dozen DedSec members. I find myself mostly playing with the Spy character type. He's got a very precise silenced pistol - Which I use to murder pretty much all the baddies.

I guess you should be playing non-lethal. Like in the last game, because DedSec don't kill people but Albion and Clan Kelly are monsters. They're basically techno Nazis. I make sure to kill every last one of the fuckers. Quite satisfying really.

Also imagining a future where the kinds of drones that are used in this game are common place is scary. When ever I hijack an Anti terrorism drone I feel like a flying terminator.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 15 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

#4094 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 April 2021 - 04:03 PM

You guys been having a quiet video game quarter like me?

I've just been playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla and progressing the story a bit and trying to find EVERYTHING. So it's been slow going. But as the saying goes: Slow Is Steady, Steady Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast. I'm going to try to 100% it as best I can. I'm up to 302 level and I've picked off half the Zealots now. At the start they are not to be screwed with, like tuck your tail between your legs and get to steppin' type of don't screw with them. I've also peeled off most of the legendary beasts. Going this route (ignoring the story missions) has really taken the wind out of the sails of the story though. I'm not sure what the situation is with Eivor. I do sense there is some treachery and backstabbing coming up though. I've been going with Bear build, but now am rocking Raven build (have all the pieces, just need my blacksmith to make mythic what already isn't). I think I'm going to pivot to Wolf build though, because Eivor is known as "wolf-kissed". Anyway, the war horn blows, I must answer.

Also think I'm going to jump into (what seems to be) the last DLC for Borderlands 3. It's supposed to have a murder mystery mission run by Ava. Ava seems to be the most hated character, ever, in a video game (Bing: why is Ava hated so much). So to fly in the face of popular sentiment, I'm going to play it, to there... pttthhh *raspberries-with-tongue-sticking-out

#4095 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 April 2021 - 04:20 PM

I've given up on AC Rogue. Just wasn't feeling it which is strange as Black Flag is my favourite in the series.

I still have a bit of Uncharted 2 and all of the third one to play but again I'm not really massively loving that either.

I really want to play Ghost of Tsushima but it's still pretty expensive. Guess I'm just gonna do other stuff instead of gaming for the time being.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4096 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:19 AM

The floor is indeed lava!

#4097 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:29 AM

I picked up Wasteland 3 at 50% off on Steam last weekend so I've been playing a bit of that. Only about 5 hours in but I really like how XCOM the combat has become.

Also, a bit of MH Rise. I like that I can dip in and out of it, do a hunt or two and then go and play something else.

#4098 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:07 AM

I asked for a little head.

https://www.youtube....h?v=1UjU9lnAGso

Posted Image

#4099 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:18 PM

w00t! Lent is over, I'm back to gaming!

Beat the last boss in "Foregone". Not too tough, got him on third try, I think. Don't feel like NG+ right now, though I'll probably do a run eventually, just to get the last 3 achievements for grinding out all the skill trees.

Started "Blasphemous". Man, this game.... it's no cakewalk. SO many insta-death pitfalls, and some of the enemies are real dicks.

Made it to the boss room in the Charred Visage Cathedral. This boss is basically bullet hell. I suck at bullet hell games. I think I might need to backtrack through the cathedral and try a different path to get some more upgrades so that I don't die as much.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4100 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:45 PM

I've not been playing that many "games" recently - But I have had an idle incremental game relapse. I find that when I'm watching TV it helps keep me seated to have an idle game in hand.

So, I've begun playing 3 idle games at once.

I'm playing both Adventure Communist and Adventure Ages, which are basically the same game, only Ages was reskinned because some people objected to the communist theme. The two games are sequels to Adventure Capitalist, only better and more stream lined. You start the game clicking on a few buttons at the beginning and soon you're earning chests that unlock currencies and cards that you use to upgrade heroes, that automate, speed up and enhance the output of the various ressources you unlock as you play further and further into the game. It's simple and fun.

And then I started playing Kittens. Oh boy. This is an insideous idle game. The tag line "The dark souls of incremental gaming" is no joke. It's not so much an idle game as it's a spread sheet management game.

I've been playing the game for a few weeks and the game keeps opening up deeper and deeper subsystems that all feed into one another. You harvest catnip to feed your kittens. You harvest wood and minerals to build houses and libraries, etc. Then you start collecting metal and coal to upgrade stuff. And luxury items to trade. And soon I'm progressing through the history of kitten civilization, unlocking new scientific discoveries, creating religions, automating cultural progress and exploring the planet. I'm supposed to just check the game every now and then but I find myself just staring at the thing. Micro managing ressources, waiting for the numbers to fill up. Oh, this game's got me good. Good thing I don't have a social life.

Share this topic:

• 238 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users