#3541 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:32 AM

View PostSerenity, on 31 August 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

'weird weaboo game'

D'rek will remember this.

Anyway, downloaded the console version of Stellaris via Game Pass yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3542 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:39 PM

I'm two thirds or so into Control.

I'm not in love with the game but it is fun.

I think they've stated it's a lower budget game but you certainly don't notice it, it's beautiful. However there's also some aspect of it that's hard to describe that doesn't feel right to me.

Something about the narrative and the upgrade system and how inconsequential the collectibles feel. I think my real issue is that it's not weird enough, there's not enough secrets.

#3543 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:49 PM

Rather than power through Act 3 of Bound by Flame (saving that for the weekend), I went back to "Dust: An Elysian Tail", a game I was playing right before Sekiro came out. I'm getting further in, about a 3rd of the way so far. It's light, has kid-friendly aesthetics, despite being about a race of anthropomorphic rabbits conducting a genocidal war on a race of sentient lizard-people (no, really. And this game is rated E10!). Your companion/ranged magic attack is a flying cat demon thing, and there's a lot of cringeworthy dialogue that's trying to be both juvenile and inoffensive, and ends up skirting the "so bad it's all right" category.

Still, the 2d hack'n'slashing is kinda DMC-esque, in that you want to lift enemies into the air, and then keep smashing them before using your whirly-sword move to rack up combo score and critical hits.

Sadly, now my damage is too high, and I'm unable to get a high-enough combo to meet the quest requirement, because enemies die too fast. oh, and I grinded out 2 levels yesterday, because I kept re-entering the same area to get to a chest that's way up in the air, and the only way to get up there is to do a flawless aerial corkscrew combo on a bunch of baby dragons that try to punch you to death. I got there once, but I didn't have enough keys to unlock the chest. So now when I do, naturally, I can't get up there.

Still, it's a pleasant enough distraction. Got a lot of metroidvania influences, too, so I'm backtracking between locations I can select on a world map to collect all the secrets, which is nice.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3544 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:21 AM

Finished File 6 of Astral Chain over the weekend, which means I'm roughly half way through it. The boss at the end of that chapter was brilliant.

Also finished chapter 7 of Valkyria Chronicles 4. This one's scratching the tactical RPG itch a hell of a lot better than Fire Emblem Three Houses did, much as it pains me to say it.

#3545 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

I’ve been playing quite a bit of Three Houses with a friend. It’s been a long while since I’ve played a JRPG. We’ve nicknamed the game pedo teacher because, well, let’s face it...

Enjoying it a lot though, having fun agreeing with everyone to get them to like us no matter how fascist or fanatical their opinions are :) Haven’t got too far yet, just unlocked the blacksmith so we can finally repair weapons and got the relic super sword.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#3546 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

The Worm is no game, the Worm loves us as it always has and always will.

#3547 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 10 September 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

I've been playing quite a bit of Three Houses with a friend. It's been a long while since I've played a JRPG. We've nicknamed the game pedo teacher because, well, let's face it...

Enjoying it a lot though, having fun agreeing with everyone to get them to like us no matter how fascist or fanatical their opinions are :) Haven't got too far yet, just unlocked the blacksmith so we can finally repair weapons and got the relic super sword.

I think it's a good game, I'm just not sure it's a particularly good Fire Emblem game. The battles are still brilliant, but the other stuff . . . They've lurched far too far into the Persona-style stuff between missions for my liking. I like Persona, I love Fire Emblem, I don't like them mashed together. Hey, the world's falling apart around us but let's go back to the monastery and have a tea party. Ooh, I've found all these lost items, I wonder who they belong to. It's needless padding. Give me more battle instead.

And, without getting spoilery, I've done one play through so far, and the story for the house I chose ended with an event that came completely out of nowhere with zero explanation. This is obviously something to do with one of the other houses, and would be explained in their story. I understand they built the game with four possible routes through it, but to have absolutely no explanation pissed me off so much after 70+ hours worth of play, and the thought have having to wade through all that Persona run-around-the-monastery relationship stuff just to get to the bits I really enjoyed, is putting me off playing through that other house to find out what the hell that ending was all about. I'll be going back to Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and play a proper FE game instead.

Rant over :lol:

The funny thing is, I've tried to play the original Valkyria Chronicles on several occasions, back to when it first came out on PS3, and never finished it because the between mission anime stuff was a stumbling block for me. But now, compared to all the aforementioned messing around in Three Houses, I'm finding it a breath of fresh air.

#3548 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:07 AM

Ah man, the check points in Control are infuriatingly poorly thought out.

Fighting a stupid side boss sequence gets unappealing when you have to sit through a 30-60 second post death load window and then run back to the boss for a minute. Then accidentally die 2 seconds later because flying is hard.

#3549 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:21 PM

the graphis fo astral chain just look so wierd. it bugs me

#3550 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

I think the graphics are great, especially handheld.

#3551 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

Finished Control just in time for Borderlands 3.

I'm unsure about my feelings on Control. The exploration is fun. It has some cool lore. The combat can be fun, buuut... It's just an awkward game. Enemies are repetitive, upgrade system is stupid, checkpoints are abyssmal, lots of copy paste content. And the ending is bad.

Still, I hope they make a direct sequel. The Federal Bureau of Control has a ton of potential.

#3552 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

Put some more time into Stellaris. Got a decent, growing empire on - about 14 planets now. My biggest rivals (who don't trust me but aren't openly rivals yet) have about 23 planets, however I have an idependence treaty with a slightly smaller empire to the south who like me a very great deal.

Thankfully, between me and the big empire is a fallen empire... So if they get too big for their boots, they'll awaken the fallen ones and get crushed.

I have unrestricted expansion to the north and east, so spreading my tendrils out that way.

#3553 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

Started up Borderlands 3. Initial impression, it's great but they've locked the badass achievement system behind completing the story campaign. That sucks!

#3554 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:43 AM

View PostAptorian, on 13 September 2019 - 07:28 AM, said:

Started up Borderlands 3. Initial impression, it's great but they've locked the badass achievement system behind completing the story campaign. That sucks!

What the slab, Slab? That ain't what a Slab wants to hear!

#3555 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 13 September 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

Put some more time into Stellaris. Got a decent, growing empire on - about 14 planets now. My biggest rivals (who don't trust me but aren't openly rivals yet) have about 23 planets, however I have an idependence treaty with a slightly smaller empire to the south who like me a very great deal.

Thankfully, between me and the big empire is a fallen empire... So if they get too big for their boots, they'll awaken the fallen ones and get crushed.

I have unrestricted expansion to the north and east, so spreading my tendrils out that way.

Yeah, I remember that feeling. Then it all came crashing down around me :lol:

#3556 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

View PostSerenity, on 13 September 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

It is bloody good fun, though.

#3557 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:30 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 13 September 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

View PostSerenity, on 13 September 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

It is bloody good fun, though.

Sure is, although I haven't played it since getting into Endless Space 2, so I expect there's been a hell of a lot of changes.

#3558 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:28 AM

A warm, out of the oven, ooey-gooey, chocolate chip cookie for the first forum member to reply with the game I'm playing (tall, cold, glass of milk complimentary).Posted Image

Posted Image

#3559 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:20 AM

Bejeweled Blitz!

#3560 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

Pub G on your phone!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 237 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users